more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (25/12/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 25, 2014, 07:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Now To Follow That!

The profitable trip that yielded 3 points and 6 goals at Blackpool.

Another side that was in the Premiership in Fulham make the trip down from London to face an in form Cherries side.

Fulham one of the favourites for promotion at the beginning of the season have found it hard in the Championship so far and are in 13th place in the table 14 points behind the leaders AFCB.

After 7 games Fulham found themselves rooted at the bottom of the Championship with 1 point on the table the same as our last opponents Blackpool who had a better Goal Difference.

Kit Symons became their manager and since then things have gradually improved for the Cottagers and they have W8 D3 L4, the last win was at home by 4-0 against Sheffield Wednesday and previously they beat Leeds away 1-0, previous to that they were soundly beaten at home by Watford 5-0.
AFC Bournemouth Team News:
As long as everyone is fit would expect the same side that thrashed Blackpool.

Player to watch: Matt Ritchie
Will stick with Matt Ritchie who is on top of his form pulling the strings and finding the net, scoring a brace at Blackpool.
Fulham Team News:
Ross McCormack has been linked with a move away from Fulham, with the striker denying a potential January move to Derby.

Will be interesting seeing Scott Parker up against his brother-in-law Harry Arter.
Player to watch: Hugo Rodallega
Hugo Rodallega the Colombia born player who is leading scorer with 9 league goals, roughly a goal every other game.

Match Facts & Stats
The last time we met Fulham was in Division 2 in the 1998-99 season where we drew 1-1 at Dean Court and 0-0 at their ground. Fulham finished that season as Champions with 101 points, 14 points clear of Walsall in second place, AFCB finished 7th.

In our games against Fulham at home we have W7 D3 L2 F22 A14.

All competitions we have W10 D9 L10 F35 A40.

Read more: http://www.bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchprere.asp?a=381234#ixzz3MtNUeyZB

WhiteJC

Next Up: Bournemouth

We look ahead to Fulham's Boxing Day encounter at high-flying AFC Bournemouth, who continue to lead the way in the Sky Bet Championship.

The opposition

It's hard to envisage Bournemouth, currently sitting top in England's second tier, struggling to retain their Football League status, but relegation from League Two in 2008/09 was a real possibility.

Former defender Eddie Howe – who made more than 300 appearances for the Cherries during his playing days – took over in what was his first managerial role, and he subsequently guided them to safety, before earning promotion the following year.

They almost went up again at the first time of asking, only to be denied at the Play-Offs, with Howe then departing to take charge of Burnley. He was back before long, though, and went on to take Bournemouth into the second tier for the first time since 1990.

Last season they secured a respectable 10th position, but they've exceeded all expectations this time around, topping the standings and outscoring every other side in the country – they've hit the net 50 times in the league already.

They go into Friday's meeting with Fulham unbeaten in 12 Championship outings, the most recent of which was a 6-1 triumph away to Blackpool.

Inside the camp

Bournemouth winger Matt Ritchie thinks his side have enough in their locker to maintain their promotion challenge until the end of the season.

The Cherries have proved to be the Championship's surprise package so far, and when asked by BBC Radio Solent if they can handle the pressure, Ritchie stated: "I believe so, yes.

"We're not going to get ahead of ourselves. We're going to keep our feet on the floor, keep working hard and keep the same mentality we've shown so far. Hopefully we can keep winning games.

"We've got young lads, and hungry lads that have probably got their best years of their career ahead of them.

"We've all got the desire to play at the highest level, there's great hunger in the dressing room and a desire to get better and improve.

"Come the end of May, we'll see where we're at."

Player to watch

Callum Wilson: Bournemouth have got an array of attacking options (six players have scored five or more goals already) but it's Callum Wilson who's been the main focal point with 13 strikes to his name so far. Signed from Coventry City in the summer after scoring 22 times in 2013/14, he's made a seamless transition stepping up to the second tier. With blistering pace and the capability of scoring a variety of different goal types, he's a man who could have a big say as to whether the Cherries can reach the Premier League. The striker's form this season has not gone unnoticed at international level, either, and he made his England Under-21 debut in a 3-2 defeat by France.

Marathonbet match odds

Bournemouth: 69/100

Draw: 29/10

Fulham: 24/5

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/december/24/next-up-bournemouth?

WhiteJC

Bournemouth v Fulham

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: Goldsands Stadium Date: Friday, 26 December Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Coverage: Listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

Championship leaders Bournemouth could name an unchanged side following last weekend's 6-1 thrashing of Blackpool.

Ian Harte could return after recovering a calf injury but Elliott Ward and Tokelo Rantie remain sidelined.

Fulham will be without right-back Tim Hoogland who needs a hernia operation which will keep him out until mid-January, and Fernando Amorebieta (knee) is also set to miss out.

Sean Kavanagh (thigh) and Adam Taggart (groin) are fit after recent lay-offs.

The game could see Bournemouth's Harry Arter take on brother-in-law Scott Parker of Fulham.

Head-to-Head
•   This is the first meeting since a 1-1 draw at Bournemouth in the old Division Two in March 1999.
•   Bournemouth are unbeaten in the last four meetings, winning two. Fulham's last win was 3-1 away in the old Division Two in January 1994.
•   Fulham have won only one of the last seven meetings at Bournemouth, drawing two and losing four.

Bournemouth
•   Bournemouth have won nine of their last 12 games in the Championship, drawing three. Their last league defeat was 2-0 at Derby on 30 September.
•   Bournemouth lost their last home game 3-1 against Liverpool in the Capital One Cup on 17 December - their first defeat in nine home games.

Fulham
•   Fulham have won three of their last four games, losing the other. Their only defeat since 21 November was 5-0 against Watford at home on 5 December.
•   Fulham have won their last two away games, against Brighton and Leeds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30543340

WhiteJC

Kit scores and Cherries get pipped at the post

Rewind: League Two (third tier), March 2, 1999 : Bournemouth 1-1 Fulham

On target: The White who would become manager
The last time the two sides met Fulham were top dogs and Bournemouth were play-off pretenders.

What goes around, comes around, eh?

It somewhat underlines football's cyclical brief that tables are turned when the two square up at the Goldsands Stadium, Dean Court that was, on Boxing Day.

Water a result! Keegan celebrates promotion
The Cherries now have a backer willing to plough in a quid or two. Fulham had one in 1999, they still do, albeit it a different one. It isn't rocket science. Buy the best available; build a team ethos along the way; and Robert is your father's brother.

Eddie Howe appears to have cracked it on the South coast just as Kevin Keegan did to take the Whites to a 101 points and promotion to the second tier.

Although Fulham beat every side in a record-busting campaign that included Premier League Aston Villa in the FA Cup, they couldn't get past Bournemouth.

The first match ended 0-0 at Craven Cottage in August, and although the Whites were all but home and hosed by the return, they had to settle for another share of the points.

One imagines Kit Symons might take that right now.

Goal: Jamie Vincent (L) scores and celebrates with ex-Chelsea Mark Stein
The man who would become manager made his debut eight months earlier after a 124-game career at Manchester City, and was an immediate hit by shoring up the back and scoring 11 for his new club, one shy of Roger Brown's all-time record for a defender.

He headed home to put Fulham in front after half time, only to see the lead cancelled out by Jamie Vincent's equaliser.

But the Whites scorer remembers nothing about the goal.

"I think for once it didn't come for a corner," Symons said, "they usually did. But I do remember it was a midweek game." Correct: a Tuesday as it happened.

Another Bournemouth goal would have made no difference to Fulham's championship title: they won it by 14 points - but it made a big difference to the home side.

[/img]
Safe hands: Maik Taylor
The Cherries were pipped at the post when they finish seventh on the same points as Wigan but denied the last play-off spot by goal difference.

Vincent's strike also deprived keeper Maik Taylor of a 25th clean sheet in 46 games, which he augmented by four in the club's 12 cup ties that season.

But after Keegan departed for England just over a month later, Fulham were stymied the following season by the 'dustcart that followed the Lord Mayor's show' according to former director and club historian Dennis Turner.

Paul Bracewell was no King Kev, and it took another season before La Revolution draped in a tricolour flew from the Cottage roof.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kit-scores-cherries-pipped-post-8337067?

WhiteJC

Family Values

On Boxing Day, brothers-in-law Harry Arter and Scott Parker will be putting family festivities to one side in search of three points.

The pair are set to go head-to-head in the middle of the park when AFC Bournemouth host Fulham and speaking in Matchday, the Cherries' official programme, Arter says: "I don't remember the first time I met Scott because I was probably only around seven at the time. But when I look back now, I always looked up to him because he was doing what I wanted to do and I tried to copy certain things he did. Most brothers aren't too keen on their sister's boyfriends, but he was a role model for me and someone I aspired to be like."

Whites skipper Parker states: "I remember watching Harry play for his local team Beehive when he was really young. I had only just started seeing Carly (Harry's sister and now Scott's wife) and on the second day of dating her we went to watch Harry. Obviously, there are plenty of memories of him running round the garden like a nutter afterwards, but that's the first one.

"I'm 10 years older than Harry but we have a bond because of what we do. I feel like I have a responsibility to help him wherever I can and I'm always there for him. I don't think I'm too pushy, but he knows that I'm there for him. I do feel like a big brother."

Arter adds: "I talk to him about certain players in the Championship as he hasn't played against many of the teams before because he has been at a higher level. As much as he probably doesn't need the advice, it might help him and we always text each other before the game and wish each other good luck. He follows every game and asks how it went. I'm sure he is glad to see me doing well, as I am when he's doing well.

"It's going to be strange [on Boxing Day]. Brothers-in-law playing against each other doesn't happen often and I think professionalism is the key word. We both understand that as much as we respect each other, that will all be put to one side and we have to play the game like we normally would.

"You can't afford to let any emotions get in the way because if you do, it doesn't affect you, it affects the team. I have no doubt that it will be a strange feeling, but it's another game and we will both have 10 other players relying on us to perform."

The Cherries' 108-page Matchday programme is available around the ground and in Bournemouth's club store on Boxing Day.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/december/24/a-family-affair?

WhiteJC

Are Fulham still full of Premier league stars?

The visit of Fulham on Boxing Day is one game that I bet many AFCB supporters have been looking forward to since the fixtures were announced. I am sure that Harry Arter will have particularly marked it on his calender as a big match day with the hope of playing against his brother-in-law Scott Parker. Scott had not been in the Fulham team since the Watford game when they lost 0-5, but made his return last weekend against Sheffield Wednesday. Hopefully Scott plays, but what other names are we likely to see who were in the Premier League only last season?

The big man up front of course is Hugo Rodallega who has fired his way up to nine goals now and is starting to show that he is one of the top acts in the Championship, especially when he wins games with the all important strike, as he did against Leeds United. Fulham also have Moussa Dembele and Costa Rican star Bryan Ruiz, so don't expect Fulham not to have some big name strikers to choose from if they fit. Championship top scorer last season, Ross McCormack seems to have gotten the vote though to partner Rodallega and while the large transfer fee that Fulham paid for him had many fans shocked over the summer, the former Leeds man is always a striker that can make a goal from nothing. Even last season he smashed one in against AFCB that I still remember clearly with a great strike from outside the box.

Move down the squad though to the midfield and defence and it becomes harder to recognise players stick in the mind as star players. However, one player that is getting talked about is Lasse Vugen Christensen who has been a key midfield player, especially when Scott Parker has been absent. That is perhaps some of the challenge that Symons has to rebuild this side at the back and in midfield. The keeper position is intriguing as Symons has usually gone for Marcus Bettinilli, a 22-year-old who was at Conference side Dartford on loan only a couple of years ago and gained a fair amount of experience at Accrington Stanley in the last two seasons, but he has made 15 starts in the Championship now. Mark Steklenberg is still at Fulham on loan, but has not played this season.

Konstantinos Stafylidid, 21, has been a regular starter wearing the number 3 and is the Greek player is on loan from Bayer Leverkusen. Right back Tim Hoogland also came from the Bundesliga in the summer. Bulgarian Nikolay Bodurov is a central defender that also signed last summer.

It's the same story in midfield with young players being knitted together to replace the former Premier league high earners that were at the club. Mark Fotheringham was a summer signing and Lasse Vigen Christensen only made his Fulham debut in the FA Cup third round last season, while Emerson Hyndman only made his debut against Ipswich in August and Frenchman Seko Fofana has only been at Fulham a month and has been getting high praise for his midfield performances.

Considering such an influx of new and young players, and I have only picked out a few hear that have played their part in the Fulham squad this season, you can see that it is understandable that Fulham made a slow start, although I expect Fulham fans also point towards Magath, who did not exactly win many games in the Premier League or the Championship. But this is a team that is learning fast as it has had to and their upward march to mid-table proves that they are becoming a good side and with the striking power they have Fulham can be one of the teams of the second half of this season.

http://afcbchimes.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/are-fulham-still-full-of-premier-league.html?

WhiteJC

Kit's Bournemouth Preview

Kit Symons insists a trip to top-of-the-table AFC Bournemouth on Boxing Day holds no fear for his Fulham side.

The Cherries have scored 11 goals in their last two games and currently sit a point clear of second-placed Ipswich Town.

But the Whites are enjoying a good run of form of their own - last weekend's 4-0 home win over Sheffield Wednesday saw Symons' side climb up to 13th.

"We've got to be on top of our game, without a doubt," said Symons in his pre-match press conference on Christmas Eve. "They're an excellent side in terrific form. They've scored 50 goals already which is some achievement. We know we've got to be tight as a group but I'm not one for parking the bus. We need to play our game and we can cause anyone problems. We need to be positive and that's what we'll be.

"It's not daunting, I'm really excited and I think it will be fantastic game of football. I fancy us to beat anyone on our day, we just need to make sure Boxing Day is our day and we start the game properly and are at it from the word go. We've got some excellent players and the team spirit and camaraderie is looking good. Bournemouth are there to be shot at right now and we're going to come out all guns firing."

Symons, who will again be without Tim Hoogland who has undergone a hernia operation, and the injured Fernando Amorebieta, will take his side to the Cherries 10 points adrift of the top six.

But, at a time of year for resolutions, he's looking for Fulham to continue their climb up the Sky Bet Championship table in 2015 as well as shore things up at the back.

"We're at the halfway point of the season now and it's been an interesting first half," he smiled. "It's been fantastic for me personally and there's been a lot of progress. There's still a lot of hard work to do, we're far from the finished article but there has been a big improvement.

"I've set targets with the players that will remain in-house. We still need to work our way up the league and we're still looking over our shoulders as much as we're looking ahead. We need to be conscious of both, a couple of slips in this league and you're right back in the mire. But this Club is on the up and we intend for that to last a long time.

"Overall our defensive record hasn't been good enough. We've conceded too many goals over the whole of the season to date but it's something we've worked hard on addressing and in three out of the last four games it's been much better. I'm confident we can become tighter defensively and our attacking play is there to be seen."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/december/24/kits-bmouth-preview?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss reveals game plan to beat league leaders Bournemouth

Manager insists Cherries won't turn his Christmas sour

Fulham boss Kit Symons reckons his side need to attack from the start if they are to upset league leaders Bournemouth on Boxing Day.

The Cherries have scored 11 in their last two outings, but Symons refuses to park a defensive bus as he also hopes to build on a return to form.

Fulham beat Sheffield Wednesday 4-0 on Saturday, and the manager insists he can make it three wins on the bounce if his players say no to second helpings of Christmas pud the day before.

"We've got to be on top of our game," he said. "Bournemouth have scored 50 goals already and we have to be tight. But I'm not one for parking the bus, and we need to be positive.

"I'm not worried about facing a side in form. In fact, I'm really excited and I fancy we can beat anyone on our day."

It's a midfield battle of the brothers-in-law when Fulham's Scott Parker squares up the Cherries' Harry After.

The Bournemouth man has described the family feud as 'surreal'; Symons is convinced the former England international won't turn a hair.

"They're both very important players," he said. "But Scott will just get on with it and treat it like any normal game."

Fulham will train on Christmas Day; go home to their families, and return for a Boxing Day breakfast before getting on the coach for the trip to the South coast.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-reveals-game-plan-8344308?

WhiteJC

On the up: Fulham are a team to be wary of

If you had not noticed there has been a fairly good change of fortune in Fulham's forward progress in the championship since Kit Symons took over from Felix Magath. They now sit comfortably in mid-table and probably have the finances to bring in a couple of quality players in the next transfer window that could even yet see them make a rush for the play-offs.

Recent results have been fairly good for the Cottagers who have beaten Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Brighton and Huddersfield in the last month or so and yet where they have struggled is when they have played the top half teams. That might be good news for the Cherries as might Fulham's away from that will have to improve if they are to make a challenge for a play-off place in the second half of the season. Their last two away wins at Leeds and Brighton perhaps indicates that they are improving away from home. Before those late November and early December wins, you have to go back to September when they beat Birmingham.

What is clear to see is that Fulham are still regularly leaking goals. The Leeds game aside it is not often that Fulham keep a clean sheet away from home. If they start getting that right they will climb still higher in the table. AFCB need to beware of a team like this who I am sure will do all they can to raise their performance against when they come to the Goldsands. They have the quality and will be looking for a result against a top six side to really start their own push into the top 10.

If AFCB thought this would be an easy game though Eddie Howe will point them in the direction of Fulham's last result. That was quite a turnaround from the 0-5 defeat that Watford handed out to them earlier in December. A clean sheet and four goals is a result to build confidence and the Cherries will have to try and dent that quickly in the Boxing Day match.

Fulham Away Form
LDWLW

AFCB Home Form
WWDDW

http://afcbchimes.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/on-up-fulham-are-team-to-be-wary-of.html