https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: best drummer

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, October 07, 2014, 11:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the nutflush

Quote from: The Bronsons on October 08, 2014, 06:48:31 AM
Dave Grohl

He is a musical genius.  I can't rate him highly enough. 

Rob Hirst from Midnight Oil is the best drummer I have seen live.  Check out his drum solo in "The Power and the Passion".

yatewhite

1. Got to be Keith Moon
2. Danny Seraphine (early Chicago, before they went all ballady)
3. John Hiseman

Delboy

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on October 08, 2014, 07:53:44 PM
Quote from: Stefano Okaka Chuka on October 08, 2014, 04:21:40 PM
Also Tommy Aldridge from Whitesnake and Mikkey Dee from Motorhead.
I used to frequent the Turks Head also, did you ever see Ronnie Lane sing from the fire place?

Talking of Whitesnake, I used to drink with Mick Moody in the Turks Head, St Margaret's
He left them just before they really took off.
I remember he used to come home from tours and whilst he was away his wife used to
record every episode of Corrie Street.
As soon as he got back he'd 'binge watch' every episode before he did anything else.

Amazing to think that a heavy rock guitarist would play in front of 10.000's knowing that
Ena Sharples, Minnie Caldwell and Martha Longhurst were waiting for him at home  (ish)

The Equalizer

Quote from: SoCalJoe on October 09, 2014, 02:16:31 AM
Funnest drum solo;  Tommy Lee being strapped in and his entire drum kit doing somersaults in the air with Motley Crue.

That was on the Girls Girls Girls tour wasn't it?

I see nobody has mentioned Phil from Emergency Bitter yet!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Delboy

Clem Cattini, who was one of the orininal Tornados, went on to become a session drummer and has played with loads of groups, too many to list, must be up there.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

While some af the previously mentioned drummers are competent, they just don't measure up to Neil.

You're right.

Neal Peart        6' 4"
Tommy Lee      6' 2"
Dave Grohl       6' 0"
John Bonham   5' 10"
Buddy Rich       5' 9"
Keith Moon       5' 9"
Gene Krupa      5' 8"
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Andy_M

Having read through this entire thread I cannot believe my eyes that not one person has mentioned Travis Barker. As a drummer there is nothing the guy can't do. Have had the pleasure of seeing some of his drum solo's live and they are incredible.

Youtube him and you'll see some great videos.

@got_maile

cottage expat

Gene Krupa; Buddy Rich; special one Baker = the three greats

Cottagism

Late to the party, I should like - for what it's worth - to add:

* Dave Mattacks

* Steve Gadd (If the only thing he'd ever done was 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover, it would be quite enough to secure his legacy)

* Levon Helm (the drumming on those The Band albums - the faves for me being "The Band" and "Stage Fright" - is just so damn musical)

Willard

Elvin Jones
Tony Williams
special one Baker
Billy Cobham
Arthur 'Artie' Tripp (The Mothers and Captain Beefheart)
Keef Hartley - RIP

CorkedHat

Earl Palmer - in my view nobody comes close, and yet nobody has mentioned him even though he is in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us