watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Club badge

Started by absent cottager, December 17, 2014, 02:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

18stepsup

I think that the old badge could not be marketed as it was own by the council could be wrong

The Equalizer

Quote from: Two Ton Ted on December 17, 2014, 10:28:15 AM
I still have the same view as I did when I first saw the badge 13 years ago, ditch it and use a historical one instead.

Agreed. It too much resembles a swastika for my taste. Bring back the Fulham Crest!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: 18stepsup on December 17, 2014, 11:21:54 AM
I think that the old badge could not be marketed as it was own by the council could be wrong

That was disprove as a lie year's back. We had a copyright on the old badge.

It was based on the crest of the old Fulham Metropolitan Borough, which doesn't exist anymore.

Never ever bloody anything ever.

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: FPT on December 17, 2014, 10:56:25 AM
I really like the current badge, it's slick as John Travolta's hair in Grease. I don't like the one that I think people will most talk about, the 1995-2001 one, why is it so bloody blue? With it's blue, white and hints of red, it genuinely looks like a QPR badge; but in black and white, I imagine it looks no where near as interesting.

We've done excellently well I feel with the colours we've been given; and you'd have to hire some world class graphic designer to show me that we can do better.

The blue represents the River Thames, which I suppose you could change to a sort of muddy brown nowadays.

The current badge was designed by our then Marketing Manager, some claimed it was but her 7 year old son.

The Equalizer

Quote from: Two Ton Ted on December 17, 2014, 11:41:51 AM
Quote from: 18stepsup on December 17, 2014, 11:21:54 AM

That was disprove as a lie year's back. We had a copyright on the old badge.

It was based on the crest of the old Fulham Metropolitan Borough, which doesn't exist anymore.

True that. The Metropolitan Borough become the London Borough of Hammersmith in 1965 under the Mayorship of my very own grandfather.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

St Eve

This has been discussed on several occasions. We had some great past badges. All of which are better than the current one.

MJG

Quote from: St Eve on December 17, 2014, 12:14:18 PM
This has been discussed on several occasions. We had some great past badges. All of which are better than the current one.
Disagree on that, I think the circular badge in the early 80's was truly terrible.

ron

For me, the 1995 incarnation of the badge beats all others hands down. Embroidered and multi-coloured, it was a sign of quality in the strip.

Burt

I think my attitude to this over time has changed...

At the time it was a real "wtf" moment (if I can use such a term). "Why change? I like the crest. And who the hell came up with the design for the new one?"

Now however I have got used to it and (like it or not) we are instantly recognizable through it and a significant proportion of our fan base has probably grown up with it.

alfie

I still have the same view as I did when I first saw the badge 13 years ago, ditch it and use a historical one instead.
We have had a few so which historical one would you like to use?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: alfie on December 17, 2014, 12:38:54 PM
We have had a few so which historical one would you like to use?

Personally any variation on the Fulham Borough crest.

Skatzoffc

Quote from: SouthWest6 on December 17, 2014, 09:36:35 AM
For me it's a no, not because I'm going against the grain, but because this crest/badge is a big part of our footballing history now, which was mainly a successful one. To me, this crest/badge shows 13 years of Premiership football, some very good Fayed years, a great escape, Europa Cup final, and mainly what Fayed did for Fulham FC. We wouldn't be where we are today without him, so I think it should be left. If it was a badge that we had for say just 4-5 years without any significance, then yes, I'd agree to change it.   

You make a good point there SW6!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

absent cottager

Quote from: Skatzoffc on December 17, 2014, 01:01:28 PM
For me it's a no, not because I'm going against the grain, but because this crest/badge is a big part of our footballing history now, which was mainly a successful one. To me, this crest/badge shows 13 years of Premiership football, some very good Fayed years, a great escape, Europa Cup final, and mainly what Fayed did for Fulham FC. We wouldn't be where we are today without him, so I think it should be left. If it was a badge that we had for say just 4-5 years without any significance, then yes, I'd agree to change it.   

You make a good point there SW6!

Yes definately a good point, I suppose I have always preferred the old badge, but as you said the players and teams associated with the current one are a special time and will always have that assosiation, so to change it now would probably bring about at least the same amount of animosity among fans as the last time... Hmmm I think you've changed my mind!

Adi-ffc

Our current badge is vulgar beyond belief, and does indeed resemble half a swastika. Great as chairman Mo was for us, I don't think he had/has particularly good taste, as the Jacko statue indicates.

I am all for a new chairman/new badge combo and would vote for the 1995/2001 vintage, which after all was also a part of our very successful time.

dannyboi-ffc

Someone buy that gentleman a drink!!!! I couldn't have put it any better myself and I can't really see how anyone can argue against that point.

Well played and I agree 100 percent
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Southcoastffc

For Equalizer and Adi, did you know that despite the swastika's 1930s association with fascism, it actually back thousands of years and has been used as a symbol of good fortune in almost every culture in the world?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Black, White and Fred

There is a badge that someone uses for thier avatar pic on FoF (J.Perkins I think), it's got the JH side roof sign at the top grey and black stripes with crossed swords and a banner at the bottom that reads fulham FC. I don't think it is a previous badge but I love it.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

Rupert

Quote from: Southcoastffc on December 17, 2014, 03:04:17 PM
For Equalizer and Adi, did you know that despite the swastika's 1930s association with fascism, it actually back thousands of years and has been used as a symbol of good fortune in almost every culture in the world?

They make a nice joke about that in the film "Iron Sky". A Nazi flying saucer takes off from the moon (bear with me here if you haven't seen the film) and the diplomats at the UN turn on the Indian ambassador and accuse his country of being responsible as he is wearing a ring with a swastika on it. He explains it is an ancient symbol of good fortune, and the UFO is nothing to do with him.

As with anything, it is in the eye of the beholder. If you are determined to see a resemblance with the swastika in our badge, you will. I look at it and see our current badge, no more, no less. As has been pointed out, it is now associated with our most successful era ever, so I doubt if a return to the older badges are on the cards anyway, and a new design of something radically different will only go and divide opinions yet again, with some demanding the current design back.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Peabody

I worked for NatWest at the time of the merger between Westminster Bank and National Provincial Bank, they created the now we'll known NatWest symbol, described by a lot at the time, of three maggots chasing each other. However, just like Fulham Badge, everyone knows what it is, which in my opinion, is a good thing.