more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (14/02/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 13, 2015, 05:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Parker poised for Fulham return

Fulham captain Scott Parker is poised to return to the starting line-up against Ipswich.

The former England midfielder started Tuesday night's 3-1 defeat at Bolton on the bench having only just recovered from illness.

Defender Tim Hoogland is finally over the hernia problem which has sidelined him since October, but manager Kit Symons does not want to rush him back too quickly.

Fellow full-back Fernando Amorebieta is also on the mend after a knee injury but the Ipswich clash is probably too soon for him as well.

Ipswich hope to have striker David McGoldrick available.

A thigh injury caused McGoldrick to sit out Tuesday's 2-1 home win over Sheffield Wednesday which saw manager Mick McCarthy make five changes.

Freddie Sears, Teddy Bishop, Stephen Hunt, Darren Ambrose and Jonathan Parr all came into the side as Town halted a three-game winless streak.

Tyrone Mings was a half-time introduction for Hunt and could well return to the starting line-up while McCarthy has also confirmed Dylan Connolly, a recent signing from Shelbourne, will travel with the squad.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-league-championship/match/395232/fulham-ipswich-town/preview?

WhiteJC

Extra Fulham Allocation Now Available On General Sale

Tickets for Derby County's away game at Fulham at the end of February are now available on General Sale - with more tickets made available.

Derby will travel to Craven Cottage on Saturday 28th February 2015 (3pm).

Tickets were previously on sale to Away Members and Season Ticket Holders.

Derby's initial allocation of 2,900 tickets sold out earlier this week but a further 1,000 seats have been allocated for away supporters.

Ticket Prices - Standard Tickets

£25 Adults
£20 Senior Citizens
£20 Under 21s
£15 Under 16s

Ticket Prices - Restricted View

£23 Adults
£18 Senior Citizens
£18 Under 21s
£13 Under 16s

Supporters can buy their tickets in person at the Unite the Union Ticket Office at the iPro Stadium, by calling 0871 472 1884 (option 1) or by logging on to www.WeAreDerby.com.

To become a Membership Holder for the 2014/15 campaign and ensure you're in line to purchase away tickets first, visit www.WeAreDerby.com.

For more ticket and travel information, head to the Away Tickets section of dcfc.co.uk by following this link: http://www.dcfc.co.uk/tickets/away_tickets.aspx.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/extra-fulham-allocation-now-available-on-general-sale-2267331.aspx#1ZitbSuCDJr2cGGu.99

WhiteJC

Anybody Else Ready For An Anger Management Class? - Notes for Fulham

HarryfromBath assesses the mood in the opposition camp ahead of Saturday's game by delving into their forums.

"Sorry chaps, but we're sleepwalking towards another relegation", "We are in big, big trouble now. I can't see us staying up with the tough run of fixtures coming up", "Ipswich, Millwall and Derby – Yikes!", "It's not looking good. We're all over the place."

"Millwall beat Birmingham tonight and we're five points off the drop now." Tuesday was a truly bad night for the Cottagers. A 3-1 defeat to the Trotters saw them drop to 18th place and this, coupled with the Lions' win, reopened the prospect of a relegation scrap for a second season running.

"I am gobsmacked at how lame we have become", "We are playing like the season is over and we have secured mid-table mediocrity", "I am angered out – just a bit bored of it to be honest. So many mistakes on and off the pitch make anger redundant now."

In contrast, the mood before Tuesday's defeat was not indicating any great concern. "As far as success or failure is concerned, the season is over", "We should be in the Championship next season. If that is the case, the club has six months to get its act together and prepare for next season."

Shahid Khan
"We have an owner that seems to be a decent man, but without a clue", "I have no idea why Khan bought us. He has put plenty of money in, but been badly advised on manager appointments", "He hasn't done anything to directly affect the club negatively. It's just a series of unfortunate events."

Fans aren't pinning the blame for the club's downward spiral on the club's Pakistani-American owner. "He made a few errors but had his trousers pulled down. I'll judge him on how he turns the current shambles around", "He'll be blamed for not adding to the squad in January if we go down."

Kit Symons
"After 22 minutes of the Bolton game, we were 11th and Kit was our God. Seventy minutes later we are 18th and he must go", "Leave off Kit. He has done bloody well with someone else's squad and a damn sight better than Magath."

Cottagers are split now on whether their manager should have been given the job permanently in October. His period as caretaker saw a revival in the team's fortunes after they experienced "the depths of Teutonic darkness" under his predecessor Felix Magath.

"Kit is a Fulham man who bleeds white. What more could we ask for from a man whose first season as a manager has rescues us from a position where we had one point from a possible 24", "His priority had to be that we didn't fall out of this division after the devastation left by Penfold."

"The disappointing thing following the euphoria at the exit of Felix is the accumulating evidence that Kit is not learning from experience", "The same problems arise in every game – questionable formation, players out of position, a slowness to read the game and ineffective use of substitutes."

The Midfield Diamond
"I can't believe that Kit insists on the diamond. It's very easy to counteract and teams have sussed us out now. We're very predictable", "Once Kit realises the diamond has had its time, we'll get results", "We can all see that it hasn't worked for ages."

"We are incredibly disorganised. I can't even say we are one-dimensional", "A change is needed in midfield. There is no protection in front of the defence and no link to the attack", "Our full-backs are constantly crucified in two versus one situation because we are so narrow."

BettinelliGrimmerBodurovHutchinsonStafylidisTunnicliffeFofanaChristensenKacaniklicRodallegaMcCormack (c)
The team (above) which started at Bolton showed just one change from that which drew at home to Birmingham. Cottagers believe that it is unbalanced and lacking width and overall quality.

"The issue is not the diamond, but the personnel. We do not have a natural holding midfielder and it is bizarre that out natural attacking midfielders – Ruiz, Eisfeld and David are elsewhere", "We play the same way because we have no decent wide players good enough to allow us swap formation."

Charge of the Kit Brigade
"Our tactics owe more to the Trooping of the Colour than the Championship. Marching down the middle and taking on a massed defence is going to result in defeat after defeat","We need to stop giving the ball away so easily. It's a recipe for disaster."

Fans are just as concerned with the lack of urgency in the team's play both with and without the ball. "We play one good half only with all of these youth players", "We are not a powerful team but we have no energy. We have a habit of conceding in games when our energy levels drop off."

Bolton 3 – 1 Fulham
"And that's all she wrote. Goodnight", "Well done Bolton, another nail", "You need pace and width in this league – it's so obvious. All the other teams do it, but our manager just thinks passing it slowly between our midfielders will work. His stubbornness in sticking with this tactic worries me most."

"We're a footballing side with a proud tradition that is dropping like a stone." Fans were downcast by the manner of Tuesday's defeat as much as its consequences. Having taken the lead, they stood off a Wanderers team missing nine first-team players, losing to two goals in the last 10 minutes.

"I'm done with the optimism", "It just seems that no-one in midfield can make a decisive pass", "A lot of people say we need a defensive midfielder. I think we need a player who can pick a pass", "We do not keep possession when there is no pressure."

"There were nine Fulham players in our penalty area when their second goal went in", "See Janko's goal - the pressing was embarrassing. The players didn't want to stop the shot coming in", "It's not one piece of bad defending. It's mostly every week now and utterly predictable."

Fulham 1 – 1 Birmingham
"We score and are fighting for our lives afterwards. It's always the same story", "We should have lost that match on that first 45 minutes alone." "Birmingham fans will be extremely disappointed at not being two clear by half-time. The second half was more even with good chances for both sides."

Fans repeatedly voiced concerns about the space City had out wide. "Birmingham had a much more clearly defined shape and Cotterill and Dyer were outlets for them", "We have good players but our formation is wrong. City attacked time and time again down our wings with our full-backs exposed."

Fulham 1 – 3 Sunderland
A young Fulham team (with an average age of 23) bowed out of the FA Cup last Tuesday week when the Black Cats came back from being a goal behind at the break. "I don't want to watch an academy team again. Tonight was dire", "It was a Premier League team against a bunch of kids."

"We are in trouble", "God, we're getting torn apart here", "I just hope we don't sit back off the in the second half. We have to go looking for a second goal." Fans feared the worst even when ahead. "1-2 – What did we honestly expect? It was like we were expecting them to score."

Sunderland equalised courtesy of a blunder by Fulham's keeper Marcus Bettinelli, but the nature of the visitors' second goal was "all very predictable", "You cannot allow a left-footed player to cut in from the right to hammer a shot."

"Our biggest problem is keeping possession. We constantly give the ball away cheaply and we can't string passes together", "The team does not appear able to roll the sleeves up and battle it out", "It was a poor show both speed and passing-wise. We didn't do the basics such as closing down."

Defence
"Fifty league goals conceded is the real problem", "One of the reasons our full-backs come in for so much criticism is that we offer them no cover. The diamond formation combined with no obvious natural holding midfielder exposes a defence which is not as bad as it's made out to be."

Marcus Bettinelli
"Marcus was having a good game until the Sunderland equaliser", "He has been outstanding this season and I'm a bit disgruntled to see him thrown under the bus by the BBC website", "We all recognise true class, future potential, commitment and bravery when we see it."

"Chin up, Betts. You are class", "The best prospect in years." Cottagers were very quick to defend the 22-year-old youth product after his error against Sunderland. "He has been an absolute revelation this season. He seems to have the right temperament for a keeper with massive ability."

"Oh, dear God", "The lad's confidence must be shot." Fans were more concerned when he blundered to give Bolton a third goal late on in Tuesday's game. "When you're facing 20 shots and 15 corners and under constant pressure, these things will happen to an inexperienced keeper."

"Jack Grimmer got through more work than anyone else in the Sunderland game. He doesn't really do crosses though." The 21-year-old ex-Aberdeen right-back has struggled to make an attacking impact in games. "He has made some outstanding tackles and defended brilliantly at times."

"Grimmer is a good player for the future but to be thrown in now is too much", "He has been poor, looked out of his depth and nervous", "He's not a skilful footballer and was at the heart of the defensive mess against Sunderland."

"Jazz Richards is getting shredded by Lloyd Dyer." The 23-year-old Wales international is on a one-month loan from Swansea. "Although he is a natural right-back, his defending for Jordan Rhodes's winning goal was little short of embarrassing. He was too far away from his man for the cross."

"What was Shaun Hutchinson doing for Bolton's first goal? He wasn't even close and Eidur Gudjohnsen had all day to shoot." The 24-year-old former Motherwell centre-back was criticised on Tuesday but has his supporters. "He doesn't get bullied off the ball and wins a good many headers."

"I'm pleased with the development of Hutch. He has taken too much criticism for a young lad moving to a new league and arguably a higher standard. I'm not sure how high his ceiling is but he's brave, strong and he cares", "He has been immense and is proving himself with every start."

"Nikolay Bodurov is a decent defender and our best when in form, but he's involved in a lot of goals we concede when he loses his player", "Maybe the fact he doesn't speak English is an issue. Where I sit you can hear the players on the pitch and he is very quiet."

The 28-year-old former Litex Lovech centre-back "has been one of the best signings in the recent past, but he has gone backwards this season", "His distribution is probably his one weakness. He's not the best passer of the ball", "He should stop playing these hopeful long balls out of defence."

Kostas Stafylidis
"I thought Staf had clicked into place around Christmas, but he has gone backwards and there have been a few rash tackles. It goes back to younger players being inconsistent and learning their trade. He does have something about him. We just need to find it every week."

The 21-year-old Greece international left-back is on loan from Bayer Leverkusen and Cottagers are unsure over whether he should become a permanent addition. "One day he's Ashley Cole, the next Niclas Jensen", "He's inconsistent but time is on his side. Kit's diamond system does him no favours."

"Watch Staf - he almost always checks inside and lays the ball off. Sometimes this is right but we have to threaten and probe more than we currently do down the lines", "His crosses are variable to say the least", "He can ball watch and read situations poorly."

Midfield
"A lot of teams we face have very immobile centre-backs, but we can never take advantage because we're slowly passing it about midfield with no pace to stretch the opposition. We're way too predictable when attacking", "We do not have a natural number 10, so why play the diamond?"

"Kit is hesitant about playing widemen because he does not have the men with flair and pace needed for the position. He likes to tuck his midfield towards the middle to avoid being totally outplayed in the centre of the park."

"We have been consistently overrun in midfield", "The more we get overrun with weak kids in midfield, the more we resort to hoofing the ball to Rodallega, who is not a target-man", "It just seems that we have no-one in midfield who can play a decisive pass."

"Lasse Vigen Christensen doesn't seem to have had the same impact since his [hamstring] injury. I wonder if he still isn't 100% fit." The 20-year-old Danish youth product "has the stamina, strength, pace and maturity to cover for Grimmer and seems to do well cutting inside from the right."

"Christensen has an absolute engine to get around the park", "His contribution has been enormous, and he has made more tackles than Scott Parker", "He can get back and defend a bit. He will improve and he deserves his spot. He's the find of the season."

"Alexander Kacaniklic can be inept. A sniff of after-shave and he goes down, especially if he has overrun the ball." The 23-year-old left-sided youth product "worries me. He isn't that great. He makes good runs but doesn't pick out anyone from his crosses", "back to his usual poor final ball."

"So often he is blazing down the wing for the cross not to beat the first man", "I have seen little improvement in his attacking play." The Sweden international "looks like he might be doing something effective but all too often it comes to nothing. I fear he may end up a nearly man".

"The Birmingham game was screaming out for Patrick Roberts. It was wide open but once again Symons left it too late. He then sticks him in the middle of the park, suffocated by our diamond and with no space. Why not put him on the right wing to take people on and make something happen?"

Patrick Roberts has made a few substitute appearances in recent games. The 19-year-old winger divides opinion. "I'm amazed that Roberts, who is laughably too young and small to work yet, is held in such esteem", "Stick him in the centre and play long balls over his head and he'll be ineffective."

"Scott Parker is a square peg in a round hole. He was a box-to-box player at his best. We need a solid game-reading defensive midfielder and a creative man, but he is neither." The 34-year-old former Spurs man "is better at keeping the ball than Tunnicliffe and has the experience we really lack."

"Parker is calm on the ball and finds a Fulham shirt nine times out of 10. It breeds confidence in the players around him", "We don't have anyone to make a tackle without him." He came on from the bench against Bolton for the last half-hour, having missed the two previous games with illness.

Ryan Tunnicliffe
"I was pleased when Ryan came back but I am not sure what his best position is yet." The former Manchester United man was recalled from a loan spell at Blackburn last month. "He's a central midfielder but he's not a quarter-back and doesn't have the flair to play at the tip of the diamond."

The 22-year-old former Ipswich loan player's passing is heavily criticised. "He couldn't pass to a Fulham player in the dressing room", "He played so many unforced passes to Sunderland men", "We have not retained the ball enough when he has played and that heaps pressure on the back four."

