watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

First ever Fulham match I attended

Started by The Swan, December 17, 2014, 10:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supermitch

28 Sept 68 1-1 v Blackburn Rovers.  Malcolm Macdonald scored Fulham's goal.  This was of course the season after our relegation from Division 1 that ended with another relegation.  The match was covered on Match of the Day that night and is now available to watch on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuQ4SyvckVg&feature=player_embedded

epsomraver

Quote from: Snibbo on December 18, 2014, 11:54:36 AM
Quote from: colinwhite on December 18, 2014, 11:12:19 AM
Quote from: Snibbo on December 18, 2014, 11:04:26 AM
Quote from: colinwhite on December 18, 2014, 10:50:46 AM
1966 home to Liverpool (who were top of the league with 8 games to go,I think ) and we were bottom .
Typical Fulham won 2-0 and went on to stay up in our first great escape .
My dad and I are scots but after that we were hooked !  After just about every game we went to see he  would always rant on the way home " Thats me , Im no going back they couldny burst a paper bag !"
He had  season ticket for  the next 25 years !
There is something truly magical about our club .
xmascheer1

Was that the one where Ian St John KO'd Pancho Pearson?

That was the one !Steve Earle scored both goals if remember correctly .
I was standing on the Thames bank about 10 yards from Pancho. He actually grabbed St John by the head and St John turned around and floored him with an uppercut. I was quite shocked being only 12 at the time.
Not doubting your word but I would have sworn that it happened in front of the Stevenage road stand d near the Hammersmith end, just shows how things change in your memory over time, he didn't connect as said and i am sure there was a wink from him

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: MAHLUF on December 18, 2014, 05:47:49 PM
1970 I think, Pre seaon strange tournament called something like,  the
Watneys Cup. Lost at home to Derby about 3 - 5 or  3 -6.  Still hate Derby for
that but kept going as loved it. Great weather,loads of goals atmmoshere and so on. Took all my kids and all of them remember their 1 st games,guess thats what
Fulham does to us.....Correct my details above if you know the game I am
talking about.cheers
Remember that game. We led and Vic Halom scored a great goal. Didn't we lose in extra time?

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: ealex40 on December 18, 2014, 03:46:54 PM
March 5th 1949:

Won 2-1 at West Brom, played in a snowstorm, the season we trailed Southampton by 8 points at Easter and still finished as Champions.

You can find any result and date of match, league table throughout any season at :   http://www.statto.com/football/teams/fulham
That's when I became a Fulham fan. Was it really that long ago? I was living in the Channel Islands (Jersey) and had one of those ladders the comics gave away, you moved the teams up and down each week to reflect the league table.

Attended my first game many years later. Moved to east London and went to an away game at Leyton Orient. Most memorable moment was when the Orient forward lobbed our keeper and the crowd stood and roared as the ball headed for the empty goal. But the ground was so hard the ball bounced over the bar. The crowd slumped back in their seats as I jumped up and yelled. Several thousand eyes glared at me! Went to the Cottage the following week.

David Allen Crankshaw

Maine Road, 5 October 1959.

Manchester City 3 Fulham 1.

It was an evening match and I had school the next day. Pleaded with my dad to take me to the match and as he was a Manchester City fan he didn't need a lot of persuading. All I can remember was that Alf Stokes scored our goal.

LBNo11

Quote from: David Allen Crankshaw on December 18, 2014, 09:26:04 PM
Maine Road, 5 October 1959.

Manchester City 3 Fulham 1.

It was an evening match and I had school the next day. Pleaded with my dad to take me to the match and as he was a Manchester City fan he didn't need a lot of persuading. All I can remember was that Alf Stokes scored our goal.

...David, you may be mistaken, October the 3rd 1959 we played Nottingham Forest at Craven Cottage in front of 29,236. We went into the interval one goal down, but the new signing from Spurs, Alf Stokes equalised and then scored his second before Maurice Cook inflicted the coup de grace with the third goal to bring victory to Beddy Jezzards side, in spite of Johnny Haynes being out through injury...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Burt

Quote from: Supermitch on December 18, 2014, 07:44:54 PM
28 Sept 68 1-1 v Blackburn Rovers.  Malcolm Macdonald scored Fulham's goal.  This was of course the season after our relegation from Division 1 that ended with another relegation.  The match was covered on Match of the Day that night and is now available to watch on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuQ4SyvckVg&feature=player_embedded

My first match was v Blackburn too, albeit 1974. I liked the fact that I could swap ends at half time and stand behind the goal we were attacking...

jms

Quote from: The Swan on December 17, 2014, 10:02:24 PM
As we are playing Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday it reminds me of my first ever game watching Fulham.
It was the 21st of January 1961. I wanted to see the great Johnny Haynes play, but he was injured.
Fulham kicked off and this is what happened, Cook passed to O'Connell,passed to Mullery who passed the ball back to our keeper Macedo who was cleaning his studs against the post and the ball went into the back of the net. Sheffield Wednesday were one goal up and they did not even touch the ball.
Fulham went on to lose 1-6 on that day. I thought that I would not support a team like Fulham. The next week Fulham were away to Chelsea and I went along to the game. Fulham lost 2-1. I did not like the Chelsea ground so the next home against Burnley I went to watch Fulham again. Although I had not seen Fulham win a game I just liked the feel of Craven Cottage and became a life long Fulham supporter.
I just hope that we don't have any repeat of that day in 1961.

This wasn't by any means my first ever match, but I remember it so well. I was devastated that JH wasn't playing, and a guy called Tony Kay, absolutely took us apart. It was one of the best individual away performances I can ever remember.

gang

1959 home to Rotherham in the 2nd Division Promotion year, won 4-0.

cmg

Quote from: jms on December 18, 2014, 10:27:14 PM

This wasn't by any means my first ever match, but I remember it so well. I was devastated that JH wasn't playing, and a guy called Tony Kay, absolutely took us apart. It was one of the best individual away performances I can ever remember.

Cracking player, Tony Kay. Everton bought him for a record fee, he got an England cap and would have got a whole bunch more. Except for the fact that he was also a crook (in a small way of business).

While still with Shef Wed he, Peter Swan the current England CH and Bronco Layne all took a bung to fix a match v. Ipswich. They all went to jail and the subsequent bans finished their careers. Very tragic.
I always wondered how Everton felt about it. I suppose they got their money back.

Irelands_number1

2006 away to City. Think it was second last away game of the season and we were about to set the record for 1st team to go a whole season without winning away.

2-1 last minute from Steed. I was only a young whipper snapper and in the City end (tics we got) almost caused havoc when we scored oops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8UTCfX3Oxc worth a watch - is it just me or did the premiership used to be a lot more fun?

ChesterTheTabby

Brought up a Manchester United fan by my Irish father and his side of the family, mainly due to the line of Irishmen that had played for United - and more so for Roy Keane. It just never felt right, and I just couldn't stand their fans. Mum's family is from Wimbledon, and my first ever game at the Cottage was 2003, a 3-2 loss at the hands of Birmingham City. Regardless of the result, the moment I walked next to the Thames, I went through Bishops park, stepped foot in the hallowed ground, met the men and women around me...I had found my home. I still don't think i'll ever forget Robbie Savage scoring an absolute peach on Van Der Sar which sealed the win for Brum. From that day until then, my heart has never been more sure of anything in my life (Don't tell the wife!).
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

The Equalizer

Fulham vs Chelsea - Milk Cup replay. My old man had groomed me to be a Chelsea supporter through my early years, so when I uncle Brian took me to my first ever football match at Fulham, sitting with the Fulham supporters, he became right miffed when I suddenly announced that I'm Fulham. I was 9.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc