more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (19/10/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 18, 2014, 06:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

You Can`t Blame Him for Trying!

If anyone isn`t sure why Tim Hoogland was substituted so early in the game Kit Symons took time out to explain why afterwards.

Addressing the media afterwards, Symons reckons that Hoogland will be fit to face Rotherham in our next game but was withdrawn for medical reasons, commenting,

'He`s all right, he`s had a bad head cold in the last couple of days."

'I don`t think (the whack) helped but I don`t think it was from that, it was more from not feeling great."

'But to be fair to him, I spoke to him yesterday. I said if he`s not right I won`t play him. I would never put players out there who are not fully fit."

'But Tim phoned up and said he was really good and wants to go for it. So that`s showing great character and commitment to his team-mates and the football club."

'It didn`t work out for him today but as soon as he flagged it up we brought him off and hopefully he`ll be OK for Tuesday.'

Like we said, you can`t blame the lad for trying and nothing ventured nothing gained.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=373921#ixzz3GWfNoM1g

WhiteJC

Dismal Fulham Run Continues

Norwich City's hoodoo against Fulham continued today as the Canaries slumped to a 1-0 defeat at Craven Cottage and lost top spot into the bargain.

A first half strike on 22 minutes from Sean Kavanagh was enough to seal the points for the home side, as Lewis Grabban spurned the chance to get something from the game early in the second half as his penalty kick crashed against the underside of the bar.

Neil Adams made two changes to the side that drew against Rotherham last time out, with Steven Whittaker replacing the injured Jos Hooiveld and Alex Tettey replacing Johnny Howson in the midfield.

Kyle Lafferty's swollen knee kept him out of the squad but Gary Hooper returned to the bench for the first time this season.

Adams tweaked his formation to a 4-2-3-1 opting to play Lewis Grabban on the left wing with Wes Hoolahan sitting behind Jerome up top. I'm all for formation changes for certain opponents but what's wrong with playing a winger on the wing?

It seems to me that Adams wants to keep certain players in the team at the expense of playing them out of position. He always wants two strikers on the field and that's fine, but don't play one of them on the wing. It's no coincidence that Kyle Lafferty hasn't scored in the league yet from the left wing role he occupied early on in the season. I also think that now that Johnny Howson is fit that he should be in the team. He should play alongside Alex Tettey, in my opinion, as Johnson seems to have lost a little bit of form. His passing seems to have gone completely to pot.

Norwich had won their last four league games away from home but started slowly, and failed to force a single decent save from Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli in the first half.

A weak pass from Michael Turner was intercepted and quickly turned into a counter atttack by the excellent Scott Parker with the ball eventually coming to Kavanagh who scored from the edge of the area with a good strike - once again City conceded the first goal and were masters of their own demise.

Wes Hoolahan also had to clear Dan Burn's header off his own line in that first period after a Ruiz corner but the score line stayed the same with the half ending 1-0.

Immediately after the restart, City were given a lifeline when Burn was adjudged to have fouled Cameron Jerome in the Fulham box. The decision was given by the far side lino who was some distance away, much to the home support's chagrin.

But it was a chance wasted as Lewis Grabban's rising strike from the spot hit the underside of the bar with Tettey smashing the follow up over.

Josh Murphy replaced the injured Wes Hoolahan on 57 minutes with Wes having to be helped from the field with a nasty looking ankle injury - it seems highly unlikely that he will recover in time for Tuesday, so Neil will be forced into at least one change.

Grabban was replaced as well on 67 minutes by Gary Hooper although his body language wasn't great - as Rob Butler observed, he doesn't look like a player with a point to prove.

Norwich completely dominated the last third of the game but couldn't find the net as the ball didn't drop kindly. Josh Murphy was excellent after coming on and was arguably City's best player despite playing only just over 30 minutes. It was Josh who came closest to scoring as he cut in from the left and fired a terrific shot which struck the bar from 20 yards - Neil, the lad simply has to start against Leeds!

That was pretty much that and City lost to Fulham again, final score 1-0.

