watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

So, if next season is to be the season

Started by SouthWest6, November 23, 2014, 08:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthWest6

As many put it on this forum, how will Fulham go about about their business to make sure they get this right?

Lets say for arguments sake that Shad Kahn has seen his mistakes (and Magaths) and is now treating this season to "steady the ship".

If we are successful in obtaining a mid-table finish this year, and concentrate next season on automatic promotion, how will this be done?

For me, it's not as straight forward as many think. Don't get me wrong, we have the "foundations" in place, but Magath was allowed to flog off a lot of our experienced players, so has put us back a lot more than a normal relegated club.

If we're to make a push next season, then it must start in January, and that means having a successful transfer window. It worries me a bit already that we're only looking at "loan players" whereas I think we should be looking to bring in at least  a couple of "permanent" acquisitions.

I understand what people say about "inflated prices", but believe me, once a few of the "big boys" drop down next season, we'll be less appealing, as it'll be our 2nd season in the Championship.

As for the summer, yes, we still need to be astute with our signings, we need to make a statement to the rest of the division, but at the same time, we need to keep the vultures away from our prize assets. We're not a selling Club, we don't really have to sell any of our prize assets, unless they really want to leave (David, Roberts maybe).

It's important we keep the squad together that we have now and build, but build with success, not just by adding journeymen for the sake of it, and becoming another Blackburn, Bolton of the Championship where we wallow in it for the next 10 seasons.

I personally feel it's doable, but there is still a lot of work to do behind the scenes, like bringing in experienced footballing people to work with the Club, and people who will push this Club above and beyond.     

MJG

First point we are looking at loan players because it's loan window time.

MJG

Once we get to January I expect one or two full signings looking at rest of season into next.
Jan/summer will see a lot of the squad move on and another influx of players. But I expect and hope for a more balanced approach. Mid twentys should be the aim and a couple at most of thirty plus players. We have the youth so no need to aim for any younger players.

epsomraver

Quote from: SouthWest6 on November 23, 2014, 08:59:14 PM
As many put it on this forum, how will Fulham go about about their business to make sure they get this right?

Lets say for arguments sake that Shad Kahn has seen his mistakes (and Magaths) and is now treating this season to "steady the ship".

If we are successful in obtaining a mid-table finish this year, and concentrate next season on automatic promotion, how will this be done?

For me, it's not as straight forward as many think. Don't get me wrong, we have the "foundations" in place, but Magath was allowed to flog off a lot of our experienced players, so has put us back a lot more than a normal relegated club.

If we're to make a push next season, then it must start in January, and that means having a successful transfer window. It worries me a bit already that we're only looking at "loan players" whereas I think we should be looking to bring in at least  a couple of "permanent" acquisitions.

I understand what people say about "inflated prices", but believe me, once a few of the "big boys" drop down next season, we'll be less appealing, as it'll be our 2nd season in the Championship.

As for the summer, yes, we still need to be astute with our signings, we need to make a statement to the rest of the division, but at the same time, we need to keep the vultures away from our prize assets. We're not a selling Club, we don't really have to sell any of our prize assets, unless they really want to leave (David, Roberts maybe).

It's important we keep the squad together that we have now and build, but build with success, not just by adding journeymen for the sake of it, and becoming another Blackburn, Bolton of the Championship where we wallow in it for the next 10 seasons.

I personally feel it's doable, but there is still a lot of work to do behind the scenes, like bringing in experienced footballing people to work with the Club, and people who will push this Club above and beyond.     

Oh so it is Magath's fault now for getting rid of so many experienced players, not Kits for having to make do with what he was left with?Change of tune methinks

SouthWest6

Quote from: epsomraver on November 23, 2014, 09:14:32 PM

If we're to make a push next season, then it must start in January, and that means having a successful transfer window. It worries me a bit already that we're only looking at "loan players" whereas I think we should be looking to bring in at least  a couple of "permanent" acquisitions.

Oh so it is Magath's fault now for getting rid of so many experienced players, not Kits for having to make do with what he was left with?Change of tune methinks

Mr Epsomraver, please don't target me in the way you do others, just to pick a fight, corrupt a thread, or get a reaction, it won't work. I've put forward a decent debate, so either join in, or sod off.

HatterDon

Ask me again in August, and I'll tell you then.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

JHaynes Paperboy

0001.jpeg
Quote from: SouthWest6 on November 23, 2014, 09:23:46 PM

If we're to make a push next season, then it must start in January, and that means having a successful transfer window. It worries me a bit already that we're only looking at "loan players" whereas I think we should be looking to bring in at least  a couple of "permanent" acquisitions.

