more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Greatest guitar solos

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, October 06, 2014, 02:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: FP on October 06, 2014, 04:24:01 PM
This might be a little ...... different?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxwceLlaODM&list=RDRxwceLlaODM#t=388

Excellent stuff, 12 string I assume.   How do they play that with only 10 fingers (8+2)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

YoungsBitter

The 60's British blues players like Peter Green, Mick Taylor, Jimmy Page, Jeremy Spencer, Eric Clapton, Tony TS McPhee and to a degree Jeff Beck were all influenced by Muddy Waters, Elmore James and Howlin Wolf.
The Americans like Winter, Thorogood, the Vaughn brothers and Satriani wee influenced by the British blues guys above.
Hendrix was influenced by the blues originals but also took some of the learnings of the Brits. Gary Clark Junior is probably the best blues player today although Jackie Green gets a shout.
For technical playing the speed metal guys are probably underrated and many have names the jazz players like Al Di Meola, McLaughlin and Beck probably belongs with them as does Pat Metheny.
I would argue the one guy that could play it all, blues, jazz, metal, rock and doo-wop was Frank Zappa and there is just too much of his soloing available to pick one song - try anything on Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar Vol 1-3, or Trance Fusion. Steve Vai admits he learned more about guitar technique from Zappa than anyone else. This is unusual as its a TV chat show that Frank plays as well as gets interviewed, it has strange hair, 70's suits, amazing guitar playing and features Kenny Rogers occupying a seat, stage right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSPdg4yPwAg
And to make the original point Frank says he was first influenced by Howling Wolf, Johnny Guitar Watson....
Quark, strangeness and charm

Fulham Joe

In my opinion, Jimmy Hendrix is so overrated it's embarrasing.
He was from a time when you had to heap praise on everyone who was not white.
Show me something that justifies him having the title best ever guitarist.
You won't because you can't.

Anyway this is my own personal favourite, suck Jimmy Hendrix.

This is just so good.

Dire Straits - Telegraph Road - [Basel 92] part 2

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: YoungsBitter on October 08, 2014, 01:20:55 AM
The 60's British blues players like Peter Green, Mick Taylor, Jimmy Page, Jeremy Spencer, Eric Clapton, Tony TS McPhee and to a degree Jeff Beck were all influenced by Muddy Waters, Elmore James and Howlin Wolf.
The Americans like Winter, Thorogood, the Vaughn brothers and Satriani wee influenced by the British blues guys above.
Hendrix was influenced by the blues originals but also took some of the learnings of the Brits. Gary Clark Junior is probably the best blues player today although Jackie Green gets a shout.
For technical playing the speed metal guys are probably underrated and many have names the jazz players like Al Di Meola, McLaughlin and Beck probably belongs with them as does Pat Metheny.
I would argue the one guy that could play it all, blues, jazz, metal, rock and doo-wop was Frank Zappa and there is just too much of his soloing available to pick one song - try anything on Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar Vol 1-3, or Trance Fusion. Steve Vai admits he learned more about guitar technique from Zappa than anyone else. This is unusual as its a TV chat show that Frank plays as well as gets interviewed, it has strange hair, 70's suits, amazing guitar playing and features Kenny Rogers occupying a seat, stage right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSPdg4yPwAg
And to make the original point Frank says he was first influenced by Howling Wolf, Johnny Guitar Watson....

The Rolling Stones  first album is all copies of blues musicians including Chuck Berry, Sonny Boy Williamson, Bo Diddley etc.
Also The Animals, most of their music was 'borrowed' from the US.
Then these British bands + Cream, Chris Farlowe, Georgie Fame took the music back and strangely enough put a lot of the Black 'composers' on the US and British maps.
Meanwhile Geno Washington, Jimmy James were playing it around West London and beyond

K33NY

Rating solos for me is so damn hard, I was lucky to have a musician of a father so he tought me proper music (imo) he tought me Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Carlos Santana, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, BB King, Eagles, The Beatles, you name it rating guitar/bass/drum solos is for me allmost impossible because pending on my modd and what type of music artist I am hooked on at the moment varies so oftem one week or even month I can listen to Deep Purple, next is Iron Maiden, and most often it can be Blues, BB King, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters etc, I can only rate the best to me but not give them a number or compare but my favourite list is:

Deep Purple: Highway Star, BOTH solos in this one is simply magnificent and thrilling to listen to
Deep Purple: Burn, gives me chills everytime
Iron Maiden: Fear of the dark
BB King: Blues Boys Tune, seriously, can anyone play guitar better than him? I do not think so, he makes hes guitar sing and cry as my father said ;)
Queen: Bohemian Rapsody, FANTASTIC solo! Love it!
Guns n Roses: Sweet Child of Mine!
Pnk Floyd: Comfortably Numb, it such a beautiful solo!

But one that is very, very special to me is

Eagles: Hotel California,....... this is for me a vey hard one to even write about..... my father as mentioned earlier was a musician, a guitarists, he tought me all the best when it comes to music... he was in love with this song, this solo and he played it excactly if not better and yes I am serious, he played in bands and as young toured in several countries (no famous band though) he INSISTED to play this song no matter what and after I was born he settled in Norway, went into a small band and played this song, everytime..... he could pick up hes Fender Stratocaster and play it without warning at home just because he was thinking of it.... and people asked him several times to play it on gigs.....

After he passed away, it took me allmost 2 years until I could listen to it again...... if it was ever played on the radio I needed to leave the room, and sometimes I still have to.... God this song, this solo means so much to me.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0G1Ucw5HDg

sorry if this post got way to emotional, but it was really hard for me to even start listing solos because I knew this one was the one solo wich is most dear to me....

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Fulham Joe on October 08, 2014, 01:53:22 AM
In my opinion, Jimmy Hendrix is so overrated it's embarrasing.
He was from a time when you had to heap praise on everyone who was not white.
Show me something that justifies him having the title best ever guitarist.
You won't because you can't.

Anyway this is my own personal favourite, suck Jimmy Hendrix.

This is just so good.[/i]

I'm glad you posted that and I'm not just jumping on your coat tails.
I also think he was very overrated.

It was the hippy era and he and any of his audiences were zapped out of their skulls.
It's amazing that most of the other guitarists mentioned on here are  far superior
(except Hank Marvin) and yet he has sustained popularity.
And his vocals were awful

From that era and on the same Woodstock bill was Stephen Stills (+C&N) a very underrated
musician  and composer.   Some of his stuff with Manassas was wonderful, with Chris Hillman from The Byrds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clYD_5FQVaw

Fulham Joe

FP

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on October 07, 2014, 11:27:08 PM
Quote from: FP on October 06, 2014, 04:24:01 PM
This might be a little ...... different?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxwceLlaODM&list=RDRxwceLlaODM#t=388

Excellent stuff, 12 string I assume.   How do they play that with only 10 fingers (8+2)

It's a 10-string, very interesting stuff invented by Yepes. You can check more info here http://www.tenstringguitar.info/

Of course i love many of the guitar solos mentioned in this post (Confortably Numb 2nd solo being one of my favorites) but i always found this piece amaizing

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

One of the first (if not the first) female guitarists from The Applejacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO8VJwlwCQY

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: K33NY on October 08, 2014, 02:00:06 AM
Rating solos for me is so damn hard, I was lucky to have a musician of a father so he tought me proper music (imo) he tought me Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Carlos Santana, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, BB King, Eagles, The Beatles, you name it rating guitar/bass/drum solos is for me allmost impossible because pending on my modd and what type of music artist I am hooked on at the moment varies so oftem one week or even month I can listen to Deep Purple, next is Iron Maiden, and most often it can be Blues, BB King, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters etc, I can only rate the best to me but not give them a number or compare but my favourite list is:

Deep Purple: Highway Star, BOTH solos in this one is simply magnificent and thrilling to listen to
Deep Purple: Burn, gives me chills everytime
Iron Maiden: Fear of the dark
BB King: Blues Boys Tune, seriously, can anyone play guitar better than him? I do not think so, he makes hes guitar sing and cry as my father said ;)
Queen: Bohemian Rapsody, FANTASTIC solo! Love it!
Guns n Roses: Sweet Child of Mine!
Pnk Floyd: Comfortably Numb, it such a beautiful solo!

But one that is very, very special to me is

Eagles: Hotel California,....... this is for me a vey hard one to even write about..... my father as mentioned earlier was a musician, a guitarists, he tought me all the best when it comes to music... he was in love with this song, this solo and he played it excactly if not better and yes I am serious, he played in bands and as young toured in several countries (no famous band though) he INSISTED to play this song no matter what and after I was born he settled in Norway, went into a small band and played this song, everytime..... he could pick up hes Fender Stratocaster and play it without warning at home just because he was thinking of it.... and people asked him several times to play it on gigs.....

After he passed away, it took me allmost 2 years until I could listen to it again...... if it was ever played on the radio I needed to leave the room, and sometimes I still have to.... God this song, this solo means so much to me.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0G1Ucw5HDg

sorry if this post got way to emotional, but it was really hard for me to even start listing solos because I knew this one was the one solo wich is most dear to me....

That's a nice heartfelt story, amazing how a song can have so much effect on a life'
Excellent post

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Anything by Justin Bieber. ....
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Harold Shand

I'm staggered that Johhny Marr has not even had a mention.

grandad

Andrés Segovia, was a virtuoso Spanish classical guitarist from Linares, Spain. He has been regarded as one of the greatest guitarists of all time. No electronic or synthesised assistance. Pure acoustic playing.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Fulham Joe

Can I just put this up because Dave Edmunds deserves some credit for this?

dave edmunds sabre dance

Southcoastffc

Having just been to London to see Sunny Afternoon (excellent musical about the Kinks) I had forgotten just how very very good Dave Davies was.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

dgnffc

I'd also include T-Bone Walker and Buddy Guy in this list. From today, I'd choose Joe Bonamassa - have a listen to the out solo on this from 4:05 in (it didn't make the released chart version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLR_bSzPTiY

Also listen to any of his acoustic performances.

Another good Brit is Aynsley Lister

grimmynz

Well opinions seem to differ more about music than they do about football.
I always rate Rory Gallagher among the very best, not just blues but he could do folk, jazz, even baroque style? Someone else thought he was quite good too:
How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don't know, go ask Rory Gallagher.'
—Jimi Hendrix

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I mentioned him in my OP.
Hard to imagine he died nearly 20 years ago and 3 of the greats from Ireland "Him, Gary Moore and Phil Lynott" have all gone.
Although Lynott was 'considered' a Dubliner, he was actually born in  "Boing Boing land"  

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I'm surprised no one (including me, I forgot) has mentioned Mike Oldfield.
The album Tubular Bells is a classic (the first one on Virgin Records)
which of course got Richard Branson on his way.
They both have a lot to thank each other for.
Tubular Bells at Edinburgh Castle..........yummmeeeeeeeee

Another one, and I've no idea of his name, Meat Loaf's guitarist for many years

HatterDon

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on October 10, 2014, 02:03:09 AM
I'm surprised no one (including me, I forgot) has mentioned Mike Oldfield.
The album Tubular Bells is a classic (the first one on Virgin Records)
which of course got Richard Branson on his way.
They both have a lot to thank each other for.
Tubular Bells at Edinburgh Castle..........yummmeeeeeeeee

Another one, and I've no idea of his name, Meat Loaf's guitarist for many years

His name is Spicy Ketchup
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel