https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Would promotion be a poisoned chalice ?

Started by Peppo, October 25, 2014, 10:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peppo

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 25, 2014, 01:28:45 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on October 25, 2014, 10:54:03 AM
We may be back in the bottom three if results go against us. So poisoned chalice or not. I am still aiming for not being relegated before I think about promotion.

Correct, I wish people would put this promotion idea out of their heads.
Some saying 8points off of the play offs, yes thats correct
but some of them will win today and we will be back to 11 points off them.
We have lost 8 games already and we will lose a few more I should
think before season ends.
We got off to a terrible start, lets just make sure we stay up this season, aanything
else is a bonus.
It's a tad negative to be thinking of relegation rather that promotion. It's a matter of mathematics that we will be in in play offs based on the current form. If our form dips then maybe not. A realistic position is that we will be in and around them come the end of the season.

epsomraver

Have to say and this was discussed among other fans last night, it is much more enjoyable watching Fulham in the championship for a number of reasons, main one is no boring round and round football that became a stamp of ours after Roy left, easier to get out, easier to have a pee, the list is endless.

Berserker

Agree totally Epsom.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

alfie

My view on this is what is the point of playing if we are not going for the best and of course the best is promotion, and if we don't want promotion what is the point of moaning if we do not win. If we do manage to get to that position of promotion then I say we have bloody well earned it in this league, what happens after that is in the hand of the managers/owners on how we progress further.
Personally I do not want to be playing in the championship I want to be at the highest level, but as always that is just my opinion others have different ideas.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

epsomraver

Quote from: alfie on October 25, 2014, 04:07:50 PM
My view on this is what is the point of playing if we are not going for the best and of course the best is promotion, and if we don't want promotion what is the point of moaning if we do not win. If we do manage to get to that position of promotion then I say we have bloody well earned it in this league, what happens after that is in the hand of the managers/owners on how we progress further.
Personally I do not want to be playing in the championship I want to be at the highest level, but as always that is just my opinion others have different ideas.

Another very valid reason is that we should expect to win every game we play in this league, as against the Prem when we did not expect to win very many at all.We also have an achievable goal in this league

Andy S

We don't have to talk about promotion or relegation until March or April all we need to watch are the lads developing as a squad. If we are then good enough for promotion then great we can go for it. The fact is as it stands we have a huge amount of home grown talent. We re enjoying watching our football again and we don't feel that we are wasting our hard earned cash each week.
As far as promotion is concerned any team that finishes in the top two or the play off winners will get promoted. Whether they can stay up usually depends whether they are better than the dross that take up space in the top flight. here are normally 5or 6 who could do the drop

Sniffer

If promotion came our way, then as with all opportunities in life, you grab with both hands.
"Numquam Cede"

Northern Cottager

If we had a day out at Wembley, imagine the walk down Wembley way amongst 30,000 other Fulham fans after how low we've felt for 2 years. Would be absolutely amazing.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: epsomraver on October 25, 2014, 03:16:51 PM
Have to say and this was discussed among other fans last night, it is much more enjoyable watching Fulham in the championship for a number of reasons, main one is no boring round and round football that became a stamp of ours after Roy left, easier to get out, easier to have a pee, the list is endless.

Totally agree, I enjoy this league so much more than the prem. It's also nice having the extra games, before you know it the next game is here and you can't beat that. It's easier to pee like you said and to exit the ground at full time. Easier to park for midweek games because we don't play big clubs and I fancy our chances against everyone especially at home. We get to see the likes of bettinelli,  burn, kavanagh,  lvc,  hyndman,  roberts,  Williams,  david Etc And None Of Them Would've Been Given The Same Opportunities In The Prem.  

All in all I'm loving the championship now magath is gone and we're back to being just little old Fulham enjoying the beautiful game the way it should be
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Peppo

What a load of cobblers. It might be an interesting experience for... Ooh... 10 games or but then it becomes a matter of endurance especially if you don't ever look like challenging for promotion.

hovewhite

Go up or not I'm enjoying this season for the first time in a couple of seasons,its enjoyable ,proper football like when I watched as a young man.

FPT

We have to remain grounded, despite how good our form is, however, I do think that promotion is doable. We were 17 points from 1st; four weeks later, we're out of the bottom three and 12 points from 1st, so we really do have to see promotion as a long term aim.

