watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham ' s top 10 greatest goals?

Started by dannyboi-ffc, November 14, 2014, 11:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snibbo

For the oldies amongst us: John Richardson's flying header v Bristol Rovers in about 1971ish. Nobody who saw it would ever forget it. Conway's cross I think at waist height.  JR launched himself from about the penalty spot and connected perfectly with his head

Bill2

The goals are split between fantastic goals and goals and one which had significant impacts although I don't recall Rod McAree let alone a goal. This comes in the former category

I saw quite a few of the ones listed but to me the best goal was Gordon Davies volley against Rotherham at the cottage, first game of the season. Hit on the volley direct from our keepers clearance, their keeper only saw it when it bounced out of the goal.

Travers Barney

Quote from: Snibbo on November 14, 2014, 08:54:17 PM
For the oldies amongst us: John Richardson's flying header v Bristol Rovers in about 1971ish. Nobody who saw it would ever forget it. Conway's cross I think at waist height.  JR launched himself from about the penalty spot and connected perfectly with his head

Few years back but chatted to John about it...he was very proud of the goal in a nice humble way..
We are the whites

Supermitch

Viv Busby v Cardiff, first home game of the 1974-75 season in a 4-0 win.  Got the ball just inside their half, went on an amazing run and eventually dribbling along the goal line from the edge of the penalty area before slotting it home.

Fantastic goal and of course no cameras there to record it.  Several of the newspapers drew a diagram of the run, that was as high tech as it got.

Will not be forgotten by anyone in the 8110 crowd that was there.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

2 great (not sure about top ten) goals scored during our sojourn @ QPR:-

John Hartley's (against Villa?)

Leggie's against Spuds in a last minute 3-2 victory (perhaps that was great because of the satisfaction of getting one over them for a change)

& of course not forgetting Papa Bouba Diop's equaliser v Man U back @ the Cottage

Mullery's was incredible though & my poor old Dad missed it as he went to the loo!

Not sure if John (Lloyd?) mishit the pass to Mullery or meant it, doesn't matter

& if we ever needed a penalty taker Mullers was the man

Holders

Quote from: AnotherVicHalomLoveChild on November 15, 2014, 08:39:05 AM

Leggie's against Spuds in a last minute 3-2 victory (perhaps that was great because of the satisfaction of getting one over them for a change)

& of course not forgetting Papa Bouba Diop's equaliser v Man U back @ the Cottage

Mullery's was incredible though & my poor old Dad missed it as he went to the loo!

Not sure if John (Lloyd?) mishit the pass to Mullery or meant it, doesn't matter

I think Murph was the best penalty-taker since Mullers and I never saw either miss. I think that the jury's still out on whether Barry Lloyd meant to pass to Mullers but a mis-kick would be more in character.

Does anyone remember the one and only penalty Lloyd took? He sent the keeper the wrong way but it was so soft he had time to turn around and pick it up.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Holders on November 15, 2014, 08:45:25 AM

I think Murph was the best penalty-taker since Mullers and I never saw either miss. I think that the jury's still out on whether Barry Lloyd meant to pass to Mullers but a mis-kick would be more in character.

Does anyone remember the one and only penalty Lloyd took? He sent the keeper the wrong way but it was so soft he had time to turn around and pick it up.

As much as I hate berbatov I think he was better than Murphy at penalties. Murphy missed two at city but got the rebound and against sofia at home when he sent it into row z. Both were great and you never thought they were gonna miss but goalkeepers seemed to accept berbatov was going to score just from their body language. And that's the only compliment berbatov will ever get from me because I couldn't stand him after the "keep calm and pass me the ball" nonsense

Helguson was very good but only took 3 or 4 including one at the bridge to earn a draw, I don't remember saha ever missing for us. I'd say Dempsey was the worst I've seen
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Tonywa

Quote from: Supermitch on November 15, 2014, 12:10:24 AM
Viv Busby v Cardiff, first home game of the 1974-75 season in a 4-0 win.  Got the ball just inside their half, went on an amazing run and eventually dribbling along the goal line from the edge of the penalty area before slotting it home.

Fantastic goal and of course no cameras there to record it.  Several of the newspapers drew a diagram of the run, that was as high tech as it got.

Will not be forgotten by anyone in the 8110 crowd that was there.

Busby's goal was undoubtedly the best Fulham goal I've ever seen, must have beaten six or seven players during that dribble. Incredible.   Also deserving of a place in the pantheon, Muller's wonder volley against Leicester, a superb cut inside and long-range shot from John Cutbush way back when, John Richardson's header already mentioned and Jon Harley's fantastic strike against Villa at Loftus Road.