Mr Epsomraver, please don't target me in the way you do others, just to pick a fight, corrupt a thread, or get a reaction, it won't work. I've put forward a decent debate, so either join in, or sod off.
0001.jpeg

TonyGilroy

After Huddersfield we were the best team in the division. Post Brentford we're the worst.

We need a few better defensive players but that shouldn't mean any unwanted Premier League player or short term loans. We also have to have some patience with young players who need game time and won't always look the part.

I wouldn't be looking to do any loan business. I'd recall Tunnicliffe in January and try to tempt the more financially strapped Championship clubs to part with a couple of good battle hardened defenders paying over the top if necessary.

I'd then reassess in the summer.

epsomraver

Quote from: SouthWest6 on November 23, 2014, 09:23:46 PM

I am joining in, but sorry I am consistant with my support of Kit, unlike you

Deanothefulhamfan

If we can recall our players on loan In January, I will be instantly happier. Tunnicliffe / Kaca and Grimmer could all be used on a matchday squad.

I honestly cannot wait until Jnauary and see who Kit brings in. Yes he might need a DOF to help him, but we are going to have a good end to the season , which will be exactly what is needed to start next season strongly.

David, Roberts and Ruiz will go in January, which is a shame but that's just how it is. What is absolutely imperative is we get Williams and Demblele signed up for a few more years. How this has not been taken care of already is pretty appauling in truth.

MJG

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on November 24, 2014, 01:30:40 PM
If we can recall our players on loan In January, I will be instantly happier. Tunnicliffe / Kaca and Grimmer could all be used on a matchday squad.

I honestly cannot wait until Jnauary and see who Kit brings in. Yes he might need a DOF to help him, but we are going to have a good end to the season , which will be exactly what is needed to start next season strongly.

David, Roberts and Ruiz will go in January, which is a shame but that's just how it is. What is absolutely imperative is we get Williams and Demblele signed up for a few more years. How this has not been taken care of already is pretty appauling in truth.
Demeble has an extension option which we will take up. I know Williams is down as a 2015 expiry as well , but I'd be shocked if we have no option on that one either.

dannyboi-ffc

It was kits fault we lost Friday but in general he has worked miracles with the squad he's inherited. Magath turned a much needed transition into a disaster. We have a big squad with very little quality to go with it especially in depth.

I don't think we will go up next year basing it on this squads potential. But if we are basing it on promotion next year I'd send hyndman and dembele/Woodrow on loan to play regularly and become important players for someone. Next year they would be stronger for it and I don't think they are either ready to play for us or aren't getting any better just being squad players.

So that will improve us, I'm also a bit worried that parker is going to be a year older. LVC will be stronger, add tunnicliffe to the squad and a maturer hyndman but our current midfield would be hopeless without Parker.  So that's my main priority, signing a top midfielder at a good age that can share the burden for parker.

Bettinelli will be better which is brilliant news,  I'm starting to believe magath was right to let both keepers leave. Problem was he started off with the wrong youngster at the number one. Bettinelli is our future. Burn is our future captain in my eyes.  

The fullbacks are a big problem especially zverotic so next year we need two solid signings there because staf/amore will both be gone and I think hoogland only has a one year deal with an option.

Roberts will most likely be sold but it's very important we get Williams LVC dembele bettinelli and hyndman tied down long term so that we can start building around them. I'd rather keep all of those than just having roberts.  It's life, he will go somewhere bigger.

We lack any real width or pace, a good winger is needed.  Williams is like our Boa but we need a Simon Davies on the other side.

Ruiz is likely to leave in January and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I'd prefer to replace ruiz with a good midfielder and a winger changing the style/system altogether. You need pace to be successful especially away from home. As good as Ruiz is, he is very slow on the ball and I don't think the Swansea way is a style that works very often in this league. If we change this in January it might give us a head start for next year because kits ideas will be bedded in with some of his own players.  

It's hard to know exactly what's needed because players jump ship every 5 mins so we don't know who's going to still be here.

I'm sure kit has a plan
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

epsomraver

Why is it assumed Roberts will go? yes he is brilliant at his own level but has not set the world alight in the physical championship, he has had a long relation with Kit and I am certain that Kit will manage him properly , not just throw him to the wolves as Jol did, but also that Kit will explain to him why. Agree Danny we need a stronger midfield, but have been  saying that since Danny went, with hindsight we should have kept Sidwell, he was there waiting to be a, asked perhaps a loan deal?

epsomraver

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on November 24, 2014, 01:40:44 PM
It was kits fault we lost Friday but in general he has worked miracles with the squad he's inherited. Magath turned a much needed transition into a disaster. We have a big squad with very little quality to go with it especially in depth.

I don't think we will go up next year basing it on this squads potential. But if we are basing it on promotion next year I'd send hyndman and dembele/Woodrow on loan to play regularly and become important players for someone. Next year they would be stronger for it and I don't think they are either ready to play for us or aren't getting any better just being squad players.

So that will improve us, I'm also a bit worried that parker is going to be a year older. LVC will be stronger, add tunnicliffe to the squad and a maturer hyndman but our current midfield would be hopeless without Parker.  So that's my main priority, signing a top midfielder at a good age that can share the burden for parker.

Bettinelli will be better which is brilliant news,  I'm starting to believe magath was right to let both keepers leave. Problem was he started off with the wrong youngster at the number one. Bettinelli is our future. Burn is our future captain in my eyes.  

The fullbacks are a big problem especially zverotic so next year we need two solid signings there because staf/amore will both be gone and I think hoogland only has a one year deal with an option.

Roberts will most likely be sold but it's very important we get Williams LVC dembele bettinelli and hyndman tied down long term so that we can start building around them. I'd rather keep all of those than just having roberts.  It's life, he will go somewhere bigger.

We lack any real width or pace, a good winger is needed.  Williams is like our Boa but we need a Simon Davies on the other side.

Ruiz is likely to leave in January and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I'd prefer to replace ruiz with a good midfielder and a winger changing the style/system altogether. You need pace to be successful especially away from home. As good as Ruiz is, he is very slow on the ball and I don't think the Swansea way is a style that works very often in this league. If we change this in January it might give us a head start for next year because kits ideas will be bedded in with some of his own players.  

It's hard to know exactly what's needed because players jump ship every 5 mins so we don't know who's going to still be here.

I'm sure kit has a plan
Agree with most apart from Kit,s fault, he was not playing, it is the players who did not perform despite what a manager does or says, ask Brendon Rogers

Deanothefulhamfan

Mjg my worry is that if we let it go to the 1st of Jan. Clubs will be able to sign them.... We need to make absolutely sure that we do not lose these two players.

Woodrow should be starting as he is our most creative player ,  I think Ruiz leaving will give him his chance.

The future is bright

Deanothefulhamfan

ER I think he will leave because someone will come in with a big bid, I agree with what you are saying about him, but a big club will buy him just so that their rivals don't get him....

I also don't think it is Kits fault for Friday. We were 90 seconds away from picking up a decent point away ....

TonyGilroy

Well I thought they performed but on the night were less good than Brentford. It happens - win some lose some.

Consistently we're seeing excellent attitude and effort. The kids need us to show some patience and some experienced Championship defensive knowhow needs to be bought in.

We're not entitled to storm the Championship - it's a tough league and our players lack experience at this level. If Kit's the right guy, and I think he is, it's going to take time. No manager has a magic wand.

MJG

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on November 24, 2014, 01:53:39 PM
Mjg my worry is that if we let it go to the 1st of Jan. Clubs will be able to sign them.... We need to make absolutely sure that we do not lose these two players.

Woodrow should be starting as he is our most creative player ,  I think Ruiz leaving will give him his chance.

The future is bright
They cant sign Dembele as we can sanction the option anytime.
Williams as I say I dont know the whole deal on that one. But we are pretty good at having options that we can kick in.

I'm not as sold on Woodrow as you are (i dont think hes that great a goalscorer) but long term he will be key and has contract till 2016.

westcliff white

I still think going up this year is a possiblilty, we need to stop conceding woefully silly goals and then I think we will be OK.

I fear that we will lose Roberts and maybe more of our young guns, if we do not go up some may think the grass is greener, maybe we can get one more season from them in the champ but not two more.
Every day is a Fulham day

jags24

My hope is that next season is the season.  It is a little hard to say what we will need then because it is too far away - we don't know which players will be staying or leaving, or what their form will look like.  We also need to see how our youth players develop over the rest of the year and decide who we can count on for next year, when they should be physically developed enough to be first team starters.

Speculative threads are fun, but ultimately, they don't accomplish anything as there are too many unknowns.  It would be better to focus on January - my sense, as I posted elsewhere, is that we could use a right winger.  Maybe Tunnecliffe could do it if we brought him back, though.  I like Tunnecliffe and thought he was spirited last year.  He also provides more defensively than some guys we've had out there.