https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Continuing the theme. The wost singer, band or song to have been successfu

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, October 07, 2014, 03:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blingo

Quote from: CorkedHat on October 08, 2014, 10:58:37 AM
Quote from: blingo on October 07, 2014, 05:23:11 PM
Whiter shade of pale. Procul Harem. I hate that song with a vengeance. Why it ever became popular I will never understand and it ranks alongside LS in my hate list.

Blingo Blingo and there was I thinking we were brothers from a different mother. I absolutely love the song but I guess it reflects a part of my life of which we shall not now speak.

Mr HAT. How lovely to see you posting on here. :) It's been a while m8 and a load mor water under the bridge here. Hope you are keeping well Sir. As for WS of P come on, I loved Jennifer Eccles and Young Girl lol ;)

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: Delboy on October 08, 2014, 11:57:36 AM

But as a novelty song the lyrics to Ernie by Benny Hill are brilliant.
"  He said, "D'you want it pasturize? 'Cause pasturize is best,"
She says, "Ernie, I'll be happy if it comes up to my chest."

That tickled old Ernie

I've always liked that song, as my handle may suggest
Never ever bloody anything ever.

epsomraver

Quote from: Delboy on October 08, 2014, 11:57:36 AM
Terry Wogan had a hit with the Floral Dance, pretty damned awful if you ask me.
But as a novelty song the lyrics to Ernie by Benny Hill are brilliant.
"  He said, "D'you want it pasturize? 'Cause pasturize is best,"
She says, "Ernie, I'll be happy if it comes up to my chest."

That tickled old Ernie

true story, my uncle who has prepaid his funeral with the Coop so get the divi while he is still kicking, has chosen that as the song to close the service, I kid you not!

Forever Fulham

Quote from: andyk on October 07, 2014, 08:56:27 PM
Quote from: Buffalo76 on October 07, 2014, 08:19:53 PM
The Smiths - complete and utter rubbish.

You may sleep but you will never dream!
I don't agree.  The Smiths were the greatest alternative music band of all time.  Morrissey (sp?) was one of the greatest pop/rock singers I have ever heard.  Arguably the best male singer of the 1980s.  Johnny Marr is simply a phenomenal guitarist.  There's never been a group like them.  Morrissey's music will remain relevant and interesting 20 years from now.  Can't say that about so many musical acts.  Songs of quiet frustration, loneliness, depression, angst, regret, insecurity, introspection, and homosexual vantage points are certainly not everyone's cup of musical tea.  But their music was high art.  I defy anyone to listen to their masterpiece, "Old House" (or is it "Back to the Old House"?) and suggest otherwise.  "Girlfriend in a Coma"; "Hairdresser on Fire"; "Every Day is Like Sunday"--just to name a few great songs.  It's a shame Marr and Morrissey went their separate ways.  What could have been...

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 08, 2014, 05:07:22 PM
Quote from: andyk on October 07, 2014, 08:56:27 PM
Quote from: Buffalo76 on October 07, 2014, 08:19:53 PM
The Smiths - complete and utter rubbish.

You may sleep but you will never dream!
I don't agree.  The Smiths were the greatest alternative music band of all time.  Morrissey (sp?) was one of the greatest pop/rock singers I have ever heard.  Arguably the best male singer of the 1980s.  Johnny Marr is simply a phenomenal guitarist.  There's never been a group like them.  Morrissey's music will remain relevant and interesting 20 years from now.  Can't say that about so many musical acts.  Songs of quiet frustration, loneliness, depression, angst, regret, insecurity, introspection, and homosexual vantage points are certainly not everyone's cup of musical tea.  But their music was high art.  I defy anyone to listen to their masterpiece, "Old House" (or is it "Back to the Old House"?) and suggest otherwise.  "Girlfriend in a Coma"; "Hairdresser on Fire"; "Every Day is Like Sunday"--just to name a few great songs.  It's a shame Marr and Morrissey went their separate ways.  What could have been...

That style of 'stuff' reminds me of Leonard Cohen.
Apparently the artist that most people play when committing suicide (if of course they play music)
or even worse Lou Reed who has a voice like a frog farting
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

HatterDon

One of the things I never understood about England was the fact that "Daddy" songs -- all of them disgustingly cheap sentimentality -- managed to make it into the top 10. "Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast" and "Grandad" were the worst, but honestly, in the 60s and 70s there were some serious embarrassments making your charts.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Barrett487

Love me love my dog ~ Peter Shelley

Honey ~ Bobby Goldsboro

Someone pass me a bucket!! (unless there's a hole in it dear Liza)

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: HatterDon on October 08, 2014, 06:30:42 PM
One of the things I never understood about England was the fact that "Daddy" songs -- all of them disgustingly cheap sentimentality -- managed to make it into the top 10. "Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast" and "Grandad" were the worst, but honestly, in the 60s and 70s there were some serious embarrassments making your charts.

HD,
It's just a quaint English idiosyncrasy.

Debbie Reynolds (a Texan) in the movie "The Singing Nun"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nwwn9vie-4&list=PL5mGbOm_gTXAPJ6sXIVlqO72TA0WjYOVk

Got to number 1 in the US and she appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show   :0)

It's not father or grandad related because 'Dominique' was a priest

mullers

Most overrated: ABBA or the Beatles [and I'm unfortunate -and old - enough to have seen the 'fab' four live, my dad worked at the Hammersmith Odeon]. But the worst ever band is Pink Floyd. Forget the lousy childlike albums, they were too stoned to play at Wembley in '74, and a mate who loves them and was at that gig says he's seen them worse than then twice at Earl's Court. you have to be a brick to appreciate that lot.

Forever Fulham

Adding to the list:

The Pina Colada Song by ________________.

And "(God Didn't Make Those) Little Green Apples" by Bobby Goldsboro.    Treacle.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Berserker

What about 'Seasons in the Sun', definitely a bucket job
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

CorkedHat

Quote from: The Equalizer on October 08, 2014, 04:45:14 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on October 08, 2014, 12:42:54 PM
Has to be ABBA.  Hate them.

Arguably the greatest pop group of all time after The Beatles? I don't think I know anyone who truly hates ABBA. They created something incredible in the time they were together, but I know it's not everyones cup of tea.

Sorry Tom - I'm with our friend South Coast. I hate ABBA - so that's two of us at least!
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Southcoastffc

Quote from: epsomraver on October 08, 2014, 05:04:43 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on October 08, 2014, 12:42:54 PM
Has to be ABBA.  Hate them.
That really is nonsense
Why nonsense? Personal taste is just that, personal.  I am not asking you to like or dislike them but ABBA, for me, are very professionally produced but synthetic, without passion, facile and utterly boring.  Using a food analogy they're more bubble gum than foie gras. Clearly millions of people take a different view but that's mine - hence the title of the thread.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Two Ton Ted

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Two Ton Ted

I hate; music made by a computer with a pretty face's voice altered over the top of it. Hello X factor, I'm talking to you.
Rap/rnb about guns, hos and mo money, a million miles away from what rap was, Public Enemy being the best Rap band ever.
Most heavy metal - motorhead, ac/dc etc are rock and roll, not heavy metal.
indie by numbers- landfill indie, whatever you want to call it. Xfm is plagued by the boring dirges of upper middle class boys crying coz their girlfriends leave them. I blame the Smiths for a lot of this, although I do like the Smiths.

Music is subjective, and it's not my fault other people's music taste is not as good as mine.

CorkedHat

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

rogerpbackinMidEastUS