watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why do I mention bad refereeing?

Started by Nick Bateman, December 21, 2014, 07:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Some people have accused me of being too concerned about referees.  Today I watched a Premier League game between Liverpool & Arsenal and just wished to relax and enjoy a quality battle.

While that did happen the referee ended up changing the result in favour of a team which arguably receives the most decisions for them in Arsenal, partly due to the fact Rupert Murdoch supports Arsenal as well.

In the first half, Flamini who was deservedly on a booking, elbowed Lallana in the face.  The ref (Michael Oliver) gave the foul yet no booking for an elbow ensued.  I have never heard of an elbowing incident not being booked after giving a foul, and although Sky mentioned it, they barely dwelled on it.

After Liverpool took the lead Oliver hastily awarded Arsenal a free-kick immediately afterwards in a dangerous position.  There was a small amount of contact from Gerrard's challenge on Sanchez but then the Arsenal forward did an exaggerated dive which Brendan Rodgers afterwards called a dive and no foul!  All of the Sky commentary deemed it was a foul, so no controversy going by their views, yet the official was booed off the pitch at half-time.

Arsenal subsequently equalized and later went on to take an undeserved lead (which is fine) with only 3 attempts to Liverpool's 27, but a major incident occurred.  Skertel looked as though he was elbowed in the back of the head by Olivier Giroud who then looked to have stamped on the stricken player on the floor.   The ref gave a foul and the game was stopped while Sketel received attention.  

During this time, Sky showed only ONE replay of the incident while the game paused over SIX minutes.  Sky found no reason to show the stamping by Giroud again, even though Gary Neville said "only the player knows if he meant it" to the British public.  

Sky are well aware of 'Trial-by-TV' and I beleive deliberately refused to show any more angles of what Giroud did in fear of getting him suspended (a deliberate act like that would be an automatic 3-match ban).  This would not be the case of a team Rupert Murdoch did not like.

Yet later the ref sent off a Liverpool player for raising his boot but a small amount of justice was served when the 'Puds' drew level.

So why do I go on about referees?  We see performances like this, particularly in the PL every single week.  Sky TV and the media cover up for the very partisan officiating, otherwise it would not be able to continue.  It ruins my enjoyment of a great game and what ever level I see it and feel the same way.

It will affect Fulham, when or if we ever get back into the top flight, and then the detractors of my remarks will see it hit home.  I just hope our more enlightened supporters see the same issue and not accept this predicament laying down.

I wanted to enjoy a football match today; I was prevented from doing so.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Berserker

Glad I didn't watch it
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Nick Bateman

I think the major thing that bothered me was that Sky didn't show another replay of Giroud stamping on Skertel's head.  This was after the first replay where Neville remarked "only the player would know if he meant it".

So Sky, in my view, were covering up for Arsenal's Giroud, and now employing Thierry Henry it all fits in Murdoch's plan.  Previously they tried to buy Manchester United but were thwarted.

Andy S

As long as the ref saw the original incident and acted on it there is no further case for Giroud to answer. Our referee yesterday was nowhere near prem level but our own supporters could not agree whether Woodrow dived or was tripped. Referees are under pressure to get decisions correct and not sit on the fence. Consequently they will get some decisions wrong but at least the match keeps moving

love4ffc

For me I find it funny that in every other game Skertel has his head wrapped.  He should just start the game that way so he can preempt the whole ordeal.
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

RPhillips

"Rupert Murdoch supports Arsenal" -- source for this?

snarks

Having seen the reply, it looked more of a stumble than a stamp, completely different to Balotelli kicking Scotty P a few years ago for Man City v Spurs.

Not sure I agree with any of the points, Liverpool are not a good side compared to last year, and whilst the Arse were woeful, I don't think the referee had that much of an effect on the final score.

cmg

Quite amusing to read a lengthy diatribe concerning the iniquities of PL refs (which are manifest) when we suffer from even worse incompetence in the Championship.

I don't really know what the answer is to poor standards of refereeing. I would advocate a very large increase in fees, at the same time make them much easier to sack. They are not helped by some of the foolish 'interpretations' of the Laws which are foisted on them.

The notion that Sky were somehow rooting for Arsenal is even more baffling to me. I thought the Sky commentry team sounded like a branch of the Liverpool Supporters Club.

Nick Bateman

I take on board all the above replies.  So good to hear intelligent Fulham fans voicing their opinion on this forum.  As for the incident, the ref gave a foul for the initial push on Skertel's neck which bowled him over.  What he may have missed was the stamp by Giroud which Sky, in their wisdom, only replayed once in the entire six minutes of interlude, which indicates to me they do not want to outrage opinion and get Giroud banned aftwerwards. 

The commentary however was fair throughout the game I felt.

Forever Fulham

I listened to (only) the second half of that game in my car (XM Radio) and I thought the commentary was remarkably low key.  The play by play man painted a nice picture of movement, position, reaction.  Listening to a game is so different from passively watching it on TV.  Your mind fills in blanks.  You imagine what you can't see.  In some ways, it's more fun that watching.  More of a surprise element when good or bad happens.

nose

I agree the refs are awful but the media coverage and bias is worse because there are so many discpicable things that go on that are not highlited or are highlited depending on what teams play.
mr oliver and the murf 'penalty' at old trafford bearly got a mention and of course carrick, an england squad player, is not allowed to be shown up for the that terrible 'profesional foul' , like gerrard is never held up as an example of a cheat because he is an england player..... 

the only time the media really supported fulham was when we were in europe and they certainly behaved  better toward us then.