watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (24/11/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 23, 2014, 05:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham star feels fantastic performance 'counts for nothing' after Brentford loss

Marcus Bettinelli was unfortunate to be on the losing side at Brentford. (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)

Marcus Bettinelli was left 'gutted' after his wonderful display in the Fulham goal came to nothing as Brentford came from a goal down to claim a 2-1 victory.

Were it not for the young stopper, the Bees could have been out of sight by half-time as Mark Warburton's side attacked with purpose.

Bettinelli was called into action to tip Jon Toral's goalbound effort behind and produced a world class save to deny Toumani Diagouraga.

He was then called upon to tip Alan Judge's free kick, which was destined for the top corner, over the bar in the final minutes of the half.

It looked as if his display had won Fulham the points after Hugo Rodallega scored after Harlee Dean lost the ball in defence.

But the Brentford defender made amends when he fired his shot into the top corner with nine minutes remaining.

And the Bees won it when Jota's stoppage time effort was deflected off Dan Burn and past him.

Bettinelli did not deserve to be on the losing side after such an impressive display of goalkeeping but he took no pleasure from his performance.

He said: "To be honest, I can't really remember which saves were which and what times. I'm just gutted those saves meant nothing really.

"It got down to the last 10 minutes and we were hanging on. I was confident we could get through and see it out but we didn't. I'm gutted we haven't come away with anything.

He added: "We're all gutted in there. Not just me personally but the whole team.

"We realised how big this was for everybody involved – not just for us in terms of climbing the table but we realised how big it was for the fans and everyone involved in the club and we're gutted to come away without the points."

George Williams, who won the ball off Dean that led to Fulham's opener, admitted that defeat was tough to take.

"It was tough to take losing to our neighbours, especially the way we lost as well, conceding two goals in the last 10 minutes really hurts," he said.

"I don't think you can ever just settle for a point in this league. It was end-to-end, but I think when we got the lead we needed to try and control the game better than we did.

"We let them back in it and once they scored one we knew it was going to be hard because they were putting pressure on us. We couldn't keep them out."

Fulham's focus now turns to next Saturday's meeting trip to Brighton and Bettinelli is confident that the Whites can bounce back from such a deflating loss.

"We're not going to let us get this down," he said. "We're all hurting really bad at the moment.

"We wanted to win this as much as everybody else. We're not going to let this get us down.

"We've got another game to focus on. That's the great thing about the Championship as you have game after game.

"We'll look how we could have done better tonight tomorrow on the video.

"We're going to have a good week training. It's up to us to lift our spirits and get ready for next Saturday."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/fulham_star_feels_fantastic_performance_counts_for_nothing_after_brentford_loss_1_3858889

WhiteJC

Brentford derby defeat tough to take for Fulham winger

Williams disappointed Cottagers couldn't hold on for a point at Griffin Park

Gutted: George Williams says defeat to Brentford was bitter pill to swallow
George Williams admits the manner of Fulham's defeat to Brentford was difficult to stomach.

Hugo Rodallega had put the Cottagers ahead at Griffin Park, only for late goals from Harlee Dean and Jota to snatch bragging rights in Friday's west London derby.

Youngster Williams said: "It was tough to take losing to our neighbours, especially the way we lost as well, conceding two goals in the last 10 minutes really hurts.

"I don't think you can ever just settle for a point in this league. It was end-to-end, but I think when we got the lead we needed to try and control the game better than we did.

"We let them back in it and once they scored one we knew it was going to be hard because they were putting pressure on us. Unfortunately, we couldn't keep them out."

Williams saluted the travelling contingent and was disappointed Fulham couldn't give them something to shout about at the final whistle.

"The fans were unbelievable," the Welshman added. "They kept pushing us and never stopped singing. That plays a big part because it's easy to drop your heads. They give you a confidence boost."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brentford-derby-defeat-tough-take-8156476?

WhiteJC

U21 Game Postponed

Following a pitch inspection, Fulham Under-21s' Premier League Cup match against Norwich City - due to take place on Sunday afternoon - has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

The new fixture date will be announced on fulhamfc.com in due course.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/23/u21-game-postponed?

WhiteJC

Symons Quashes Hammers Interest in Burn

Earlier in the week, the suggestion was doing the rounds that West Ham United might be keen to sign Dan Burn.

The Hammers are in danger of losing their Kiwi centre-back this summer as his contract is set to expire and there are doubts as to whether he`ll reach a compromise on a new deal that has been offered.

But if the Hammers are to grab our young centre back it`ll be against the wishes of Kit Symons who has issued a hands-off warning, remarking to the media,

"We`ve got an excellent group of young players and I want to take them forward with Fulham.'

"I want to keep Dan. He`s a big part of how we play and he`s been excellent since he`s come in - he`s one of our leaders.

"We`re under no pressure to sell anyone. It`s never once been mentioned and I don`t think it will be."

That is the attitude we need to adopt if we are to climb out of this league and back into the Premier League.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=377699#ixzz3JxQP99OO

WhiteJC

Fulham starlet George Williams happy to reject English advances to play for Wales
GEORGE WILLIAMS has revealed he turned down England because of the faith shown in him by Wales.

HAPPY: George Williams is loving playing for Wales [GETTY]

The Fulham teen star, 19, was approached by the FA's head of elite development Dan Ashworth following the Anglo-Welsh Under-21s clash in Swansea last May.

But English-born Williams rejected the advances because he has figured for Wales through the age-grades and wanted to remain loyal to them in return.

Impressive wideman Williams won his fifth cap for Chris Coleman's men in the goalless Euro 2016 draw with Belgium last Sunday.

Williams, born in Milton Keynes, but qualifies through his Welsh mum, said: "To play for your country is one thing, but to have countries asking you to play for them is a compliment.

"It was flattering. Definitely. I told them (England) I am happy where I am. It wasn't a tough decision. I'm loving playing for Wales.

"I've been here since I was 17. I feel more Welsh than ever at the moment. I'm delighted to be where I am and I am honoured to be playing for my country.

It is the faith they have shown in me and the way that all the Welsh people have accepted me to play in this team. It has been everyone. Coleman, Osian Roberts and all the first-team players have all shown faith in me. I'm loving playing for Wales."

Williams has been linking up in attack with the world's most expensive player and Real Madrid superstar Gareth Bale.

He added: "How many people can say they have done that in their lives? I'm happy where I am and I'm loving every minute."

After the superb defensive shut-out to keep out the Belgians, Wales, who lie second in the standings, now face a four-month wait before their next game against Group B leaders Israel next March.

Williams said: "We were buzzing after Belgium, we got what we deserved and we are on track to go through to the next stages.

"We are delighted. We said that a draw in Belgium would be a great result. We rode our luck a but, but we know we will have to do that at these sorts of places to come away with something. We fought right to the end.

"We are racking up the points now and we just need to keep going the way we are. Eight points is good and if we get another eight then we will do well."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/411875/Fulham-starlet-George-Williams-happy-to-reject-English-advances-to-play-for-Wales