more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham's yesteryear unsung heroes

Started by Barrett487, October 27, 2014, 07:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron

Quote from: Snibbo on October 27, 2014, 10:32:03 PM
Stan Brown is the ultimate example. Always overshadowed by the maestro but severely missed when unavailable , which was not often.

Another "utility " player of that era was Brian 'Pat' O'Connell. Happy to wait his turn for a game, and cover any forward or full back position.

ron

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 28, 2014, 05:39:34 AM
Quote from: Supermitch on October 27, 2014, 09:52:00 PM
Goma's a great shout, and i have heard people swooning over his skill and reading of the game quite recently.

The great man is still often seen at the Cottage.  When I was selling TOOFIF before the recent Norwich game by the Press Office he was there signing a number of autographs. 

I'm pretty sure he lives in the area  and loves the club. Like you said he goes to a lot of games at the cottage.  Class player
[/quote]

I was a couple of seats away from him in the JH a while ago.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Dodgin on October 28, 2014, 08:49:55 AM
Jimmy Langley

Not unsung.

One of our truly great players of the 1960's and maybe the most popular with supporters.

epsomraver

epsomraver

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 28, 2014, 09:06:26 AM
Jimmy Langley

Not unsung.

One of our truly great players of the 1960's and maybe the most popular with supporters.

never got the plaudits that Haynes and Cohen got though Tony as with  my hero  Bobby Keetch

TonyGilroy

Quote from: epsomraver on October 28, 2014, 09:14:53 AM
Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 28, 2014, 09:06:26 AM
Jimmy Langley

Not unsung.

never got the plaudits that Haynes and Cohen got though Tony as with  my hero  Bobby Keetch

On the very few occasions that Cohen or Langley missed a game you soon saw the difference when Bobby Drake or Barry Mealand deputised. A bit like giving the opposition a three goal start.

ron

I still remember the humiliation of letting in seven at Upton Park with messrs Drake and Ryan as full backs.

Peabody

Oh the list goes on, what about Robin Lawlor, never complained and another who always did his best.

Tonywa

Quote from: ron on October 28, 2014, 09:26:07 AM
I still remember the humiliation of letting in seven at Upton Park with messrs Drake and Ryan as full backs.

Those wonderful games at Upton Park. Lost 1-6 and 2-7 in successive seasons having scored first on both occasions.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: b+w geezer on October 27, 2014, 08:19:04 PM
Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on October 27, 2014, 08:13:00 PM
Does 06/07 count as yesteryear? In which case, I nominate BJORN RUMSTROM!!!
'Anyone of a certain age will meanwhile be posting `Stan Brown' in answer to the original question. A decade later, Slough is an excellent shout too -- except only if it's alleged that they are both so widely agreed among veteran supporters to be under-appreciated that actually they aren't!
:plus one: 049:gif

Peabody

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Peabody on October 28, 2014, 12:34:35 PM
Kevin Locke is another

Currently working as a Court usher according to TOOFIF.

MGBadrock

How about Kit Symons. Five wins from last seven games and still cant get the job on a permanent basis.............

Peabody

To me, an unsung hero is a player who turned out wherever they were asked to play , gave their all for the club but  received very few plaudits. Without them, the club would achieve little. They ask little but give a lot.

Do you think Tosh qualifys?

colinwhite

I always liked Fred Callaghan . He was never really that great a player but he could  get the team and the fans going with his swashbuckling style .  Come own Fred !

f321ffc

Quote from: Snibbo on October 27, 2014, 10:32:03 PM
Stan Brown is the ultimate example. Always overshadowed by the maestro but severely missed when unavailable , which was not often.
My thoughts exactly. 049:gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Holders

Quote from: Peabody on October 28, 2014, 04:13:39 PM
To me, an unsung hero is a player who turned out wherever they were asked to play , gave their all for the club but  received very few plaudits. Without them, the club would achieve little. They ask little but give a lot.

I would rate Tosh as a sung hero, appreciated at the time.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

win-dup

Quote from: Peabody on October 28, 2014, 04:13:39 PM
To me, an unsung hero is a player who turned out wherever they were asked to play , gave their all for the club but  received very few plaudits. Without them, the club would achieve little. They ask little but give a lot.

Loved Tosh and his continuing support for Fulham through good times and a lot of bad. Guess everyone was overshadowed during the Haynes era, and we had some wonderful players during that time.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Jimmy Dunne

A class act who's FFC career only came to an end because of Bobby Moore's arrival.

Probably most famous for dropping his shorts at Roker Park!