Changes are needed for Tuesday's visit of Leeds United. If Kyle Lafferty is fit, he should partner Jerome as Grabban looks like he needs a rest. Obviously Murphy should start on the left wing and Howson should replace Johnson.

Will Neil make changes? He's already quoted as saying he wouldn't be afraid to change a winning team but now is the time to change a losing one. Our squad has an abundance of riches and we cannot expect to win every game, but points have gone a begging in the last three games and it needs to stop.

The good thing about our league is that the games come so thick and fast that there is no time to dwell on defeats like this. We have a chance on Tuesday to well and truly put it behind us, although if Canary Call and Twitter are anything to go by then the disgruntled under current of moaners that I've referred to before are starting to stir.

Fail to beat Leeds and their numbers will increase.

OTBC

Read more: http://www.norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=373924#ixzz3GWfcM44O

WhiteJC

No lasting damage for Hoogland
by DAN on OCTOBER 18, 2014

Kit Symons believes that Tim Hoogland will be fit to start Tuesday's game at Rotherham despite being taken off midway through the first half during this afternoon's win over Norwich City.

The German full-back was substituted just after Sean Kavanagh scored the only goal of the game, but Symons told reporters after the match that the problem was more to do with illness than the bang to the face he took in the early stages of the contest.

He's all right, he's had a bad head cold in the last couple of days. So rather than it being a knock and a concussion he had a bad head cold and was feeling a bit light-headed.

I don't think (the whack) helped but I don't think it was from that, it was more from not feeling great. But to be fair to him, I spoke to him yesterday. I said if he's not right I won't play him. I would never put players out there who are not fully fit.

But Tim phoned up and said he was really good and wants to go for it. So that's showing great character and commitment to his team-mates and the football club. It didn't work out for him today but as soon as he flagged it up we brought him off and hopefully he'll be OK for Tuesday.

The 29 year-old is currently Fulham's top scorer having scored four times in thirteen appearances since signing from Schalke on a free transfer in June.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/10/no-lasting-damage-for-hoogland/?

WhiteJC

Symons hails battling Fulham and praises 'wonderful' youngster after Norwich win

Caretaker manager Kit Symons hailed the battling qualities displayed by his Fulham side after a 1-0 victory over high-flying Norwich brought them to within one point of climbing out of the Sky Bet Championship relegation zone.

The Cottagers triumphed thanks to Sean Kavanagh's first goal for the club in just his fifth appearance, although they had to rely on a slice of luck when Lewis Grabban hit the crossbar from the penalty spot.

"They were not top of the table for no reason," Symons said. "At times we rode our luck. It was a display full of character which I was delighted with.

"All the time I'm in situ in this position I'll just keep doing what I do. That's working as hard as I can on the training pitch and trying to win games for this great football club.

"I'm pretty sure three points as often as possible is not going to hurt my chances. I'll just keep plugging away.

"Nothing has been said (about when Fulham will appoint a permanent new manager). It won't be a rushed decision, it will be considered and it will be the right decision when it's made."

Fulham's goal came in the 22nd minute after a sweeping move from right to left which ended with Lasse Vigen Christensen teeing up Kavanagh, who took a touch before rifling past John Ruddy.

Symons added: "Sean's a player I know very well from the 18s and the Under-21s and I wouldn't wish that ball to fall to anyone other than him. He's got a wonderful left foot."

The defeat saw Norwich drop from first to fourth and the Canaries were left the rue Grabban's miss from the spot after Dan Burn was adjudged to have tripped Cameron Jerome.

Norwich manager Neil Adams said: "We're not picking up victories and that's the concern for me. We had 63 per cent possession which is massive away from home but in terms of creating genuine goal scoring opportunities, that didn't materialise.

"In terms of the performance and the way we're dominating the ball, it's fine. It's what it relates to then and we have to pick that up straight away.

"The first 20 minutes we were on top and Fulham break away and score with probably their first shot on goal and we have to look at that as well. We can't afford to do that, teams will defend against us and take those chances. We have to be better."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/symons_hails_battling_fulham_and_praises_wonderful_youngster_after_norwich_win_1_3811908