Main Menu

I am sick of the Roy bashing

Started by sunburywhite, November 18, 2014, 07:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfie

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 20, 2014, 08:55:08 AM
Quote from: TerryR on November 19, 2014, 08:23:51 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 19, 2014, 05:50:17 PM
Roy is doing a better job than the previous three England Managers, he will probably be judged on how we finish the EuropeanChampionships in a couple years time

England isn't anywhere near competing. The World Cup sadly is testimony to that. N Ireland......that's making a silk purse out of a sow's ear'
England sadly will not progress until the whole system is overhauled.
Youth don't get a look in.
The PL is a training ground for other nations.
We cant organise youth football to save our lives. That's why the US will one day destroy the other nations...they do youth sports better than anyone. More kids play organised " soccer " in the US than all of Europe combined.
Think about that for a minute.......Roy or no Roy:
The problem isn't the manager though he isn't up to the job 

I am inclined to agree with most of what you say.
However, with regard to the USA, they play some game called soccer, whereas the rest of the world plays a sport called Football. Nevertheless, the USA will eventually reach a certain level, and will find it very hard to reach the next level. That's because it's in their DNA, they cannot for some reason handle sports where you need a brain, like Football, Rugby Union & League (too tough for them) Cricket (too interlectual for them), that's why they stick to Rounders, Netball and that pathetic and ridiculous nonsense where they pad themselves like a bomb disposal unit, I think they call it American football, or whatever it's called, but I agree with the rest of your post about English youth not being given a chance etc
I think you will find Mr WM that it was the English who started calling it soccer not the American's
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Twig

Quote from: Nick Bateman on November 19, 2014, 05:01:26 PM
Hodgson had the worst World Cup than ANY England manager.  He was an abysmal FLOP at Liverpool shortly before, and whatever good he did at Fulham he has outdone with his failures.  His football was always negative and boring and he only gets the England job because he is a "company man" and picks to protect the Premier League and NOT to do the best for England.

Despite having the easiest group he has laboured to win games, needing refereeing interference to aid him, and when England finally meet a real challenge he will fail as he did before.

I would have Gareth Southgate as soon as possible, and have a genuine ambitious manager at the helm.

PS:  I would not bash Roy as he is perfectly capable of doing that himself as he has done numerous times much to the amusement of all.

No he did not have the worst world cup of any England manager; several have failed to even get us to the finals.

Mince n Tatties

Its always been called football or footie in our house..Soccer Nah.

valdeingruo

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 20, 2014, 02:04:32 PM
Quote from: alfie on November 20, 2014, 12:40:12 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 20, 2014, 08:55:08 AM
Quote from: TerryR on November 19, 2014, 08:23:51 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 19, 2014, 05:50:17 PM
Roy is doing a better job than the previous three England Managers, he will probably be judged on how we finish the EuropeanChampionships in a couple years time

England isn't anywhere near competing. The World Cup sadly is testimony to that. N Ireland......that's making a silk purse out of a sow's ear'
England sadly will not progress until the whole system is overhauled.
Youth don't get a look in.
The PL is a training ground for other nations.
We cant organise youth football to save our lives. That's why the US will one day destroy the other nations...they do youth sports better than anyone. More kids play organised " soccer " in the US than all of Europe combined.
Think about that for a minute.......Roy or no Roy:
The problem isn't the manager though he isn't up to the job 

I am inclined to agree with most of what you say.
However, with regard to the USA, they play some game called soccer, whereas the rest of the world plays a sport called Football. Nevertheless, the USA will eventually reach a certain level, and will find it very hard to reach the next level. That's because it's in their DNA, they cannot for some reason handle sports where you need a brain, like Football, Rugby Union & League (too tough for them) Cricket (too interlectual for them), that's why they stick to Rounders, Netball and that pathetic and ridiculous nonsense where they pad themselves like a bomb disposal unit, I think they call it American football, or whatever it's called, but I agree with the rest of your post about English youth not being given a chance etc
I think you will find Mr WM that it was the English who started calling it soccer not the American's

I learn something new every day, but Where will I find it ?
.https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-rio-report/mystery-solved-don-t-blame-usa-real-reason-123344142.html
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Mince n Tatties

Dont believe a word of it, my grandfather is 103 and says he never heard anyone
call it soccer.... :005:

Bracken White

Well I'm getting on that way and my first football annual in th early '60s was 'Charles Buchan's Soccer Annual.' It was an abbreviation of 'Association Football' Soccer in England from the mid C19th, when there was 'Rugger' too - to differenciate between them.
Would add that I have no issue at all with the US adopting the term.
It is English, though.
'Footie' is mid to late C20th - no problem with that, either.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

TonyGilroy

The leading English football magazine in the 50s and 60s was Soccer Star.

Rupert

Yes, I recall "soccer" from the early 70's, before the Yanks had even heard of the game. Except that they beat us back in 1950, didn't they?  :021:
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.