watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Musicians who have influenced other musicians

Started by love4ffc, October 12, 2014, 06:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

..Kya.ffc..

Beers may have been involved in this post.

Big Martin Jol

A terrible cliché, but Michael Jackson had perhaps the definitive influence on mainstream music (across several genres) today.

It's fashionable to rubbish him - particularly as a Fulham fan - but if you can let yourself forget the guff surrounding him, he really was something else as a musician and a performer. I saw him live once (and had tickets to see him again, but he went and died on me) and the sheer energy and precise choreography was astonishing. His voice was fantastic too, four octaves I think? He doesn't get a lot of credit for it.

Of course he took his inspiration from the likes of James Brown and Sammy Davis Jr. and acted as a conduit for their influence, which we see in Justin Timberlake, Usher, Ne-Yo, Lady Gaga etc. today.

I know a lot of people (old timers  :005:) will claim that the latter group aren't fit to clean the shoes of the former group, but I think that's just a matter of viewing your own 'era' through rose-tinted spectacles. I do it myself.

That aside, in my mind MJ was really the first of the 'contemporary' superstars, and with the media being as diffuse as it is today we probably won't see anyone have the same level of influence again.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

ToodlesMcToot

My dear forgetful friends, I give you the influencer of all musical influencers......Gunga!

http://youtu.be/UnwOE_44D9M
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

love4ffc

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on October 15, 2014, 05:36:50 PM
My dear forgetful friends, I give you the influencer of all musical influencers......Gunga!

http://youtu.be/UnwOE_44D9M
Too funny sir! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

love4ffc

I have to say I have really enjoyed these music threads the last two weeks.  I have had fun learning new artist and plugging them into my Pandora to see what mixes would come. 

For those who do not know but might enjoy, below is a link to a music TV show channel that I thoroughly enjoy.  It shows everything from documentaries to worldwide concerts with a wide range of music taste.  This has become one of my favorite TV channels. 

http://www.palladia.tv/schedule.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Harold Shand

Kraftwerk
Roxy Music
Can
Talking Heads
Leonard Cohen
and of course "The God like genius" of Scott Walker

WhiteJC

Todd Rundgren
Walt Becker & Donald Fagen (Steely Dan)
Lennon & McCartney
Pete Townsend
Peter Green (the original Fleetwood Mac)

ron

I'd suggest Chuck Berry, and all these old timers like Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf  for what used to be "R&B" underpinning popular music...tho' R&B is now referring to a manufactured female kind of product.

ron

Quote from: Harold Shand on October 16, 2014, 09:57:22 AM
Kraftwerk
Roxy Music
Can
Talking Heads
Leonard Cohen

Most of the people that Leonard Cohen influenced finished up in the mortuary, victims of depression....stick on "The Sisters of Mercy" and pass the gin please......

Forever Fulham

Quote from: ron on October 16, 2014, 08:16:05 PM
Kraftwerk
Roxy Music
Can
Talking Heads
Leonard Cohen

Most of the people that Leonard Cohen influenced finished up in the mortuary, victims of depression....stick on "The Sisters of Mercy" and pass the gin please......
A poor man's Dylan, I think.  Never saw the appeal.  As for Canadians, Joni Mitchell and Bruce Cockburn were more influential. So was Gordon Lightfoot.

Harold Shand

Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 16, 2014, 10:47:17 PM
Kraftwerk
Roxy Music
Can
Talking Heads
Leonard Cohen

A poor man's Dylan, I think.  Never saw the appeal.  As for Canadians, Joni Mitchell and Bruce Cockburn were more influential. So was Gordon Lightfoot.

Only The Beatles & Dylan have had their songs covered by more artists than Cohen.

He is the most wittiest, funniest and clever lyricist I've ever heard.
But then that's covering his whole body of work, not just his sixties output.

You might not like him, but to claim he is less influential than Gordon Lighfoot (and i like him) is preposterous.
The sisters of mercy.....funny to use that example when there is a band who took that name in homage to him.

People as diverse as Terry Hall, Ian McCulloch, Trent Reznor, U2 & Guy Garvey are all massive fans of the great mans work.

And as for Canadians Neil Young not worth a mention ?

Forever Fulham

Quote from: Harold Shand on October 17, 2014, 01:21:47 PM
Kraftwerk
Roxy Music
Can
Talking Heads
Leonard Cohen

A poor man's Dylan, I think.  Never saw the appeal.  As for Canadians, Joni Mitchell and Bruce Cockburn were more influential. So was Gordon Lightfoot.

Only The Beatles & Dylan have had their songs covered by more artists than Cohen.

You might not like him, but to claim he is less influential than Gordon Lighfoot (and i like him) is preposterous.
The sisters of mercy.....funny to use that example when there is a band who took that name in homage to him.

People as diverse as Terry Hall, Ian McCulloch, Trent Reznor, U2 & Guy Garvey are all massive fans of the great mans work.

I devoted earlier thread discussion to Young, one of my three most favorite music artists.  I don't have hard facts at my disposal to back me up in my disagreement with your assessment of Leonard Cohen.  So, I'll take it on faith that he has a large fan base.  And that astonishes me.  His singing is like a dirge, flat, monotone delivery.  It gets old and inaccessible after the first song in any album of his.  I like Bird on a Wire, but only as a poem, not as a song.  I like the Berlin song, but again, only for its written structure. As music, it is horrible to listen to.  Inaccessible.  When you listen to Bob Dylan's music, the artist is equally gifted in both wordsmith and performance.  Each song is musically styled, delivered, in a unique way.  Some songs are a kind of singing rap, with great attention paid to the manner of delivery, each so different from the next.  I don't get that from Cohen's work.  But that's what makes a horse race, I guess.  Different opinions. 

TonyGilroy

Cohen's importance is unarguable.

It's not compulsory to like him.

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

aconnecticutyankee

In no particular order..

Elvis
Chuck Berry
Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard
Bo Diddley
Muddy Waters
Carl Perkins
Fats Domino
James Brown
Bob Dylan

CorkedHat

Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 17, 2014, 03:45:15 PM
Quote from: Harold Shand on October 17, 2014, 01:21:47 PM
Kraftwerk
Roxy Music
Can
Talking Heads
Leonard Cohen

I devoted earlier thread discussion to Young, one of my three most favorite music artists.  I don't have hard facts at my disposal to back me up in my disagreement with your assessment of Leonard Cohen.  So, I'll take it on faith that he has a large fan base.  And that astonishes me.  His singing is like a dirge, flat, monotone delivery.  It gets old and inaccessible after the first song in any album of his.  I like Bird on a Wire, but only as a poem, not as a song.  I like the Berlin song, but again, only for its written structure. As music, it is horrible to listen to.  Inaccessible.  When you listen to Bob Dylan's music, the artist is equally gifted in both wordsmith and performance.  Each song is musically styled, delivered, in a unique way.  Some songs are a kind of singing rap, with great attention paid to the manner of delivery, each so different from the next.  I don't get that from Cohen's work.  But that's what makes a horse race, I guess.  Different opinions. 
[/quote

Talking about Canadians and Cohen. I absolutely love KD Lang's version of Hallelujah
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

LBNo11

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC