more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (27/01/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 26, 2015, 06:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Bradford Await Winners

The winners of the FA Cup Fourth Round Replay between Fulham and Sunderland will face Bradford City at Valley Parade in the Fifth Round.

The Bantams secured their place in the next stage following one of the most famous Cup results in history as the Sky Bet League One side came from two goals down to defeat Chelsea 4-2 at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

After their goalless draw at the Stadium of Light at the weekend, Fulham and Sunderland will do battle again in the Replay on Tuesday 3rd February (7.45pm).

Fifth Round matches will be played on the weekend of 14/15th February.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/26/bradford-await-winners?

WhiteJC

Some Sunderland Musings
by LYDIA on JANUARY 26, 2015

The FA cup 4th round tie between Fulham and Sunderland gave many fans reasons for optimism. Fulham played a very good game and were disappointed not to win against the Premier League side. The players, many of which have never played against PL opposition, gave a very good account of themselves and will surely relish the prospect of facing them under lights at Craven Cottage next week. Overall the performance was good but I noticed a few things about some individuals and about our style of play.

The first man up for praise is right back Jack Grimmer. Some young players thrive when thrown in at the deep end while others struggle with the spotlight. I'm happy to say that the young Scotsman is definitely the former. In his first couple of games I wasn't sure about him but his display on Saturday was absolutely brilliant. He ran all game and followed his man everywhere. A couple of times when Sunderland threatened a quick counter attack, Grimmer absolutely busted his gut in an attempt to get back and slow down the attack. His commitment impressed me the most but he has certainly taken his chance very well and I'm confident that he will just keep improving.

I need to be careful when talking about Marcus Bettinelli because the last article I wrote singing his praises was the day before he got sent off and we lost 5-0. However, I feel that his performance on Saturday deserves a mention! Although we kept Sunderland at bay for most of the match, when you have a player like Defoe in your side, you are always going to be a threat. Our young keeper made a number of superb saves to keep us in the tie and his quick thinking to try and get us on the attack after gathering a cross ultimately caused the dismissal of Jack Rodwell. Obviously the aim is not to try and get other players sent off but it was clear that Rodwell was rattled by the youngsters quick decision making and panicked resulting in him illegally trying to prevent Bettinelli from starting an attack. It was positive play and I reckon Symons is making a point of getting the players to take free kicks and goal kicks quickly to catch the other team snoozing. It has been very frustrating in the Championship this season when Fulham have tried to play straight away from a foul and the referee has been having none of it. One thing that I would say about Bettinelli is that I think a couple of times he probably could have caught the ball rather than tipping it over for a corner, but all in all he is turning out to be a fantastic talent.

I really like the look of Ryan Tunnicliffe. He is another one who will work back, put in a good tackle and breakup play. He is also quite a safe player. Ruiz kept trying to do these fancy little flicks that weren't always working while Tunnicliffe was keen to find the safe pass. His vision is good so although a pass might be 'safe' he plays it early and can start a decent attack. I think he is the sort of player who will learn a lot under Parker and will be a similar type of player to him when he meets his full potential.

I found our style of play quite frustrating at times. We held the ball for much longer than Sunderland but too often we couldn't find the final ball. Fofana still has a lot of learning to do. At times he looks smashing, while at other times he just holds on to the ball and runs it straight into the defender. I would much rather that he made the pass every time, than tried to go on his own and score one wonder goal a season. If he sorts out his decision making then he could go very far. When he heads back to City he should learn a lot from Yaya Toure as he likes to do the same driving runs that we see so often from Toure. However, the final product hasn't been there yet so he still has a lot to learn.

There was a noticeable change in Fulham when Alex Kacaniklic came on in the 2nd half. It was the first time that a Fulham player really charged at the Sunderland defence with pace and, again, with better decision making in the final third, Fulham could have had a few more chances because of him. It looks like he has really benefited from his time out on loan and I reckon that he is going to be a key player for us in the 2nd half of the season. It's important that we kept hold of him this summer.

The final thing I noticed was that it seems that Kit Symons is getting better at his substitutions. When he first took over that was really the only criticism that people were making, that he was waiting far to long to change the team up. I thought that the subs on Saturday were all good ones and it looks like he is learning more every game. It's exciting to have a manager who really wants to be here for the long haul.

We played better than Sunderland on Saturday and with better decisions in the final 3rd we could have scored a few goals. Now lets not get ahead of ourselves, Sunderland are a struggling PL team, but it is encouraging to see our players really putting in a performance. More of the same will be needed when we face them next week, especially if they have the likes of Adam Johnston back from injury. If we progress we will have an exciting trip to Bradford to face the giant killers. It really could be the year for an exciting cup run for us!

#COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2015/01/some-sunderland-musings/?

WhiteJC

Everton U21 3-3 Fulham U21

Late Kenny goal secures a point for young Blues.

Everton twice came from behind to clinch a point against U21 Premier League middlers Fulham on a cold Monday evening at the Merseyrail Community Stadium.

The young Toffees had a torrid start as goals from Adam Taggart and Freddy-Ange Plumain put them in a hole inside 20 minutes.

But the home side responded thanks to a brilliant David Henen strike, and a Joe Williams header just before half time.

Fulham retook the lead in the second half as Buomesca Tue Na Bangna steered the ball past Mateusz Hewelt, but Everton pulled back level through Jonjoe Kenny.

Manager David Unsworth had named two changes to the side that defeated West Ham United in the last game, as Brendan Galloway and goalscorer Williams came in to replace Tyias Browning and Conor McAleny –both of whom travelled with the senior team to their training camp in Qatar.

The young Blues started off well, creating the first chance of the game as Henen's tricky run ended up with Fulham goalkeeper Magnus Norman pushing the ball out for a corner.

But the tide soon turned and it wasn't long before they found themselves behind. Fulham broke from an Everton corner and the ball found its way to Taggart, who made little mistake in dispatching the opener.

Fulham could easily have had their second just minutes later, as two Hewelt miskicks almost presented Fulham with clear sights at goal, but the Everton defence was alert on both occasions to get rid of the danger.

But the visitors kept knocking at the door and took advantage of some more farcical defending from the home side to double their advantage.

Midfielder Tom Richards received the ball in the centre of the park and took it forward before finding Plumain alone and unmarked on the left who slotted the ball past the goalkeeper for his fourth in three games.

With the momentum solely with Fulham, Everton needed something big to help them find a route back into the match, and they received just that courtesy of a fantastic 30-yard strike from on-loan Belgian Henen, whose effort gave the 'keeper no chance as it whistled into the top corner.

He then almost pulled his side back level, but he just missed Matthew Kennedy's low cross with his outstretched boot as it flashed across the face of goal.

Everton, visibly buoyed by Henen's goal continued to endeavour for the equaliser, and finally got it on the stroke of half time as Joe Williams' looping header from another Kennedy cross found its way into the Fulham goal.

Everton emerged for the second half with Ryan Ledson replacing Conor Grant, and the young midfielder soon found himself at the centre of the action.

With Jonathan Buatu on the ball, Ledson steamed in with a tough challenge which left the Fulham player screaming in pain. The Everton player appeared to win the ball, but Buatu was taken off after receiving medical attention from the team doctors.

Everton continued to push for a winner, but they were unable to turn a succession of corners into a goal as the Fulham defence managed to scramble clear.

The second 45 minutes was mostly dominated by the home side, but they would be undone by more poor defending, as Plumain was allowed to patrol the left wing before finding Mesca, who neatly curled the ball around Hewelt in the Everton goal to give the visitors back the lead.

But not to be outdone, Everton struck back just five minutes after Kenny steered substitute Kieran Dowell's across the line.

There was still time for late heroics but Everton's third substitute of the evening, George Green, saw his shot from the corner of the area whizz just past the post and out for a goal kick.

The draw helps Everton move into fifth keep pace with Tottenham Hotspur at the Barclays U21 Premier League's summit, while Fulham hop above Norwich and Leicester's under-21 teams into seventh.

Everton U21: Hewelt (GK), Jones, Connolly, Junior (Dowell, 80'), Galloway, Jenny, Williams, Grant (Ledson, 46'), Duffus, Henen, Kennedy (Green, 66') Subs: Hunt (GK), Ledson, Dowell, Green, Langton

Fulham U21: Norman, Baba, Evans, Sambou, Buatu (Della Verde, 55'), Passley, Mesca, Richards, Taggart (Edun, 75'), Williams, Plumain Subs: Barnes (GK), Della Verde, Edun, Redford, Humphrys

Man of the Match: David Henen

Referee: S Lucas

http://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2015/1/26/7917791/everton-u21-3-3-fulham-u21

WhiteJC

FA Cup draw: Bradford co-chairman issues warning to Sunderland and Fulham

Bradford co-chairman Mark Lawn does not think Sunderland or Fulham will fancy the trip to Valley Parade in the fifth round of the FA Cup.

Monday night's draw pitched Chelsea's unlikely conquerors into a home tie with either Gus Poyet's Premier League Black Cats or Kit Symons' Championship side, who are due to replay next week after a 0-0 draw on Saturday.

"We're at home, I think we can win at home," he told Sky Sports News. "They won't want to come down here and get this lot (the fans) bouncing. I don't think Sunderland or Fulham will want to come to Valley Parade."

City's 4-2 win at Chelsea - having been 2-0 down to the Premier League leaders - is already one of the cup's greatest upsets and another feather in the cap of manager Phil Parkinson.

The former Charlton boss oversaw Bradford's run to the League Cup final in 2013 and earlier this season took the scalp of Leeds in the same competition.

Lawn, though, is confident that his man will stay at the helm despite the interest he is likely to generate.

"He's got 18 months left to run and we don't want him to go anywhere," he added. "I think he's a bit rubbish, so all the other teams, keep your bloody hands off!"

City last faced Sunderland back in December 2003 where they lost 3-0 with a side containing the likes of Wayne Jacobs and Dean Windass. Their last meeting with Fulham came further back in 1994, a 0-0 draw.

Bradford were not the only side to cause a shock at the weekend, with Middlesbrough's 2-0 win at Manchester City equally worth of praise. Aitor Karanka's Championsip high-fliers will now head to holders Arsenal, who beat Brighton on Sunday.

League Two Cambridge, who held Manchester United to a home draw, head to Old Trafford next week with the winners headed for a clash with Sheffield United or Preston.

On Monday night Stoke won 4-1 at Rochdale to lay on a meeting with Blackburn, manager Mark Hughes' former club.

"It will be good to go back," said Hughes. "I have good memories of my time there and there are lots of people I know still there."

Hughes admitted the fear of an upset drove his side on and said: "I mentioned what happened to the players over the weekend before the match. It would have been foolish not to.

"There was a reason why the television cameras were here - people were hoping for an upset, but we didn't want to be a part of that."

Liverpool and Bolton will replay for the right to go to Crystal Palace, while Leicester and Aston Villa meet in a Midlands derby. West Brom face West Ham at home and Derby play host to Reading in an all-Championship affair to round off the draw.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/fa-cup-draw-bradford-cochairman-issues-warning-to-sunderland-and-fulham-10004560.html