watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (22/11/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 22, 2014, 05:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Sky Bet Championship: Brentford score in stoppage time to defeat derby rivals Fulham 2-1

Brentford grabbed a dramatic stoppage-time winner through Spanish substitute Jota as they came form behind to beat Fulham 2-1 at Griffin Park on Friday night.

The Bees had totally dominated their more illustrious neighbours, but it looked as though goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli's heroics and Hugo Rodallega's eye for goal would leave them empty-handed.

However, Harlee Dean, who was at fault for Rodallega's 57th-minute opener, made amends in style with the equaliser nine minutes from time and substitute Jota, the summer signing from Celta Vigo, raised the roof at Griffin Park with his deflected strike at the death.

Victory lifted the Bees, the surprise package in the Championship this term following last season's promotion, to within a point of leaders Derby following a fourth straight win.

But three points appeared unlikely after a frustrating first hour, during which Bettinelli kept them at bay and Rodallega snatched an undeserved lead for Fulham.

Bettinelli had pulled out of England Under-21 duty earlier this week due to a thumb injury but if he was still feeling any discomfort it did not show.

He palmed an early Tony Craig header over the crossbar and then tipped Jon Toral's effort around the post.

There was even better to come from the 22-year-old keeper on the half hour when Brentford broke from a Fulham corner, Andre Gray squared the ball and Toumani Diagouraga picked his spot from 15 yards.

The midfielder's shot looked destined for the top corner but Bettinelli made a superb reaction save to claw the ball out.

As the first half drew to a close, Alan Judge curled a free-kick over the Fulham wall but Bettinelli was equal to it once more.

By contrast, Bees goalkeeper David Button had little to occupy him until first-half stoppage time, when he made a fine stop to keep out Rodallega's header from Fulham's first effort on target.

That was a warning Brentford failed to heed and they fell behind to Rodallega's seventh goal of the season after the break.

Dean gave the ball away to Georeg Williams deep in his own half, Ross McCormack raced into the area and squared the ball to Rodallega for a simple finish past the exposed Button.

However, Dean, clearly keen to make up for his error, charged into the opposition half nine minutes from time and fed Stuart Dallas, before continuing his run into the area and crashing the return ball into the top corner.

A point was the least Brentford deserved but they snatched all three in the 91st minute when Jota cut in from the right and saw his left-foot shot take a deflection off Dan Burn to beat Bettinelli and wrap up a memorable win.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/313974/report?

WhiteJC

Fulham defender ruled out of Amex trip

Fulham defender Dan Burn will be suspended when his side visit the Amex next Saturday.

The 6ft 7in centre-back picked up a fifth yellow card of the season in tonight's 2-1 defeat at Brentford.

That result keeps Fulham just two points clear of the Seagulls after they had seemed set to open a sizeable gap.

Hugo Rodallega gave the Cottagers a 57th-minute lead but Harlee Dean levelled before substitute Jota's shot was deflected in by Burn.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11619707._/?

WhiteJC

Ross McCormack: Brentford were "better team"

Ross McCormack has admitted that Brentford were the "better team" during Fulham's 2-1 defeat at Griffin Park this evening.

The Cottagers had taken the lead in the second half, but the home side scored twice inside the final 10 minutes to secure the win.

The striker told Sky Sports News: "We nick a goal on the counter but they were the better team. We need to improve, it is as simple as that. Sloppiness by us at the end and they thoroughly deserved it."

Fulham sit 17th in the table following the loss.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/mccormack-brentford-were-better-team_189371.html

WhiteJC

Fulham boss admits derby defeat is a bitter pill to swallow

But Symons encourages his troops to go on another unbeaten run now

Fulham boss Kit Symons admits he has been left licking his wounds following tonight's derby defeat at Brentford.

The Whites took the lead through Hugo Rodallega at Griffin Park, but following Harlee Dean's equaliser, conceded a last-minute winner to Spanish sub Jota.

And while giving credit to the hosts for an impressive comeback, that doesn't make the pill any easier to swallow for Symons.

He said: "I'm disappointed. They played very well, and if they had scored when they were dominant it would have been easier to take, but after we got out noses in front, it's disappointing.

"Full credit to Brentford, they look a good side and we stayed in the game when they were on top, but it makes it even more galling to come away with nothing after we got our noses in front.

"It was poor defending and poor decisions, and it's a tough one to swallow. It's the end of an unbeaten run, and now we have to start another one. Both goals took deflections, but we should have been better in the build up to both.

"Both goals came out of nothing, it's about game management. We had stayed in the game while not playing particularly well, which does make it hard to swallow, and I'm still licking my wounds at the moment."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-admits-derby-defeat-8154679?

WhiteJC

Kit: Fans Deserved More

Fulham Manager Kit Symons admits how gutted he is that the Whites could not reward our 'brilliant' travelling supporters with a result at Brentford.

The Whites led through Hugo Rodallega's second-half goal going into the last ten minutes before the Bees' late comeback flipped the game on its head.

Symons did not hide his disappointment with Fulham's sub-par first-half performance but he could not help leaving Griffin Park feeling deflated after the home side's late rally.

"I'm disappointed to say the least. The players are very disappointed," said Symons.

"I am gutted for them. I am gutted for our fans as well. They were brilliant again tonight.

"The fact that we got our noses in front and with such a short period of time to go, makes it really disappointed to come away from the game with nothing at all, not even a point.

"I thought we were poor first half, but full credit to Brentford. I thought they played really, really well. But we stayed in the game, we weathered the storm. Marcus [Bettinelli] made a few good saves to keep us in it.

"I knew we would play better second half because I knew we couldn't play as badly again. We then got our noses in front and that makes it even more galling to come away with nothing."

Although Fulham struggled to gain a foothold in the game during the first-half, Symons believes the fact the game was still deadlocked gave the Whites a platform to build on.

It seemed that Rodallega's lethal finish would make the Bees pay the price for not taking their chances, until the comeback began.

And Symons was disappointed with the manner in which Brentford turned the game around with a pair of deflected goals from Harlee Dean and substitute Jota, who struck the winner in stoppage time.

"Both goals were sort of out of nothing but we need to do better in those situations," added Symons. "It's the game management.

"We had done well. Without playing particularly well in the first half we managed to stay in the game which is vital when you come away from home playing against a very good side which is what Brentford are. It was all sort of going to plan really.

"Both [goals] were preventable and we need to do better in those situations.

"The first goal got a deflection off Scott [Parker] when they cleared the first one, and the second was deflected off Dan [Burn]. But we should have done better before that with both of them.

"It can be a cruel game sometimes and tonight was one of those times."

Symons was full of praise for Marcus Bettinelli, who played a big part in keeping the Whites in contention with a string of outstanding saves, after the goalkeeper passed a late fitness test following a thumb injury sustained while in camp with the England Under-21s.

"He played very well. He's consistently done well for the team since he's been involved," added Symons. "It's another good performance from him. One he should be proud of."

And the Fulham Manager insists the hard-work on the training ground will not stop now.

"My focus is fully on improving us and making us better," said Symons.

"I feel like since day one it has been my team. I've been delighted with the response that the players and everyone at the club has given me and I couldn't have asked for more.

"It takes time. It is a work in progress for sure. That was the end of a really good unbeaten run for us. Let's go again for another one."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/21/manager-reaction?