https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Left Behind at Motspur Park

Started by MJG, December 16, 2014, 11:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Left behind at Motspur Park

Fulham U21's : 0    Spurs U21's : 2

Having neither the stomach nor the money to take in a trip to Yorkshire last Saturday I decided to see how the U21 team was doing.

Their opponents on a bright sunny chilly Saturday afternoon were Spurs. As I picked up the team sheet to see who from the squad had been left behind to take part in the game my heart fell as i saw that Chris David was playing. Those who have read my articles before know I'm a massive fan of his, but it's clear for whatever reason Symons does not want him in the first team.

Also playing were Thomas Eisfeld (who is and out the first team squad so often must be wondering what's going on), Burgess who was captain and Adam Taggart on his second step to recovery following his injury.

The full line up and formation was:

With the subs being Geoff Warne (Academy Goalkeeping coach), Mesca,Richards and Smile

The formation we played seemed to have Taggart and Plumain up front but both playing wide. David was ahead of the three other midfielders and it seemed to be the plan was to get the ball to him and he would pass out wide. In one way it is similar to the first team, with the full backs playing as the wide men at times and the 3 midfielders in a line with Sambou sitting.

A report and the goals can be found at http://www.fulhamfc.com/under-21s/2014_2015/league/home/tottenham-hotspur#report  I have seen a number of U18 & U21 games over last couple of years and this was by far the worst performance I have seen live.

Spurs took a deserved lead around the half hour mark with looping cross come shot that somehow found it going over Magnus Norman's head and into the far corner. Norman had made a number of saves before that goal.

Second half the injured O'Halloran and far from fit Taggert were replaced by Mesca and Richards.This required a change, actually a number of changes to the lineup throughout the second half. We kept the same formation but players like Richards (a full back) found himself as a right midfielder and then last few minutes replaced David as one of the two forwards. Mesca who some of us have seen just as a winger ended up playing midfield next to Sambou.

Spurs took a 2-0 lead in the 69th minute when a good pass split our centre backs and the Spurs player finished well into the bottom corner. While we did play better 2nd half it was still far from the standard of the last few years.  If it had not been for Magnus Norman the score could have been 6 or 7 for Spurs. Plumain missed a couple of chances and David had his usual couple of shots, one very close at the end of the game and even Richards playing virtually as a striker had a header go wide.

All in all a very poor performance and mess tactically. Ok it's a bit of a patched up team but still full of players who are highly rated and some have first team experience so would expect a lot better than we saw on Saturday. No idea why we played with such wide strikers and saw no one from the bench......Peter Grant or Scott Miller, giving many instructions. Most of the time just seemed to sit there on the bench doing nothing. I wonder if this role is right for one of Magath's ex men?

I would also ask where are Fotheringham, Chihi and Fazlic? Doubt very much if they went to Leeds with the squad and I don't recall seeing their names recently, are they even training anymore?

Player report:

Magnus Norman: Was easily man of match for Fulham. Made a good number of saves and commanded his box well. Very similar to Bettinelli and Joronen is build and despite his age I think I would be ok if he had to make an appearance for the first team.

Noe Baba: As one of the full backs his job was to get the crosses in, and second half he did improve in that area. Defensively he did ok, but like the full backs in the first team he had limited help in front of him. Long way to go with his progress.

Jordan Evans: Worked hard at left back trying to give the width(he is usually a winger), saw him many times sprinting back into position when we lost the ball on the opposite side to him. Final delivery could be better on the few occasions he did get to put a cross in. Solid with his tackling which to be fair is not really his game.

Jonathan Buatu: Was solid, not the best passer of the ball but is a good tackler. If I'm honest I don't see him progressing at Fulham. He's 21 and I'd have Burgess and a fit Donnelly ahead of him already.

Cameron Burgess: Wins almost every header and was a class above the other defenders. Looks as if he has been in the weights room as well since his first team appearances at start of the season. I think a loan out would do him the world of good and depending on where we are next season he should be a first team contender.

Solomon Sambou: Sat in front of the back four and did his usual brick wall defending, but also as usual I feel his passing is just not good enough. Just turned 19 last week but still miles away from playing first team football for Fulham.

Dean O'Halloran: Got a knock early on in the game and like many in the first half did not do much at all. I'll put it down to his injury and maybe should have come off before HT.

Thomas Elsfeld: Worked hard but did not influence the game one bit. As the player in this lineup closest to the first team matchday squad he was ok, but I'd expect more from him really, or am I being too hard on a 21 year old finding his feet at a new club?

Chris David: Oh Chris whys it not working out? Played in a sort of free role in the centre of the field, he is still for me the best passer in the Fulham squad. He showed glimpse of it on Saturday and the best bit of play usually involved a Chris David pass or shot. I fully expect him to leave in January now, which is a real shame but he needs to start again somehere.

Ange-Freddy Plumain: Played as one of the wide strikers, missed from inside the 6 yard box when he blazed the ball over from a low cross. Has pace clearly and a few tricks, needs to bulk up a bit and once again another loan needed before looking at first team action again.

Adam Taggart: Played first half, did nothing (and to be fair received nothing) of any note. Ran around a lot, but not the busy player I saw at Crawley pre season.  But just another step back to fitness and will only improve.

SUBS:

Mesca: 2nd half sub and played to the left of Sambou, which I found odd given I have mostly seen him as a winger. He did ok and got involved in some of the hard stuff. Still only 21 but I don't see him playing in the first team this season.

Tom Richards: As a full back he was asked to play right side of the midfield three and then as the wide striker late on. Had a header that went close and had a few good runs with the ball. He was 20 last month and his problem is he has Grimmer and Passley ahead of him, maybe even Baba. Another loan spell required at L1 level preferably.

In conclusion none of these guys (ok maybe Norman) will be knocking on Kit's door to say "watch my performance in the U21's I should be in the first team squad". But  I'm worried about the coaching and team setup, and for that Peter Grant has to take the blame.

Mike

See more at: http://www.vivaelfulham.co.uk/articles/left-behind-at-motspur-park-7-549.html#sthash.AuYFCVgS.dpuf

colinwhite

Thanks for that MJG . A very interesting and thorough report . What strikes me is how different trainers look for different things in players and rate them very differently . Mesca  was going to be a big star according to Jol and Magath clearly rated both Burgess and David .

Kit has his own views and its clear that the players you mentioned that weren't even there will soon be out the door . Its going to be interesting in january . Im not sure we are going to let any of the currant first team go (including Ruiz ). Any suggestions for who you think we should bring in ?

ffc_beason

Considering we have promoted Moussa, Cauley, LVC, Grimmer, Burn, Williams, Hyndman, Roberts, Kavanagh, Betts and Joronen from the U21's, we don't really have much left to take. Not surprising our U21's are not world beaters this year. Moussa and Roberts were in the U18's last season
and if you disagree.. well come along and see

MJG

Quote from: ffc_beason on December 16, 2014, 11:27:56 AM
Considering we have promoted Moussa, Cauley, LVC, Grimmer, Burn, Williams, Hyndman, Roberts, Kavanagh, Betts and Joronen from the U21's, we don't really have much left to take. Not surprising our U21's are not world beaters this year. Moussa and Roberts were in the U18's last season
I dont disagree with that and actually took out a section where I went through all the squad, left the part in where I named the three Magath players.

I'm not one who sees the U21 and U18 teams as having to win all the time, its about team but also individual performance and progression. 5 of the 13 players had still played for the first team at some stage so its not as if they should be that far away from a matchday 18.

Riverside

Thanks for this
These are the posts / threads that make this Board worth reading
I can leaning something about the Club !

cmg

Quote from: ffc_beason on December 16, 2014, 11:27:56 AM

Yes indeed. Compared to previous years when the feed through of youngsters to senior level was gradual to put it mildly, we today find ourselves in a completely new situation. As you and MJG have said, we could field a whole differnt u21 squad which, on paper, would be (much) stronger than the one against Spurs. [Joronen, Passley, Grimmer, Donnelly, Stafylidis, LVC, Hyndman, Roberts. Dembele, Woodrow, GWilliams. with a bench of Rodak, Tunnicliffe, Kav, Richards, Casasola, RWilliams]

Wimbledon_White

re Chris David

I am still convinced it is an attitude thing.  Four Successive managers (Jol, Rene, Felix and Kit) have ignored him in their first team plans, yet we can all see he is a really useful talent!

There HAS to be more to it than just the "he is the 19th man  on match day" crap.

Lighthouse

I do feel Elsfeld has turned out to be something less then I expected. He came with all the prospect of being a player on the verge of the Arsenal team and looking to walk into Fulham. But somehow it just doesn't seem to have clicked for him.

Anyhoo, thanks for the report and observations. Much appreciated
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on December 16, 2014, 12:48:28 PM
re Chris David

I am still convinced it is an attitude thing.  Four Successive managers (Jol, Rene, Felix and Kit) have ignored him in their first team plans, yet we can all see he is a really useful talent!

There HAS to be more to it than just the "he is the 19th man  on match day" crap.

"Attitude" might mean a poor lifestyle or an unwillingness to train hard enough or an unwillingness to play to the manager's team plans.

If it's the last it may be that he's too much of a Taarabt to be properly trusted. The midfielders who DO play all put in a shift and try to keep the team's shape. David may just be too much of a loose cannon.

snarks

Felix was the one who gave David a few games in the first team, but the number that haven't indicates something they don't like about him.

My own very limited observation is that he is a little bit selfish but without the end product to justify it, more than anything he needs to kick on and ask what more they need from him and then try to deliver it.

Thanks for the report though, useful reading.

premFlem

You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away

LBNo11

...thanks for this MJG, an excellent and readable report. I was not aware that one of Magath's team was looking after these lads...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

TonyGilroy

Quote from: LBNo11 on December 16, 2014, 06:32:29 PM
...thanks for this MJG, an excellent and readable report. I was not aware that one of Magath's team was looking after these lads...

You only had to look at the results.

LBNo11

Quote from: TonyGilroy on December 16, 2014, 06:45:21 PM
Quote from: LBNo11 on December 16, 2014, 06:32:29 PM

You only had to look at the results.

...it should have been a clue Tony, I agree...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Lighthouse on December 16, 2014, 01:15:58 PM
I do feel Elsfeld has turned out to be something less then I expected. He came with all the prospect of being a player on the verge of the Arsenal team and looking to walk into Fulham. But somehow it just doesn't seem to have clicked for him.

Anyhoo, thanks for the report and observations. Much appreciated

Could be attitude with him as well, on the verge at Goon Land
and now finds himself in Championship..
Maybe thinks he better than us.

MJG

Cheers for the comments and I have to agree that as much as I like and want David in the first team squad, there must be some kind of issue going on.

cmg

Quote from: MJG on December 16, 2014, 11:35:18 AM

I'm not one who sees the U21 and U18 teams as having to win all the time, its about team but also individual performance and progression.

You're spot on with that remark.

One of the greatest footballers and most successful coaches of all time said," I let all youth teams play the same way, like the first team. I always put the emphasis on learning. Sometimes I had the suspicion the youth coaches were more concerned with winning. They cared about their own reputation. I cared only about the interest of the club. When a player with talent couldn't defend, I put him in defense so he could learn, but that could cost a point. But I didn't care, I was busy developing the player."

Cruyff, of course.

FPT

Always enjoyed your stuff, MJG.

I wasn't as against Cameron Burgess as others were when he played, I thought he done well with all things considered, good to hear he's doing well, and maybe a League One loan would be good for him and I think he'd be dominant there also.

Side note, I do like the look of Jordan Evans, I really like what he does at left back, as you say, he's not even a born one. He is 19 now though, should he be due a loan? I think in a year, two years and the right development, he could be around the first team; he's one I really like, and his pace gives him a step over Sean Kavanagh for me. Another I think could go to League Two and look a class above with no previous professional experience.