Main Menu

Patrick Roberts

Started by PaulJ123, October 15, 2014, 07:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

...and his brother posted this home-made vid of his goal yesterday:

http://instagram.com/p/uMBOMaHnHa/

zschwartz

probably you're looking at 3-4... unproven. though he is english so maybe 4-5?

hope he stays anyway.

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: zschwartz on October 17, 2014, 04:31:38 AM
probably you're looking at 3-4... unproven. though he is english so maybe 4-5?

hope he stays anyway.

I'm so sorry, but that is so wide of the mark that I can only think that you weren't around for the Smalling era!  That was 10 large for a 100% totally "unproven" young footballer. Roberts has more talent in his little toe than Smalling has in his whole body - our untried defender had never really achieved anything when Big Nose took him for 10 mill. 
On the other hand Roberts has proven himself to be one of the most talented players of his age in the whole of Europe.  Allow for  that, along with the facts that he can beat defenders of any level and any nationality, can score goals from all over the shop and has skills that Britain has not seen since in many decades, PLUS add in inflation.... then 15 mill is actually looking low.
And the size and strength factor?  Good lord. that's a ridiculous argument.  This is football, not rugby.  Smaller players with great skill and technique have proven themselves time and time again to be able to leave the hulking idiots many of you seem to adore flat on their ponderous arses.  Do we really need to name the names from Northern Ireland (and Fulham for a while), Argentina, France, even England? 
Nogoog "lacking strength my arse, isit" Boyo

kdjr100

I'm pretty sure at some point towards the end of last season we issued a £15m or don't even bother statement.

I'm not saying that means we will hold out for that but itdefinitely pushes the price up to around £10m.

Also I think he will stay for a bit, look at Derby and Hughes (he was supposedly wanted by everyone but is still there), we just need to have a little faith, make him feel loved and hopefully he will be able to develop along with the others into what we all know he can be.
"and there's a tidal wave on the Thames!"

cmg

A fuller version of the Belgium match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79X7SiiIySI#ws

Can't imagine what Roberts was playing at for our second goal. He neither scores nor assists it. Obviously overrated!

RPhillips

Quote from: shnlwswlkr on October 16, 2014, 09:42:46 AM
If we can sell Smalling for £10m, we should get £15-20 for Roberts.
I don't think more than £10m is in the cards. Don't forget that Smalling had actually played (and fairly well) at the Premier league level when we sold him, and had demonstrated the match experience and physical maturity (if not the pace!) that would allow him to slot in straight away to another Premier League side; whereas Patrick, who admittedly has great potential, is still a work in progress who has yet to be tested consistently at a high level of match competition.

PJFulhamFC

Would love to see him start a game to be honest, even though he isn't physically the strongest he has superb technique and will make a big impact in this division.

MJG

One thing you cant do is compare any transfer fees against other players.
they are far too random to say X player cost this at 19 so because this player is 21 he should be £Xm, or hes 17 and should be twice as much.
Its a fully market driven business and like houses is only worth what someone will pay and the club accept.

NogoodBoyo

Sorry MJG, I don' think you're right there.  All businesses benchmark talent.  If they don't, they have no clue about performance and results.
Nogood "flying blind, isit" Boyo

St Eve

Instead of accepting that he is going play him

filham

As a fan of many years I have seen many false dawns with promising young players (Kenny Achampong for instance) but Roberts looks so, so good that we must all be confident of a great future for him.
I will be so bold as to say that he can turn into the greatest Fulham talent since Haynes, he is not another Haynes of course , there can never be another Haynes. Roberts has a different style than Haynes but when he is waiting to receive the ball with his back to me and his body in perfect balance and the expectation I have of something exceptional about to happen I am reminded of Haynes. I wish Kit would play Roberts just behind the two strikers with a number ten on his back.

Regarding value to Fulham, similar to Haynes - priceless.