watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR.If I were not an Englishman....

Started by robert, February 05, 2015, 11:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert

If I was not an Englishman and could choose to be any other nationality I would be a German.With the exception of Felix, generally speaking I have found Germans to be disciplined,hard working and intelligent.OK they lack something in the humour department but if you buy something "Made in Germany",you know it will be good quality.If you were not your present nationality which would you choose and why?

ron

The story of Lord Harris speaking to the French Ambassador, who said "Lord Harris, if I hadn't been born French, I would have wanted to have been born English...." ......

......."Now there's a coincidence", replied Harris, "If I hadn't been born English. I would have wanted to be born English too ...."

HatterDon

Well, your royal family has been able to be both British and German for quite a while now.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Rupert

Quote from: HatterDon on February 05, 2015, 12:51:05 PM
Well, your royal family has been able to be both British and German for quite a while now.

Your Royal Family too, Don, once we finally crush you rascally rebellious colonials once and for all.

Though Texas will go back to Mexico, won't it? Okay, Our royal Family, not yours, Gringo.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Dixie

I think I would like to be Canadian eh?
Would live somewhere near the Rockies and go skiing every weekend!
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

Rupert

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2015, 02:50:16 PM

Also Australia would not have excisted today if Captain Cook had not stopped to visit the bathroom.

Point of order, Australia would still exist even if CC hadn't stopped there. It might have a different name and have different people living there, but it would still exist.

A bit like the Christmas quiz at work, what was the tallest mountain in the world before Everest was discovered?

Cue a lot of head-scratching by various colleagues, while yours truly calmly stuck the correct answer down- Mount Everest.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Holders

The difference between English and Germans is that when the English get drunk they fight and smash the place up, the Germans sing and have a good time.

Besides, the English came from what is now Germany in the first place.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2015, 04:08:52 PM
Quote from: Holders on February 05, 2015, 03:54:17 PM
The difference between English and Germans is that when the English get drunk they fight and smash the place up, the Germans sing and have a good time.

They were Anglo Saxons, I was there at the time, but not all came from the Father Land, anyway, you could say that about a lot of countries in the civilised world, although that may depend on what you called civilised.
As for getting drunk, it's just as well we do fight etc, it stood us in good stead in two World Wars and one World Cup.

No, they were Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Friesians who came from Angeln (where Denmark meets Germany), Saxony, Denmark and Friesland. That is, the coastal strip from Friesland to Jutland including a large part of what is now North Germany. Just read Bede and look at the similarities in the languages for corroboration.

As for fighting, they must have been pretty good at that to have the Romans on the back foot and to capture this land in the first place.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ealex40

Quote from: robert on February 05, 2015, 11:11:25 AM
If I was not an Englishman and could choose to be any other nationality I would be a German.With the exception of Felix, generally speaking I have found Germans to be disciplined,hard working and intelligent.OK they lack something in the humour department but if you buy something "Made in Germany",you know it will be good quality.If you were not your present nationality which would you choose and why?

Just before England played Germany in the 1966 World Cup final, Prime Minister Harold Wilson said "Germany hope to beat us at our national sport......well, after all we have already beaten them twice at theirs!"

Berserker

I'm adopted and don't know my heritage. My birth parents lived in Radstock and my father was a miner. I have blond hair and am pale so I could come fron Viking stock.
I would like to be French, Dutch or Canadian if I'm not English.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Lighthouse

I like the Dutch. Northern Europeans in general tend to be very sensible and laid back. I would like to be Dutch. I used to be love my Country but as time goes by I like it less. Still a wonderful and beautiful place at times.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

CorkCity

I would like to be Monegasque, looks a nice place to live.
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

SadOldGit

Quote from: Dixie on February 05, 2015, 01:32:37 PM
I think I would like to be Canadian eh?
Would live somewhere near the Rockies and go skiing every weekend!

0001.jpeg Me too!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 05, 2015, 04:39:51 PM
I like the Dutch. Northern Europeans in general tend to be very sensible and laid back. I would like to be Dutch. I used to be love my Country but as time goes by I like it less. Still a wonderful and beautiful place at times.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Vinnieffc

Hmm difficult one. I'm Irish 1st, 2nd and last but if I had to take an alternative nationality I'd be a Kiwi. Beautiful country,great people and love their sport  049:gif

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2015, 05:34:03 PM

Who are those women in the windows in Amsterdam.

Never forget your Roots.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2015, 05:35:06 PM

Oh how embarrassing. I thought everybody knew who they were. They are window cleaners. Indoor window cleaners mostly.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on February 05, 2015, 04:22:52 PM

They were Anglo Saxons, I was there at the time, but not all came from the Father Land, anyway, you could say that about a lot of countries in the civilised world, although that may depend on what you called civilised.
As for getting drunk, it's just as well we do fight etc, it stood us in good stead in two World Wars and one World Cup.

No, they were Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Friesians who came from Angeln (where Denmark meets Germany), Saxony, Denmark and Friesland. That is, the coastal strip from Friesland to Jutland including a large part of what is now North Germany. Just read Bede and look at the similarities in the languages for corroboration.

As for fighting, they must have been pretty good at that to have the Romans on the back foot and to capture this land in the first place.
Quote from: Holders on February 05, 2015, 04:22:52 PM

Thank you for the history lesson. I will refer your comments back to the English Warrior Queen Boadicea who may have something to say about.
In the meantime, may I have your observations on the Gun Powder Plot in 1705, and the grisly fate of Guido Fawkes.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 05, 2015, 05:37:41 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2015, 05:35:06 PM

Oh how embarrassing. I thought everybody knew who they were. They are window cleaners. Indoor window cleaners mostly.

How come my window cleaner doesn't look like that.

Never forget your Roots.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Berserker on February 05, 2015, 04:31:52 PM
I'm adopted and don't know my heritage. My birth parents lived in Radstock and my father was a miner. I have blond hair and am pale so I could come fron Viking stock.
I would like to be French, Dutch or Canadian if I'm not English.

Go to any genealogy web site. They all offer DNA testing for a nominal fee (about a $100 or less). They'll send you back your heritage. 
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.