more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (10/12/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 09, 2014, 05:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Blow for Bristol Rovers as Della-Verde is ruled out with ankle injury

On-loan winger Lyle Della-Verde will not play for Bristol Rovers before the end of his loan spell after suffering an ankle ligament injury at Wrexham last week.

Della Verde, 19, rolled his ankle on a bumpy pitch at the Racecourse and was withdrawn in distress during the first half of the goalless draw.

The results of a subsequent scan have revealed that the exciting wide man will be out for at least three weeks.

Rovers boss Darrell Clarke yesterday confirmed that Della-Verde had returned to Fulham for treatment on his injured ankle.

Clarke added: "Lyle won't be available to us before the end of his loan period at the start of January.

"He looked to be a very exciting prospect in the three or four games he played for us and it is a shame we won't get to see a bit more of him.

"Unfortunately, injuries are all part and parcel of the game and we have a squad to deal with that.

"It is a case of a door opening for someone else and we just have to get on with it."

Della-Verde had been contracted to remain at the Memorial Stadium until January 4 after Clarke opted to extend his initial one-month loan spell following a number of impressive performances.

He debuted from the bench in a 1-0 FA Cup defeat at Tranmere and went on to make four starts and two further appearances as a substitute.

Rovers, meanwhile, have a week free of games before they entertain Bath City in the FA Trophy on Saturday.

A 0-0 draw at Welling on Saturday saw Clarke's side move up to second place in the Vanarama Conference.

"I am happy with the position we are in at this stage of the season," Clarke said.

"Our form has been pretty consistent, but we have had a few draws lately and I'd like for us to turn some of those into wins.

"We have talked about the expectation levels a lot this season and we all know they are high.

"But I do feel the players are coming to terms with that. I am really pleased with the way they have been going about their business.

"They are less worried about what is going on around them and have really started to focus on performing and doing well for this football club.

"I think the results in the FA Cup over the weekend tells you that there are good teams in the Conference, so to be where we are at this stage is a decent effort.

"We have strengthened at the top end of the pitch over the last few weeks and as a result we have looked a lot more dangerous going forward and have created a few more chances.

"I still believe we have plenty more improvement in us as for me we have not been anywhere near the best we can play."

Read more: http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Blow-Rovers-Della-Verde-ruled-ankle-injury/story-25449933-detail/story.html?#ixzz3LQMsiSQT
Follow us: @WesternDaily on Twitter | WesternDaily on Facebook

WhiteJC

Keen's Cup Preview

Ahead of Wednesday's FA Youth Cup Third Round tie away at Crewe Alexandra, we caught up with Under-18s Manager Kevin Keen to get his take on the competition.

These Cup games are special ones for the boys to play in aren't they Kevin?

The young players really look forward to it. They were asking me about it at the start of the season; 'when's the Youth Cup, when's the Youth Cup?' I think obviously because last year the Club was really successful and were minutes away from winning the competition and had a really good crop of players, so everyone around the Club is interested. So it's going to be a big night – it's going to be a tough night as well.

It's a tough ask to replicate last year's success, but it's a good benchmark to have set?

Apart from three or four players it's a completely different group. Last year's group were very, very special and that's been shown by the fact that so many players have got through to the First Team and have played in the First Team already at such a young age. But it's exciting and it's going to be a challenge for us.

Will you be looking to the boys who featured last year to lead by example in the competition this season?

We've got Ryheem [Sheckleford] and Josh [Smile] who played quite a few games last season so they've got a big part to play. All the second years, people like Shane [Elworthy] and Magnus [Norman], they're the ones who have got to drive it and make sure the others are pulling their weight. We hope to have a special run like they did last year.

Crewe have got a rich history of producing good players from their academy. What are you expecting from them?

I went up and watched the last round and they played some fantastic football. They absolutely killed York [4-0]. I just watched it again and it could have been double figures in my eyes. It was just a fantastic performance. They're a really good footballing team, they've got a pedigree of bringing through loads and loads of young players who know how to play the game in the correct manner, and that's what I saw on the night; a really good footballing team playing good attacking football in a way that's really pleasant to watch. I like to think Fulham play in that sort of way so it should be a good game to watch.

