watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (21/10/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 21, 2014, 08:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Rotherham United: No guarantees against Fulham for Millers derby hero Jonson Clarke-Harris

Jonson Clarke-Harris

His manager says he has the potential to play in the Premier League, he was signed for a record fee and his wonderful first goal for the club has just swung a Yorkshire derby the way of Rotherham United.

Yet Jonson Clarke-Harris is still not a certain starter when the Millers face mighty Fulham at New York Stadium tonight.

"We have to be patient with him," says Rotherham boss Steve Evans.

"I think it will probably be 18 months before we see Jonson Clarke-Harris at his true level.

"I said the same when we signed Kieran Agard. I told the chairman it would be a year before we'd really see him, and it was. Then the kid went on to create some outstanding scoring records.

Evans describes 20-year-old striker Clarke-Harris as a "development project", but is certain the 20-year-old who was signed on transfer deadline day from Oldham Athletic has what it takes to one day mix it in elite company.

"When it comes to raw potential, and you measure age and physique and everything else, Jonson has one hell of a chance," Evans said.

"That's why there were some big, big clubs in the Championship and one club in the Premiership in particular who were all at the table to secure his services.

"But it's fair to say they saw him as a development project at under-21 level. We obviously see him as a development project in the first team. He's got the potential to play in the top flight.

Clarke-Harris smashed home the winning goal from nearly 25 yards infront of sell-out home two minutes after coming on as a substitute against Leeds United for his home debut.

And he can count among his admirers the Millers' Icelandic centre-half, Kari Arnason, who kept Robin van Persie and Arjen Robben goalless in his country's Euro 2016 Group A qualifying win over Holland.

Evans said: "I don't know if Robben and van Persie are still walking round our training ground because Kari brought them back with him in his pocket last week, but Kari has often said to me 'Gaffer, how good can this kid be?'. And he is a kid. He's 20."

Fulham, a Premier League club last season, arrive in Rotherham tonight rejuvenated under the caretaker reign of former player Kit Symons after a disastrous start to their Championship campaign with notorious taskmaster Felix Magath in charge.

"They've been in a European final, they've graced the Premier League for a number of seasons," Evans said,

"They've got enormous resources under a very wealthy owner. The boy, (Ross) McCormack, is a classy player, a top, top player. If they really did pay more than £11 million for him it shows you the type of willingness at owner level to see them immediately return to the top flight.

"They're in a great run of form under Kit (Symons). After Felix Magath, he's gone in there with his own passion and galvanised things. Put Danny Murphy in there beside Kit Symons. Would that work? I would think so.

"This is another big night at New York Stadium. They come with top-class players. They have players who were on the England team coach not so long ago. They're graced with talent and they're in a confident mood.

"They're relaxed, they're winning and Kit Symons isn't running them up and down the training ground for two and half hours four afternoons a week."

Evans will have side side champing at the bit for another huge test after the Leeds showdown.

"Three points tomorrow night certainly takes us into the top half of the table and, dare I say it, it takes us near the top 10. I'll fall off my stool," he said.

"If that was achieved, that would represent after 13 games a tremendous start."

http://www.southyorkshiretimes.co.uk/sport/local-sport/rotherham-united-no-guarantees-against-fulham-for-millers-derby-hero-jonson-clarke-harris-1-6906346

WhiteJC

Rotherham v Fulham: Evans looking for Millers to build on fine derby triumph

WITH the memories of Rotherham United's thrilling derby win over Leeds United still fresh in their minds, Steve Evans is forecasting "another big night" at the New York Stadium as Fulham head to South Yorkshire.

The Millers are unbeaten in three games, but the London club have been rejuvenated under interim manager Kit Symons and Evans knows the visitors will be dangerous opponents.

He said: "Fulham have been in a European final, they have graced the Premier League for a number of seasons. The current England manager was in the hot seat there not so long ago as well.

"They have got enormous resources under a very wealthy owner. Ross McCormack is a classy player, a top, top player. If they really did pay more than £11m for him (from Leeds last summer) it shows you the type of willingness at owner level to see them immediately return to the top flight.

"They are in a great run of form under Kit (Symons). After Felix Magath, he has gone in there with his own passion and galvanised things. Put Danny Murphy in there beside Kit Symons, would that work? I would think so.

"This is another big night at New York Stadium. Fulham come with top-class players. They have got players who were on the England team coach not so long ago.

"They are graced with talent and they are in a confident mood.

"They are relaxed, they are winning and Kit Symons isn't running them up and down the training ground for two and half hours, four afternoons a week."

Evans will be looking to harness the feel-good factor generated by not only last Friday's derby win over Leeds, but also the recent 2-0 home win over Blackburn Rovers and a battling 1-1 draw at Norwich City.

The Scot, who is hoping to make a couple of loan additions, added: "Friday was a fantastic night for the football club.

"For 45 minutes, they were better than us. We seemed to be not quite there for the occasion.

"But we came in at half-time and had some words – positive words, not negative words – about how we can play, what we were going to do.

"And, to be fair to the players, they went out second half and were like the Rotherham United who we have seen for the past two and a half years.

"Three points against Fulham certainly takes us into the top half of the table and, dare I say it, it would take us near the top 10.

"If that was achieved, that would represent a tremendous start after 13 games."

Last six games: Rotherham United LDLWDW, Fulham LWWWLW.

Referee: M Brown (East Yorkshire).

Last time: Rotherham United 1 Fulham 2; November 20, 1993; Division Two.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/rotherham/rotherham-v-fulham-evans-looking-for-millers-to-build-on-fine-derby-triumph-1-6906931

WhiteJC

Next Up: Rotherham United

Tuesday evening's game at New York Stadium sees Fulham and Rotherham United go head-to-head for the first time in more than 20 years.

The opposition

Following their dramatic Play-Off victory over Leyton Orient at the end of last season, Rotherham strengthened their squad significantly in the summer, with the likes of Matt Derbyshire, Kirk Broadfoot, Jordan Bowery, Frazer Richardson and Luciano Becchio all bringing Premier League experience.

After a decade's absence from England's second tier, Rotherham have made a fairly solid start to life back in the Championship, and currently occupy 15th place. After winning two of their opening four matches, they struggled for form for around a month and picked up just two points from 15 on offer.

But their last three outings have been considerably more fruitful. After seeing off Blackburn Rovers 2-0, they left Norfolk with a point after drawing 1-1 with Norwich City, before securing the Yorkshire bragging rights last time out when they came from behind to defeat Leeds United 2-1.

Team news

Rotherham could have a full complement of players to choose from after several individuals recovered from a bug which had hit the squad.

Inside the camp

Manager Steve Evans has been talking up the quality of the Fulham team ahead of the sides' meeting in South Yorkshire on Tuesday.

Both teams go into the game in good form, and Evans is wary of the threat posed by the Whites.

"Fulham have been in a European final, they have graced the Premier League for a number of seasons," he was quoted in the Yorkshire Post. "The current England manager was in the hot seat there not so long ago as well.

"They are in a great run of form under Kit [Symons]. He has gone in there with his own passion and galvanised things.

"This is another big night at New York Stadium. Fulham come with top-class players. They have got players who were on the England team coach not so long ago. They are graced with talent and they are in a confident mood."

Player to watch

Kari Arnason: Signed from Aberdeen two years ago, central defender Kari Arnason has gone on to make almost 100 appearances for Rotherham – during which time he's helped them to consecutive promotions – and is one of only two players to have started all 12 league games this term. Also capable of featuring in midfield, he has a dangerous long throw in his armoury and reads the game very well. Born in Sweden, he is a regular in the Iceland set-up and was part of the team which recently beat the Netherlands 2-0 in the European Qualifiers.

Marathonbet match odds

Rotherham United: 44/25

Draw: 12/5

Fulham: 7/4

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/october/21/next-up-rotherham?

WhiteJC

Kit Symons edges closer to Fulham job

It's now approaching the five week mark since Fulham pulled the plug on Felix Magath's miserable tenure at Craven Cottage and began the search for a new manager. A whole host of contenders have been linked with the Championship post but only one name has consistently featured in the top echelon of the market: caretaker manager Kit Symons.

Since inheriting a team with just one point from eight matches Symons has led the Cottagers to four victories in six games (including a League Cup win), with the previously rock-bottom Londoners now just one point adrift of safety. The club now have a chance to leap out of the relegation zone when they travel to Rotherham tonight (Tuesday), and if Symons is successful in leading his side to their fifth win in six games then, surely, the job is his.

Symons currently leads the way at the top of the betting at 8/11 with Sky Bet. The closest, and ostensibly only, challenger is the out-of-work Chris Hughton, who can currently be backed at a best-priced 13/8. Hughton was the odds-on frontrunner at the start of the weekend, however Fulham's superb win over high-flying Norwich combined with the sacking of Lee Clark by his former club Birmingham, appears to have altered matters.

http://www.thesackrace.com/news/21st-october-2014/kit-symons-edges-closer-to-fulham-job?

WhiteJC

Brede Hangeland backs Kit Symons for Fulham job

Former Fulham defender Brede Hangeland has said that Kit Symons should be given the manager's job on a permanent basis.

The Welshman has led the Cottagers to four wins from six matches since taking temporary charge following the sacking of Felix Magath last month.

Hangeland believes that Symons has lifted the mood at Craven Cottage since Magath's departure.

"He is a wonderful man and a very good manager, so it would not be a terrible choice if he was there [permanently]. What has happened in the last six months is a sad chapter in the club's history," Hangeland told the London Evening Standard.

"There seems to be more smiles around the place now and they have picked up some good results, so hopefully they can move up the table.

"Kit is a great guy, I can totally understand why there are more smiles around the place with him in charge. Hopefully he gets them winning some more games."

Fulham were relegated from the Premier League last season.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/hangeland-backs-symons-for-fulham-job_183794.html

WhiteJC

Grimmer joins Shrewsbury

Jack Grimmer: Willing to fight

Shrewsbury have swooped to sign Fulham defender Jack Grimmer on a month's loan.

Scotland Under-21 international Grimmer also spent a month on loan at Sky Bet League One club Port Vale last season.

"I'm willing to fight for my place and hopefully, given a chance, I will be able to do that," he told the club's official site.

"I am not expecting to come here and be a nailed-on certainty to start because that's not how football works.

"Looking at the fixtures, there are at least two games a week for the next few weeks, so there's plenty of game time which I'll hopefully be able to get.

"I spoke to Micky (Mellon, manager) and he is under the impression that I will fit in nicely to the way he wants to play.

"I know a few of the players from previous clubs and I played against Shrewsbury last season when I was on loan at Port Vale.

"One of my friends, Fraser Fyvie, was on loan here last season so I had a few people I could talk to about the club.

"They all said good things and gave it plenty of compliments so that really was a factor in making it an easy choice to come."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9523094?

WhiteJC

Join Our Mo Team!

Movember kicks off in less than two weeks, and we're still encouraging supporters to join our official Fulham FC Mo team.

Captained by Marcus Bettinelli, the team is made up of Fulham staff and fans, including First Team players Dan Burn, Fernando Amorebieta and Tim Hoogland.

Signing up is incredibly simple, just visit moteam.co/fulham-fc and select the 'Join This Team' option, then fill in your details to become part of the FFC Movember team.

You can also sponsor a member of the team at this page, or just donate to the Fulham FC Mo team as a whole.

At the end of the month, the Fulham players will choose the fan who they believe has grown the best Mo, with prizes to be won for the successful supporter.

For those of you growing a moustache next month, our friends at Movember have provided the below ideas to inspire your potential facial hair stylings.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/october/21/join-our-mo-team?

WhiteJC

Millers v Cottagers Preview

Rotherham United take on a Fulham side at the New York Stadium who are in a good run off form.

After a poor start to the season the Cottagers have won three of their last four league games although they come to the NYS still in the bottom three of the Championship.

The Millers are seven places and five points above Fulham and are also having a good run having taken seven points from their last three games.

Vital Quotes:
Steve Evans - Fulham graced the Premier League for a number of seasons and it's not long ago that the current England Manager was in the hot seat there. If it's true, and we don't know if it is, that they paid £11m for a player, then that shows you the resources they've got there. They are in a great run of form under Kit (Symons) and they come here with top class players who are now winning so are relaxed. It's a big game for us.

Kit Symons - Rotherham are a very organised and very hard working team and will be flying right from the start of the game.  We are under no illusions.  Rotherham on a Tuesday night is a tough place to go.  But I will be putting out a team that will be more than capable of getting a result at Rotherham

Rotherham United Team News:
Paul Taylor and Jonson Clarke-Harris must be pushing for a start after coming off the bench to have an impact in the win over Leeds on Friday night. Frazer Richardson should be fit after having a bug over the weekend while Rob Milsom is back in training so could be involved. Richard Wood is still suffering from a knee injury and Richard Brindley and Conor Newton are still unavailable.

Player to watch: Lee Frecklington
Looking back to his 'old self' on Friday and will want to carry that on tonight

Fulham Team News:
Tim Hoogland should be fit despite going off early in Saturday's win over Norwich. Fernando Amorebieta and Adam Taggart are still out. Kit Symons will probably stick to the same side that started on Saturday.

Player to watch: Ross McCormack
Scottish striker/winger who joined the Cottagers in the summer and will want to add to the three goals he's already got this season.

Match Facts & Stats
Click Here to read Vital Rotherham`s Head-to-Head v Fulham

Ref Watch:
Mark Brown from East Yorkshire Click Here to read Vital Rotherham`s Ref Watch

Read more: http://www.rotherham.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchprere.asp?a=374231#ixzz3GnMYH2c7

WhiteJC

Inside New York Stadium

Ahead of Tuesday evening's game, Rotherham United fan Dale Weldon gives us the lowdown on his side.

It's been a fairly steady start to the campaign for Rotherham – are you pleased with how the season's gone so far?

I've definitely been pleased. I'm not overly surprised, though, as while I wasn't expecting miracles, I thought we'd do alright. We had a good result down at Norwich recently when we drew 1-1, I definitely would have taken that before the match, and, of course, on Friday night we had a very good win against Leeds. So it's a good start – we can get better, but things could also get worse, so I'm happy with how things are going at the moment.

What's a realistic target for Rotherham come the end of the season?

If we finish in mid-table then I'd be more than happy. We've just come off the back off a double promotion but we were never going to light up the Championship as such because it's a big, big gap coming up from League One. So I'd be really happy if we ended up in mid-table, that would be good.

Which of your players have really impressed you this season?

Greeny [Paul Green] is one who has really stepped up to the mark. [Alex] Revell is another one – the big lad up front – he's stepped up yet again. He's come from League Two but he's kept finding his mark no matter where he's played. He scored an amazing goal in the Play-Off Final for us last season and that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time I think of it.

Which Fulham players do you expect to cause you problems?

To be honest, I haven't seen that much of Fulham this season. Obviously you've come down from the Premier League and have got a good squad, so it's the team in general I'd be worried about.

How highly is manager Steve Evans thought of amongst Millers fans?

He's a legend! You can't knock a man who's won two promotions, but he's a bit like marmite in that he divides opinion in the football world. I think when he first came people were quite sceptical about him but fans have come to see what he's about and accepted him a lot more – he's getting into folklore a bit now.

Can you recommend a good away pub for the travelling Fulham fans to visit before the game?

If they come straight out of the train station there's The Bridge which serves a wide array of real ales and it's really away fan friendly.

In your opinion, what's the best and worst thing about a trip to New York Stadium?

I don't think there are any bad things about coming to New York. The best thing, though, is a pukka pie – they're really good at the ground.

What score prediction are you going for?

I don't think we'll get a clean sheet so I'll go 2-1 to Rotherham, especially as we're coming into the game on the back of the win against Leeds. I think that will boost us quite a bit.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/october/21/inside-new-york-stadium?