watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Squad size, loans and the Parker problem

Started by YoungsBitter, January 22, 2015, 07:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungsBitter

I was worried how the loss of Parker last night effected our play and further concerned with him not being available for Sunderland and thinking about how Kit must be thinking about cover for him in the loan market. So I looked up who we have in the squad as possible cover and was intrigued to see that three of our first team squad starred in the U21s cup game - Eisfeld, David and Taggart. Both David and Eisfeld are 22. We also have Ryan Williams who is 21 but does not feature currently for the U21s having been on loan earlier this season with Oxford and Hyndeman who is away with the USA national U21s. We also have Fazlic, Chihi and Fotheringham from the Madgath era still in the first team squad.
So while I am hoping that we sign someone on loan to bring cover for Parker I am also amazed at how bloated the squad is. We are paying wages to a bunch of players that should be pushing for a role but cant even get on the bench - except Fotheringham who bizarrely was selected by Kit for the bench against Wolves. Its obvious that Kit has an issue with David and Eisfeld but at least they are still being developed in the U21s although both are older now, 4 years older than Hyndeman who Kit does like.
What are we planning to do with Williams and Fazlic as both could play for U21's yet dont? if not seen as worthwhile developing why not sell or loan them out, I am assuming Chihi and 'Fozzie' will be let go?
Does anyone know from Motspur if any of these guys even trains with the first team? Does Taggart, Casasola or Voser?
On one hand we have to be thoughtful about spending money, in the desire for 'sustainability', yet here we have 4 midfielders who can't even get a game with the Academy all drawing wages?
Quark, strangeness and charm

fulhamben

Quote from: YoungsBitter on January 22, 2015, 07:59:44 PM
I was worried how the loss of Parker last night effected our play and further concerned with him not being available for Sunderland and thinking about how Kit must be thinking about cover for him in the loan market. So I looked up who we have in the squad as possible cover and was intrigued to see that three of our first team squad starred in the U21s cup game - Eisfeld, David and Taggart. Both David and Eisfeld are 22. We also have Ryan Williams who is 21 but does not feature currently for the U21s having been on loan earlier this season with Oxford and Hyndeman who is away with the USA national U21s. We also have Fazlic, Chihi and Fotheringham from the Madgath era still in the first team squad.
So while I am hoping that we sign someone on loan to bring cover for Parker I am also amazed at how bloated the squad is. We are paying wages to a bunch of players that should be pushing for a role but cant even get on the bench - except Fotheringham who bizarrely was selected by Kit for the bench against Wolves. Its obvious that Kit has an issue with David and Eisfeld but at least they are still being developed in the U21s although both are older now, 4 years older than Hyndeman who Kit does like.
What are we planning to do with Williams and Fazlic as both could play for U21's yet dont? if not seen as worthwhile developing why not sell or loan them out, I am assuming Chihi and 'Fozzie' will be let go?
Does anyone know from Motspur if any of these guys even trains with the first team? Does Taggart, Casasola or Voser?
On one hand we have to be thoughtful about spending money, in the desire for 'sustainability', yet here we have 4 midfielders who can't even get a game with the Academy all drawing wages?
there wages combined will be less than half of parkers
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

YoungsBitter

I suppose I am really asking to let them go, if they will not ever feature for Kit why not cut them loose? If you add Voser to the list of untouchables we have 5, maybe 7 players who are just wasting their and our time.
Quark, strangeness and charm

fulhamben

Quote from: YoungsBitter on January 22, 2015, 08:07:54 PM
I suppose I am really asking to let them go, if they will not ever feature for Kit why not cut them loose? If you add Voser to the list of untouchables we have 5, maybe 7 players who are just wasting their and our time.
normally you would have an experienced core of players, and then call on the youth if you need them. We play the youth and call on the more experienced players if we get desperate. I'd get rid of vosser chihi and Roth though

fulhamben

Apprentice to the Maestro

The problem has been caused partly by, on the down side, Magath signing all those average players to build a large squad and partly, on the up side, because we have a flush of young players who have made a positive impact or are on the fringes.

The problem will be in off-loading those surplus to Kit's requirements. What is in it for them to move to a lower league or overseas for lower wages?

MJG

You can't just 'cut loose' really. They are all under contract and you can cancel a contract but need to pay up the full amount. So we save no money by doing that and the only reason a  player might agree to cancel is if his agent has another club sorted.
So in effect you are stuck with them. I'd say between maybe five of the ones Magath brought in and who are not playing, are costing us somewhere in the region of 20-40k per week between. Probably more towards the lower end of that figure.
When you consider we can only lose £8m this year you can see a million pounds just doing nothing to the wages figure.