"Ryan should protect the back four. He must be disciplined and not stray from his defensive duties", "His best game was away at Sunderland in the Cup. He occupied the holding role and all he had to do was tackle, pass, intercept and pop the ball off. He'll succeed long term in such an industrious role."

Seko Fofana
"Playing Fofana week-in, week-out is costing us dear. I'm getting really angry. He has done nothing since joining us – a few wayward shots, but it's like playing with 10 men. Open your eyes, Kit." The 19-year-old is on loan from Manchester City until the end of the season and he really splits opinion.

"Fofana drives forward well and then gives the ball away cheaply", "He has poor natural football skill and is always undecided what to do. He shoots recklessly without seeing if there is a better option", "He's a dreadful player who offers nothing. All he does is run around like a headless chicken."

"His upside is immense. I'm not sure if he is a Patrick Vieira or a Yaya Toure. There is a top player trying to get out", "He's full of movement, running at defenders and causing them problems", "We must work on his final ball. As soon as he is near the opposition area he turns into Carlton Palmer."

Strikers
Fulham supporters are more concerned with their inability to protect a lead than their ability to score. Many regret the loaning out of former Leeds striker Matt Smith to Bristol City, as this would have given them the option of playing a burly target man and traditional number nine.

"Cauley Woodrow is a willing runner who tries hard, but isn't good enough to be a regular first-choice striker", "His decision making is the only thing missing from his game. He needs to work on his choice of passing and positioning", "I can see him developing into a really good link-up player."

The 20-year-old ex-Luton striker "has an innate ability to bring others into the game. I have likened him to Sheringham and seen nothing to change my mind", "Cauley holds the ball so well for his age and weight", "I have yet to see a defender bully him and one our most natural players."

Hugo Rodallega
"When good, Hugo is great but I don't see him getting us promoted next season." The 29-year-old former Wigan man "relies solely on service", "He'll not get any better than he is now", "We are not good enough to play with a striker that goes so long without goals and adds very little else."

"We all agree that we need to improve on him in the summer, but for now I would go with Hugo's experience and his extra goals", "I don't think Rodallega can claim much credit for the way he just waits for service", "He gets some stick, but comes up with the goods."

Ross McCormack
"What would we do without Ross?", "Ross is the consummate professional and the perfect example to any would-be footballer of a fully committed team player", "I'm astounded by his work-rate. He is everywhere on the pitch and never gives up", "We'd be in the brown stuff without him."

"Some of his finishing is world class. He's incredibly creative as well and has great vision", "It is easy to see why he scored so many last season. There is so much more to his game than finishing", "We wouldn't have gone down had we signed him instead of the Greek myth [Konstantinos Mitroglou]."

"No more Ross in midfield." Cottagers do not want him played at the tip of the diamond. "He is our main threat and a natural goalscorer", "He is very versatile but that comes with a temptation to stretch him a bit thin", "Three goals in 35 minutes at home to Forest was a nice start to the year."

Cottagers' Views on ITFC and the Game
"Ipswich at home is unlikely to ease our predicament", "Wait until we play a good team at the weekend. That should be fun", "Results must start with Ipswich otherwise we are in serious trouble", "Ipswich are a typical side that will take us to the cleaners and back."

"We know what's coming with Ipswich – a very physical Mick McCarthy team. I predict we will be under the cosh from the first whistle. We are seen to be too soft", "Many of our players are not used to the physicality of this division. There is more to come from McCarthy on Saturday no doubt."

There has been little discussion about Saturday's game and what comments there have been very pessimistic. I will update the forum on Saturday with their specific matchday comments. There were some interesting thoughts from Cottagers watching our recent FA Cup TV replay:

"How the hell has McCarthy got Ipswich to third in the Championship, within a point of top spot? I know we're poor, but I wasn't impressed with them first game of the season, an ugly 4-4-2 physical, long ball side with no finesse about them whatsoever.

"Watching them again tonight against a relaxed Southampton side and they're poor yet again. Any other footballing side would be causing Southampton problems tonight. Maybe that's just the key to winning the Championship, but McCarthy is on route to picking up his third promotion."

"This is never going to be a popular response but the fact is that McCarthy is a very good manager, particularly at this level. He has turned Ipswich around with practically no money at his disposal. He has taken both Wolves and Sunderland out of the Championship.

"He has managed at International level. He is honest, direct and a realist. His football reflects this. In a world where only results matter, he is a man who gets the job done. How does he succeed? He makes teams hard to beat. He gets them organised and the players know what is expected of them.

"He is scared of no-one or of difficult decisions. Like him or loathe him, he deserves respect for being effective. I can well understand if people don't like him, but his record in the Championship is impressive, even if his teams are not."

Websites
The busiest Fulham message board is Friends of Fulham.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/26820/?

WhiteJC

Sky Bet Championship: Team news for Fulham v Ipswich

Scott Parker: Returns from illness

Fulham captain Scott Parker is poised to return to the starting line-up against Ipswich.

The former England midfielder started Tuesday night's 3-1 defeat at Bolton on the bench having only just recovered from illness.

Defender Tim Hoogland is finally over the hernia problem which has sidelined him since October, but manager Kit Symons does not want to rush him back too quickly.

Fellow full-back Fernando Amorebieta is also on the mend after a knee injury but the Ipswich clash is probably too soon for him as well.

Ipswich hope to have striker David McGoldrick available.

A thigh injury caused McGoldrick to sit out Tuesday's 2-1 home win over Sheffield Wednesday which saw manager Mick McCarthy make five changes.

Freddie Sears, Teddy Bishop, Stephen Hunt, Darren Ambrose and Jonathan Parr all came into the side as Town halted a three-game winless streak.

Tyrone Mings was a half-time introduction for Hunt and could well return to the starting line-up while McCarthy has also confirmed Dylan Connolly, a recent signing from Shelbourne, will travel with the squad.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/314133/preview?

WhiteJC

Cooking On Gas

Not 21 until December, Cauley Woodrow is growing up fast. The striker's eyes light up as he discusses his latest passion. Pulling out his smartphone, he flicks to a folder named 'Woody Chef Dog Dog'.

"Honestly, I'm a cook," he tells the official matchday programme for Ipswich Town. "I'm decent in the kitchen. I like a bit of salmon and some veg. I've got a Nutribullet for smoothies. I do a bit of chicken and cous cous. I'm not bad. They're pretty simple recipes, but simple and effective."

Since being handed a surprise debut by Felix Magath in last season's away encounter at Cardiff City, Woodrow has been in and around the First Team squad ever since.

He scored his first goal for the Club in the 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace on the final day of last season and has notched a further four times in all competitions this term. Bar six games, he's featured in every Fulham squad this season. Not bad for a player who made his Fulham bow less than a year ago.

"At the start of the season I didn't really set myself any targets - not ones set in stone anyway - but I did want to get around 10 goals," he said. "I've got four so far which isn't bad considering how many starts I've had. With strikers, if you get a consistent run of games then you'll score goals. If you're stop-start, it's hard to get momentum. I should have maybe scored a few more but I'm fairly happy with my tally."

To date, Fulham haven't been on the losing side when Woodrow has found the net in his short Whites career. After the draw against Palace, Woodrow scored in the 3-3 thriller at Rotherham United, slotted home from the spot in the 4-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday and bagged a brace in the FA Cup Third Round Replay at a snowy Wolverhampton Wanderers.

He said: "With this league, as the Manager keeps telling us, if you do go on a winning run - say you win six in a row - you can go right up. If you lose three on the bounce then you can fall right down. So it's a strange league, there isn't one like it.

"It's certainly not impossible to make the top six. Our aim is to keep winning games and see what happens. Considering where we were at the start of the season with one win out of the first how many games, eight matches, we've come a long way as a team and a new team at that. We've done really well.

"We've been playing catch up for most of the season. If we'd have won four out of the first eight then we'd have been right up there. But that's how football goes, you can't be saying 'what if.' It's happened, we've moved on and our aim is to win as many games as we can between now and the end of the season. We'll keep going until it's mathematically impossible to make the top six."

To read the full interview with Woodrow, get your hands on a copy of the matchday programme against Ipswich on Saturday.

Other exclusive highlights in the only matchday magazine that matters - which is also available to download digitally from 9am on Saturday - are:

Kit Symons pens his regular programme notes
Ryan Tunnicliffe answers your questions via our social media channels
Ipswich legend Matt Holland gives his views on the Cottage clash
In our regular feature, key figures take a walk back down memory lane to the 1981/82 promotion-winning season
Young Academy midfielder Harrison Paton is profiled in 'Through The Ranks'
And Les Strong and Gentleman Jim bring fans their latest columns

Priced £3.50, the 84-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Or order it online from ProgrammeMaster.

For just £1.99, the programme is also available as a digital download with added video content from 9am on Saturday, so whether you're at home or away, you need never be without it on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PC or Mac via Apple's Newsstand or Pocketmags.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/13/cooking-on-gas?

WhiteJC

MATCH PREVIEW: FULHAM V TOWN

Mick under no illusions as to how tough the weekend's clash will be but is boosted by almost fully fit squad to choose from
Boss expecting tough test
Hoping for McGoldrick fitness boost
Connolly part of the squad making the trip
Mick McCarthy is under no illusions just how tough a task his Town players will face at Fulham this weekend.
The Blues make the Valentine's Day trip to Craven Cottage to take on a Fulham side who were tipped by many for an instant return to the Premier League but instead find themselves in 18th place.
However the boss knows the quality at the disposal of manager Kit Symons and is expecting another tough encounter, although perhaps the same style of play, from when the two sides met back in August.
"They've still got a similar style to when we met on the opening day," Mick told the official Club website.
"They've been playing a diamond and they like to pass the ball out from the back. They've got some very good players and it's going to be another difficult Championship game.
"They've spent a fair bit of money on [Ross] McCormack up front and they've got Tunnicliffe in midfield, who we had with us for part of last season.
"Over the course of the season they've had a lot of change which doesn't help but I think Kit [Symons] is doing okay there.
"Injury wise we are looking okay, it's only really David McGoldrick who we are waiting on but we're hoping Didz will be fine.
"Aside from that it's only the long-term injuries of Luke Hyam and Alex Henshall that we expect to be without."

Team news

Mick McCarthy has included recent addition Dylan Connolly in the travelling matchday squad, with the winger impressing in training since joining from January. The boss is also hoping David McGoldrick is fit after missing the win over Sheffield Wednesday in midweek although Luke Hyam and Alex Henshall again miss out through injury.

Fulham boss Kit Symons is likely to field former Town loanee Ryan Tunnicliffe in midfield, who has established himself as a regular in the side since returning from a loan spell at Championship-rivals Blackburn Rovers. Scott Parker has been struggling with illness but should be fine, although Tim Hoogland is unlikely to be risked after only just returning from a serious injury.

Where they currently stand

Fulham- 18th
Town- 4th

Earlier this season

The two sides met at Portman Road on the opening day of the season, with the game shown live on Sky Sports. Town took the spoils that day as a goal in each half from Daryl Murphy and David McGoldrick saw the Blues ease past Felix Magath's side although a late strike from Tim Hoogland ensured a nervy finish.

Worn both badges

image: http://www.itfc.co.uk/cms_images/ryan-tunnicliffe-4x337-1053331.jpg

Ryan Tunnicliffe 4x3

Ryan Tunnicliffe spent the first half of last season on loan at Portman Road from Manchester United, becoming a key element of Mick McCarthy's side although he failed to register a goal for Town. The midfielder returned to Old Trafford in January 2014 before joining Fulham on a permanent deal on deadline day- going on to make his debut against United- but then struggled to break into the side. Joined Blackburn on loan earlier this term before returning to Craven Cottage and forming the base point of the diamond formation the Whites have employed in recent weeks.

Match betting

image: http://www.itfc.co.uk/cms_images/642x482-fl37-980741.jpg

Sky bet 4x3

If you fancy a flutter on the game then make sure you place your bet with the Football League's official betting partner, Sky Bet, and help Town in the process! Mick McCarthy's side are backed at 11/8 to take the points at Craven Cottage, with the hosts priced at 15/8 for the win. You can get odds of 12/5 for a draw.

Match officials

Referee: Mark Haywood
Assistants: Geoffrey Russell & Andrew Turner
Fourth Official: Andy Woolmer

Read more at http://www.itfc.co.uk/news/article/match-preview-fulham-fc-v-ipswich-town-2268078.aspx#2s8ljxOsLShwovhv.99

WhiteJC

McCarthy: Fulham Still Have Premier Players

Town boss Mick McCarthy has warned that despite Fulham's current lowly position their squad still contains players with Premier League experience as well as a number of promising youngsters. The Cottagers, who were amongst the pre-season favourites for promotion following their relegation in May, are currently 18th in the Championship, five points from the relegation zone.

"The front guys are certainly a strength," said McCarthy, whose side climbed back to fourth following Tuesday's 2-1 victory over Sheffield Wednesday. "I don't know if Scott Parker's playing, he's been poorly, I think.

"They've still got good players left [from the Premier League] and they've got good young players.

"They went out and bought young players that they thought were going to be good enough for the Premier League.

"I think in the Championship on any given day it's how you take your chances and they've got an £11 million striker, [Ross McCormack].

"So if we make mistakes and we give them chances they might take them and it's difficult to get back. Hugo Rodallega's still playing for them as well, they've got some good players.

"They are a young group of players but they've good good players as well and they've got some experienced players."

Kit Symons took over as boss in October having done well as caretaker-manager following Felix Magath's sacking.

McCarthy says the former Welsh international has taken on a difficult job: "Kit's inherited it after two or three managers, there have been a lot over a period of time, but just in recent times there have been a few.

"He got it as caretaker-manager and did amazingly well and even then they were still considering somebody else.

"It's difficult, I think, for anybody to take over in those circumstances. Managers that were changing, coaching staff that were changing and then players that were changing and I think he's settled it down and is doing a very good job of it."

The Blues are set to be backed by an away following of more than 4,000, thought to be their biggest in the league since 4,310 made the trip to Reading back in 2005, with 250 making the voyage by boat.

McCarthy says he's been hugely impressed by the travelling Blue Army: "When I watched the Rotherham game back again I was amazed at the support that we had, it was fantastic.

"Unfortunately we didn't get the result but we had enough chances. Let's hope we give them something to shout about and enjoy."

Tickets will be available to Town fans on the day in a 'neutral zone', for cash only with an increase on previous prices of £5. Fans planning to take the train should note the current major disruption on the line.

The Town boss has decisions to make having made five changes to his team for Tuesday's victory over the Owls but feeling some of the players who came in might not be up to two games in a week after playing little first-team football in recent months.

Bartosz Bialkowski is set to continue in goal with goalscoring skipper Luke Chambers at right-back and Christophe Berra and Tommy Smith at the heart of the defence.

McCarthy will have to choose whether Jonny Parr starts at left-back or Tyrone Mings comes back into the XI. Against Wednesday Mings came on at half-time and Parr was pushed into midfield.