We can't get complacent though, morale is high, and I'm glad we have a game coming up quickly (against one of the top teams in the division) to help carry on the momentum that we've picked up. If we lose, it brings us down to lose to rebuild at Wigan; and if we win, we're buzzing even more!

Anyway, back to the point, if we get promoted, we'll spend considerably to strengthen the squad, I'm sure; so I don't see an issue with our "current squad" struggling, because it'll have that bit more quality.

In an ideal world, if we don't go up this year, we stroll to the title next year with our kids being better - of course, and yeah, we probably would be better for the added experience. But, Fulham need to be a Premier League club as soon as possible really.

Nightwind15

Poisoned chalace?  No, it would be more like a foking miracle. 
I played in the first match I ever saw!

Aaron

I don't think we'll need to worry about it this year.

What would be nice is if we were "there or thereabouts" come May time and hopefully then in a position to not only hold to but provide another development season for our kids.  It'd be real nice to go up with a team already capable of competing in the league and not have to make too many changes.  We're not in a position to do that this season.

Ichabod Magoo

This discussion is a bit like getting the frosting ready for the cake even before the bowl has been taken out of the cupboard to mix the flower and eggs.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

alfie

Quote from: epsomraver on October 25, 2014, 04:17:33 PM
Quote from: alfie on October 25, 2014, 04:07:50 PM

Another very valid reason is that we should expect to win every game we play in this league, as against the Prem when we did not expect to win very many at all.We also have an achievable goal in this league

I also feel that way in the premiership, we should be aiming for top spot not just mid table, if mid table is all our ambitions are then that is what will always be. We played in Europe and got to a final, I would love to see us get to the finals of the Champions League, ok it is a dream more than an expectation but I would love it just love it.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Quote from: fulhamben on October 25, 2014, 11:00:55 AM
yes, but another season in the championship gives the vultures another 2 windows to poach our talent. even when we went up under tig we bought in a lot of players. van der sar, legwinski, steeeed, signed boa on a perm, marlet.

If Kit is appointed I doubt we will loose many.  They are beginning to play as a unit which is freeken brilliant to watch.

The  P Chalice is our fans talking about promotion when we are not out of the woods
Just enjoy not having to watch the Roonies.Balletellies/Lampards/Drogbas  and all those big billys   

Tonywa

I do miss the actual football in the top division and the opportunity to see some of the greatest players in the world.  As far as everything else goes, it's all gain.  No huge queues to get in, or to buy a programme no queues for the loo and the general atmosphere just that bit more relaxed and enjoyable. I also feel the atmosphere had improved now that there are not so many Johnny-come-lately supporters who only jumped on the bandwagon when we started doing well under MAF.   Although the football was dire, even the days in the bottom division were enjoyable as there was such a sense of community amongst the 3,000 faithfuls who turned up every week and on away trips you pretty well knew everybody who went which made for a good atmosphere. Just my luck that after years flogging up ands down motorways seeing us lose week after week my business taking off and my having to devote more time to it curtailed my away trips at just about the time we started our rise through the divisions.

epsomraver

Quote from: Tonywa on October 26, 2014, 09:20:58 AM
I do miss the actual football in the top division and the opportunity to see some of the greatest players in the world.  As far as everything else goes, it's all gain.  No huge queues to get in, or to buy a programme no queues for the loo and the general atmosphere just that bit more relaxed and enjoyable. I also feel the atmosphere had improved now that there are not so many Johnny-come-lately supporters who only jumped on the bandwagon when we started doing well under MAF.   Although the football was dire, even the days in the bottom division were enjoyable as there was such a sense of community amongst the 3,000 faithfuls who turned up every week and on away trips you pretty well knew everybody who went which made for a good atmosphere. Just my luck that after years flogging up ands down motorways seeing us lose week after week my business taking off and my having to devote more time to it curtailed my away trips at just about the time we started our rise through the divisions.
:plus one:

epsomraver

Quote from: Peppo on October 25, 2014, 10:21:21 PM
What a load of cobblers. It might be an interesting experience for... Ooh... 10 games or but then it becomes a matter of endurance especially if you don't ever look like challenging for promotion.

And that was us in the prem so how is it cobblers? I have watched most of my football at Fulham in the lower leagues so it is not such a chore as others who came later just to see us in the top flight