watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (11/07/10)

Started by WhiteJC, July 11, 2010, 07:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2010/07/10/eleanor-preston-whether-sven-is-a-genius-or-a-blagger-is-one-of-the-great-pub-discussions-along-with-how-a-man-who-looks-like-mr-burns-from-the-simpsons-was-able-to-pull-ulrikkaka-johnson/
ELEANOR PRESTON: 'Whether Sven is a genius or a blagger is one of the great pub discussions, along with how a man who looks like Mr Burns from the Simpsons was able to pull Ulrik(kaka) Johnson'

Now that South West London has waved a reluctant goodbye to Roy "Woy" Hodgson, Fulham fans are left with a confusing mixture of gratitude for the work he did and deep regret at losing him to Liverpool. We are also left with the vexing problem of who on earth is going to manage a team which even the most optimistic amongst us believe could be in for a trying and turbulent season.

Sven Goran-Eriksson appears to be the favourite to become the next Fulham manager and, according to the footballing oracle that is the Fulham Chronicle is one of a three-man shortlist.  I will put my hands up right now and tell you that, somewhat unusually for this terribly well-informed website, I know absolutely nothing. I have no more insight into who is coming to Fulham than any other Five-Live listener or avid scanner or the back pages.

What I do know, however, is that Sven once had a song about him reach quite high (there's that journalistic grasp of detail again) in the pop charts and that huge swathes of the population once judged him to be in possession of both wise footballing insight and tactical genius.  Granted, the longer Fabio Capello goes on boring us to tears with his dysfunctional collection of over-paid prima donnas the better Sven looks, but I can't help thinking that the only reason we ever thought he was clever was because he wore glasses and talked like Benny and Bjorn from Abba.

Whether Sven is a genius or a blagger is one of the great pub discussions, along with how a man who looks like Mr Burns from the Simpsons was able to pull Ulrik(kaka) Johnson, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he might be mostly genius. He was, as Mr Capello as ably illustrated, actually rather a good England manager who got the team through successful qualification campaigns and to the quarter-finals of the European Championships and the World Cup. He is also, as his impressive CV shows, an outstanding club manager. Just as the English public and – it must be said, even though it pains me – the media punished Sven for not meeting their absurdly unrealistic expectations for the team, so Manchester City sacked him for not going from relegation candidates to Premiership title contenders in a handful of months. Should either be regarded as a black mark on what must count as one of the most impressive CVs in football management?

For all that, though, will I welcome him with unreserved joy and optimism? Er, no, not really. The biggest marks against Eriksson are wage demands that would make Lebron James blush and the suspicion that his head is likely to be turned the moment a bigger and better job becomes available. I do not blame managers for going where their bank balance and business advisors tell them too – and this certainly isn't a dig at St Woy, who would have been mad not to take the Liverpool job – but I would far rather have an Alan Curbishley or a Mark Hughes take the helm with the intention of staying on long enough to build a team and watch it flourish.

There is every likelihood that we could lose the cream of Fulham's squad this summer, with the ridiculously talented Mark Schwartzer strongly linked with a move to Arsenal and Clint Dempsey reportedly in AC Milan's sights. Any new manager will want to bring in new faces and they, in turn will take time to bed in which might dash hopes of a top-of-the-table finish. Two seasons ago Fulham finished seventh – yes, seventh! – in the Premiership and last year the team put together a giant-killing run to the Europa Cup final which still seems like one of those dream sequences they occasionally go in for on Home and Away. I don't like to be the voice of doom, but I for one am not expecting the Black and White faithful to have nearly as much to sing about in the coming months.

Come to think of it, that brings to mind another important consideration. It is one of the more endearing habits of the Fulham faithful to insert the manager's name into a chant which goes something like this: "(insert name here)'s black and white army".  "Tigana's black and white army" worked well, so did "Chrissy Coleman's black and white army" and no-one ever sang anything that polite about Lawrie Sanchez. "Eriksson's black and white army" might just work.

So that's that then. The song fits so the Swede  can come to Fulham with my blessing. As someone very clever once wrote: Mamma Mia, here we go again.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/7/10/1562667/clint-dempseys-dilemna-should-i
Clint Dempsey's Dilemna: "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?" - Opinion

Clint Dempsey played very well in the recent World Cup for the United States. Since the U.S. were knocked out of the competition I have read speculation regarding Dempsey's future. I was expecting the rumors to begin immediately. Dempey's agent has been quoted about interest from other clubs in Europe. I wrote about this on July 5th. In my post I also mention that Clint is receiving interest from AC Milan.

If this speculation is true than Clint Dempsey might have a decision to make. Over the past week I have given some thought to this subject. Clint Dempsey has a dilemna on his hands. Will he stay at Fulham or move on to another club in Europe?

This situation is difficult for me to break down. I was drawn to Fulham once Clint came to the team. I have been following the Cottagers ever since. Whether he stays or goes will not change my passion for Fulham. However, I personally hope he stays with the club.

So I am going to try to look at this dilemna objectively. What should Clint Dempsey do? Should he stay or should he go?