Starting the Norwegian in that wide left role may be something McCarthy is considering but Stephen Hunt and Jay Tabb are also options.

Centrally, McCarthy may well decide to return to the Cole Skuse-Kevin Bru partnership with the Mauritian international having been one of Town's best performers after he replaced Teddy Bishop against the Owls.

On the right, Darren Ambrose may be handed a second league start since returning for his third spell with the club but may not last the full 90 minutes having played relatively little first-team football.

Up front, Daryl Murphy will be looking to net his 20th goal of the season to become the first Town player to net 20 in the league since David Johnson's 22 in the 1999/00 promotion season.

McCarthy has hinted that Freddie Sears will keep his place after an impressive performance against Wednesday even if David McGoldrick is over his thigh problem, as is expected to be the case.

Recently signed 19-year-old right winger Dylan Connolly will travel with the senior squad for the first time and has been handed the number 24 shirt.

Luke Hyam and Alex Henshall - who returned from his loan spell at Blackpool last week - are the only players currently sidelined with injuries, both with knee problems.

Fulham skipper Scott Parker is expected to be back in the Cottagers' midfield from the start having been on the bench for Tuesday's 3-1 defeat to Bolton having been ill.

Full-backs Tim Hoogland (hernia) and Fernando Amorebieta (knee) are both close to a return but the Town game may come too soon for them.

Costa Rica World Cup star Bryan Ruiz is set to be amongst the subs after a loan move to Spanish side Levante collapsed.

Town and the Cottagers last met at Craven Cottage in the Premier League in the Blues' 2001/02 relegation campaign.

That game, played in the October, ended 1-1 with Town unable to break down a Fulham side which was down to 10 men for most of the game.

Luis Boa Morte saw red just before half-time for a dive, although in truth he should have gone earlier for an elbow on Fabian Wilnis.

Town, who lost Finidi George to a broken cheekbone early on, had already gone behind to a Barry Hayles goal with the equaliser from Jermaine Wright coming in the second half.

On the opening day of this season at Portman Road, David McGoldrick came off the bench to score the decisive goal as Town won 2-1.

McGoldrick added to Daryl Murphy's first-half goal in the 61st minute with Tim Hoogland pulling one back late on for the visitors.

Historically, the sides have met relatively rarely with the Blues victorious on seven occasions (five in the league), Fulham on eight (seven) and with seven (five) games ending in draws.

The Whites' last victory over the Blues was the famous 10-1 win at Craven Cottage on Boxing Day 1963.

Fulham are without a win in their last five games in all competitions and have won only two of their last 12 matches.

Ex-Town loanee Ryan Tunnicliffe joined the Cottagers in January 2014 from Manchester United after ending his spell at Portman Road early, while former Blue Brian Talbot is the chief scout at Craven Cottage, where he briefly played late on in his career.

The fourth-placed Blues have an opportunity to make up some ground on leaders Middlesbrough and third-placed Derby who are in FA Cup action this weekend. Bournemouth in second will go back to the top if they draw with Huddersfield at home.

Saturday's referee is Mark Haywood from West Yorkshire, who has shown 85 yellow cards and three reds in 28 games so far this season.

Haywood's most recent Town match was the 0-0 home draw with Blackpool in February last year in which he booked three of the visitors and no Town players.

Squad from: Bialkowski, Gerken, Chambers (c), Mings, Parr, Berra, Smith, Clarke, Skuse, Bru, Bishop, Ambrose, Anderson, Tabb, S Hunt, Stewart, Connolly, Murphy, Sears, McGoldrick, N Hunt.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/26823/?

WhiteJC

Kit and Fulham's Regression

In December I (timmy not rich) wrote about how Fulham were doing quite well under new manager Kit Symons. Naturally, things regressed almost immediately. Sorry.

The playoffs, which at the time seemed within reach but required the amazing run to continue, are gone. Relegation looks closer in comparison. Reality is midtable mediocrity.

Seven games have passed since my last post, which has allowed us to really analyze Kit's reign as there are over four five-game blocks. And when collecting data on matches, five game blocks seem to offer the best sample size.

As Fulham have played 30 games, here is the raw data (courtesy of @owain_thomas and the extremely vital http://theonlystat.blogspot.co.uk/) broken down into five matchday blocks (n.b. Magath was fired after Matchday 7):

MATCHDAYS   SHOTS FOR   SHOTS AGAINST   CORSI/TSR   SOT TOTAL   SOT AGAINST TOTAL
Week 5   77   65   0.542   18   24
Week 10   133   125   0.516   44   44
Week 15   194   206   0.485   68   65
Week 20   272   282   0.491   92   94
Week 25   324   372   0.466   106   118
Week 30   380   470   0.447   127   151

MATCHDAYS   SOT SHARE   SHOOTING % FOR   SAVE %   PDO
Week 5   0.429   16.66   58.33   74.99
Week 10   0.5   27.27   54.55   81.82
Week 15   0.511   32.36   56.91   89.27
Week 20   0.495   32.61   58.51   91.12
Week 25   0.473   33.01   62.71   95.73
Week 30   0.457   33.85   64.91   98.76

Rather than charting all of these data points on a graph, I subtracted each row from the preceding row to display the changed between each five game set:

The big takeaways are the gradual but noticeable decrease in Fulham's TSR (i.e. we're getting outshot, consistently), and the utter plateauing of our shooting % (i.e our shot selection and quality).

For TSR, just look at the shot charts from that past five games:

Oh my.

Eh not so bad.

Dear. Lord.

WE WON THIS GAME?!?!

THIS ONE TOO?!? OKAY OKAY MAKE IT STOP

So as you can see we're getting outshot significantly, something that doomed us last season when we had 5 managers and the likes of John Arne Riise in the squad (yet, at this point last season Fulham's TSR was .371. It somehow wasn't the worst in the EPL, yet, would be far, far worse than current Championship bottom-dwellers Blackpool. Shows how even this league can be...).

Although not dropping at worrying rates, regardless this is not a good omen and something that needs to be addressed in the coming games. I'm a bit unsure if it's because our offense has seemingly dried up (more on that next), or if our defense is the liability. I defer to other more intelligent folks on that one.

Now onto our Shooting Percentage, which you can see has totally flat-lined since Matchday 16 (that 2-2 draw with Blackpool in early November).

A nugget of data I found interesting but did not post above is that our passing percentage is actually higher than our opponents in most games; we're just not doing enough with our shot selection and quality. I need to watch some game tape to determine this, but happy to hear what others think.

Yet despite all this Fulham's PDO is currently at 98.92 (100 is league average), and has dipped and risen within a few percentage points since Matchday 16. This means were aren't terribly lucky, but also aren't terribly unlucky. So we're about where we should be (look at teams like Derby who have extremely high, or Brighton with extremely low, PDO. Their other numbers are a-okay, which mean their respective fortunes are bound to change soon).

Holistically, what are we to make of all this? My theory is that we're a horribly unbalanced side and Kit is just a four months into a major rebuild. It may explain the very manic-depressive graph that the great Ben of @stats_snakeoil provided the other day:

Here we see the massive uptick once Magath was fired, followed by a gradual decline that has seen intermittent spikes. It will be fascinating to see if this keeps up for the remaining 15 games.

Speaking of, Fulham will need to somehow play worse (always possible!) in order to get relegated.

Despite the horrid results and performances of late, Fulham are still grinding out results when they need to. Take the total point haul over each matchday set:

Point Haul
Matchdays 1-5   1
Matchdays 6-10   6
Matchdays 11-15   8
Matchdays 16-20   7
Matchdays 21-25   6
Matchdays 26-30   7
For every five games Fulham are gaining about 5.83333 points (or, 1.16 PpG). If you add that average to their current total of 35, they'll end up with about 53.66 points. In the past 5 seasons, 53 points would place you (in descending order): 16, 22, 18, 19, 20. We are currently 18th.

To allay any fears, the teams relegated in 2012-13 each had 54, 51, 41 points. Current relegation places have: 30, 22, 20. Yes miracles do happen, but I don't see either Millwall, Wigan, or Blackpool earning anywhere from 20 to 30 points over the next 16 games (and read this about Millwall: https://statsandsnakeoil.wordpress.com/2015/02/08/visualising-the-championship-historical-context-charts/) to match the tallies of the 2012-13 season. But that doesn't mean Fulham aren't in for a rough ride if they don't address the things I wrote about above.

Finally, to quote Ben of @stats_snakeoil again (https://statsandsnakeoil.wordpress.com/2015/01/02/visualising-the-championship-an-introduction/),

"While Fulham's underlying numbers have remained fairly constant, it took a while for their results to catch up. Moreover, the rate at which their GR caught up with their TSR perhaps suggests that the rate at which they have accumulated points since game 10 is also slightly misleading; I would suggest that they are unlikely to continue to rack up points at near title pace throughout the rest of the season and are instead more likely to end up solidly mid-table."

Feel free to speculate why this is all happening in the comments below. If I am totally misinterpreting the stats, please let me know.

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2015/02/13/kit-and-fulhams-regression/?

WhiteJC

Ruiz to return for Fulham versus Ipswich as club refutes Spanish claims over loan deal

Costa Rican international to play a part for Whites

Battle: Jermain Defoe (L) with Bryan Ruiz
Bryan Ruiz is set to be on the bench against Ipswich tomorrow – and ready to put the farce of a scrapped loan move to Levante behind him.

Fulham deny claims from the Spanish club's president, Francisco Catalan, that Whites didn't understand La Liga's transfer window closed on the Friday before – and not Monday, February 2.

Indeed, boss Kit Symons spelled out the deal was done and dusted on the Friday in the team hotel before the match at Blackburn on January 31.

The FA was happy Fulham had done everything correctly, and the manager also insisted there has been no contact from the MLS, even though the World Cup international tweeted a possible move to the USA on Tuesday.

Symons said: "That's new to me. We've had no contact with anyone about Bryan.

"I had a chat with him today, and he's back as a Fulham player; I'm sure he'll crack on and do well for us from now until the end of the season."

White stuff: Bryan Ruiz (L)
Ruiz has been training on his own and lacks team preparation, but is 'very fit', according to Symons, who issued a clean bill of health to all the squad hoping to hit back from the 3-1 defeat at Bolton on Tuesday night.

"(Midfielder) Scotty Parker had been suffering from a combination of illness and injury, and that's why he came on as sub against Bolton. But he's fully fit for this one," added the manager.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ruiz-return-fulham-versus-ipswich-8642181?

WhiteJC

Next Up: Ipswich Town

Fulham host Ipswich Town for the first time in more than 13 years when the Tractor Boys visit Craven Cottage on Saturday (3pm).

The opposition

At the start of the season, Ipswich weren't really considered amongst the favourites for promotion – by the bookmakers at least – but have been a consistent presence in the upper echelons of the Sky Bet Championship in 2014/15.

They didn't have the most prolific start, though, despite beating Fulham 2-1 at Portman Road on the opening day. They followed that win up with two draws and two defeats from their next four outings, before embarking on a four-match winning run in September that saw them sit comfortably in the Play-Off places.

Mick McCarthy's men continued their impeccable form throughout the calendar year, and were beaten just once more in 2014 – a 3-1 defeat by Cardiff City in October.

The new year didn't start quite as prolifically for them. Two FA Cup meetings with Southampton – the latter of which saw them knocked out – sandwiched a home defeat by Derby County, although they did take three points off Millwall at The Den.

Just one point gained from their subsequent three matches suggested briefly that the wheels may be about to come off their promotion charge, but they got back to winning ways in midweek when they came from behind to defeat Sheffield Wednesday in Suffolk.

Team news

Ipswich are hopeful that striker David McGoldrick will return to the squad, having sat out Tuesday's win, but long-term absentee Luke Hyam. New signing Dylan Connolly is set to be included in a matchday squad for the first time since his arrival at the club earlier this month.

Inside the camp

The Championship's top scorer Daryl Murphy is keen to hit the 20-goal mark as soon as possible, and become the first Ipswich player to do so since David Johnson in 1999/00.

The 31-year-old is enjoying the most productive season of his career and, after hitting his 19th goal of the campaign against Sheffield Wednesday, wants to reach the impressive milestone as quick as he can.

"I want to get there as soon as I can and then get even more from there," he told the East Anglian Daily Times.

"I always liked to think that I would get 20 in a season at some stage in my career. I know I've never been prolific, but any time I've had a run of games as a striker, I've scored a decent amount. I always knew it was in there.

"Just because of the size of me, a lot of managers probably saw me as a targetman whose role was to link up the play. There were times when I played on the left of midfield and had to do a job for the team.

"The gaffer has shown real faith in me though and when he gave me the number nine shirt that gave me a real boost in confidence."

Player to watch

Tyrone Mings: Ipswich fans were disappointed to lose the highly rated Aaron Cresswell to West Ham United in the summer, but the knock-on effect has been minimal thanks to the emergence of Tyrone Mings at left-back. Signed from non-League Chippenham Town, he made his debut for the club on the final day of the 2012/13 season, and played 18 times the following term. Since Cresswell vacated the left-back spot, though, he's been a first choice and has featured 28 times this season. His performances have not gone unnoticed, either, as he was named Championship Player of the Month for September, while a number of Premier League clubs were believed to be circling during the January transfer window.

Marathonbet match odds

Fulham: 43/20

Draw: 5/2

Ipswich: 7/5

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/13/next-up-ipswich-town?

WhiteJC

Should FC Dallas go for Bryan Ruiz?

Spoiler: The answer will be "Yes".

As we know, FC Dallas still has one DP slot open and one glaring position that desperately needs to be filled (right wing/mid). Yesterday a tweet came out that Costa Rica's captain Bryan Ruiz was open to joining MLS, should the right team come knocking.

Obviously, I don't know what Ruiz and his agent are looking for or what their "Must Have" list is, but Dallas would be missing out should they not make an attempt at Ruiz for their final DP spot. Ruiz brings big game experience, enormous talent, an eye for goal and fans into the stadium. Oddly enough he's kind of a blend of Blas Perez and Mauro Diaz. Has the size and goal scoring threat of Blas and the soft feathery touch of Mauro. It's as if they had a child that took their best soccer features. But back to the point, so let me break down the reasons for and against going for Ruiz in this case.

Goals

For club and country, Bryan Ruiz has been a consistent performer in terms of scoring and creating goals. This year with Fulham in the Football League Championship, Ruiz has averaged a 0.54 goals+assists per 90 ratio (0.31 for goals and 0.23 for assists). Not world breaking, but still a very good rate of return. Where Ruiz does shine is in the Chances Created department where he's averaging 1.76 chances created this year (chances created = key passes plus assists) and that is what we want to see from a winger. Someone who puts the ball into areas where they are goal scoring opportunities for your teammates.

For comparison, Andres Escobar averaged 0.32 goals+assists per 90 and 1.27 key passes per 90. Granted, there is a bit of an advantage for Ruiz in terms of actual goals scored because he played more centrally than Escobar did, but can you imagine seeing this kind of skill on a weekly basis?

Versatility

This is where some of you might be scratching your heads and wondering, "Wait, isn't Ruiz more of a second striker or attacking midfielder?" Yes, that is true but Ruiz can also line up on the right side as well and dribble to the center of the field onto his stronger left foot. He has played a bit on the left too, but he primarily operates out of the middle and right sides of the attacking midfield. If Oscar Pareja is truly committed to the 4-2-3-1 with Mauro Diaz running the show, then having Ruiz as a backup to Diaz would be incredible.

The Case Against

His age (29), price (can FCD afford him) and the Hunts. I don't mean this in a negative way, but the Hunts are not known to splash for big name players. Whether Bryan Ruiz is considered a "big name" player is to be determined, but he doesn't seem to fit the mold of what they are looking for. After that disaster with Denilson in 2007, the Hunts have been pretty gun shy about splashing the money for players and have preferred to go with "The FC Dallas Way" of plucking young, raw, unknown talent on the cheap and turning them into stars on the team.

In the end though, I certainly think Dallas should take a look at Ruiz. Perhaps after it's all been said and done, nothing will come of this and it'll all just be speculation and end in the same way of Sacha Kljestan, Mix Diskerud and Michael Essien. But it technically still is the silly season, so why not have one or two more rounds of it? What do you guys think? Should Dallas make a run for Bryan Ruiz?

http://www.bigdsoccer.com/2015/2/13/8030791/fc-dallas-bryan-ruiz-mls-rumor

WhiteJC

PASSLEY ENJOYING WING-BACK ROLE

On loan defender interviewed in Exeter programme

Josh Passley has impressed since moving to Pompey on loan from Fulham last month.

The defender has helped his new side go three matches unbeaten, while also keeping three clean sheets.

That came after a switch of systems, with the Blues moving from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2.

And Passley is enjoying that formation – even if it does mean a lot more hard work for the 20-year-old.

"I played as a wing-back when I was at Shrewsbury," he says in the official matchday magazine for Saturday's clash with Exeter. "It's something I was already pretty familiar with.

"There's a lot more running involved – there's no winger in front of you, so you're constantly having to get up and down.

"You have to be switched on for the whole time because you don't want to be caught out positionally.

"But we've got plenty of great defenders at this club and I'm always confident that they'll be covering any gaps that I might leave."

To read the full interview – where Passley also reveals what it's like to run out at Fratton Park – pick up a copy of the matchday magazine from programme sellers around the ground.

You can also download it to read on your iPhone or iPad. Download the Matchday Digital app from the iTunes store, find the Pompey section and follow the instructions. Click here for more information.

Also in issue 19, Wes Fogden reveals some of his favourite things and we take an in-depth look at Exeter.

There are exclusive columns from chairman Iain McInnes, manager Andy Awford and captain Ben Chorley.

Plus we have fantastic interactive content courtesy of our friends at Blippar and Navigate Digital.

Simply download the free app to unlock any of the pages that carry the Blippar logo (such as the one on the front cover).

All this and much, much more in a packed 84 pages is available for just £3.

Read more at http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/article/josh-passley-interviewed-in-portsmouth-v-exeter-city-programme-2269272.aspx#fuPpy3KixWtthTq1.99

WhiteJC

Kit's Ipswich Preview

Kit Symons has spoken of a need to up the consistency of play throughout 90 minutes in order to get the Whites back to their winning ways after a string of frustrating results, starting at Craven Cottage against Ipswich Town on Saturday.

"I know this league very well and I know it is very, very tough," he said in the press conference ahead of the match. "The one frustrating thing at the moment is we're playing really well for periods of games but it's sustaining it for a full 90 minutes which is the key for our season at the moment.

"Even when you have spells of the game when the other team are on top, which inevitably will happen, it's managing those spells in a better manner than we have done lately."

Symons will be boosted not only by the return of Scott Parker, who had been suffering with injury and illness, but also by Bryan Ruiz who had a loan move to Levante UD rejected by FIFA earlier this week.

"Unfortunately for Bryan the deal to Levante wasn't sanctioned by FIFA so Bryan is back now. He's back as a Fulham player and he will very much be part of the plans," said Symons.

Despite the rumours surrounding the move, Symons stated clearly: "The FA have backed Fulham, as all our paper was through on time. So it's just unfortunate for Bryan. It was some elements of paperwork obviously from the other end that didn't quite go through on time."

Now that he is back with the team, Symons is expecting the talented Costa Rican forward to give the Whites his all.

"When I first took over I had a good chat with him. I was under no illusions. I knew that he wanted to go," said Symons. "We've always been straight with each other and that remains to be the case. We knew the situation and he played very well for us up to that time and I am expecting him to play very well for us between now and the end of this season."

"Speaking to him today and what I've always known is that he's a good person. He's a good bloke and he's a very good professional and a very good player. Put those three things together and he'll crack on with us and do well."

Another player Kit Symons is backing to make a return to form is young goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli who has impressed all with his excellent performances so soon after integrating into the First Team, but has recently made a couple of mistakes; firstly against Sunderland in the FA Cup Fourth Round Replay and then against Bolton on Tuesday night.

"The biggest surprise probably with Marcus was he went so long and did so well without making any sort of mistake sooner really for a young keeper," said Symons.

"He's been excellent so I've got no problems at all and still back him fully as I always have done. He's a very, very good young keeper and will get better and better."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/13/kits-ipswich-preview?

WhiteJC

Sheffield United: Clough has no fears taking on Matt Smith, the striker he tried to sign

Nigel Clough has revealed he made an enquiry for Matt Smith before the Fulham centre-forward joined Bristol City on loan.

But the Sheffield United manager, who last night refused to rule-out submitting a third bid for Blackpool's Steve Davies, insisted he has no fears about facing the 25-year-old at Ashton Gate this afternoon.

Clough, speaking ahead of today's meeting with the League One leaders, said: "We asked about Matt before he went there but we were told he didn't want to play in the third tier. Then he popped-up there but never mind because sometimes that's just how it goes.

"We're always looking at players and, if the opportunity arises, then we might try and bring another one in (during the loan window). But if not it doesn't matter.

"There's no rush because our squad is good at the moment. It's more than equipped to cope."

As The Star reported yesterday, Davies features among Clough's list of potential targets after learning that Michael Higdon (hamstring) and Stefan Scougall (knee) have both failed to overcome injury.

Sixth-placed United had hoped that Higdon would be available to face City but Clough added: "It's just not quite ready which is a shame because Michael would give us that physical option up there.

"With Stefan, we're still not quite sure because things are still settling down but we're working on the basis of something like four weeks."

Clough, meanwhile, has repeated his claim that Harry Maguire left United "too soon" after joining Hull City during the close season. The 21-year-old has started just once game for the Premier League club and was loaned to Wigan Athletic earlier this week.

"We asked Harry to give us one more year, help us get promoted and leave as a hero," Clough said. "Unfortunately, he saw it another way.

"We'd never stand in the way of anyone joining a top-flight club because of everything involved but it's all about the timing. Harry is a smashing player and so, hopefully, he'll get the chance to play some football now."

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/sheff-utd/sheffield-united-clough-has-no-fears-taking-on-matt-smith-the-striker-he-tried-to-sign-1-7106894

WhiteJC

McCarthy hopes Fulham won't be able to guess his line-up

Mick McCarthy hopes that Fulham are scratching their heads about the Ipswich Town team they will face at Craven Cottage this afternoon (3pm ko).

