watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Eddie Howe - Future England Manager?

Started by CottagersOnTour, December 17, 2014, 03:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CottagersOnTour

One of my friends is a huge Bournemouth fan and has been raving about Eddie Howe since he took over when they had a -20 points deduction, were in League Two and looked like they were going to drop into non-league.

Eddie saved the day despite a transfer embargo and a substitute bench that consisted mainly of kids taking their GCSE's. After avoiding relegation the season after they were promoted to League 1 on a shoestring budget and they haven't looked back since (despite Eddies 18 month break at Burnley).

http://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2014/dec/16/day-in-the-life-bournemouth-manager-eddie-howe

He sent me this article today, interesting read.

As the title suggests, could he be a future England manager? My friend is convinced it will happen one day, he also said about 6 years ago that David Moyes would take over from Fergie, so he's had a pretty good guess with this kind of thing before!  :dft011:

Another thing he also mentioned that I didn't realise, this is only Bournemouth's 5th ever season in the Championship/Tier 2 in their entire history, they have never been in the premier league. He really has worked wonders in a relatively short period of time!

His training methods seem very intense, forward thinking and effective!

Fernhurst

Eddie will be the next Southampton manager first...... Loves the South Coast too much to stray far.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

snarks

The thing is, he really needs to be successful somewhere else to be considered a future england manager.

Doing it at one club doesn't give a fair pcture of a manager. Whilst he was Ok at Burnley he hardly set the world alight.

MJG

Really good article, thanks for the link to it.
he will need to move to a bigger club at some stage to prove his worth, but still very young and time on his side.

Slaphead in Qatar

They are the last team I would have expected to be top of the league. cant imagine them being in the premier league.

CottagersOnTour

Agree he needs to prove himself at other clubs first, but I certainly think he will be considered as an England manager in years to come if he continues to be successful.

Fernhurst - the end of the article says he loves walking his dog along the coast in the evenings, Southampton is probably not a bad shout for that reason alone! :)

I am certainly looking forward to their game tonight against Liverpool, might even stick a cheeky bet on them!

Two Ton Ted

I have a lot of time for Eddie Howe, I would have liked him to be considered for the Fulham job once upon a time, but as suggested above  he failed and jumped ship at Burnley.

What he's done at Bournemouth is outstanding but I think he'd need to either establish them as a top flight club or be successful at another club before he'd be considered as a future England manager.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Big Martin Jol

Quote from: Two Ton Ted on December 17, 2014, 05:41:50 PM
I have a lot of time for Eddie Howe, I would have liked him to be considered for the Fulham job once upon a time, but as suggested above  he failed and jumped ship at Burnley.

What he's done at Bournemouth is outstanding but I think he'd need to either establish them as a top flight club or be successful at another club before he'd be considered as a future England manager.

I agree. He has to prove himself in the top flight - whether that's with Bournemouth or, more likely, not. But he doesn't need to win it. There's such a dearth of English managerial talent that a couple of top ten finishes would put him firmly in the frame.

Look at the Premier League now - the top three English managers are Sam Allardyce, Alan Pardew and Gary Monk. The competition isn't exactly hot, is it? When Hodgson goes (probably after 2016, maybe 2018) we're going to be short of homegrown options.

Howe's 37, he's got back to back promotions and you'd have to favour him for another in the next season or two. So a few years down the line, who knows?

Besides, you don't have to have an incredible CV at club level to make a good int'l manager. Look at Jogi Low.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

Whitesideup

I have a lot of time for Eddie Howe, I would have liked him to be considered for the Fulham job once upon a time, but as suggested above  he failed and jumped ship at Burnley.

Establish Bournemouth as a top flight club? Maybe the "or be successful at another club" is a realistic possibility, but unfortunately there will be limits to the success he can achieve at Bournemouth.

CottagersOnTour

I have a lot of time for Eddie Howe, I would have liked him to be considered for the Fulham job once upon a time, but as suggested above  he failed and jumped ship at Burnley.

I believe him leaving Burnley was very mutual and amicable by all accounts, he was offered the job at Bournemouth and dropped down a division to take it. Lets face it, worked out well for all parties as they ended up with Sean Dyche!

He wasn't setting the world alight at Burnley but they were safe more towards the top of the table than the bottom, he also bought in people like Charlie Austin and Jay Rodriquez came through the youth ranks.

I thought they played ok last night against Liverpool, especially after they got their first goal (they were unlucky not to get a second shortly after when they hit the post).

It was noticeable that even at 3-0 down they were playing pass and move football and not just hoofing it up the pitch in the hopes of a 50/50 knockdown coming off in their favour....

HatterDon

Quote from: CottagersOnTour on December 18, 2014, 10:46:40 AM

I believe him leaving Burnley was very mutual and amicable by all accounts, he was offered the job at Bournemouth and dropped down a division to take it. Lets face it, worked out well for all parties as they ended up with Sean Dyche!

He wasn't setting the world alight at Burnley but they were safe more towards the top of the table than the bottom, he also bought in people like Charlie Austin and Jay Rodriquez came through the youth ranks.

I thought they played ok last night against Liverpool, especially after they got their first goal (they were unlucky not to get a second shortly after when they hit the post).

It was noticeable that even at 3-0 down they were playing pass and move football and not just hoofing it up the pitch in the hopes of a 50/50 knockdown coming off in their favour....

I agree. I thing that for a neutral the decision by BOTH teams to stay on the deck and play attractive football made it a great match to watch. There's not a lot you could have learned about what we'll be facing when we visit them, though, because they actually had fewer front-line players starting than did Liverpool, but I'm sure that our match will also be good to watch. We're going to have to be VERY good to even get a point, though. These guys are seriously hot right now.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Fernhurst

Don't expect anything at Bournemouth.
Proper football club who I feel will out pass us.

Don't mind me, I predicted we would lose at Leeds.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Jonaldiniho 88

Didn't Keegan leave us for England after a promotion or two? Maybe things have changed but we weren't flying all that high when he got the call up. With the lack of young British managers maybe he is a good shout for future England manager if he can get Bournemouth promoted.

Two Ton Ted

keegan got the England job becuase of his limited success at Newcastle and the power of the press, nothing to do with what he did at Fulham.

snarks

..and lets face it Keegan was a disaster (for England).

I would like to see Howe do well, and do feel that one of the London Clubs would suit him, I'm not sure he will go to Southampton, the supporters don't like each other much.

With the way Spurs are going, I can see him being the next in a long line of Managers there.

MJG

Any English manager who has a bit of success..wins 3 games in a row...gets linked with the job. Howe is just the latest in a long line.

Two Ton Ted

He's a good fit for Spurs or West Ham IMO.  

I would have liked him to have been offered the Fulham job 12 months ago.

CottagersOnTour

Quote from: MJG on December 19, 2014, 10:52:16 AM
Any English manager who has a bit of success..wins 3 games in a row...gets linked with the job. Howe is just the latest in a long line.

So true.

I think this link may have a bit more strength in it though, he's similar to an English Roberto Martinez in my eyes (who the press were also hinting at becoming England manager at one point)!

It will be interesting to see which direction they take after Roy, probably one of the Neville brothers....!

SouthWest6

We'll be knocking Bournemouth off their perch on Boxing day. From that game on, I can see the wheels coming off. Normally I'm very negative about Fulham, but I just have this Fulhamish feeling about this game.