more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (20/01/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 19, 2015, 07:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Under-21s report: Chelsea 2 Fulham 2

Our Under-21s continued their unbeaten start to the season and moved up to second in the league table after a draw at Aldershot's Electrical Services Stadium this afternoon (Saturday).

A third-minute header from Izzy Brown gave the hosts an early lead before Jordan Houghton doubled the advantage shortly after the restart with a close-range finish.

However, the young Cottagers halved the deficit three minutes later through Thomas Eisfeld and the German Under-20 international earned his side a league point with a very good volley eight minutes from time,

TEAM NEWS

There were four changes from the side that drew 1-1 at Leicester City in the Under-21s' last league outing three weeks ago as Andreas Christensen and 16-year-old Jay Dasilva came into the defence alongside Alex Davey and Todd Kane, with schoolboy Dasilva making his Under-21 debut. Mitchell Beeney remained in goal, while Charly Musonda and Charlie Colkett returned to the side further up the field.

Brown led the line up front, supported by Musonda, Colkett and Jeremie Boga, while captain Houghton and Ruben Loftus-Cheek anchored in central midfield.

Eight of the Chelsea starters featured in last season's triumphant FA Youth Cup final against the Cottagers, with Colkett, Houghton, Musonda and Dasilva on the scoresheet in the two-legged tie, while Fulham involved two players from the final in goalkeeper Marek Rodak and defender Jordan Evans.

FIRST HALF

The young Blues were looking for a bright start against their west London rivals and, following a passage of good early play in possession, Adi Viveash's side grabbed the lead inside three minutes. Patient build-up play fashioned some time and space for Loftus-Cheek and the midfielder, following three goals in three games with the England Under-19s during the recent international break, fancied his chances from range. His thundering strike beat Marek Rodak in the Fulham goal but rattled the crossbar, however Brown was on hand to cleverly nod in the rebound for his second goal in as many games.
Under-21s v Fulham

The early lead encouraged the hosts to remain patient in their attacking play and another bright move almost reaped rewards as Brown slid in Kane down the right flank, though the defender's dangerous low centre across the face of goal was just in front of the lurking attackers.

Rodak remained the busier of the goalkeepers and denied Boga twice in quick succession after 20 minutes, spreading himself to deny the young Frenchman from close range, and watching a swerving effort from range closely before relying on the alertness of defender Joshua Passley to thwart Brown on the rebound. Rodak saved from Brown and twice more from Boga, however Fulham grew into the contest and enjoyed their best spell late in the half.

A series of aerial deliveries brought some work for Christensen and Davey before Marcello Trotta ought to have levelled the scores from close range. A corner from the left caused problems and, after a few shots and close-range blocks, the loose ball fell to the forward, however the Italy Under-21 international sliced his shot off target.

SECOND HALF

The Blues started the second period similarly to the first and managed to double their advantage after 53 minutes. Dasilva advanced down the left and delivered a wicked cross that caused Rodak problems, with Houghton reacting quickest to poke in the loose ball from a couple of yards out to net his first goal of the campaign.

However, Chelsea's two-goal cushion lasted for just three minutes as the visitors broke quickly. Beeney came out and saved excellently from Ange-Freddy Plumain, though Eisfeld was in support and stroked the rebound beyond a stranded Beeney to make it 2-1.

The dynamics of the game shifted slightly with that goal and the hosts were forced to sit a little deeper and defend at times. Plumain had a great chance as a cross from the left was floated in dangerously, however missed his cue when positioned well. Substitute Alex Kiwomya had an immediate impact as he brought a good low save from Rodak following a clever pass from Loftus-Cheek on the right.

Rodak's efforts and the hosts' missed chances kept the Cottagers alive in the contest and they levelled the scores after 82 minutes as Eisfeld grabbed his second goal of the afternoon with a brilliant volley from outside the box that flew past Beeney and nestled into the bottom corner.

The final exchanges were balanced delicately, however neither side could create any further clear-cut opportunities and both had to settle for a share of the league points.
Under-21s v Fulham

Next up for Viveash's Under-21s is a trip to Tottenham on Monday 27 October, while our Under-19 side are in UEFA Youth League action this coming week as they face Maribor at Cobham on Tuesday 21 October.

MANAGER REACTION

Viveash reflected after the game with mixed feelings about a hard-fought point won but a two-goal lead surrendered. Speaking to the official Chelsea website, he said: 'There were three facets of the game today; firstly, we started really well in the opening 20 minutes and scored a very good goal.