The Blues boss has been fiercely loyal to his preferred personnel for much of an impressive campaign. However, following a jaded start to 2015, he made five changes to his starting line-up ahead of Tuesday night's home game against Sheffield Wednesday.

Fresh legs sparked Town back into life, a 2-1 come-from-behind win lifting them back up to fourth in the Championship table.

Now McCarthy has a welcome selection headache. Did the likes of Stephen Hunt and Teddy Bishop do enough to keep their places? Will fit-again striker David McGoldrick go straight back into the team? Will new signing Dylan Connolly be involved at some stage? Could Jonathan Parr start on the left of midfield following an impressive second half display there?

"There are plenty of possibilities," admitted McCarthy. "Jonny Parr is a full-back but he's looks equally comfortable wide left when I've put him there.

"I've got 18 outfield players to play the rest of the games, unless I get somebody else on loan, so it's important that I know that I have options like that.

"It might be good for us if Fulham are wondering what I will do. Generally we have a good idea of each others' teams, but on the odd occasion you get their team-sheet and you're not quite sure of their shape then it can throw you."

Around 4,000 Town fans will be making the trip to west London today – the club's biggest away league following in a decade.

"I was amazed at the support we had at Rotherham (1,879 watched a 2-0 loss)," said McCarthy. "Let's hope we can give the away fans something to shout about this time.

"After that game we were getting to the stage where we really needed a win. We won and now it's important to consolidate that.

"We'll be running out of games shortly, we're coming to the thin end of the wedge, so we need the points. We're still aiming for the top two and we certainly don't want to drop out of the top six, that's for sure."

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/latest-news/mccarthy_hopes_fulham_won_t_be_able_to_guess_his_line_up_1_3956120?

WhiteJC

If Statistics Won Games: Fulham 0-1 Ipswich

If Statistics Won Games returns at this early hour to bring you good news! There's no need to continue to be leptochrous, our bad run is officially over!

Last Match Prediction

Ipswich 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday

Success rate: 0%

Conclusion: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Being wrong is great sometimes!

The Wider Context

I waited as long as possible, but unfortunately there has been no update on the probabilities. A win, needless to say, was good for our chances of promotion!

Form

I think the main thing to re-illustrate is that statistically speaking, our poor form has officially come to an end. This is the third time we have had a run of five poor games. In the first spell we took five points from five games. In the second spell we took four points from five games. And from our latest poor spell we took four points from five games.

We have lost two away games in a row, and to lose three would be in uncharted terrain. I don't expect that happen. In fact form insists we should win this one. Off the back of each run of poor form, we have won at least the next three games.

I must admit, I was and still am ill. I consequently did not go to the match against Sheff Wed. But from the highlights we seem to be much more assured on the ball and much more purposeful in the final third. Sears and Murphy seemed to be combining well, and from the chances we could easily have won by more. So I think the statistics are likely to follow the ebb and flow of the season.

Our opponents Fulham are 18th in the table and we should win if we show the same attacking intent. They are on a winless streak of three games, which is someway off their dreadful start, which saw them collect one point from eight games. Poor form truly is relative. Fulham do have quite a poor record against top-six opposition, losing all six games so far. So the circa 4,000 fans should be in store for a good one.

Fulham have conceded in their last eight games, and are 23rd in the defensive table, having let in 53 goals. This spectacularly poor record is assisted by their offensive performance. They have scored 43 goals, which is five shy of us.

At home Fulham fare better, and are placed 12th in the table. But if the top two is still considered a realistic target amongst the players, as Murphy indicates, this is the sort of game we need to win.

For perspective, at the moment the home and away tables are equal, with each team having played 15 games. We sit top of the home table, two points clear of Derby. But away from home we are ninth, nine points, seven points and six points behind Bournemouth, Middlesbrough and Derby respectively.

Fulham's most common result at home is a 1-0 loss. This has occurred 20% of the time. Fulham have not drawn 0-0 at home this season, and when they have failed to score, they have always failed to win. If Fulham score at home, they do not lose! So it seems from all the form that if we can stop them from scoring, we will get our chances, and we will win the game. I am torn between a 2-0 Ipswich win and a 1-0 Ipswich win. But 1-0 seems to have more going for it.

Playing Style

Fulham are strong on through balls, so hopefully after three recent mix-ups in defence, we can sort out the communication between the defence and the goalkeeper. I do think the mistake against Southampton kick-started a fear between defence and goalkeeper, which just needs to be forgotten really.

Fulham are statistically weak at pretty much every defensive situation you can imagine, and many you didn't even realise existed. So if we do something (!), we should get our goal. Statistics say we are most likely to get a goal from set-pieces.

Fulham seem to be somewhere between a passing side and a direct side. They make 464 passes to our 409. 370 of their passes are short, in contrast to 294 of ours. They certainly attempt to play the ball, but don't really dominate the game. They possession is 51%, in contrast to our 49%. As with all teams, Fulham are more successful at passing accurately than us. They have a 78% success rate, compared to our 65%.

Timings

Another low-scoring prediction makes for a pretty straightforward conclusion. We are most likely to score between 16-30mins. However Fulham are most likely to concede between 0-15mins. I think Fulham's poor opening play holds enough sway to dictate we will score between 0-15mins from an early set-piece or cross.

Perhaps this will be 2-0 after all, I don't believe we won't add to a 15min opener!

Player Focus

Statistically speaking Fulham's star player is Lasse Vigen Christensen. The 20-year-old Danish central midfielder has scored five goals and created seven goals. He has an 81.9% pass success rate and is also strong at tackling and good at dribbling.

Teddy Bishop would be our closest player to Christensen. Teddy is two years younger and the differences are evident. Bishop has scored one goal this season, which seems to be more down to his lack of physicality, than positioning, accuracy and ability.

Christensen also puts in more tackles, interceptions and clearances than Bishop. The more I view Christensen, the more he seems like a McCarthy type of player. An all-rounder that works hard, but technically sound, and good going forward.

Summary

Fulham 0-1 Ipswich

Ipswich to score between 0-15mins

http://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21487/if-statistics-won-games-fulham-0-1-ipswich/#0

WhiteJC

West Ham United join Chelsea and Fulham in keeping tracks on AFC Wimbledon starlet Daniel Agyei
Daniel Agyei has caught the attention of Sam Allardyce's side
The 17-year-old has scored 31 goals for AFC Wimbledon's Under 18 side
West London duo Chelsea and Fulham have been keeping tabs on Agyei

West Ham are tracking AFC Wimbledon hotshot Daniel Agyei.

The 17-year-old has impressed Hammers scouts, scoring 31 goals for the Dons' Under 18 side this season.

And he has continued his goalscoring exploits since being promoted into the club's U21s, scoring two goals in five starts.

Young striker Daniel Agyei is enjoying a prolific season for AFC Wimbledon Under 18s

West Ham boss Sam Allarydce is said to be keeping close tabs on the 17-year-old striker

West Ham are closely monitoring his progress and are plotting a move for the teenage forward ahead of next season.

Chelsea and Fulham have also been following the young striker in recent months, with the trio now set to go toe-to-toe for his future.
Allardyce's main focus at the moment surrounds the fitness of first team striker Andy Carroll.

The 26-year-old has been ruled out for the rest of the season after sustaining a knee injury.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2952563/West-Ham-join-Chelsea-Fulham-keeping-tracks-AFC-Wimbledon-starlet-Daniel-Agyei.html#ixzz3Ri3GuQMl
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook