more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Club badge

Started by absent cottager, December 17, 2014, 02:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Quote from: LBNo11 on December 18, 2014, 09:07:25 PM
...the reason we have "the boat" is that it is a stylized representation of the "black ship", a Viking ship that sailed the furthest up the Thames and stopped at Putney in 879, (1000 years before Fulham FC was formed). Many of the old badges represented this and other details of the area, the Bishop's hat, the crossed swords, the rose in the ships' sail, the wavy lines to represent the Thames etc.,

The 'new' badge represents a marketing ploy based on the lies put out by the club at the time that we couldn't use the borough badge, it also represents what can be achieved by doodling with crayons. Future generations will not understand the rich heritage of the area, but never mind ay...

Now that fact about the Viking Ship explains why, during The Festival of Britain celebrations in 1951, a Replica Viking Ship sailed (rowed) up the Thames, much to the excitement of all. We amassed by Hammersmith Bridge to watch it go by.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: LBNo11 on December 18, 2014, 10:30:42 PM
...dannyboi-ffc, I fully understand about things evolving and changes that happen through the course of time. I respect that the majority of fans who started following us due to us being in the premier league have grown up with a badge that to them is synonymous with the club.

My dislike of the badge is, as mentioned, is partly because it was manufactured and excused with a falsehood, the fans had no say, and it has no bearing on our heritage.

Now all these things may sound like the ramblings of an old fool living in the past, but the history of the club is important to me and should be recognised and understood by any fan of Fulham as a basic fundamental.

Case in point, the Johnny Haynes statue, I was heavily involved in that, and and immensely proud that his name will be remembered for a few more generations - and then Mr Fayed erected a carbunkle of a statue in memory of his pop star friend in the grounds of Craven Cottage. Now put in a search engine "Fulham FC statue" select images, and see the ratio of those showing the deceased pop star is greater than those of the Maestro. I hope you get the analogy and understand my concerns...

Of course I understand your concerns, the MJ statue was bang out of order and I hated it more for how it undermined JH rather than just the embarrassment of it.

I admire fans like you who have become a big part of the history of the club and I agree all fans should know our history. can I just point out I've been going since 94 at the age of 6. I remember very clearly from Micky Adams team onwards, not every match but the team and the celebrations of promotion. The family fun day at the cottage to celebrate,  I took a penalty against Walton and the ball was heavier than me lol. I have grown up with the new badge because I don't think any boy fully understands their club or football until they reach their teens. But I'm not a premier league supporter like some might think. My grandad had the same mentality as you.

All I was saying was if the badge was to be changed I think it should be personal to the club and not putney or vikings or Fulham Palace etc.... something that is Fulham and for me that's something to do with the cottage.

Not every aspect of the club can remain historic, as long as we keep the important things and remember/honour those who deserve it, then I think the club will remain strong for a few more generations to come.

I can see your dislike of the badge but I personally think the swastika remark is ridiculous.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Holders

Quote from: Peabody on December 18, 2014, 10:42:40 PM
Quote from: LBNo11 on December 18, 2014, 09:07:25 PM
...the reason we have "the boat" is that it is a stylized representation of the "black ship", a Viking ship that sailed the furthest up the Thames and stopped at Putney in 879, (1000 years before Fulham FC was formed). Many of the old badges represented this and other details of the area, the Bishop's hat, the crossed swords, the rose in the ships' sail, the wavy lines to represent the Thames etc.,

The 'new' badge represents a marketing ploy based on the lies put out by the club at the time that we couldn't use the borough badge, it also represents what can be achieved by doodling with crayons. Future generations will not understand the rich heritage of the area, but never mind ay...

Now that fact about the Viking Ship explains why, during The Festival of Britain celebrations in 1951, a Replica Viking Ship sailed (rowed) up the Thames, much to the excitement of all. We amassed by Hammersmith Bridge to watch it go by.

Surely many viking ships sailed up the Thames far beyond Fulham, it was navigable for many miles more and they occupied Reading, Wallingford and other places upstream. There may have been one that called at Putney in 879 but doubtless just one of many over the years of the incursions.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

EJL

Rupert

I may be wrong (it has been known, once or twice), but I believe that the significance of the Viking ship was that it belonged to a venturer by the name of Fulla. Having sailed up the Thames to Putney, this Fulla decided to settle there and this settlement became known as Fulla's Ham (hamlet), and in time Fulham.
I'm sure that if this is some sort of urban myth I will have the local historians on here denouncing me within the next few minutes, so feel free to let rip.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

MJG

Surely we could incorporate this bit of Fulham history into a badge:

Fulham during the 18th century had a reputation of debauchery, becoming a sort of "Las Vegas retreat" for the wealthy of London, where there was much gambling and prostitution.

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: LBNo11 on December 18, 2014, 09:07:25 PMThe 'new' badge represents a marketing ploy based on the lies put out by the club at the time that we couldn't use the borough badge, it also represents what can be achieved by doodling with crayons. Future generations will not understand the rich heritage of the area, but never mind ay...

^^^This ^^^

Is a nutshell, why I will never accept nor buy anything for myself with the new badge on.

And with less Fulham fans living in the locality, with us all being spread out to London's hinterland, our history is more relevent that the whim of a long departed marketing manager.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Holders

Quote from: Rupert on December 19, 2014, 10:34:20 AM
I may be wrong (it has been known, once or twice), but I believe that the significance of the Viking ship was that it belonged to a venturer by the name of Fulla. Having sailed up the Thames to Putney, this Fulla decided to settle there and this settlement became known as Fulla's Ham (hamlet), and in time Fulham.
I'm sure that if this is some sort of urban myth I will have the local historians on here denouncing me within the next few minutes, so feel free to let rip.

Without referring to any sources, from what I know of place-names, Fulla's Ham is more likely to be Saxon in origin, like all the other -ham place names, whereas places of Danish settlement tend to end in -by. That's why they're mostly in the old Danelaw (except for Holby, of course) as a quick glance at any map will reveal.

The Saxons arrived by ship anyway, of course, there was no channel tunnel then and the land-bridge had already been submerged.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Mokes

Quote from: EJL on December 19, 2014, 12:21:56 AM
How about this, guys?

When you see the crest like this it looks like a bullet pointing straight down..