watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dempsey not in Klinsmann's 23 for break

Started by NJFulham, November 10, 2014, 04:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Past his sell by im afraid...Happens to them all.

ToodlesMcToot

I doubt that it's form related. He's playing fine as far as I know.

However, his age, status within the US roster and the fact that his team is still in contention for MLS Cup ( Seattle has a playoff game tonight vs Dallas ), likely is the largest factor.

Deandre Yedlin from the Sounders is of course included, but he's a young one and not fully established in the National Team.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

btings

US Soccer's selection statement notes that Chris Wondolowski (who was called up) was training with Fulham last week.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/11/10/08/44/141110-mnt-klinsmann-names-roster

This probably doesn't mean anything other than that Wondo needed a place to train (his season's over).

Berserker

Shame I was hoping to see him Friday. Never mind I'll just make do with Jurgen
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

YankeeJim

Quote from: btings on November 10, 2014, 05:28:12 PM
US Soccer's selection statement notes that Chris Wondolowski (who was called up) was training with Fulham last week.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/11/10/08/44/141110-mnt-klinsmann-names-roster

This probably doesn't mean anything other than that Wondo needed a place to train (his season's over).

Lets hope that he just needed a place to train. He has a big heart but little talent. Imagine a smaller EJ with less pace.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

HatterDon

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on November 10, 2014, 04:15:20 PM

You guys are a laugh.

He's not in the squad because he's fighting for his third team trophy THIS SEASON.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YankeeJim

Quote from: HatterDon on November 10, 2014, 08:22:33 PM

You guys are a laugh.

He's not in the squad because he's fighting for his third team trophy THIS SEASON.

Give it up Don. Being the most prolific scorer in Fulham's top flight life isn't and will never be enough for some.

tslyon

Quote from: YankeeJim on November 10, 2014, 08:25:28 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on November 10, 2014, 08:22:33 PM

You guys are a laugh.

Give it up Don. Being the most prolific scorer in Fulham's top flight life isn't and will never be enough for some.

Too true!

MisfitKid

Quote from: YankeeJim on November 10, 2014, 08:10:13 PM

Lets hope that he just needed a place to train. He has a big heart but little talent. Imagine a smaller EJ with less pace.

Jim, I am going to assume you don't watch much of the MLS, so I'll excuse your ignorance.  I watch every one of Wondo's games and "little" is a bit harsh, I wish I had that little talent...

Goals: 2010 (18), 2011 (16), 2012 (27), 2013 (11) and 2014 (13)
Golden Boot: 2010 & 2012
League MVP: 2012

Even with his "whiff" at the WC, he stood up and took it like a man and made no excuse.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

love4ffc

Not surprised but I still plan on watching it. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Forever Fulham

Quote from: MisfitKid on November 10, 2014, 08:40:25 PM

Jim, I am going to assume you don't watch much of the MLS, so I'll excuse your ignorance.  I watch every one of Wondo's games and "little" is a bit harsh, I wish I had that little talent...

Goals: 2010 (18), 2011 (16), 2012 (27), 2013 (11) and 2014 (13)
Golden Boot: 2010 & 2012
League MVP: 2012

Even with his "whiff" at the WC, he stood up and took it like a man and made no excuse.
:plus one:  He's a natural finisher.  I'd take him in a heartbeat. 

btings

I've watched almost every minute Wondo has played in the last 3 years.  He's not an incredibly technical player, even by MLS standards.  He's got very good off-the-ball movement, and superb balance and agility -- he ends up in the right place at the right time, and is always ready to strike.  He also scores more with his head than you'd expect.

He really create much with the ball at his feet, but he can hold up a bit.  He also has an enormous work ethic and is probably a pretty good influence on younger kids.  Unlike some, I don't think he'd expect to get that many minutes, since nobody has ever really considered him a serious candidate for playing in Europe.

I would be surprised if he started for us, but I think he'd be valuable on the bench.

ToodlesMcToot

Jim. Come on now. Wondo is a poachers poacher. It's a huge talent that has made careers for many. You don't need him to be the fastest. You need him to be around the goal when the ball is put in. That's is.

Not saying he would be a good signing for us or not but, to say he lacks talent is wrong. He's a natural finisher and absolutely knows where to be in and around the penalty area.

YankeeJim

Looks as if I riled the MLS crowd. I can't get "the wiff" against Belgium off my mind. Too be honest, I have mostly only seen him at the National level and he just seems he is out of his depth against the better teams. Fulham can't afford the luxury of a player who just stands around the opponents box and waits for service. As prime example, I offer you Berbatov. Sure, Wondo runs his butt off but he wouldn't outrun center backs in the Championship much less the Prem. Besides, if Dempsey couldn't make some on here happy, what on earth would they say about Wondo?

Snibbo

Quote from: YankeeJim on November 10, 2014, 10:19:19 PM
Looks as if I riled the MLS crowd. I can't get "the wiff" against Belgium off my mind. Too be honest, I have mostly only seen him at the National level and he just seems he is out of his depth against the better teams. Fulham can't afford the luxury of a player who just stands around the opponents box and waits for service. As prime example, I offer you Berbatov. Sure, Wondo runs his butt off but he wouldn't outrun center backs in the Championship much less the Prem. Besides, if Dempsey couldn't make some on here happy, what on earth would they say about Wondo?
I think he made most people on here happy in his first spell with us but a lot of people unhappy in his second spell and also his manner of departure to Spurs.

ToodlesMcToot

So CBs in MLS are slower than CBs in the Championship?

He doesn't have to run faster, just smarter. Wondo is no Berbatov. Sure, nowhere near as talented but, works his socks off for the team. That'll trump talent all day long.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Snibbo on November 10, 2014, 10:45:52 PM
I think he made most people on here happy in his first spell with us but a lot of people unhappy in his second spell and also his manner of departure to Spurs.

That's old news for sure. His last little stretch was a waste of time and money. It did help get him ready for the WC but Fulham got nothing out of it. As to the way he went to Spurs, he should have just said that Fulham was only a stepping stone like Dembele said and he would still be loved. Truth be told, I suspect both he & Dembele wished they had stayed.

YankeeJim

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 10, 2014, 10:58:47 PM

So CBs in MLS are slower than CBs in the Championship?

He doesn't have to run faster, just smarter. Wondo is no Berbatov. Sure, nowhere near as talented but, works his socks off for the team. That'll trump talent all day long.

I think this is getting to the point where we agree to disagree. Wondo is one of those guys who plays unselfishly for the team but he needs to be on the pitch a lot to show it. I don't think he'd be an impact sub. As to speed. running smart is all well and good but if your opponent is faster, he can catch back up with you after he is beaten.