https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (01/07/10)

Started by WhiteJC, July 01, 2010, 07:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=203281
Fulham - Youngster Joins Cologne!
Well that one didn`t hang around long did he!

After signing from Liverpool back in January, Christopher Buchtmann has already left Fulham to return to his native Germany to join Cologne on a three year contract.

Buchtmann, a teenage midfielder tipped to have a great future, didn`t make a first team appearance for us and Cologne have reacted with great delight at signing the talented youngster with their general manager, Michael Meier, enthusing,

'We are very pleased that we were able, after long negotiations, to complete the transfer of Christopher Buchtmann, especially since there were some rivals from the Bundesliga.'

'Christopher is a promising player. He gained some experience with Fulham and he has also been successful with the German youth teams."

'Christopher Buchtmann is a versatile player who can be used in midfield defensively and offensively.'

It may not have worked out for Buchtmann at Craven Cottage but we hope he enjoys better luck back in Germany.

Auf Wiedersehen!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=203281#ixzz0sPXBdYvO

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/luke_looks_at_london_return_534295/index.shtml
Luke Looks At London Return

Aston Villa are keen to find a buyer for full-back Luke Young with Fulham and West Ham showing an interest.

With pre-season just days away, Villa boss Martin O'Neill is keen to speed up his summer market plans.

Young has already declared he's ready to leave Villa Park and O'Neill will not stand in his way.

Right-back Young wants to return to London and is a target for Fulham and West Ham United.

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/30/roy-hodgson-liverpool?
Roy Hodgson's choice is Liverpool – and England must wait
• New Anfield contract contains no release clause
• Brede Hangeland may be Hodgson's first recruit

The Football Association will have to wait until 2012 if it wishes to appoint Roy Hodgson as England manager after the 62-year-old accepted a two-year contract with no release clause from Liverpool today.

Hodgson had been touted as the leading candidate to replace Fabio Capello should Sir Dave Richards, the chairman of Club England, decide to take the expensive option of sacking the Italian following England's dire World Cup campaign. Although Capello retains the support of influential figures on the FA's main board, such as Phil Gartside, the Bolton Wanderers chairman who has publicly backed the incumbent, Richards has asked for two weeks to consider whether the 64-year-old should lead England's Euro 2012 qualifying campaign.

The Fulham manager has made no secret of his desire to lead England but, despite the uncertainty surrounding Capello's future, has agreed a deal with Liverpool that provides no escape route should the FA make an approach before Capello's contract expires after the European Championships.

Liverpool's managing director, Christian Purslow, who has led the search for Rafael Benítez's successor at Anfield, has finalised personal terms with Hodgson and agreed to meet the £2.5m compensation fee payable to Fulham under the terms of his 12-month rolling contract at Craven Cottage.

The only obstacle preventing confirmation of Hodgson's appointment at Anfield are issues relating to his departure from Fulham, believed to be bonuses their manager feels he is entitled to after last season's 12th place finish in the Premier League and run to the Europa League final. Representatives from both sides were working on a resolution tonight and, providing one is found, Liverpool should have Hodgson installed for the start of pre-season training tomorrow. He could then be unveiled as Liverpool manager tomorrow afternoon.

Hodgson faces a major task of reviving Liverpool's fortunes after the disappointments of last season and amid the £350m debt placed on the club by its co-owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett. The new manager has been promised an initial £15m this summer to revitalise a squad that finished seventh in the Premier League last season, a kitty that includes the profit made on players sold during the January transfer window and may be reduced by the compensation owed to Fulham. Brede Hangeland, whom he brought to Craven Cottage for £2.5m from FC Copenhagen, is one possible target although Fulham's asking price may prove prohibitive.

The former Switzerland, Internazionale and Blackburn Rovers manager, who has held 15 coaching positions during a 34-year career, faces the task of convincing Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard and Javier Mascherano, among others, to resist offers to leave Anfield this summer. The Fulham midfielder and former Liverpool player Danny Murphy has given a glowing reference on Hodgson to his close friends at Anfield, Gerrard and Jamie Carragher, but the futures of the captain, a transfer target for Real Madrid, Torres, wanted by Chelsea, Barcelona and Manchester City, plus Mascherano remain in doubt. Yossi Benayoun is likely to be the first player to leave Liverpool once the new manager is in place with a £5m move to Chelsea agreed.

Kenny Dalglish's position as Liverpool ambassador and at the club's youth academy has been in question since the search for Benítez's successor began but he is not now expected to quit Anfield. Dalglish was asked to compile a shortlist of candidates and put his own name forward once he felt that no available managers were better qualified for the task of unifying Liverpool at this difficult time. Hodgson, however, has been the Anfield board's preferred choice since Benítez accepted a £6m severance payment to leave the club.

One player who is destined for Liverpool is Milan Jovanovic, the Serbia international striker who agreed a free transfer from Standard Liège in January but indicated, during the World Cup, that the deal was not watertight. "I am going to Liverpool. I have signed there for three years. I repeat: no pre-agreement – a real contract," the 29-year-old said today."And the departure of Benítez changes nothing. I have maintained contact with the executive board of Liverpool and everything is good. I am working to arrange my visa for England. Next week I go there to collect my work permit. On the 14th or 15th July I will join the squad for a training camp in Switzerland."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1290990/Roy-Hodgson-targets-Gilberto-Silva-Brede-Hangeland-Rafael-van-der-Vaart-Danny-Murphy-Liverpool-spending-spree.html?
Roy Hodgson targets Gilberto Silva, Brede Hangeland, Rafael van der Vaart and Danny Murphy with Liverpool spending spree

Roy Hodgson will be handed an initial transfer budget of £15m when he completes his move to Liverpool.

The Englishman has already drawn up a list of targets and Javier Mascherano's proposed £25m move to Barcelona and Yossi Benayoun's £6m transfer to Chelsea will further boost his spending power.

Approaches for Gilberto Silva, Brede Hangeland and Rafael van der Vaart are high on Hodgson's wish-list, with an Anfield return for Danny Murphy also under consideration.

Should Mascherano finally be granted his wish to join Barcelona, former Arsenal midfield anchor man Silva would prove a ready-made replacement, after underlining his enduring worth for Brazil at the World Cup and being made available by Panathinaikos, due to the financial crisis in Greece.

One-time Arsenal target Hangeland would readily follow Hodgson to Anfield, as would Murphy, while new Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho would not stand in Van der Vaart's way, as he bids to make his mark at the Bernabeu.

Hodgson was already celebrating an early breakthrough yesterday after Milan Jovanovic finally confirmed he is bound for Anfield.

Former Anfield boss Benitez reached a pre-contract agreement with Jovanovic, but the Standard Liege frontrunner appeared to cast doubt over it during Serbia's World Cup campaign.

After scoring Serbia's winner against Germany, he hinted he was ready to consider other offers, following expressions of interest from Olympiakos and Benitez's new club Inter Milan.

Liverpool remained unmoved by the speculation and insisted they had a 'watertight' agreement for the 29-year old to become a Liverpool player after the expiry of his contract with Belgian side Standard.

Jovanovic finally ended the uncertainty by revealing he had signed a three-year contract at Anfield and underlining his eagerness to make a favourable impression on Hodgson.

'I am going to Liverpool, and I have signed there for three years,' he said. 'It is a real contract, not just a pre-agreement, and the departure of Benitez changes nothing. I have maintained contact with the Liverpool board throughout the summer, and everything is good. Everything is in order (for a work permit) because, over the past two years, I have played in 75 per cent of the national side's games.

'I am already house-hunting in the Liverpool area. I will join up with the squad at their training camp in Switzerland in the middle of July, and I will make sure I go there in good shape. From Thursday, I will start my individual training programme, so I can prove to the manager straightaway that I am worth a place in the side.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1290990/Roy-Hodgson-targets-Gilberto-Silva-Brede-Hangeland-Rafael-van-der-Vaart-Danny-Murphy-Liverpool-spending-spree.html?#ixzz0sPYdHQAj

WhiteJC

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0701/1224273705411.html
No exit for Hodgson at Liverpool

SOCCER: THE ENGLISH FA will have to wait until 2012 if it wishes to appoint Roy Hodgson as England manager after the 62-year-old accepted a two-year contract with no release clause from Liverpool yesterday.

Hodgson had been touted as the leading candidate to replace Fabio Capello should Dave Richards, the chairman of Club England, decide to take the expensive option of sacking the Italian following England's dire World Cup campaign.

The Fulham manager has made no secret of his desire to lead England but, despite the uncertainty surrounding Capello's future, has agreed a deal with Liverpool that provides no escape route should the FA make an approach before Capello's contract expires after the European Championships.

Liverpool managing director Christian Purslow, who has led the search for Rafael Benitez's successor at Anfield, has finalised personal terms with Hodgson and agreed to meet the €3 million compensation fee payable to Fulham.

The only obstacle preventing confirmation of Hodgson's appointment at Anfield are issues relating to his departure from Fulham, believed to be bonuses the manager feels he is entitled to after last season's 12th-place finish in the Premier League and run to the Europa League final.

Representatives from both sides were working on a resolution last night and, providing one is found, Liverpool should have Hodgson installed for the start of pre-season training today. He could then be unveiled as Liverpool manager this afternoon.

Hodgson faces a major task of reviving Liverpool's fortunes after the disappointments of last season and amid the €430 million debt.

The new manager has been promised an initial €18 million this summer to revitalise a squad that finished seventh in the Premier League last season, a kitty that includes the profit made on players sold during the January transfer window and may be reduced by the compensation owed to Fulham.

The former Switzerland, Internazionale and Blackburn Rovers manager, who has held 15 coaching positions during a 34-year career, faces the task of convincing Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard and Javier Mascherano, among others, to resist offers to leave Anfield.

Yossi Benayoun is likely to be the first player to leave Liverpool, with a €6 million move to Chelsea agreed.

One player destined for Liverpool is Milan Jovanovic, the Serbia international striker who agreed a free transfer from Standard Liege in January but indicated, during the World Cup, that the deal was not watertight.

"I am going to Liverpool. I have signed there for three years. I repeat: no pre-agreement – a real contract," the 29-year-old said yesterday. "And the departure of Benitez changes nothing."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/liverpool-fc/2010/07/01/liverpool-fc-legend-john-aldridge-tells-roy-hodgson-it-s-a-massive-job-55578-26762875/?
Liverpool FC legend John Aldridge tells Roy Hodgson: It's a massive job

JOHN ALDRIDGE has warned Roy Hodgson of the "massive job" ahead of him at Liverpool FC.

Liverpool FC are expected to unveil the former Fulham manager at a press conference this afternoon, bringing to an end a four-week search for Rafa Benitez's replacement.

Hodgson was top of a shortlist drawn up by managing director Christian Purslow and Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish.

Although Aldridge says the well-travelled 62-year-old will bring valuable experience to Liverpool, he believes Hodgson is arriving at the club's most crucial period since Bill Shankly took charge over 50 years ago.

"He's got a massive job on his hands at Liverpool," said Aldridge.

"This is the most important stage in Liverpool's history since Bill Shankly took over with what's happening off the field with the owners and the lack of stability at the club."

One of the first things Hodgson will have to do is work out which players he can rely on to be at the club next season.

While speculation persists regarding the futures of captain Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, Javier Mascherano is thought to be unsettled and has been linked with big money moves to Inter Milan and Barcelona.

"Something has to happen as soon as possible," said the former Liverpool striker. "You have to go in and test the situation about which players need to go out, what you've got to bring players in and who you can keep.

"That's very important as Mascherano has been using the wild card about his wife being unhappy and there's question marks about Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard. They've got to be sorted out as soon as possible."

This will be Hodgson's 17th managerial role in a career spanning 35 years.

He can count Inter Milan, Udinese, Copenhagen and the Swiss and Finnish national teams among a long list of jobs, and Aldridge is impressed with Hodgson's credentials.

"His experience is fantastic with the jobs he's done in Italy and Switzerland as coach of the national team," he said.

"He might have had a bad year or two at Blackburn Rovers, but when you've been in the game as long as he has, you are allowed a few mistakes."

While Hodgson may be forced to work with a limited transfer budget, he is certain of one new arrival after Standard Liege forward Milan Jovanovic confirmed once again he would be moving to Liverpool.

The Serbia international was targeted by former manager Benitez and it was thought he may be about to follow the Spaniard to Inter Milan.

However, Jovanovic has reiterated his desire to move to Merseyside and is expected to link up with his new teammates on the pre-season training camp following a post-World Cup break.

"I am going to Liverpool," said the 29-year-old. I have signed there for three years. I repeat, no pre-agreement – a real contract.

"The departure of Benitez changes nothing. I have maintained contact with the executive board of Liverpool and everything is good.

"I am working to arrange my visa for England. Next week I go there to collect my work permit.

"Everything is in order as in the last two years I have played 75% of the matches for my national side. Next I am looking for a house.

"On July 14 or 15 I will join the squad for a training camp in Switzerland."

Meanwhile, Marseille boss Didier Deschamps has confirmed he considered Liverpool's recent approach for him. Instead, though, he signed a new contract to keep him at the Stade Velodrome until 2012.

"I have been contacted by a great club. Of course it leads you to think," he said.

"It was not a money matter. I have always favoured the sporting aspect.

"I have extended, and I am pleased with it. The chairman wanted it. I am always asking for respect from the players, I had to fulfil my commitment."

WhiteJC

http://www.sportingpreview.com/premnews/09100248.php?
ERIKSSON DENIES FULHAM TALK

Former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has denied claims that he is set to be named as the next Fulham manager.

The Cottagers are looking for a high profile name to replace Liverpool-bound Roy Hodgson and with Eriksson declaring his desire to return to the Premier League there has been speculation linking the Swede with the West London club.

However the ex-Manchester City boss played down the rumours. "I have heard some rumours but there are absolutely no facts behind it," Radio Five Live.

"I think they have a brilliant manager and I do not know if he is staying or, as rumoured, going to Liverpool, but so far I have heard nothing."

Eriksson, who is currently in charge of the Ivory Coast national squad, is hoping to return to the Premier League as he believes it is the elite division in football.

"It's a dream for every manager going into the Premier League, it is the best league in the world," he added.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/184142/Roy-Hodgson-has-to-defuse-Anfield-s-ticking-time-bomb-/?
ROY HODGSON HAS TO DEFUSE ANFIELD'S TICKING TIME BOMB

ROY HODGSON will face a barrage of flashbulbs when he is officially unveiled as Liverpool manager, though he is unlikely to respond to life in the limelight with any cliches about landing his perfect job.

In many respects, this is the realisation of a dream that, at the age of 62, he could never really have thought possible.

There is no better illustration of the old truism that everything in football boils down to timing than Hodgson's imminent elevation, with Liverpool's troubled circumstances having delivered him the opportunity of a lifetime.

At any other period in their history, it is doubtful he would have found himself at the top of their wanted list and given the chance to continue a managerial career that has spanned 15 teams and stretched over 35 years at what is still the country's most decorated club.

He might have coached all over the globe and managed clubs from Inter Milan to Viking Stavanger, but his list of honours gleaned does not sit easily at a club supposedly as demanding as Liverpool.

Yet, following two seasons of over-achievement down at Fulham, Hodgson has been propelled into one of the most high-profile jobs in English football.

He will be a breath of fresh air and should make life easier for the Reds hierarchy after all that politicking that scarred the latter days of Rafa Benitez's reign. Hodgson has a chance to prove that his appointment is not simply a stop-gap and that he can be more than a safe pair of hands to guide the club through what will be a turbulent period until they are sold.

He will bring back credibility to a once-proud institution that was undermined by too much infighting, even if respect on the pitch will be rather harder to find.

Supporters will have reacted with dismay over yesterday's news about Manchester City's £24million swoop for Valencia's David Silva, a player regularly linked with Anfield but whose fee was always prohibitive.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/142314/Alan-Curbishley-faces-Fulham-revolt/?
ALAN CURBISHLEY FACES FULHAM REVOLT

ALAN Curbishley could be set for a players' revolt if he replaces Roy Hodgson as Fulham manager.

The ex-Charlton and West Ham boss is the bookies' favourite to replace Liverpool-bound Hodgson.

But if he was appointed, skipper Danny Murphy, Paul Konchesky, John Pantsil and Bobby Zamora could demand moves from the Europa League finalists.

Murphy was accused of dumping Charlton when he moved to Spurs, while Curbishley's feud with Konchesky is long and bitter.

Curbishley considered legal action against the left-back when the player made comments about his management style after being off-loaded to Fulham.

Pantsil and Zamora barely featured under Curbishley at West Ham and were sold to Fulham.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/142318/Simon-Davies-warns-Liverpool-players-Training-under-Roy-Hodgson-will-be-a-bore/?
SIMON DAVIES WARNS LIVERPOOL PLAYERS: TRAINING UNDER ROY HODGSON WILL BE A BORE

SIMON Davies has warned Liverpool players that training under Roy Hodgson will be a BORE!

But Fulham's midfield playmaker believes the Kop stars will soon be thanking Hodgson, 62, despite his 'Mogadon Man' methods.

Wales international Davies blossomed during Hodgson's 30 months at Craven Cottage but warned: "Every day is geared towards team shape – and it shows.

"We would have a little laugh about it now and again, but when he came to Fulham we were fighting relegation. His management style took us to a Europa League final, so you take it.

"I don't want to give any secrets away, but he gets the 11 that he wants for a match and drills everything in that he wants.

"It's defensive drills and certain attacking drills – with no diagrams. It's all on the pitch with the ball."

Davies, 30, insists Hodgson is the best manager he has ever worked for and his exit could affect his own future at the London club.

And striker Bobby Zamora, 29, also paid tribute to Hodgson, saying: "When people were having a go at me, Roy was talking about me for England.

"He made us hard to beat and when you don't lose you have always got a chance of winning."

Tom

Quote from: WhiteJC on July 01, 2010, 07:54:10 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1290990/Roy-Hodgson-targets-Gilberto-Silva-Brede-Hangeland-Rafael-van-der-Vaart-Danny-Murphy-Liverpool-spending-spree.html?
Roy Hodgson targets Gilberto Silva, Brede Hangeland, Rafael van der Vaart and Danny Murphy with Liverpool spending spree

Roy Hodgson will be handed an initial transfer budget of £15m when he completes his move to Liverpool.

The Englishman has already drawn up a list of targets and Javier Mascherano's proposed £25m move to Barcelona and Yossi Benayoun's £6m transfer to the dark side will further boost his spending power.

Approaches for Gilberto Silva, Brede Hangeland and Rafael van der Vaart are high on Hodgson's wish-list, with an Anfield return for Danny Murphy also under consideration.

Should Mascherano finally be granted his wish to join Barcelona, former Arsenal midfield anchor man Silva would prove a ready-made replacement, after underlining his enduring worth for Brazil at the World Cup and being made available by Panathinaikos, due to the financial crisis in Greece.

One-time Arsenal target Hangeland would readily follow Hodgson to Anfield, as would Murphy, while new Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho would not stand in Van der Vaart's way, as he bids to make his mark at the Bernabeu.

Hodgson was already celebrating an early breakthrough yesterday after Milan Jovanovic finally confirmed he is bound for Anfield.

Former Anfield boss Benitez reached a pre-contract agreement with Jovanovic, but the Standard Liege frontrunner appeared to cast doubt over it during Serbia's World Cup campaign.

After scoring Serbia's winner against Germany, he hinted he was ready to consider other offers, following expressions of interest from Olympiakos and Benitez's new club Inter Milan.

Liverpool remained unmoved by the speculation and insisted they had a 'watertight' agreement for the 29-year old to become a Liverpool player after the expiry of his contract with Belgian side Standard.

Jovanovic finally ended the uncertainty by revealing he had signed a three-year contract at Anfield and underlining his eagerness to make a favourable impression on Hodgson.

'I am going to Liverpool, and I have signed there for three years,' he said. 'It is a real contract, not just a pre-agreement, and the departure of Benitez changes nothing. I have maintained contact with the Liverpool board throughout the summer, and everything is good. Everything is in order (for a work permit) because, over the past two years, I have played in 75 per cent of the national side's games.

'I am already house-hunting in the Liverpool area. I will join up with the squad at their training camp in Switzerland in the middle of July, and I will make sure I go there in good shape. From Thursday, I will start my individual training programme, so I can prove to the manager straightaway that I am worth a place in the side.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1290990/Roy-Hodgson-targets-Gilberto-Silva-Brede-Hangeland-Rafael-van-der-Vaart-Danny-Murphy-Liverpool-spending-spree.html?#ixzz0sPYdHQAj
Well you know this story isn't true. Really, bringing in Murphy at the very end of his career. Please this stuff is just getting plain silly!
Fulham for life!

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-transfer-news-Cottagers-target-West-Ham-star-Carlton-Cole-as-Birmingham-bound-Bobby-Zamora-replacement-article503313.html
Fulham target West Ham star as Zamora replacement

Fulham have targeted West Ham striker Carlton Cole as a ready-made replacement for Bobby Zamora.

MirrorFootball revealed yesterday that Birmingham boss Alex McLeish has made a £6m move for Zamora as Fulham could lose their star striker AND manager Roy Hodgson this summer.

Birmingham offer £6m for Zamora  

But Fulham have already drawn up a list of transfer targets they are pursuing despite not having a manager as Hodgson prepares to take over at Liverpool.

Former West Ham boss Alan Curbishley, who has managed Cole at Charlton and Upton Park, is in the frame for Craven Cottage while Sven Goran Eriksson is also on their shortlist.

England international Cole is top of Fulham's transfer hit-list with West Ham ready to sell for around £9m.

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/liverpool/6239780/Murphy-backs-Hodgson-s-Reds-move?
Murphy backs Hodgson's Reds move

Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy has backed Roy Hodgson as the right man to transform Liverpool's fortunes.

Hodgson is imminently expected to be confirmed as Rafa Benitez's successor at Anfield.

Former Blackburn and Inter Milan chief Hodgson faces a stiff task following a disappointing season last term and one of his first jobs will be to persuade the club's top stars to stay on Merseyside.

Murphy, who is being linked with a move back to Liverpool along with Hodgson, is a big admirer of the 62-year-old's management style and feels he is the right fit for the Reds.

"Liverpool need someone who has an understanding of the history and heritage that lies behind the club and what it means in the context of English football," Murphy told the Daily Mirror.

"People spoke about Mourinho, but I personally didn't see him as an ideal fit with Liverpool, because right now, they need someone who has an empathy for the club.

"I admire Roy Hodgson. He has a philosophy of playing good football which will fit well at Liverpool, and he gives players responsibility and a platform to work from

"Maybe it is time Liverpool had an English manager who knows about the club."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=7314
Its Official
by LYDIA on JULY 1, 2010

Now its official, Hodgson has just signed a 3 year deal at Liverpool.  There will be a news conference later if you want to watch. Fulham will recieve 2.5m compensation.

Theres now a massive void at Fulham and lets hope its filled by someone who can continue to move us forward.

Good Bye Roy and all the best.

WhiteJC

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=1502239.html?
Hodgson appointed Liverpool manager

Roy Hodgson has been named Liverpool FC's new manager, signing a three-year contract six weeks after leading Fulham FC to UEFA Europa League final.

Hodgson, 62, fills the gap left by Rafael Benítez's departure to FC Internazionale Milano and will aim to improve on the club's seventh-place finish in the Premier League last season. The Liverpool job is Hodgson's 16th assignment of a managerial career spanning 35 years and he is looking forward to the challenge.

"This is the biggest job in club football and I'm honoured to be taking on the role of manager of Britain's most successful football club," he told Liverpool's website. "I look forward to meeting the players and the supporters and getting down to work at Melwood [training centre]."

The former Halmstads BK, Malmö FF, Inter and Blackburn Rovers FC manager has long been respected on the European stage, but his stock in England has risen significantly during two and a half years in charge of Fulham.

Having averted the threat of relegation in his first campaign, the ex-Switzerland and Finland coach steered the west London side to a best ever top-flight finish of seventh in 2008/09 and into Europe. That was the prelude to their UEFA Europa League exploits last term, when they beat UEFA Cup holders FC Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus and VfL Wolfsburg before losing the final 2-1 after extra time against Club Atlético de Madrid in Hamburg.

Hodgson earned personal acclaim, being voted manager of the year by his English peers, and will return to the UEFA Europa League with Liverpool this season following the five-times European champions disappointing seventh-place finish last term. Liverpool are England's most successful club along with Manchester United FC, with 18 titles, but have not won the league since 1990.

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/07/01/hodgson-i-ve-taken-fulham-fc-as-far-as-i-can-82029-26764962/?
Hodgson: "I've taken Fulham FC as far as I can"

ROY HODGSON reckoned back in March he had taken Fulham as far as he could – a vital reason for his departure to Liverpool.

In fact, the man who took the club to the edge of Europa League glory was gobsmacked his overachieving team defied the odds to get to the showcase final at Hamburg in the first place.

The 62-year-old is taking over at Anfield, knowing it would take a miracle if the current Fulham squad get anywhere close to the heady heights of the last campaign.

A club insider said: "Roy told friends he thought the team were going out of the Europa Cup when they played Juventus – and even getting that far was better than he thought.

"Without heavy financial imput at Fulham – and Roy smart enough to knows that's not practical – the club possibly faces another middling Premiership season."

For all that, Hodgson wrestled with the lure of Liverpool, knowing he faces a huge task to put trophies back in the Anfield cabinet rather than just guaranteeing Premiership survival as required of him at Fulham.

The source said: "But it's Liverpool, and Roy's as ambitious as the next manager. He thought that if he said no he probably wouldn't get a second chance. Can you blame him?"

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/07/01/fulham-in-no-hurry-to-appoint-new-manager-after-hodgson-resigns-82029-26765077/?
Fulham in no hurry to appoint new manager after Hodgson resigns

FULHAM will take up to a month to appoint a new manager because they don't need one in July.

Everything for pre-season fitness training that starts on Monday was in place months before Roy Hodgson resigned this week – and coaches Ray Lewington and Billy McKinlay will steer the ship while the Whites sift through the avalanche of applications for their new man.

In fact, the club was surprised negotiations by Liverpool took as long as they did this week having agreed a £2.5million compensation package for Hodgson over the weekend.

The Whites were holding out even as far back as last Friday that the 62-year-old might be staying – but made no moves for a new manager until they received Hodgson's express desire to quit Craven Cottage.

A club insider reckoned everything would tick over nicely under Lewington and McKinlay until they appointed a new boss.

"It's all about fitness and physical preparation right now," the source said," so it doesn't need the normal tactical input of a manager you get before a game.

"The club doesn't need to rush the decision for a new coach."

However, there was an inkling Liverpool would eventually get their man as far back as the beginning of June when Philippe Senderos was asked whether it made any difference if Hodgson stayed or went.

The Arsenal central defender had previously linked up with the former Fulham boss when Hodgson was coach of the Swiss national team, but was happy to join the Whites regardless of the name on the manager's door.

"Philippe just wanted the chance to play football – and made it plain that's why he was joining Fulham – not because he could play for Roy," said the source.

WhiteJC

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/833724-brede-hangeland-transfer-battle-begins-as-arsenal-take-on-liverpool?
Brede Hangeland transfer battle begins as Arsenal take on Liverpool
Former Fulham manager Roy Hodgson faces a battle to sign top-rated defender Brede Hangeland for his new club Liverpool, with Arsene Wenger about to lodge an audacious move to tempt him to Arsenal.

The Gunners are putting together a £10million transfer package in the hope of taking Hangeland to north London, where he will provide an experienced partner for Thomas Vermaelen at the heart of the defence.

Hodgson's unveiling at Anfield on Thursday will pave the way for the 62-year-old to begin putting his own stamp on the squad he inherits from Rafael Benitez.

And he will begin by restructuring a defensive line that gave up too many soft goals last season, especially late in games.

Hangeland has been attracting interest from several top clubs in the last 12 months, including Manchester United and Tottenham, as well as Arsenal.

He showed his unswerving loyalty to Hodgson when he signed a new three-and-a-half-year contract last November, but now the former Inter Milan boss has gone to Liverpool the centre-back's future remains shrouded in doubt.
MORE: Fulham transfer news and rumours

Arsenal hold high hopes of signing the Norwegian ahead of Hodgson as the 29-year-old is now settled in London and is reluctant to move north.

However, the lure of the English tactician could still prove too much - especially as he has already hinted he intends to build his defence around the well-regarded stopper.