more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (15/01/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 14, 2015, 06:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Game Against Fulham Postponed

Our Championship encounter against Fulham at Craven Cottage has been postponed following their continued involvement in the fourth round of the FA Cup this season.

We were set to make the trip on Saturday January 24, but with their FA Cup third round replay with Wolverhampton Wanderers ending in a three all draw at the end of extra time, they put themselves through as winners in the penalty shoot out, and with fourth round games set for that weekend, our league encounter has been bounced.

Following discussions about this eventuality between both clubs, a new date has already been set with the Football League and we will now head to them on Wednesday January 21 with the game kicking off at 7.45pm.

Read more: http://www.forest.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=549534#ixzz3Ooue0iGa

WhiteJC

Wolves 3-3 Fulham

Wolves usual FA Cup third round exit occurred last night, albeit not in the usual limp way. After drawing with Fulham 3-3 after extra time, Matt Doherty's missed penalty in the subsequent shootout was ultimately Kenny Jackett's team's undoing.

- After an excellent win away at Blackburn Rovers only two days prior, it was of no surprise that Kenny Jackett made a few changes to the starting line-up for the visit of Fulham in the FA Cup. Given the diminished importance of the Cup in recent years, I think Jackett would have made a couple of changes no matter how long since the previous game. With Benik Afobe apparently set to arrive, neither Leon Clarke nor Nouha Dicko were selected upfront. Given that Dicko is seemingly made of glass, I think I always expected him to be rested. But in what could have been one of Clarke's last chances to make an impact in a Wolves shirt, winger turned striker Rajiv van La Parra ploughed a lone furrow upfront, while Liam McAlinden was selected on the left wing. Elsewhere, Matt Doherty came in at left back for the cup-tied Kortney Hause and Lee Evans replaced Sunday's match winner, Dave Edwards.

- Fulham lined up in a diamond formation, with Scott Parker protecting the midfield at the base, and Ross McCormack at the tip, just in behind a striker pairing of Cauley Woodrow and Moussa Dembélé (no, not that one). McCormack was at the heart of everything Fulham did, and found it far too easy to find space in behind Jack Price and Kevin McDonald. He really did look a class above, stinging Carl Ikeme's fingertips with a drive from distance early on, and putting a clear chance on a plate for Dembélé to fluff.

- One of the issues with playing a diamond is a lack of width. Often, none of the midfielders are really wide men, so it relies on either the forwards to drift to the flank or the fullbacks to put forward.  For Fulham, it was the fullbacks who got forward. Initially, I thought we were going to have a classic fullback v winger battle between Liam McAlinden and Jack Grimmer, along the lines of Cristiano Ronaldo v Ashley Cole at Euro 2004, or Scott Golbourne v Patrick Roberts at Craven Cottage earlier in the season; a match up where despite being in direct opposition, both the winger and fullback excel. McAlinden ran at Grimmer early on, Grimmer won the tackle, but as both collapsed to the ground, I'm fairly certain both kicked out at the other. Then five minutes later McAlinden elected not to try and beat Grimmer, but instead whipped in a dangerous cross. But equally, going the other way, Grimmer twice went past McAlinden like he wasn't there. The opening goal came from Fulham's other fullback, as Kostas Stafylidis got forward, and delivered a cross that was superbly headed in by Woodrow.

- Given Fulham's lack of width upfront, this meant that fullbacks Dominic Iorfa and Matt Doherty had no direct opponent. Instead, whenever Iorfa or Doberty got the ball, Seko Fofana or Sean Kavanagh shuttled out to close them down, with the other midfielder tucking in to make it 3v3 in the centre of the park. This meant that the other fullback was often left free, but we didn't move the ball quick enough to utilise this. Lee Evans, the one midfielder who can move the ball quickly from flank to flank was playing in the number 10 role, and thus was too far up the pitch to spread the play. Evans struggled in this role, never really getting into the game. I don't think he has the skill on the ball, that burst of pace to take him past a defender or the nous to really play in this position.

- One of the advantages of having McAlinden wide left is that we had someone who could go down the outside of Grimmer. He only did this once, whipping in a good cross before being switched with van La Parra after Fulham took the lead. The issue we then had is with a left flank of van La Parra and Doherty; both of them were always looking to cut inside on their right foot. This meant we had no real width down the left flank, and a congested central midfield area as those two constantly drove inside. I'm a big fan of having left footed players in a team, I think they can open up the pitch in a way that a team of right footers can't. Having just right footers in our first 10 players meant we lost a dimension that we'd have otherwise.

- At half-time, Jackett made a tactical switch, moving to a diamond for the first time that I can remember since we beat Swindon last season. On came Nouha Dicko and David Edwards, replacing James Henry and McAlinden. Price sat deepest in the diamond, McDonald to the left, Evans to the right and Edwards was in behind van La Parra and Dicko. Van La Parra seemed to position himself on the right hand side, meaning that we were quite lopsided for much of the second half. With neither side playing with wingers, this almost made the fullbacks on both side redundant. I did wonder whether we could have taken off Doherty and moved to three at the back, giving us an extra man further forward. Doherty was reluctant to go outside down the left (in fact, on the basis of one run and cross, Richard Stearman, who was excellent, was probably our biggest threat down that flank) and at times Iorfa's brain and feet appeared to be on different wavelengths. However, Iorfa was a threat down the right, reaching the by-line and pulling a decent ball back that Dicko couldn't quite convert. This meant a change in formation for Fulham, who moved to a more orthodox 4-4-2. Ross McCormack switched to the right flank, while Kavanagh pulled out to the left. This did marginalise McCormack, who was never in the game as much while playing out wide.

- We had a decent spell of pressure, and could have equalised a few times. Firstly Doherty headed an Evans' corner onto the post and saw his rebound cleared off the line, before Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli tipped a Dicko drive onto the bar. But, the equaliser came, and it was well worked as Iorfa reached the byline, and this time his cut back was met by Edwards, who prodded into the goal. Two minutes later and Wolves were ahead. This was thanks to a moment of brilliance by Kevin McDonald who for so long in the second half was marginalised as he was stuck on the left hand side of midfield. This time though, he got the ball in the centre of the pitch, played a beautiful through ball to van La Parra, whose delicate chip over the sprawling Bettinelli almost didn't reach the goal line. But we couldn't hold on for long, and Dembélé's shot was parried by Carl Ikeme, leaving Cauley Woodrow with as easy a tap in as he'll ever have.

- With the snow falling, both teams struggled with the conditions. The ball wasn't rolling true, leading to a lot of miss hit and underhit passes. Wolves took the lead in extra time as Danny Batth picked the ball up and drove forward down the right. His driven cross was flicked him by Dave Edwards at the near post, to leave me with the hope I'd catch my train. But it wasn't to be, and in the last minute, referee David Coote awarded Fulham a free kick on the edge of the area. McCormack's free kick was struck into the wall, with dhxjx adjudging that someone handled the ball. Penalty, and McCormack rolled the ball in with the last kick of the game. I've no idea if it was handball or not, I really couldn't see from my seat. But I thought the initial free kick looked harsh - it seemed very much to be a player whose team were losing in the last minute, throwing himself to the floor in complete desperation. But, a penalty shootout, and I thought generally the standard of the penalties were poor, with Doherty's being the stand out. His run up was stupid, and I never thought he looked like he was going to score. Edwards' and Clarke's penalties looked decent from where I was, but once again it's an FA Cup third round exit.

http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s115/st188188.htm?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss defends new role for £11m McCormack

Striker now a number 10 for Whites

Spot on: McCormack levels in the final seconds of extra time
Ross McCormack has switched to a deeper role for Fulham - and his manager insists that's where last season's leading Championship scorer is most dangerous.

The Scot saved the day with a 120th minute penalty to exit Wolves from the FA Cup at a snowy Molineux last night, but it was McCormack's first goal since December 20 in the 4-0 rout of Sheffield Wednesday.

However, Kit Symons reckons the club's £11m signing has more strings to his bow than just getting on the end of chances in the box.

"Ross is more than capable playing behind two strikers," said Symons.

"He can play out wide, he's very versatile. When he plays that role we don't want him to come too deep. If he can get the ball in between their midfield and back four that's when he's most dangerous, and when he comes back from high into that pocket of space.

"When we changed our shape to a flatter four, (against Wolves) he went and played wide and showed what a talented footballer he is."

The tie that went to a penalty shoot-out won by Whites 5-3 only got completed when both managers agreed to continue as a near blizzard raged.

Snow falls during the FA Cup tie between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fulham
"There was a spell where I couldn't see what was going on," Symons admitted. "The ref checked with both of us we were happy to continue. I was and Kenny (Jackett) was, as long as the players safety was guaranteed we were OK with it.

"We went through the mill during the game. But we've done that before: 3-3 away to Wigan and down to 10 men; 3-3 to Rotherham when we came from behind. We're still a work in progress, but it shows the character of the club.

"Our recent football has been quite nice, but we lacked a cutting edge, but we had more shots in the first half than the last three games put together."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-defends-new-role-8443502?

WhiteJC

Hutchy: Crazy Game

Shaun Hutchinson admitted that playing in arctic conditions at Molineux was a new experience for him, but he was ecstatic to see his Fulham side emerge from the blizzard victorious.

The Whites won the thrilling FA Cup Third Round Replay against Wolverhampton Wanderers on penalties after the game finished 3-3 at the end of extra-time, and Hutchinson confessed it was a surreal match to feature in.

"Never in my life have I played in weather like that," he told fulhamfc.com. "I've never even seen conditions like that. When the ball was at the other end of the pitch you literally couldn't see it.

"It's one of those games that was just mental. I've never been a part of anything like that before and I doubt I will again."

In what was a topsy-turvy 120 minutes, Fulham led through Cauley Woodrow's first-half header, before two Wolves goals in three minutes after the restart saw the home side take the lead.

Woodrow grabbed his second moments later to restore parity and enforce an additional half hour, in which Wanderers went ahead for the second time, only for Ross McCormack to nab a dramatic equaliser in the 122nd minute.

It came from the penalty spot after the striker's initial free-kick had hit Lee Evans' arm in the box, and Hutchinson had no sympathy for the Wolves midfielder.

He explained: "Whenever I'm in the wall the referee always says 'don't lift your arms because if you do then I'm going to give a penalty.' That's what they always say.

"Once he's gone up and it's hit his arm then he can't really have any complaints – they'd been warned. I've not seen it again but the referee does say that before every free-kick.

"I'm sure it was an enjoyable game for the fans. The way we played first half I thought we were superb, it was just frustrating that we couldn't continue that because if we had then I think we probably would have had the game sealed.

"We had a few chances where we could have finished it off when we were 1-0 up, but it wasn't to be. I'm sure the fans enjoyed that entertainment but we're a little bit annoyed because we said we had to make sure we keep it going.

"In my opinion, in the first half we were really good – we popped the ball around really well and got the goal, but then came out second half and let them get on top of us a bit."

Fulham's battling qualities in the West Midlands were epitomised perfectly by Hutchinson's performance at the heart of defence.

The 24-year-old bravely threw himself into block after block in the difficult conditions, but it's all in a day's work for Hutchy.

"You've got to at times, haven't you?" he said. "The opportunity came a few times where I had to put my body on the line and thankfully it was worth it as Cauley popped up with two goals at the other end."

The victory over Wolves set up a Fourth Round tie away at Barclays Premier League outfit Sunderland on Saturday week – a fixture that the Hutchinson family from Newcastle are eagerly awaiting.

"I looked in the crowd and I saw mam and dad going mental!" Hutchinson smiled. "It's a chance to play against the local rivals so they're absolutely buzzing, and I'm looking forward to it as well."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/14/hutchy-crazy-game?

WhiteJC

Back the boys at Fulham

Join 2,500 other Royals on Saturday

Less than 100 tickets remain in the away end for Reading's trip to Fulham on Saturday.

Over 2,500 vociferous Royals are set to head to West London as Steve Clarke side bid to extend their unbeaten run to five games, and those who have yet to purchase their seats can still do so.

Although remaining tickets are quickly running out, fans will still be able to buy a restricted view seat once the original allocation has sold. They are located within the away end and each ticket will be discounted by £2.

Alternatively, Fulham have confirmed that supporters will be able to purchase tickets in the neutral section, located next to the away end, on the day of the game. They will, however, be subject to a £5 price increased and can only be purchased with cash.   

The Royals beat the Cottagers 3-0 earlier in the season and a victory on Saturday would give Reading their first league double over the West Londoners since the 2006/07 season.

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/reading-football-club-fulham-tickets-2202714.aspx#WBicMKGhvGxzXUhd.99

WhiteJC

Symons Reflects on Moulineux Victory

Last night, at Moulineux, was a war of attrition.

Fulham Football Club had to dig deep to com eback from behind not just the once but twice in weather conditions that were trying to say the least.

Following the victorious penalty shoot-out, Kit Symons faced the media and had this to say about what had gone on out on that snowy Moulineux pitch,

"I spoke with a couple of staff afterwards and they said great way to win a cup tie. I suppose it was, but we really went through the mill in a pulsating cup tie that had everything.

"It says a lot for the character of the lads to claw it back twice when we looked beaten.

"We`ve done it before when we drew 3-3 away to Rotherham and 3-3 away to Wigan. At Rotherham we were behind three times - at Wigan we were down to ten men going into the last couple of minutes.

"We`re still a work in progress, but this gives us a great chance now of building. We managed more shots in the first half than we have seen in the last month."

Obviously a reference to the pre-match request, from Kit, whereby he lamented the desire t score the perfect goal and shoot on sight instead.

Hopefully the commitment, desire and form shown last night will be prevalent in the Championship fixture with Reading this Saturday.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=384311#ixzz3OowV7bse

WhiteJC

Wolves 3 Fulham 3 (3-5 on penalties)

In a game that had it all, it was to be Fulham that emerged victorious in this FA Cup 3rd round replay, moving into the 4th round after a dramatic penalty shoot-out.

If the original tie had gone down in the history books as one not too remember, then the small pocket of travelling Fulham fans will certainly recall the events of last night with fond memories.

With the game being played on the day it was announced that the Wolves legend Sir Jack Hayward had passed away, aged 91, it was sad to see just over 8,000 come through the Moulineux turnstiles, although with very inclement weather playing a par tin proceedings then perhaps the comfort of a warm night in front of the television swayed persuaded a few people to stay at home.

Fulham going into this game on the back of three straight defeats and having not scored a goal since 20th December, took a mere twenty-six minutes to take the lead when Woodrow netted. The Cottagers entered the half time break having been, probably, the better side against a slightly subdued Wolves team.

However, Wolves emerged in better fighting spirit after the break and buoyed by a couple of substitutions took the game to Fulham. At times our goal appeared to live a charmed life with the woodwork coming to our rescue on a couple of occasions, but, in the seventy-first minute one of those two half-time subs, Edwards, equalized.

Our hosts were now on top and two minutes later Wolves were ahead when Van La Parra netted, Fulham now had it all to d to get back into this tie.

But, whereas in the past heads might have dropped, Fulham were up to the task and were only behind for three minutes, when Woodrow scored his second of the night tapping in from close range.

Extra time beckoned and in the second period Fulham fell behind again when Edwards scored his second of the night in the 109th minute. Fulham were really up against it now as a cup exit stared them in the face but just all looked lost as extra time entered the last minute Fulham were awarded a penalty when Lee was adjudged to have handled.

McCormack duly stepped up and slotted home the spot-kick to take the game to a penalty shoot-out. With nerves jangling, all five of the penalty-takers kept their nerve with Hugo Raodallega stroking home the winning spot-lick after one of the home side had fluffed an earlier one.

Next stop for Fulham is Sunderland in round four.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=384312#ixzz3OowggrlR

WhiteJC

Black Cats Set To Take On Fulham In Cup

After last night's FA Cup replays, it has been established that Sunderland will now take on Fulham in round four of the competition.

The cottagers managed to scrape over the line at Molineux after the sides were level after extra time, Fulham won the penalty shoot-out.

The game will take place on Saturday 24th January, kick-off time will be 15:00.

Tickets are on sale now, priced at £15 for adults and £5 for under 16s and over 65s.

For more details on the game and ticketing, please refer to the club's Official website.

Read more: http://www.sunderland.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=384318#ixzz3OowuvWb8

WhiteJC

FA Cup: Wolves 3-3 Fulham (3-5 penalties)

Hugo Rodallega's penalty earns Fulham an FA Cup shootout win over Wolves on a freezing cold night at Molineux, which deteriorated into a fierce snowstorm in extra time.

Cauley Woodrow gave Fulham the lead, before Dave Edwards and Rajiv van La Parra made it 2-1 to Wolves, but Woodrow's second forced extra time.

Edwards gave Wolves an extra-time lead, but Ross McCormack's last-minute penalty took the tie to spot kicks.

Fulham converted all five in the shootout to secure a fourth-round trip to Sunderland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30817892

WhiteJC

FA Cup Progression For Smith

Matt Smith played 88 minutes of Bristol City's 2-0 win over Doncaster Rovers in the FA Cup on Tuesday evening.

After a 1-1 draw in Doncaster – in which Smith netted the visitors' equalising goal – a Third Round Replay was needed and City went in front at Ashton Gate on 36 minutes.

Smith was twice thwarted from a corner as his header and then volley were parried by visiting goalkeeper Marko Marosi, but Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was on hand to bundle the ball into the net.

And the former Arsenal trainee sewed the tie up with his second of the night on 79 minutes when he finished off a slick counter attack with a neat finish.

The Robins will now host West Ham United in the Fourth Round.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/14/fa-cup-progression-for-smith?

WhiteJC

BOGOF Celebration Offer

Tuesday's hard fought victory over Wolves in the Third Round Replay of the FA Cup will hopefully be a catalyst for the two upcoming Sky Bet Championship home games at Craven Cottage.

Kit Symons' side showed plenty of heart and refused to give up against Wolves after twice falling behind, while young forward Cauley Woodrow scored twice and will want to continue that form on Saturday when the Whites entertain Reading.

To celebrate the win, fulhamdirect has decided to continue that positive theme and is offering Buy One Get One Free on our adidas Home and Away Replica Shirts. Simply add two shirts to your basket and get the cheapest FREE!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/14/bogof-celebration-offer?

WhiteJC

Subsidised Sunderland Travel

The Club is pleased to announce that we will be subsidising coach travel for fans attending our FA Cup Fourth Round match at Sunderland on Saturday 24th January (3pm).

We want as many supporters as possible cheering on Kit and the boys at the Stadium of Light, and so return coach places are available for just £10 for the match.

Furthermore, as a thank you to the ardent supporters who braved the arctic conditions to take in the Whites' thrilling penalty shoot-out victory in the previous round, we are offering FREE coach travel to all fans who were in attendance at Molineux.

Supporters must call the Ticket Office to book their free coach travel, and at the time of booking state that they attended the Wolves Third Round FA Cup Replay. The Ticket Office will then check the supporter's purchase history details before processing the free travel.

Please note that this offer can only be redeemed by the purchaser of tickets to Wolves v Fulham and travel requests cannot exceed the number of tickets that were purchased for Wolves v Fulham.

Match tickets for the game are priced at just £15 for adults and £5 for concessions, and go on sale from 10am on Thursday 15th January.

*Coaches depart from Craven Cottage at 6.45am and from Motspur Park at 6.30am.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/14/subsidised-sunderland-travel?

WhiteJC

That Woodrow Brace

Last night, against Wolverhampton Wanderers at Moulineux, Kit Symons was brave with his team selection.

Bringing in Woodrow and Dembele brought a youthfulness to the front line and the boss was repaid with Fulham easing into the 4th round courtesy of a 5-3 win in a penalty shoot-out after the game ended 3-3 after extra-time.

One of those two aforementioned youngsters, Cauley Woodrow, proved that Symons had done his homework by netting twice.

Those two goals, incidentally, match his total in his previous seventeen games, in all competitions this season.

A sign of things to come from Cauley, hopefully!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=384351#ixzz3Op3KthMx

WhiteJC

Ruiz Departure Rumours Gather Momentum

Although we`re still basking in the glory of our wonderful victory in the snow last night and looking towards pulling off a giant-killing in the 4th round when we take on Sunderland, one of our current squad may not be around to take part.

Once again rumours are rife that Bryan Ruiz is set to be offloaded this month with Fulham wanting to get his reported £45,000 a week wages off of the accounts.

The Costa Rican, who impressed during the 2014 World Cup, has made no secret of his desire to leave and it now appears that La Liga could be his destination with Valencia said to be hovering ready to snap him up.

We`ll do our best to keep you updated.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=384356#ixzz3OsBH9WhV

WhiteJC

La Liga outfit Valencia target move for Championship midfielder

Fulham's Costa Rican midfielder Bryan Ruiz is a target for Spanish La Liga side Valencia in the January transfer window, according to Vital Football.

Ruiz, who is currently on wages reported to be around £45k a week, is set to be made available for transfer in order to remove some of the strain on the side's wage bill.

Valencia have the financial capability to sign the player are interested in making a bid for the player.

Manager Kit Symons previously told Get West London that: "There's not been an offer as such, but interest, and I expect there to be interest in a lot of our players, because if not it means we've got a lot of players nobody wants. Bryan's situation was made quite definite to me when I first took over, and he is possibly looking to move on. If it came about we would sit down and discuss it, but he is a player we have an option to add on an extra year (to his contract)."

Ruiz spent a bulk of last season on loan in the Dutch top flight with PSV Eindhoven where he made 14 appearances for the side. He has been at Fulham since 2011, and in the process has made a total 77 appearances and has scored 11 goals.

Many supporters feel however his high wages aren't proportional to the inconsistency of the enigmatic midfielder's performances.

Fulham have been reasonably quiet in the transfer window so far with the addition of Regan Poole from League Two side Newport County being their only confirmed rumour so far.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/la-liga-outfit-valencia-target-move-for-championship-midfielder/?