I will first list reasons for staying at Fulham.  First, he was a part of a club that just went to the Europa League Finals. Barring many changes he should be playing with that same core of players from last season. He is familiar with his team-mates and that comfort could be a reason to stay.

Second, the club will attempt this season to build on what they just accomplished. Fulham have come so far in such a short period of time. He might want to stay with the club to help them try to get back to the Europa League and beyond.

Third, at Fulham he would be considered one of their high profile players. Players like Bobby Zamora, Brede Hangeland, and himself could be considered the future leaders of the club. He would be a big fish in a small pond.

Fourth, he would still be living in London and speaking English. London is one of Europe's greatest cities. He has now been there for several years.  If he goes to a club in another country he probably will have to learn another language. The transition might take longer than when he first made the move to Fulham.

Now, I will list reasons for going to another club. First, this could be his last chance to play at a big club in Europe. He is 27 years old and in the prime of his career. After a great World Cup his stock will probably not get much higher. He might feel this his best chance to play with a club like AC Milan.

Second, he might think that Fulham have gone as far they could. I disagree with that reason, but he might be considering that thought. Dempsey might think Fulham cannot progress back to a Europa League spot in the EPL. Fulham would have to end the season seventh to possibly get into the Europa League next season.

Third, he might have the opportunity to go to a team that is going to be playing European football this season. He saw how great the Europa League was for Fulham last season, and might want to go to a team that can offer him that now.

Fourth, he could be offered much more money to play at a bigger club in Europe. Fulham might not be able to offer him the type of money that an AC Milan could give him.

There are many reasons on both sides of this dilemna for Clint Dempsey. If I was him, I would ponder these reasons and think about where I want to be. I don't think this is an easy decision to make. I have a feeling I will be seeing more speculation soon about Clint's future. I hope he stays and helps Fulham build off of last season. If he goes I will understand and wish him well. So the ball is in the court of Clint Dempsey. He needs to ask himself this one question. Should I stay or should I go?

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6255060/Sigurdsson-happy-to-stay-at-Royals
Sigurdsson happy to stay at Royals

Gylfi Sigurdsson insists leaving Reading never crossed his mind despite Premier League interest after he signed a new three-year contract.

Premier League quartet Fulham, Bolton, Newcastle and Wigan were all rumoured to be tracking the highly-rated 20-year-old, but he put an end to the speculation by penning a bumper new deal at the Madejski Stadium.

And the Iceland international told the Reading Chronical: "I'm happy with my contract and happy to stay for another three years.

"We've got a good chance of being promoted and doing well in the league next season. So it wasn't really a tough decision because I always wanted to be here.

"My first option was always Reading, they made me a good offer and I was happy to sign.

"The way we played after Christmas was a big part in my decision. We did so well and hopefully we can continue that into next season."

Sigurdsson, who scored 17 league goals in 2009-10, enjoyed a breakthrough season as the Royals fell agonisingly short of a play-off place.

It has been a swift rise to prominence for the 20-year-old who only emerged through the Reading Academy last summer.

"My ambition last year was just to get into the team, be in the squad or be on the bench," he recalled. "So everything has changed a lot since then.

"It's a good thing and it shows the hard work I put into last season has got me through.

"It was Brendan (Rodgers) who put me into the team and gave me my chance. Then when Brian McDermott came in the whole team started playing well so credit to both of them for giving me the opportunity."

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/7/11/1563417/cottagers-daily-rumor-mill-update
Cottagers Daily Rumor Mill Update: Latest Speculation Regarding Eidur Gudjohnsen And Interest From Fulham

I had a post on June 27th regarding Eidur Gudjohnsen and possible interest from Fulham. Last season, the Icelandic striker spent part of the season on loan to Tottenham Hotspur. His parent club is Monaco. I just saw this story and wanted to share an update on this player.

According to the News Of The World, Fulham might have an opportunity to make a run at Gudjohnsen. The story mentions that Tottenham Hotspur have not made either a loan or a transfer deal yet for the striker. The article also talks about that Gudjohnsen has shown much interest in wanting to go back to Tottenham Hotspur.

Fulham could be looking for a few strikers this summer. Erik Nevland recently left to go back to Norway. Diomansy Kamara has had speculation of him possibly moving on to either Celtic or PSG. Also, Andy Johnson is coming off of knee surgery. Based on this News Of The World speculation, Fulham might have have some interest in Eidur Gudjohnsen. However, It will be interesting to see if Tottenham eventually bring him back to White Hart Lane. I will continue to update this story to see who Eidur Gudjohnsen ends up playing for in 2010.

WhiteJC

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/186131/Portsmouth-offload-Nadir-Belhadj-for-3-5m

FINLAND manager Stuart Baxter is second favourite for the vacant Fulham job behind Sven-Goran Eriksson, following a succession of bets placed on him.

But although bookies William Hill have slashed his odds from 16-1 to 2-1, it is understood Baxter is not under consideration and Eriksson remains the 4-7 favourite to succeed Roy Hodgson.