'It would have been fitting had Ruben's strike gone in but Izzy was alive to the rebound. We had three good opportunities after that which we didn't take and then we spoke at half-time about trying to keep a clean sheet, though it's natural that when players are tired they start to switch off a little bit.

'We got the second goal but didn't keep that lead for long enough. I think we would have managed the game better had we kept it at 2-0 for another 10 minutes but then the second key moment is our defending for Fulham's first goal, which was poor from us. Their experience showed in the last 20 minutes but the third key point is Kiwomya's chance one-on-one with the keeper. He made a good save with his leg but that could have been 3-1 for us.

'We've had Musonda, Boga and Brown with disrupted training programmes this week. It's a great credit to those three players to get through the minutes they did and for Ruben to play another 90 minutes after three games in five days with England is a big plus.

'Fankaty Dabo was ill in the warm-up so we put Jay Dasilva in and that's a great experience for a 16-year-old to come into a tough Under-21 game. He did tremendously well; he's a fine player who I think a lot of. I played him in the Youth Cup final last season as a schoolboy and this is the level he needs to be at but it's tough stepping up.'

On the subject of stepping up, Viveash finished off by discussing Dominic Solanke's involvement with the first team squad, a promotion that left him unavailable for the Under-21s this weekend.

'At 2-0 up it's always disappointing to give that away. However, that disappointment will last about 10 minutes today because ultimately we have a 17-year-old on the bench with Chelsea's first team.

'That's a reflection on everybody in the Academy and all their hard work and we hope Dominic is the first of many. It is a day for him and his family to be very proud because they've all put in a lot of work to get him where is.'

Chelsea Mitchell Beeney; Todd Kane, Alex Davey, Andreas Christensen, Jay Dasilva; Jordan Houghton (c), Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Charly Musonda (Alex Kiwomya 69), Jeremie Boga, Charlie Colkett (Kasey Palmer 64), Izzy Brown (Ola Aina 83)
Unused subs Billy Granger, Fankaty Dabo
Scorers Brown 3, Houghton 53
Booked Loftus-Cheek

Fulham Marek Rodak, Joshua Passley, Jordan Evans, Mananga Jonathan Buatu, Stephen Arthurworrey, Mark Fotheringham, Thomas Eisfeld, Lyle Della Verde, Cauley Woodrow (Solomon Sambou h/t), Ange Freddy Plumain, Marcello Trotta
Unused subs Dillion Barnes, Noe Baba, Joshua Smile
Scorer Eisfeld 56, 82
Booked Della Vella Verde

Attendance 393

By Sam Poplett

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2014/10/under-21-report--chelsea-2-fulham-2.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss had words with player to make sure his head was right

Life of Bryan still centred on Whites, claims Kit

Committed: Bryan Ruiz
Kit Symons had a word with Bryan Ruiz to check whether the Fulham midfielder was up for the fight before the 2-1 win over Reading.

The World Cup international is hoping for a move, loan or permanent in the transfer window - and his manager agreed it was worth a chat to see if the Costa Rican might be distracted.

The gaffer explained: "I had a chat with Bryan and found he wants to be part of the team. I spoke to him to make sure his mind was clear and he was pretty focused.

"I've always had a good relationship with Bryan and been forthright and honest. He's always been the same. If anything arises from either side that makes it different, we'll speak about and find the best solution."

Ruiz had hoped a top-flight side in Europe would release him from the chore of the Championship in August, but sides like Werder Bremen, Olympiakos and Ajax were put off by the midfielder's £4million price tag and £45,000-a-week wages.

If Fulham can't broker a deal, the 29-year-old walks away for free in the summer at the end of this four-year contract.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-words-player-make-8469472?

WhiteJC

Tickets: Fulham (A)

Around 800 tickets remain for Nottingham Forest's trip to Fulham on Wednesday night (kick-off 7.45pm).
Tickets can no longer be posted out. Fulham will accept a maximum of 100 on-the-day collections from the Stevenage Road box office at Craven Cottage, although this limit has now been reached.

Fans must now make their collections from the Nottingham Forest ticket office. Tickets will be available on the day at Craven Cottage, however a £5 price increase will be applied across all age categories.

Tickets will remain on sale at the Forest ticket office in-person, online and via the booking line until 12pm on Wednesday 21 January.

Nottingham Forest have received an initial allocation of 1,795 tickets located behind the goal in the Putney End and these are priced as follows:

General admission

Adults - £25
Seniors (65 years of age and above) - £20
Under 21s - £20
Under 16s - £15

Restricted view tickets

Adults - £23
Seniors (65 years of age and above) - £18
Under 21s - £18
Under 16s - £13

Ticket purchases are limited to one per client reference number. It is essential supporters provide their client reference number when purchasing away tickets. Each away ticket bought via the Forest ticket office will be allocated one loyalty point. Points may be required to purchase tickets for high-demand fixtures.

Tickets can be purchased in-store at the ticket office, online at tickets.nottinghamforest.co.uk or by calling 0115 982 4388.

Disabled supporters

In line with the ticketing policy of Fulham FC, tickets for supporters with a disability and personal assistants are available to supporters who receive any rate of disability living allowance for either care or mobility. Both wheelchair users and ambulant disabled supporters should purchase tickets in advance from Nottingham Forest. There are five wheelchair bays available for Forest supporters while tickets for ambulant disabled supporters will be issued from the main allocation.

Prices for supporters applying for wheelchair/ambulant disabled tickets:

Adults - £12.50
Seniors (65 years of age and above) - £10
Under 21s - £10
Under 16s - £7.50

Official coach travel

Coach travel is priced at £17 and departs the Brian Clough Stand car park at 2.45pm.

Read more at http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/article/fulham-v-nottingham-forest-ticket-news-2185136.aspx#muk4Rcy7wXIfzeBZ.99

WhiteJC

REPORT: FULHAM 1-1 U18s

U18s boss proud of young Canaries after Fulham tie

AN extremely youthful Norwich City Under-18s side produced an excellent performance on Saturday as they drew 1-1 with a vastly more experienced Fulham at Motspur Park.

The Canaries handed starts to five players eligible at Under-16s level, with Under-15s representative Glen Middleton also coming off the bench in the closing stages.

City were the better side for much of the contest against a physical Fulham outfit, and could consider themselves unfortunate not to win after creating numerous chances across the 90 minutes.

The Cottagers tested the defensive resolve of Jerry Gill's young team with a direct approach during the early stages, but were reduced to half-chances in a competitive first half played at a high-tempo.

However, the hosts took the lead almost immediately after the restart when Tayo Edun rounded off a tidy team move involving Luca De La Torre and Aaron Redford with an emphatic finish.

To go behind so early in the second period seemed likely to provide a clear measure of City's character, but they showed their collective mental strength to level within a minute.

Good work on the byline from Louis McIntosh gave the forward time to place a cut-back into the path of George Couzens, who confidently struck a left-footed effort first-time beyond the goalkeeper to bring his team level.

Buoyed by that goal, the Canaries quickly moved to establish themselves as the dominant force in the game, and had two firm calls for penalties waved away by the officials.

They continued to put significant pressure on the Fulham goal in search of all three points, and were only denied what would have been a deserved victory by the woodwork as McIntosh's attempt came off the post.

Speaking after the game, manager Gill outlined his pride at the display as he told canaries.co.uk: "It's not just the result, but the performance.

"We were fantastic, and the lads carried out the work on what we wanted to do really well. It was a really good football match against an older team in Fulham, and to have five Under-16s make their debuts is a really positive sign for future development of next year's youth team.

"They were physically able to go and press Fulham, but also had the technical ability to make things happen when we did win the ball back."

The involvement of so many young players was particularly pleasing for the academy coach, who added: "It's a real positive for the Club to have youngsters fielded in the Under-18s, and to have them performing really well.

"Most of the second-year scholars have stepped up into Paul Wilkinson's Under-21s group, which allows me to play the younger boys. It's a pathway through, and the way we do things here.

"Results haven't been great, but it's not what we're after. As a coach, it's nice when you've seen the week go well for the lads, and for them to then go and carry out their objective on a Saturday."

FULL-TIME: Fulham 1-1 Norwich City

NORWICH CITY: Oxborough (GK); Wallis (Sambu, 80), Crowe, Ellesley (Boateng, 67), Lewis; Pollock; Black, Aransibia; Cantwell; Couzens, McIntosh (Middleton, 87).

Read more at http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/fulham-norwich-city-u18s-report-2212702.aspx#0FFwVDy7FYklkHDj.99

WhiteJC

Parker Pleased As Punch

Scott Parker hailed Fulham's character as his side came out on top of Saturday's evenly matched encounter with Reading.

There was very little between the sides at Craven Cottage but the Whites' failure to settle for a point eventually paid dividends as Bryan Ruiz netted with a classy header in the third minute of stoppage time at the end of the game.

It brought a welcome end to our run of Sky Bet Championship matches without a win, much to the delight of the Fulham Captain.

"It was very important and I think you could see by our reactions after that it was a massive win for us," Parker told the official website. "The game was a little bit flat first half but then second half we drove on and managed to score the goal.

"Then obviously they're going to come at us, like they did, and put us under pressure. They got their goal, so it was difficult, but earlier on in the season that's the sort of character we wanted and I think we showed that on Saturday, which is pleasing.

"We drove on towards the end. I know they were coming at us, too, and it was a bit like a boxing match – someone was going to deliver the sucker punch and thankfully it was us."

It wasn't the Whites' strongest performance of the season and Manager Kit Symons admitted after the match that Reading will have felt aggrieved at losing the contest, but the experienced Parker stressed that grafting out results is crucial in this division.

"I think a lot of games this year are going to be like that," he said. "It's going to be nip and tuck and there's going to be crucial moments and you need to grind it out.

"We've said all year that you need to grind out results and we certainly did that against Reading, which was good."

The 2-1 win over the Royals concluded a positive week for Fulham, following up our thrilling penalty shoot-out triumph in the FA Cup over Wolverhampton Wanderers on Tuesday.

And with little time for respite as the Whites prepare to take on Nottingham Forest this Wednesday, Parker is keen to keep the momentum going against Stuart Pearce's side.

He stated: "First half against Wolves I thought was probably the best we'd played all year, I thought we were fantastic.

"Then on Saturday, we'd played extra-time just a few days earlier, so it was difficult but I think the one thing that comes out of it is the character we showed to get the result.

"We need to recover now, rest up a little bit because we've had a few hard games. So we'll rest up quickly and go into the Forest game and hopefully we can carry on from a great week by grabbing a third straight win."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/19/parker-pleased-as-punch?

WhiteJC

Seko Fofana: Fulham extend Manchester City man's loan spell

Fulham have extended Seko Fofana's loan spell from Manchester City until the end of the season.

The 19-year-old midfielder has made 10 appearances since arriving at Craven Cottage in the summer.

"I'm delighted to be prolonging my stay and I want to continue to help the team win as many games as possible," he told Fulham's website.

"I have enjoyed my time here so much and gained a lot of experience of playing first-team football."

France youth international Fofana joined City from French side FC Lorient last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30888095

WhiteJC

Fulham to let striker decide over Bristol City stay

Smith set for chat with Symons on extending loan

Fulham will let Matt Smith decide whether he wants to stay at Bristol City on loan - or return to Fulham.

The 6ft 6ins striker has been standing tall at Ashton Gate since he arrived there at the end of November with nine goals in 11 games, as well as winning a converted penalty in the 2-0 win at Scunthorpe on Saturday.

The Whites have been on the hunt for a striker in the transfer window, but manager Kit Symons intends to have a heart to heart with the man bought from Leeds in the hope of rekindling a scoring partnership with Ross McCormack.

The gaffer said: "I've been in contact with Matt and glad that he's doing so well. I will speak further to Matt and see where his thoughts are and we'll make a decision."

Smith admits he's had a welcome jolt since donning City red after a horrendous start to his Fulham career. He got shown a different sort of red on his debut after just 17 minutes in the 3-0 defeat to Reading in September.

However, everything is ship-shape and Bristol fashion with the forward hoping to hang around.

He said: "I'm really enjoying it here and everyone has been fantastic since I signed. The goals have given me confidence and you just want to keep playing.

"I'm keen to stay but Fulham are my employers so first and foremost I want to do well for them."

Symons saw Smith banging four in against Gillingham at the beginning of the month, and then told him off for not scoring six.

"I went to watch him against Gillingham and let him know I was coming," the manager added. "Texted him the next morning and told him he should have had six.

"He's our player, and his stock's rising. We're very mindful of that, and that why I went and saw him."

Have a look at Smith's four at Gillingham. Goals two, three and four are somewhat special.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-striker-decide-over-bristol-8474214?

WhiteJC

Another Win For Hyndman

Emerson Hyndman played 85 minutes as United States Under-20s defeated Jamaica 2-0 in the CONCACAF U20 Championship on Sunday.

The Fulham midfielder had the game's first chance when the ball fell to him in the area, but his effort was well blocked by Malcolm Stewart, before he was denied again after 14 minutes when his goalbound strike from 18 yards was saved by Jamaican goalkeeper Nicholas Nelson.

The States did take the lead, though, on 34 minutes when Tommy Thompson was fouled in the penalty area and Romain Gall tucked away the resultant spot-kick.

And the American striker was on hand again from 12 yards with 20 minutes remaining to settle the game, after Bradford Jamieson was taken down by Nelson in the box.

Hyndman made way for Junior Flores with five minutes remaining of the game, as the United States went third in Group A.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/19/another-win-for-hyndman?

WhiteJC

Sunderland Travel Info

Supporters attending this Saturday's FA Cup match at the Stadium of Light are advised that there are no fast trains back to London after the game.

The Club is offering subsidised coach travel to the game, though, with fans able to secure a return seat for just £10.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/19/sunderland-travel-info?

WhiteJC

Seko's Loan Extension

The Club is delighted to confirm that Seko Fofana's loan deal from Manchester City has been extended until the end of the season.

The 19-year-old midfielder has made 10 appearances for Fulham since initially joining in November, and he'll now remain with Kit Symons' squad for the duration of 2014/15.

Speaking to the official website, Fofana stated: "I'm delighted to be prolonging my stay at Fulham and I want to continue to help the team win as many games as possible.

"I have enjoyed my time here so much and gained a lot of experience of playing first team football in the Championship.

"I thank Manchester City for allowing me to extend my stay here and Kit Symons who has shown a lot of faith in me.

"I also would like to thank my teammates who have made my integration into the First Team easier and our supporters who have shown me a lot of affection since I joined."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/19/sekos-loan-extension?

WhiteJC

Kacaniklic Praise for Ruiz

Although it is very unlikely that Bryan Ruiz will remain a Fulham player past the summer and might even leave us this transfer window, we have to give full marks to the Costa Rican for the manner in which he continues to conduct himself.

On Saturday, in the home game against Reading, it was Ruiz that notched the winner in injury time, with a header.

Although he has only scored 13 goals in 93 games that goal was crucial as it gave us the three points needed for us to hang on in there with regards to a possible play-off place, if we can mount a late surge.

Following the game, Alex Kacaniklic spoke about Bryan`s contribution, remarking,

"I`m happy for Bryan, he came on and scored a goal and the most important thing is that we won.

"He`s only got six months left on his contract, so he is always going to be linked with other clubs.

"He`s a good player and he showed it at the World Cup, so I`m not surprised. It`s up to him, of course we want to keep good players here."

Unfortunately, the salary Ruiz is on makes it unviable to keep him it would appear.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=385080#ixzz3PIeeq5jT

WhiteJC

Scotland eyeing Arfield and Grimmer

Scott Arfield and Jack Grimmer have played themselves into Scotland contention, according to Mark McGhee.

Gordon Strachan's assistant has already watched 26-year-old Arfield, a Scotland B cap, in the Premiership with Burnley.

He will have a look at 20-year-old former Aberdeen defender Grimmer, who has played for Scotland Under-21s, in Fulham's Championship clash with Nottingham Forest at Craven Cottage on Wednesday night.

Scotland's next European Championship qualifier is against Gibraltar at Hampden Park on March 29, days after a warm-up friendly against Northern Ireland.

McGhee will make sure Strachan is abreast of all the form players before he names his squad although he admits the current incumbents will take some shifting.

The former Aberdeen and Motherwell manager told Press Association Sport: "On Wednesday night I am going to look at Jack Grimmer, who has now got himself into the Fulham team at right back, to see how he is doing and I have been a couple of times recently to watch Scott Arfield at Burnley.

"These are boys who are getting good reviews down the road and who therefore deserve consideration.

"Now what they have to do is displace people who are already there.

"One of the most difficult jobs is for the likes of Scott Arfield .

"In the middle of the park we have Scott Brown, Charlie Mulgrew, James Morrison and James McArthur, a group in our strongest area of the team so he has to get in ahead of them.