Tonywa

Best Fulham penalty taker in my experience was either the Maestro, who only started taking them after Jimmy Langley left the Cottage, or Kevin Lock who, although he did miss one, was a model of calmness as he walked up to take the kicks and as was shown on a Football Focus feature pin TV in the mid-eighties, had such a great left foot that he could place them more or less anywhere he liked with an amazing degree of accuracy.

dannyboi-ffc

In the OP I mention Diop's screamer. It's my favourite Fulham goal ever after kasami and Murphy ' s header. But it would probably be 11th and fall just short. Possibly could be ranked higher than pesch vs Liverpool but I felt that was a special goal in our history and I didn't want to just pick goals from the premier league era and I wanted a balance.  Personally I prefer it to pesch goal but it's not my favourite goals. The post is Fulham ' s greatest goals.

As for legwinski, I learnt a very harsh lesson that day.  I left in the first minute of injury time to avoid the crowds and I missed it. One of my biggest regrets as well as choosing to not bother going city away in the great escape.  But in terms of our greatest,  I don't think it merits a top ten place. The come back against juve or kamara ' s against city were both more incredible and both winning goals were better. Then you have goals like Boa Morte against Chelsea,  inamoto at old Trafford,  Gera completing the comeback against Hamburg.  Zamora against shakhtar.  Maybe it would make the top 20 premier league goals but I think there's far too many goals that were better or meant more for it to squeeze in.

Same with harley, great goal but Diop's was better because harley ' s was hit and hope, kasami's strike, mullery too. Not enough room for me and there was no importance to the goal unless beating villa at home is a great achievement lol.

I thought I regretted missing Leggie's winner. I can't imagine how it must feel to be in the loo when Mullery's goal goes in. I'd rather wet myself I reckon
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

FortCollinsFulham

Some of the above mentioned goals are in this video (pre-Kasami goal last year). I always enjoy watching it.

The Collins John goal is vaguely reminiscent of the Kasami beauty and sweet jesus the Harley goal vs Villa is magnificent every time.

Great Fulham Goals - The Collection on Vimeo
'Cause I'm already gone, if you bet on me you've won.

Up you Whites

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

& we haven't even started about Conroy from the half way line....

Shooot!

filham

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 14, 2014, 12:09:45 PM

The top ten greatest goals are the next 10. May they be soon.
Let's split the next ten, five each against Brentford and Brighton.

HillingdonFFC

Two forgotten great goals were from Robert Wilson at Shrewsbury and Clive Walker at Huddersfield. Didnt go to Shrewsbury but dads mates raved about it, dribbled around half the side before rounding the keeper. Huddersfield I did go to, one of the best Fulham goals I`ve ever seen, shame there were only about 200 of us to see it. Would love to see it again ,its probably only on some old  HTFC match vhs gathering dust somewhere.

Burt

1. Konch's equaliser v WHU at the Boleyn.
2. Harley v Villa at the Loftodrome.
3. Ivor v Chesterfield at the Cottage.

Burt

Quote from: FortCollinsFulham on November 15, 2014, 09:26:32 AM
Some of the above mentioned goals are in this video (pre-Kasami goal last year). I always enjoy watching it.

The Collins John goal is vaguely reminiscent of the Kasami beauty and sweet jesus the Harley goal vs Villa is magnificent every time.

Thanks for sharing... Great collection of goals!

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

George Best's goal v Chelsea in I think a 3-1 victory @ the Cottage

Best was on the right hand corner of the penalty box

Someone crossed or tried to clear & the ball spun up so high I thought it would have snow or ice on it when it came down

George took it on the volley & scored

Next day there was a picture in the paper showing a frozen Bonnetti, Mickey Droy & ano Chelsea player
as the ball flew past them

A great (& rare) victory however.....

The return match was on Boxing Day & the crowd was 55,003?

My dad, brother & me made the 3, swaying on the terracing opposite the Shed

Droy kicked Georgie up in the air in the 2nd or 3rd minute & it was game over for him, along with his brief (but terrific) Fulham career

We lost of course..... 

spikey norman

Some great goals already mentioned.
Would like to add Andy Johnson's goal v Wisla Krakov and all of the goals whether beautiful or not during our 2000 - 01 season.What a season!

FortCollinsFulham

Quote from: Burt on November 15, 2014, 05:15:44 PM
Quote from: FortCollinsFulham on November 15, 2014, 09:26:32 AM

Thanks for sharing... Great collection of goals!

Indeed! I love hearing the commentary of each goal
'Cause I'm already gone, if you bet on me you've won.

Up you Whites

MJG

Has no one mentioned Ray Houghton's at Newcastle? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-clhFzQ8mh0