It's nice for the squad to experience playing in a first team stadium, too?

An evening game is different, mostly it's always Saturday mornings. We managed to get an evening game against Chelsea two or three weeks ago that was a good event. That was at quite a small stadium but obviously Gresty Road has one really big stand and it's got a really good history, so it will be an exciting night. Travelling up on the day and things like that is a little bit different to turning up on a Saturday morning and waiting for the frost to clear, as we did last Saturday at Reading.

It's a little while since the Under-18s last won a game. What have you made of recent performances?

They've been mixed. I think we were poor Saturday, but I thought we did okay at Brighton when we got a 2-2 draw. So there have been some mixed performances but, at the same time, we've been missing quite a few players, like Ryheem, Elijah [Adebayo], Mattias [Kait]. Luca [De La Torre] and Tayo [Edun] were away on international duty as well, so I've named five players there without really thinking too much about it. And as much as our crop of Under-16s is really good and I've got a fantastic belief in them being good players, it's a tough ask every Saturday to go out and play against 18-year-olds who have got two years on a lot of these lads. Physically that makes it very tough. There have been some good personal performances but the results have been really disappointing. I've got to look at myself a little bit, and we've got to look at the way we play perhaps because we've conceded too many goals. But hopefully on Wednesday night it will all come good again.

You mentioned Luca and Tayo there who were in Florida with the United States and England Under-17 sides. That's great experience for them, isn't it?

For Luca it's become commonplace because he's been playing with the American squad for probably about 18 months now, and they have got a very successful team. I think the thing for him was losing to Brazil in the Final was a little bit of a shock because the American team had been beating everyone, including England, out in Florida. So he's used to the experience and travel and playing at that elite level, whereas for Tayo it was just fantastic that England showed that they do watch the youth team games on Saturday mornings. They've seen him play and seen something in him that we see; that enthusiasm, passion, ability to get forward. They took him out there and he started every game which for Tayo, as a first year scholar, is fantastic experience.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/december/09/keens-cup-preview?

WhiteJC

Leeds player Jason Pearce has his say on Redfearn, Cellino and facing McCormack

Jason Pearce has been talking all things Leeds United in the build-up to their next match.

Leeds United captain Jason Pearce has been speaking about Neil Redfearn, Massimo Cellino and the prospect of facing former teammate Ross McCormack this weekend.

Leeds looked on the up when they defeated Championship leaders Derby County recently, but the Whites lost 4-1 away to Ipswich Town a week later to suggest there is still a lot of work to be done at Elland Road.

Some fans have suggested it was Pearce's inclusion it the team – replacing the injured Giuseppe Bellusci – that ended Leeds' run before it had really begun. But whatever your thinking regarding the skipper he is hoping for a more stable club moving forward.

In an interview with Sky Sports News the centre-back said of his manager, "All the lads are with him.

"We're just trying to pull together. It's a difficult time and if we have a bit of stability and Redders does stay in chance we can move forward as a team."

Pearce went on to speak about club owner Cellino, who was recently disqualified by the Football League and asked to resign from Leeds.

"In my eyes he's obviously saved the club really," Pearce said. "The lads weren't going to get paid and he's come in and been paying the lads and trying to stabilise the club which is obviously a benefit to the club."

It remains to be seen what will happen off the pitch, but Leeds have the chance to put things right on it when they host Fulham on Saturday.

The encounter will also see the return of McCormack to a club where he scored 58 goals in 157 matches and Pearce knows he is in for a rough ride if the two men come face to face.

"Training with him and knowing him as a guy, you know probably a little more about him than other people do," the Leeds captain said.

"But he's got a natural ability and he's a class player so he can come up with that little bit of magic on the day and win you a game and that's what he did last year for us on many occasions."

Now it is up to the likes of Mirco Antenucci and Souleymane Doukara to be the goal-scoring heroes as Redfearn's men aim to climb the table once more.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/12/09/leeds-star-has-his-say-on-redfearn-cellino-and-facing-mccormack/?

WhiteJC

Fulham striker Adam Taggart makes comeback from injury

Australian World Cup star appeared as sub in the U21s' win at West Ham

Adam Taggart stepped up his recovery from a long-term groin problem with a run out for the reserves on Monday.

The summer signing from Newcastle Jets is still waiting for his Fulham debut after picking up the injury in pre-season.

Taggart was forced to go under the knife to resolve the issue, but finally returned to full training last month.

He continued his rehab with a cameo in the Premier League International Cup win over West Ham, replacing Chris David in the 67th minute.

Goals from Thomas Eisfeld, Ange-Freddy Plumain and Tiago Casasola earned the young Cottagers a 3-2 win against the Hammers.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-striker-adam-taggart-makes-8257308?

WhiteJC

WAY COACH TO FULHAM - 1ST COACH SOLD OUT, 2ND TO BE ADDED SHORTLY

Sheffield Wednesday will be travelling to Craven Cottage for the Owls' Championship game v Fulham on Saturday 20th December 2014.

Kick off is at 3pm and a Wednesdayite Coach service will be departing from the Wednesdayite Car Park, Penistone Road (Opposite the Kop at Hillsborough) at 8am prompt.

It is the first time we have visited Craven Cottage in over 14 years. The last time being on Easter Monday 2001 where Gerlad Sibon put us 1-0 up on the stroke of half time only for Fulham to equalise in the 90th minute with Sean Davis making the scores level.

Special offer for members.

To thank our regular travelling members for their loyalty we are giving our members the chnce to save over £10 by travelling with us to both Fulham and Wigan.(on Tuesday 30th December - depating at 3:15pm)

Adult members can travel to both games for for £30 (Juniors £25).

Fulham  vs Owls

3:00pm, Saturday December 20th  2014

Craven Cottage , London

Trip Pricing

Wednesdayite Adult Member - £25

Wednesdayite Junior Member - £23

Adult Non-Member - £27

Junior Non-Member - £26

Dual Ticket - Adult Members (Fulham and Wigan) - £30

Dual Ticket - Junior Members(Fulham and Wigan) - £25

Please note you must have renewed your membership for 2014/15 before you book if booking at the member rate. To renew click here

Pickup Schedule

8:00am - Wednesdayite Car Park, Penistone Road

8:20am - A57  , Elmwood Farm Roundabout, Beighton

8:30am - Barlborough Lay By off Jct 30 M1

*When booking please confirm your pick up point.

http://www.wednesdayite.com/index.php/news/wednesdayite-news/item/1735-fulham-away-coach?

WhiteJC

Taggart: Happy To Be Back

Adam Taggart made his return to match action on Monday as Fulham Under-21s beat West Ham United 3-2 in the Premier League International Cup.

The striker had not featured for the Whites since the pre-season win at Crawley Town, having undergone groin surgery. So after coming on as a 67th-minute replacement for Chris David against the Hammers, the 21-year-old was naturally delighted to have finally donned a Fulham shirt again.

"I'm unbelievably happy to be honest," he told the official website. "It's been the longest time off the field I've had in my career so far, so it was fantastic to get on the pitch and get back to training every day.

"Now it's just about pushing forward and getting the sharpness back to really push for some more game time.

"The boys played really well. We were up 3-2 at the time so we were defending the lead but for me it was just good to get on and get some minutes into the legs in terms of game time.

"I've been training hard every day but games are obviously very different so it was good personally to get out there for a run and get used to match situations again."

Taggart has experienced a plethora of emotions over the last six months or so. Selected to represent Australia at the World Cup over the summer – where he made two appearances – his transfer to Fulham was finalised whilst he was in Brazil.

But to pick up an injury so soon after joining the Club has meant that he's yet to show fans what he's capable of – something that was not easy for him to digest.

"It was really difficult," he admitted. "I found it really hard, especially because I've never really had a long-term injury like that, so mentally it was quite difficult but now being back is fantastic. I'm starting to feel that buzz again when I get up to train every morning, so I couldn't be happier at the moment.

"I came here off a massive high following the World Cup. I went from what was probably the best six months of my life, to one of the toughest few months being injured and not being able to play.

"I was joining a new club and I was obviously very excited to come here. I really wanted to make an impact and do my job in terms of scoring goals for the Club.

"So it was extremely difficult not to be able to do that but now I'm back and, in a way, starting again as if I've come to the Club just now. Now is my time to push to get into the habit of scoring goals and doing my job on the pitch."

With the partnership of Ross McCormack and Hugo Rodallega continuing to blossom up front for the Whites, in addition to Cauley Woodrow and Moussa Dembélé putting pressure on the pair, Taggart knows he faces a battle to get into Kit Symons' starting XI.

But it's a challenge the former Newcastle Jets man is relishing, and he is planning to do all he can to make the step up.

"It's obviously going to take a little bit of time after being out for so long," he said, "and I understand that, but I'm someone who doesn't want to sit back and wait, so I'll be going out in training every day trying to do my absolute best.

"I want to improve every day, get better every day, get that sharpness back in terms of match form so that when the opportunity does come I'll be ready."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/december/09/taggart-happy-to-be-back?

WhiteJC

Wolves hope history repeats itself with FA Cup visit to Fulham

Craven Cottage tie happened once before in 1921, Paul Suart reveals how it panned out

Wolverhampton Wanderers will hope history repeats itself when they travel to Fulham in the FA Cup third round.

The two clubs have met no fewer than 81 times, but their tie at Craven Cottage on the first weekend of January will be only their second in the football world's oldest competition.

Wolves were 1-0 winners at Fulham in that solitary FA Cup encounter way back on February 19, 1921, thanks to an Arthur Potts goal.

The boys in gold and black won by the same scoreline when they took on the Cottagers on their own patch on August 20.

It was a far cry from their previous visit to Fulham in March 2012 when Wolves were thumped 5-0 at the start of a seven-game losing streak that signalled the end of their Premier League dream.

Wolves edge the historical head-to-head with 32 wins to Fulham's 21.

There have been some big wins over the years with Fulham romping to a 7-0 home success in the Second Division in February 1928.

Promotions, relegations and the outbreak of the Second World War meant Wolves had to wait 21 years to exact revenge.

They ran out 4-2 victors on their next visit to Craven Cottage in a Division One clash on August 20, 1949.

But Wolves really made amends for their aberration in 1928 by destroying Fulham 9-0 in a top-flight contest on September 16, 1959.

The battering equalled Wolves' biggest ever league win - a 10-1 triumph over Leicester City on April 15, 1938.

There have been three 5-0 wins, two for Fulham, and four four-goal victories, three for Wolves, in post-war meetings.

Wolves have enjoyed great success in the FA Cup down the years having won it four times and finishing runners-up on four occasions.

Their last success however was in 1960 and Wolves will be hoping to improve on a dreadful recent record in the competition.

Wolves have only managed to reach the fifth round once in the last ten seasons.

Back in 2008 they knocked out Cambridge United 2-1 and then won 4-1 at Watford before bowing out at Cardiff City courtesy of a 2-0 defeat.

Just by entering in the third round, as reward for being in the top two tiers of English football, Wolves have already eclipsed their brief stint in last season's instalment.

They were knocked out in the first round by fellow League One side Oldham Athletic after a 2-1 defeat at Molineux.

Wolves also fell at the first hurdle the previous season when they were victims of a third round giant-killing losing 1-0 at non-league Luton Town.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wolves-hope-history-repeats-itself-8257571?

WhiteJC

Fulham open to offers for Marcello Trotta. Will he stay in England?

Fulham are prepared to listen to offers for Italian striker Marcello Trotta in January, but will he remain in England or head home?

Marcello Trotta is due to become a free agent next summer, with his contract at Fulham running down.

With there no indication that he will be offered fresh terms at Craven Cottage, or that he would be willing to discuss a new deal, it comes as no surprise to find that the Italian striker has been made available for transfer.

Kit Symons is prepared to listen to offers for the 22-year-old in January, with limited opportunities having come his way with the Cottagers.

He is currently taking in a loan spell at Barnsley and has previously caught the eye in League One with Brentford.

It could be that he is offered an opportunity to prolong his stay in the Football League in the New Year, but his agent recently revealed that Trotta is also exploring the option of heading home.

Symons said on the subject: "Marcello is someone I know very well. He's a good character and a good person.

"We would judge each individual case on its merits as it arises. We would look to do the right thing for all parties."

It appeared at one stage as though Trotta was ready to make his mark for his parent club, having impressed during two loan spells at Brentford.

He helped to fire them into the Championship and was expected to be offered his big break at Fulham as they joined the Bees in the second-tier by tumbling out of the Premier League.

He has, however, remained firmly out of favour and can be forgiven for having started to turn his attention elsewhere.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/12/09/fulham-open-to-offers-for-marcello-trotta-will-he-stay-in-englan/?

WhiteJC

Taggart on the way Back

Fulham supporters have still to catch a glimpse of our summer signing Adam Taggart in the first team.

The striker, signed in the summer from the Australian side, Newcastle Jets, has been struggling to shrug off a long term groin problem picked up during close season, a problem that required surgery.

However, Taggart could soon be available for first team consideration after playing for the reserves against West Ham United in a fixture quaintly labelled as a Premier League International Cup fixture.

Taggart came on as a 67th minute substitute in a game won 3-2 by Fulham with the Fulham goals coming from Thomas Eisfeld, Ange-Freddy Plumain and Tiago Casasola.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=379524#ixzz3LQotQDCJ

WhiteJC

Time to Get Even

The third round draw that saw Fulham paired with another Championship side, in the form of Wolverhampton Wanderers, was hardly the tie we wanted.

Perhaps the kindest thing to say was that we`re grateful it is, if nothing else, a home tie.

But when you look through the record books, you find that although Fulham and Wolverhampton Wanderers have crossed swords 81 times this will be only the 2nd time our paths have crossed in the FA Cup.

The only previous meeting came way back on 19th February 1921 when Wolves won 1-0 with somebody called Arthur Potts netting the winner.

It`s time to get even might I suggest.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=379527#ixzz3LQp92WI7

WhiteJC

WHY FULHAM MUST LEARN TO WALK AGAIN AFTER A YEAR FROM HELL

Relegation this past May ended a 13 year stay in the Premier League for Fulham. They exceeded all expectations during that period, seemingly going from strength to strength each season. Their highlight was undoubtedly the Cottagers' exploits in the 2009/10 Europa League, reaching the final – their first in Europe. They beat teams such as Juventus and Hamburg en route to the final, where they were narrowly beaten 2-1 in extra time by Atletico Madrid.

The year 2014 has been a nightmare one for the club, though. Relegation in May was bad enough but their first year back in the Championship for more than a decade has been fairly shambolic to say the least. The clueless Felix Magath was at the helm during their relegation and led to the club to four straight defeats at the start of the new season. He was sacked before they finally won a league game at the ninth time of asking, at Birmingham.

Until last weekend's 5-0 home humiliation to the hands of Watford, the Lilywhites had been on a resurgence under Kit Symons – winning more than they had lost. Symons guided the club outside the relegation zone, with talks of a play-off push possible for the second half of the season.

But the recent trouncing has questioned that potential and left Fulham in a state of uncertainty in 18th. Whilst the fans obviously want the club back in the Premier League as soon as possible, they need to realise that there has to be time allowed for rebuilding.

Fulham lost a lot of players in the summer, with a number of them being experienced, key men over the years. The likes of Damien Duff, John Heitinga, John Arne Riise, Kieran Richardson, Brede Hangeland and Steve Sidwell all departed, ripping the heart and soul out of the side. The fact that most of these players had been around the Fulham set-up for years, to lose them all in the same transfer window was a massive blow and they haven't really recovered since.

They were also left without a first choice goalkeeper, with David Stockdale and Maarten Stekelenburg leaving. Recruitment wasn't great either, with £11 million being spent on Ross McCormack. Although McCormack has improved as of late, he certainly hasn't been performing at the level expected for a player worth so much money. Magath would have to be blamed for much of this. His failure to replace the players lost is much to blame for Fulham's troubled season. It seems as if current manager Kit Symons is trying to rectify the many mistakes and errors littered by Magath's woeful rein.

Although young keeper Marcus Bettinelli is now the number one, 38-year-old Gabor Kiraly was brought in over the summer and has looked hapless at best. He has only played a handful of matches – including the defeat at the weekend where he replaced the dismissed Bettinelli – and has looked completely out of his depth, conceding five goals on three separate occasions.

With such a young and inexperienced squad, Fulham have had to rely on the three quality players they did manage to keep hold of following relegation from the Premier League. Scott Parker, Bryan Ruiz and Hugo Rodallega have certainly carried the team so far this season and have added the extra quality needed at this level. Rodallega has started to score goals on a consistent basis, with eight to his name so far.

With the club currently 10 points off a play-off spot and lacking the consistency needed in this division, it would be overly ambitious to target promotion this season. They are only four points above the relegation zone and survival should be their main aim this term. With some quality players at their disposal, Fulham should have enough to survive, or at least finish somewhere in lower mid-table with the next couple of seasons in mind for a real push for an eventual return to the Premier League.

It is obvious to suggest the club are going through a transitional phase after losing plenty of talent in the summer. A lot of rebuilding is needed and the fans need to be patient, because it could get worse before it gets better.

http://www.footballfancast.com/championship/fulham/why-fulham-must-learn-to-walk-again-after-a-year-from-hell?

WhiteJC

FA Youth Cup: Crewe Alexandra ready for tough Fulham test

ALEX Morris says his under-18s side go in to the FA Youth Cup tie against last year's finalists Fulham fully prepared for the challenge ahead.

Crewe take on one of the most decorated sides in Youth Cup history at Gresty Road tonight (7pm) in the third round tie but Morris says no stone has been left unturned in the preparations.

In last year's final, only two late goals denied Fulham being crowned winners of the competition, eventually going down 7-6 to Chelsea after the two legs.

But fresh from wins over Preston North End and York City in the opening two rounds, Morris says his players won't be phased by the occasion.

Read more: http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/FA-Youth-Cup-Crewe-Alexandra-ready-tough-Fulham/story-25453873-detail/story.html?#ixzz3LTdXmmDK
Follow us: @SentinelStaffs on Twitter | sentinelstaffs on Facebook

WhiteJC

Cooper Boost As Morris Guns For Fulham

U18's Gaffer calls on the fans to turn out in their droves

Crewe Alexandra Under 18's manager Alex Morris is going all-out in the FA Youth Cup as his side face last season's beaten finalists Fulham at Gresty Road tonight in the third round.

His side knocked Preston out in round one on penalties after a 2-2 draw and then made light work of York City in round two, winning 4-0 to set-up the tie with the Cottagers.

Morris has received a boost ahead of game from Steve Davis with the news that first-teamer George Cooper has been made available for selection after an impressive run in the senior side has seen him bag two League One goals.

Both opening rounds were at Gresty Road, with 386 turning out to watch the Preston encounter and  499 in support of the York thumping, but Morris wants more against Fulham and has called on the Crewe public to back the boys and head to the ground to give their support.

Morris said: "We've put a lot of work in over the last few days in preparation for this Cup game. I know how we're going to play, and how they might play, so the boys are as prepared as they can be for a game of this nature.

"The Youth Cup is the highlights of these boys' scholarship careers and we've got Fulham now who have a terrific Youth Cup pedigree. It's going to be as tough a test for us as it was against Reading last year.

"George Cooper is going to play – it's a huge bonus for us. George is a first team player now a year ahead of his time, so to have him back in the group gives the boys that little bit more confidence to know he's there fighting the cause alongside them.

"The Crewe public are brilliant at supporting the youth team, we always get one of the biggest crowds each round. They put a lot of emphasis on supporting the boys, so hopefully we'll get close to four figures against Fulham."

Read more at http://www.crewealex.net/news/article/cooper-boost-as-morris-guns-for-fulham-2135584.aspx#RrEWZrEs8vtJQR3S.99