"And even if you play him in a wider role where he plays a lot for Burnley, you then have the likes of Graham Dorrans who is doing well for his club.

"He has to get ahead of them but we will do our due diligence and when Gordon starts to finalise his squad we will be considering what we have seen up until then, to know if we will bring them in or not."

It is almost two years since Strachan and McGhee took charge of Scotland for the first time, after replacing Craig Levein who had taken just two points from four 2014 World Cup qualifiers.

After a 1-0 friendly win over Estonia at Pittodrie, the 2-1 defeat by Wales at Hampden Park and a 2-0 loss in Serbia confirmed that the Scots would not be going to Brazil.

The former Aberdeen and Motherwell boss admits he and Strachan were left "gutted" following the game against the Serbs.

However, he insists those defeats proved a pivotal point in their thinking, with the subsequent improvement in performances resulting in Scotland sitting third in Euro qualifying Group D behind Poland and Germany, as the halfway point of the qualification process looms.

McGhee said: "After the Wales and Serbia games we were gutted. I don't think we actually said the word but I am pretty sure Gordon thought the same as me.

"We went into those two games thinking if we could win them then we might still be in with a shout (of qualifying) but we lost them badly, albeit we feel the Wales game was there to be won until Snoddy (Robert Snodgrass) got sent off.

"The fact was we lost it and against Serbia we got gubbed.

"It was a terrible night. I remember talking to Gordon about style and sophistication and how with these teams, their movement is so much varied, exciting and dynamic than we see our teams play.

"Gordon and I were determined from that point to bring a more sophisticated style.

"One of the things that has pleased more than anything about the development over that period after the Serbia game is that we have established a style of play.

"From game to game we will play it better or worse but it will look the same although within that there will be innovation.

"So I do think Gordon has brought the team on the point where, if nothing else, we have established a way of playing and that is something to build on."

Copyright PA Sport 2015, All Rights Reserved

http://www.brechinadvertiser.co.uk/news/scotland-eyeing-arfield-and-grimmer-1-3666048

WhiteJC

McGhee: Arfield and Grimmer have played themselves into contention for Scotland

Scott Arfield and Jack Grimmer have played themselves into Scotland contention, according to Mark McGhee.

Gordon Strachan's assistant has already watched 26-year-old Arfield, a Scotland B cap, in the Premiership with Burnley.

He will have a look at 20-year-old former Aberdeen defender Grimmer, who has played for Scotland Under-21s, in Fulham's Championship clash with Nottingham Forest at Craven Cottage on Wednesday night.

Scotland's next European Championship qualifier is against Gibraltar at Hampden Park on March 29, days after a warm-up friendly against Northern Ireland.

McGhee will make sure Strachan is abreast of all the form players before he names his squad although he admits the current incumbents will take some shifting.

The former Aberdeen and Motherwell manager said: "On Wednesday night I am going to look at Jack Grimmer, who has now got himself into the Fulham team at right back, to see how he is doing and I have been a couple of times recently to watch Scott Arfield at Burnley.

"These are boys who are getting good reviews down the road and who therefore deserve consideration.

"Now what they have to do is displace people who are already there.

"One of the most difficult jobs is for the likes of Scott Arfield .

"In the middle of the park we have Scott Brown, Charlie Mulgrew, James Morrison and James McArthur, a group in our strongest area of the team so he has to get in ahead of them.

"And even if you play him in a wider role where he plays a lot for Burnley, you then have the likes of Graham Dorrans who is doing well for his club.

"He has to get ahead of them but we will do our due diligence and when Gordon starts to finalise his squad we will be considering what we have seen up until then, to know if we will bring them in or not."

It is almost two years since Strachan and McGhee took charge of Scotland for the first time, after replacing Craig Levein who had taken just two points from four 2014 World Cup qualifiers.

After a 1-0 friendly win over Estonia at Pittodrie, the 2-1 defeat by Wales at Hampden Park and a 2-0 loss in Serbia confirmed that the Scots would not be going to Brazil.

The former Aberdeen and Motherwell boss admits he and Strachan were left "gutted" following the game against the Serbs.

However, he insists those defeats proved a pivotal point in their thinking, with the subsequent improvement in performances resulting in Scotland sitting third in Euro qualifying Group D behind Poland and Germany, as the halfway point of the qualification process looms.

McGhee said: "After the Wales and Serbia games we were gutted. I don't think we actually said the word but I am pretty sure Gordon thought the same as me.

"We went into those two games thinking if we could win them then we might still be in with a shout (of qualifying) but we lost them badly, albeit we feel the Wales game was there to be won until Snoddy (Robert Snodgrass) got sent off.

"The fact was we lost it and against Serbia we got gubbed.

"It was a terrible night. I remember talking to Gordon about style and sophistication and how with these teams, their movement is so much varied, exciting and dynamic than we see our teams play.

"Gordon and I were determined from that point to bring a more sophisticated style.

"One of the things that has pleased more than anything about the development over that period after the Serbia game is that we have established a style of play.

"From game to game we will play it better or worse but it will look the same although within that there will be innovation.

"So I do think Gordon has brought the team on the point where, if nothing else, we have established a way of playing and that is something to build on."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/other-football/mcghee-arfield-and-grimmer-have-played-themselves-into-contention-for-scotland.1421694942?

WhiteJC

Sunderland AFC v Fulham FC: Who is the referee?

Anthony Taylor will referee the Black Cats' FA Cup fourth round tie against Fulham at the Stadium of Light this weekend

Referee Anthony Taylor
Anthony Taylor (Cheshire)

Cheshire official Taylor will take charge of Sunderland for the third time this season, having previously refereed the Black Cats' Tyne-Wear derby win last month and the goalless draw at Burnley back in September.

So far this season, he has 85 yellow cards and three reds in 20 games in all competitions.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-afc-v-fulham-fc-8476785?

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham vs. Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest will be hoping that Saturday's last-gasp victory in the East Midlands derby can propel them back up towards the Championship's playoff places as they prepare to face Fulham on Wednesday.

Stuart Pearce went bonkers on the sideline after seeing Ben Osborn's 92nd-minute strike crash into the Derby County net.

The 20-year-old's first senior goal couldn't have arrived at a better time as Forest ended a run of four straight defeats and picked up their first league win since November 22.

It also moved Pearce's side back into the top half, but they are still 10 points adrift of the playoffs after leading the way at the start of the season.

Fulham come into the match after having a very similar end to their match on Saturday.

The Cottagers were being held to a 1-1 draw by Reading when Bryan Ruiz headed home in the 90th minute to grab all three points for Kit Symons's men, who are 15th in the table and will go level on points with Forest if they win.

Alexander Kacaniklic opened the scoring on his first start since returning from a loan spell in Denmark and is likely to keep his place in the team for the visit of Forest.

The reverse fixture was a goalfest at the City Ground as Forest triumphed 5-3 - a result which saw the end of Felix Magath's reign at Craven Cottage.

Fulham:

Form in Championship: WWLLLW
Form in all competitions: LLDLWW

Possible starting lineup: Bettinelli; Grimmer, Hutchinson, Bodurov, Stafylidis; Fofana, Tunnicliffe, Parker, Kacaniklic; Rodallega, McCormack

Forest:

Form in Championship: DDLLLW
Form in all competitions: DLLLLW

Possible starting lineup: Darlow; Lichaj, Wilson, Hobbs, Kane; Antonio, Gardner, Tesche, Osborn; Lansbury; Assombalonga

Sports Mole says: 2-2

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/preview/preview-fulham-vs-forest_199962.html?

WhiteJC

FULHAM LINE UP V NOTTM FOREST – BACK TO A THREE MAN ATTACK?

Fulham got their first win three Championship games at the weekend and will be looking to build on that as they host Nottingham Forest on Wednesday evening.

We've made a couple of changes to the XI from the weekend, switching back to a three man attack as the Whites look to expose a Forest defence that has been rocky of late.

Our chosen XI have a fair amount of Championship experience, appearing in over 500 games with 103 goals scored and 60 conceded during that period.

Although Fulham had a tough time of finding the net over the Christmas period, this has certainly been rectified in the last two games in all competitions where they've scored five times.

Hugo Rodallega is currently the Whites top scorer in their last 20 league games with all eight of his strikes coming the Championship and 50% of these being openers.

Ross McCormack has also netted five times in the league, with Cauley Woodrow also finding his shooting boots recently with 50% of his four goals also coming in the Championship.

With that being said, it's hard to chose just one of the strikers to be a dead set bet with all three looking good for a flutter on Wednesday evening.

http://www.kickoff.co.uk/36658/fulham-line-up-v-nottm-forest-back-to-a-three-man-attack/?