News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How difficult will pushing for promotion be next season?

Started by Admin, February 01, 2015, 12:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Granted, it was never going to be achieved this season after the Felix car crash, but considering Hull, Leicester, QPR and maybe Burnely might be coming down, how do we prepare for next season, and what should our expectations really be?

No doubt QPR will throw money around once again, although I'm pretty sure they'll be hit with a 50 million quid fine, and transfer embargo? (Can someone clarify)

Pretty sure a few of our kids will be a bit more experienced come next season, but at the same time, I expect us to Make a couple of astute signings. This whole Mike Rigg appointment paints a bigger picture for me, especially as he doesn't start until March?

However, I honestly belive that the Club have written this season off, and think we have enough in the tank to see us through.

Craven Mad

It depends on whether we can hold onto our youngsters.

If they can build on their development this year, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect more from the team next year. Kit has - just about - got us into play-off form this season.

Keeping the best from this year, ditching the deadweight and investing a bit more in the summer, I could see a promotion push from us.

However, if we lose LVC, Ross or Betts, I'd worry - they're our key players across each area of the pitch.

MJG

Considering we are sixth on form over the 21 games in charge for Kit I believe we are not that far away from being right in the mix for next season.
Keep majority of kids, although I do think we will cash in on one during the summer,  and add 3-5 to replace the deadwood in the squad and I see the playoffs as a real possibility... As it should be. Top two would be hard and I think would require more of a change in the starting lineup,  as many as seven possibly, something I think would be a mistake.

Lighthouse

I doubt we will make those astute signings we need. Kids will improve, be sold on and we will continue to think about the next transfer window. But frankly who cares. We were in the Prem, we committed professional  090.gif and so I just try and enjoy each game.

Promotion may come but we need so much more to achieve it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

filham

No play offs for us this season but a lot of work to be done in staying out of the relegation zone while developing the team for next season, difficult to say how much progress we can make by May and how well we can do in the summer transfer market.

However at this moment all that has to be put on the back burner for a few days as our concentration should be 100% on Tuesday night's cup tie. There is the possibility of a cup run for us which could just salvage what is looking like a poor season.

Woolly Mammoth

At least the club knows where it stands, and we should be in the Championship next season. If that's the case, then the club has basically six months more or less to get it's act together, to prepare for next season.
So by their actions, we may find out how ambitious the Chairman and his Merry Men really are.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Burt

On the plus side, if you disregard the matches played when Felix was in charge, we would be in a play-off position (6th in the current form table).

On the minus side, we have not beaten any of the top teams this season and Kit's rebuilding work has really only just begun.

We've got a heck of a lot of talent in the first team now and they will only get better. If we hold on to them then I reckon next season will be a promising one.

RaySmith

Quote from: Burt on February 01, 2015, 01:44:54 PM
On the plus side, if you disregard the matches played when Felix was in charge, we would be in a play-off position (6th in the current form table).

On the minus side, we have not beaten any of the top teams this season and Kit's rebuilding work has really only just begun.

We've got a heck of a lot of talent in the first team now and they will only get better. If we hold on to them then I reckon next season will be a promising one.
0001.jpeg

cmg

Irrespective of the manager's strengths and/or weaknesses, irrespective of whether or not we can make any significant signings, the one essential requirement of the route we have decided upon is time. Having met failure with a squad of veterans, our squad is now insanely young. Not all will develop as expected, but it would be very surprising if several did not turn out to be players of very high quality and provide us with the nucleus of a top-tier quality team. But this cannot happen overnight and some pain might be expected before it does happen.

There may be better coaches than Symons about, or more astute tacticians. But not a Guardiola, nor a Simeone, nor a Wenger nor a Mourinho can turn an 18 year old into a 21 year old.

Twig

I think we are demonstrably some way from promotion quality right now.  One season will not see our youngsters suddenly transformed into Championship winners so, to be strong promotion challengers, we would need to add significantly to the squad in several positions.
Now none of us has a clue whether Khan is up for that sort of investment but, even in the unlikely event that he is, I worry about trying to integrate a lot of new talent in one close season.  That was why I wanted to see one or two brought in now to manage that integration process.

f321ffc

Lets hope if we are pushing for promotion it`s in this division and not league 1.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Twig

Quote from: f321ffc on February 01, 2015, 04:34:18 PM
Lets hope if we are pushing for promotion it`s in this division and not league 1.

That's a bit below the belt.  Whilst I don't think we are promotion quality, neither do we look relegation candidates.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Admin on February 01, 2015, 12:24:04 PM
Granted, it was never going to be achieved this season after the Felix car crash, but considering Hull, Leicester, QPR and maybe Burnely might be coming down, how do we prepare for next season, and what should our expectations really be?

No doubt QPR will throw money around once again, although I'm pretty sure they'll be hit with a 50 million quid fine, and transfer embargo? (Can someone clarify)

Pretty sure a few of our kids will be a bit more experienced come next season, but at the same time, I expect us to Make a couple of astute signings. This whole Mike Rigg appointment paints a bigger picture for me, especially as he doesn't start until March?

However, I honestly belive that the Club have written this season off, and think we have enough in the tank to see us through.

I can't 100% clarify but, my understanding is the same as yours. So, I don't believe QPR will be throwing much of anything around and could be in real trouble, facing double demotions. If they are unable to sign anyone and have the 50 million pound fine, then they cannot afford to hang onto the roster that they have. Seems to me that they may have to rely on their academy/youngster even more than we have. I would expect they'd have many jumping ship and be forced to sell off most of the rest to comply with FFP. They can't afford to flaunt the league FFP rules yet again.

Maybe I've got it all wrong but, if they don't survive, they appear in far far worse shape than we did after our own relegation.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

MJG

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on February 01, 2015, 05:03:44 PM
Quote from: Admin on February 01, 2015, 12:24:04 PM

I can't 100% clarify but, my understanding is the same as yours. So, I don't believe QPR will be throwing much of anything around and could be in real trouble, facing double demotions. If they are unable to sign anyone and have the 50 million pound fine, then they cannot afford to hang onto the roster that they have. Seems to me that they may have to rely on their academy/youngster even more than we have. I would expect they'd have many jumping ship and be forced to sell off most of the rest to comply with FFP. They can't afford to flaunt the league FFP rules yet again.

Maybe I've got it all wrong but, if they don't survive, they appear in far far worse shape than we did after our own relegation.
QPR will be in a real mess if they come down. They signed the agreement to FFP when they joined the championship,  so they knew the rules which means any court case has no chance.

PaulJ123

It'll all depend on our transfer dealings. We should have a decent base of a team by the end of the season and then with the right additions and tactics, theres no reason we can't push for promotion. But keeping LVC, Ross, Bettinelli is vital.

In terms of the teams that come down, I think Hull will pull away from the drop. QPR will be royally screwed financially if they do come down, Burnley and Leicester would end up losing their better players (Ings, Ulloa), and I think will then struggle next season.

ToodlesMcToot

Is there any mechanism in the English game that would force us to let go of our youth players should Khan decide to stiffen his backbone and just say "no" when the bigger clubs come in?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

MJG

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on February 01, 2015, 05:20:59 PM
Is there any mechanism in the English game that would force us to let go of our youth players should Khan decide to stiffen his backbone and just say "no" when the bigger clubs come in?
No, if under contract that's it.

If 21 and under and contract runs out as long as we offer the same contract we keep their registration. All that means is a club they walk away to and sign for need to pay compensation,  which is usually peanuts.

cmg

Quote from: MJG on February 01, 2015, 05:08:36 PM

QPR will be in a real mess if they come down. They signed the agreement to FFP when they joined the championship,  so they knew the rules which means any court case has no chance.

I think that would depend on whose paw-prints are on the contract.
That Rosie's got a damn smart brief, you know.

Andy S

I think the big problem is the amount of teams that change the dynamics next season IE the teams that are promoted are on a role and the teams that come down usually have a better a squad than teams already in the league. So it is important to make a couple of quality signings and hope for some improvement in the existing players

Chutney

Quote from: MJG on February 01, 2015, 12:32:55 PM
Considering we are sixth on form over the 21 games in charge for Kit I believe we are not that far away from being right in the mix for next season.
Keep majority of kids, although I do think we will cash in on one during the summer,  and add 3-5 to replace the deadwood in the squad and I see the playoffs as a real possibility... As it should be. Top two would be hard and I think would require more of a change in the starting lineup,  as many as seven possibly, something I think would be a mistake.

This. Our currently very young developing players will be a year older and have a lot more games under their belts. Since kit has come in we have made massive progress from a side that hadn't won in 8 games. We can challenge for the play-offs next year if we keep hold of our best players. I am very excited about the prospect of seeing more Patrick Roberts now that Ruiz is going to Levante .
C O Y W