Lighthouse

Villa midfielder Steve Sidwell is set to join Fulham in a £3m deal.
Full story: News of the World

Fulham are also planning to bring in striker Eidur Gudjohnsen after his contract talks with Tottenham stalled.
Full story: News of the World

Fulham will name ex-England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson as their new manager this week. (Sunday Express
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Tktd

AS Monaco boss Guy Lacombe has hinted he would be prepared to allow Premier League target Park Chu-young to leave the club for the right offer.

The 25-year-old South Korea forward impressed at the World Cup for the Taeguk Warriors and his performances have seen the former FC Seoul star linked with a move to the likes of Fulham, Aston Villa and Everton.

After Monaco played a pre-season friendly against K-League team Incheon United today, Lacombe was quizzed about Park's future by the local media.

"I don't know anything about transfer rumours," he said. "Even if an offer came we have no mind to sell the player. but in football I think there is no such word as 'never'."

The friendly ended 2-2 at Incheon's World Cup Stadium in which Park came on as a second-half substitute. The French team were two goals to the good by the break thanks to Daniel Niculae and Argentinian star Alejandro Alonso.

Incheon hit back in the second half through a 50-yard strike from Do Hwa-sung and Lee Se-joo.

"We played well in the first half, made a number of chances and stopped their attacks," added the Frenchman.

"Our young players looked good but it's true that they are not experienced. Incheon's first goal came from our mistake but it was a very good goal."

Tktd

Martin O'Neill will reportedly use Emile Heskey and £3million from the sale of Steve Sidwell to Fulham as bait to capture winger Aiden McGeady.

Republic of Ireland star McGeady played under O'Neill at Parkhead and the Villa boss is keen to organise a reunion this summer.

New Hoops gaffer Neil Lennon knows Heskey well from their days together at Leicester and wants him to be part of his Parkhead revolution.

The former Liverpool striker fell behind John Carew and Gabriel Agbonlahor in the Villa Park pecking order last season and would jump at the chance of regular first-team action north of the border.

O'Neill reportedly wants to add out-of-favour Tottenham striker Robbie Keane to his playing pool and is also keeping a close eye on Stephen Ireland's situation at Eastlands, claims the News of the World.

Manchester City are believed to be close to wrapping a £25million deal for Villa star James Milner, and O'Neill will use the funds from that sale and Fulham's capture of Sidwell to add the new faces he wants to his squad.

Sidwell is desperate to return to London after two years in the Midlands and will seal his move to Craven Cottage before the start of the season.

Mr Fulham

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/fulham_set_for_new_boss_and_keeper_1_840763

Fulham set for new boss - and 'keeper

Fulham are set to name Sven Goran Eriksson as their new manager and he could make Joe Hart his first signing.

According to The People the London club are close to agreeing a deal with the former England boss, who has also been in charge at Manchester City. The Swede has yet to finalise personal terms with the Premier League club, who are looking for a manager after the departure of Roy Hodgson to Liverpool.

The newspaper also claims that Eriksson wants to take City's highly rated 'keeper Joe Hart to Craven Cottage to replace Arsenal-bound Mark Schwarzer. It is unlikely City will sell, however, as number 1 choice Shay Given is recovering from injury.

manxman

Quote from: Mr Fulham on July 11, 2010, 07:31:37 PM

Fulham are set to name Sven Goran Eriksson as their new manager and he could make Joe Hart his first signing.

According to The People the London club are close to agreeing a deal with the former England boss, who has also been in charge at Manchester City. The Swede has yet to finalise personal terms with the Premier League club, who are looking for a manager after the departure of Roy Hodgson to Liverpool.

The newspaper also claims that Eriksson wants to take City's highly rated 'keeper Joe Hart to Craven Cottage to replace Arsenal-bound Mark Schwarzer. It is unlikely City will sell, however, as number 1 choice Shay Given is recovering from injury.

That would be class, i would love joe hart here!
"What in the hell is diversity?"
"Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: manxman on July 11, 2010, 08:13:51 PM

So would i Manx Man, defo a long term good deal, cant see Citeh letting him go though.

Mr Fulham

Fulham target Shane Smeltz has joined Chinese side Shandong Luneng Taishan FC.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Mr Fulham on July 11, 2010, 08:42:37 PM
Fulham target Shane Smeltz has joined Chinese side Shandong Luneng Taishan FC.
Never heard of him, but seriously why would a Premiership standard player ( which i doubt he is) go to China rather than the Premier leaugue, infact why would a league 2 player go there?

fulhamguy

He's not Prem standard, he's not even League 2 standard.
Played for AFC Wimbledon before moving back to New Zealand. Scored against Italy in the WC mind.
COYW!

manxman

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on July 11, 2010, 08:15:40 PM
Quote from: manxman on July 11, 2010, 08:13:51 PM

So would i Manx Man, defo a long term good deal, cant see Citeh letting him go though.

im not sure , mckintosh (sp) has worked with him at city, and if svennis does get the job it could be a deciding factor for him? hart will be  first team  with fulham. but with city he may have first team oppertunities untill given gets back to fitness ! lets just hope!we need someone with class to replace schwarz, whats better than hart? hes young, hungry and english :)
"What in the hell is diversity?"
"Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."