more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (17/02/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 16, 2015, 05:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Pennant could join Millwall in time to play against Fulham

FREE agent Jermaine Pennant will link up with Millwall's squad for training tomorrow with a view to signing a short-term contract until the end of the season.

Pennant was initially a target for the Lions in August but a deal could not be agreed and the 32-year-old instead signed for Indian Super League side FC Pune City.

But the Indian season only runs from October to December, meaning Pennant is without a club again.

It is understood he has been keeping fit in Thailand since the turn of the year.

The ex-Liverpool and Stoke winger contacted Ian Holloway last week to express a desire to help keep Millwall in the Championship and has been invited to train with the club.

Holloway is in the market for a wide player to replace the injured Paris Cowan-Hall and Pennant is expected to agree terms before Saturday's clash with Fulham.

http://www.newsatden.co.uk/46187-pennant-could-join-millwall-in-time-to-play-against-fulham.html?

WhiteJC

Roy Hodgson reveals he was in 'semi-retirement' before Mohamed Al-Fayed persuaded him to become Fulham manager

Hodgson was about to become 'presidential adviser' to Internazionale owner Massimo Moratti before taking the Fulham job that lead to being named England manager

Roy Hodgson has revealed he was in 'semi-retirement' in 2007 when Mohamed Al-Fayed persuaded him to forgo the post of 'presidential adviser' to then-Internazionale owner Massimo Moratti and take on the task of keeping Fulham in the Premier League.

Hodgson not only kept Fulham up, he took them to the final of the Europa League. Further posts at Liverpool and West Brom followed before, as he said "here I am eight years later in the biggest job in the country". The England manager, 68 years old but not, he said, "feeling anything like that, added: "That taught me not to make any decisions about my future, I prefer to see what develops."

The same applies to his team. Hodgson said he has names in mind for the European Championships in France next summer, but the vagaries of form and fitness are such they a pencilled in, not inked.

One player whose recent England career illustrates the problems is Daniel Sturridge who has been plagued by muscle injuries since breaking down in training with England at the start of the season. That prompted a public exchange with Brendan Rodgers who, at the time, was under pressure at Anfield after a slow start to Liverpool's campaign.

Hodgson said as far he was concerned that was all in the past and he was looking forward to Sturridge's return. "My relationship with Brendan is the same as it is with every other coach," he said. " I get on well with all the coaches. He said a few things about Daniel's injury, I accepted that, it didn't bother me.

"I've never really had a working relationship with him, I work with the players. Some managers I know better than others, some I speak to, some I don't, I don't have a clear cut policy on that."

Hodgson admits he was in 'semi-retirement' in 2007

"It was unfortunate Daniel got injured when he did and we were sorry about that but he has had a few injuries since. Is that down to England and the way we work? I don't think so.

"Having him back will be great as long as he is playing well, I have a few weeks yet (before naming the squad to play Lithuania and Italy next month) but I have always said Daniel has the talent we are looking for and I am delighted he is not suffering his muscle problems any more.

"If he needs a special programme we will take it into account, the medical team will know if if he does as they are in contact with the Liverpool people and I will know that as I will speak to Daniel when he arrives."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/roy-hodgson-reveals-he-was-in-semiretirement-before-being-persuaded-by-mohamed-alfayed-persuaded-him-to-become-fulham-manager-10048428.html

WhiteJC

Frustrated Fulham captain explains defeat to Ipswich

Parker bemoans Whites 2-1 loss to Town

Captain: Scott Parker battles with Ipswich's Daryl Murphy
Fulham were never going to rein in a 2-0 deficit against the Tractor Boys - even though they eventually chugged into gear, admitted Scott Parker.

The Whites captain got through 90 minutes on Saturday for the first time in a month against Ipswich. But Parker admits the side were ploughing through mud after they surrendered a couple of easy goals to predator-in-chief Daryl Murphy inside 45 minutes.

The striker was a thorn in Fulham's side on the season's opening day at Portman Road where he scored in the first 2-1 win.

This time he went a goal better to secure the points long before Ross McCormack grabbed a 'fortuitous' consolation, as boss Kit Symons put it.

Parker acknowledged an Ipswich side up to fourth, while Fulham hover just above the Championship's danger zone.

Lonely walk: Kit Symons
"We come out flying a little bit in the second half, but we gave ourselves a bit too much to do," he explained. "It was difficult. I think they're a very well organised team; they turn the balls into the channel and get in behind your defence.

"The first goal was a set play, the second a well-worked goal, and in the first half we weren't really quite at it. We played some nice stuff without creating many chances."

Murphy is up to 21 goals for the campaign, and Parker can see why.

"He done very well for them. He's that link for them up front. The way we played, it's quite direct and he he's pivotal in the way he holds the ball up," added the skipper."

Daryl Murphy (2nd R) celebrates after scoring the second goal for Ipswich as Parker (L) looks dejected
Parker has the experience and know-how to deal with a streak of six games without a win, but is hoping his younger team-mates will also deal with the pressure.

He added: "We need a couple of results because we're on a bit of a bad run."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/frustrated-fulham-captain-explains-defeat-8653195?

WhiteJC

Ryan Reflects

Ryan Tunnicliffe gave an honest assessment of Fulham's 2-1 defeat to Ipswich Town on Saturday.

The Whites fell behind early on to Daryl Murphy's header – and the same player increased Ipswich's advantage just before the break.

Ross McCormack pulled one back in the second half for Fulham but the result, a third defeat in four games for the Whites, saw Kit Symons' men slip down to 19th place in the Sky Bet Championship table.

"It was disappointing," Tunnicliffe told the official website. "We can't keep playing nice stuff and passing the ball without creating chances. For spells in the first half we played well but ultimately we came in at 2-0 down. Something has to change – we need to start being more ruthless, both in defence and in front of goal.

"I thought we bounced back quite well after the opener – we passed it, passed it, passed it, but the second just before half-time killed us and gave us a massive mountain to climb.

"We won 1-0 in the second half but we were 2-0 down at half-time so it's not good enough. We changed a bit how we played second half, we went longer and played more percentage football to try and turn them and play higher in their half. It worked out quite well so that might be something to look at. If a team is pressing us and we can't play our football we need to look to adapt."

A big, physical side, Ipswich's pressing game worked well at the Cottage. They gave the Whites very little time on the ball, often doubling up on the Fulham man in possession.

"Against a team like Ipswich who are there near the top, they know how to play and evidently they know how to win games," stated Tunnicliffe. "They all do their job to a man so we knew it was going to be hard and it wasn't a great start.

"They're physically big and they like to press – that's how Mick McCarthy wants his sides to play. I've been at Ipswich on loan and any Mick McCarthy team will work hard. But we've got good enough players in the 18 and not in the squad on Saturday to adapt to that and play around it. Unfortunately that didn't happen."

Symons deployed a slightly different formation on Saturday, moving away from a diamond to one with more width. Tunnicliffe and Scott Parker sat in front of the back four with Alexander Kačaniklić and Lasse Vigen Christensen working the flanks.

"It's nice fluid football in the formation we've played in recent weeks but knowing how Ipswich were going to play we needed to pick up second balls which I think we did quite well," said Tunnicliffe. "Me and Scott sat deeper which gave us a solid base to build from. With the wide players we could attack down the flanks as well as going down the middle. It was just about being more solid."

The Whites are next in action on Saturday when they head to struggling Millwall for a crucial London derby. The Lions are five points behind the Whites and Tunnicliffe added: "It's a massive game. It's a London derby and hopefully we'll have a good following there. We've had a few losses on the spin now so it's time we start picking up wins and going the right way up the table. Millwall are down there as well so they'll be up for it as much as us. A win is a must."

Make sure you're there on Saturday for our first trip to The Den in almost 17 years as the Whites take on Millwall in a crucial London derby. Tickets are priced at just £26 for adults and from £7 concessions.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/16/ryan-reflects?

WhiteJC

Ticket details: Owls v Fulham is Kids for a Quid!

Owls v Fulham         
Saturday 14 March 2015 – 3.00pm kick off
Sky Bet Championship
Kids for a Quid

The Owls host Fulham on Saturday 14 March and this game has been designated Kids for a Quid.

All supporters aged 16 and under can purchase a ticket for £1 in any area of the ground if purchased in advance of the game.

Tickets are now on general sale. 

Tickets are available to purchase in person at the Ticket Office, Owls Megastore, over the phone on 0871 900 1867 (£2 booking fee per ticket) or online at the Sheffield Wednesday online shop. 

All supporters who attend this game and purchase their tickets in advance will receive ten Ticket Priority Points.

Read more at http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/ticket-details-owls-v-fulham-is-kids-for-a-quid-2273845.aspx#4dDh1pJ8LI8dUxlk.99

WhiteJC

Ticket Office Closure

Supporters are advised that the Ticket Office at Craven Cottage will be closed on Tuesday 17th February.

Fans will still be able to purchase tickets over the phone or online.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/16/ticket-office-closure?

WhiteJC

Rivals Bring In Pennant?

Fulham's relegation fears are very much on again and ahead of, at this stage anyway, the biggest game of the season the News at Den reports that our weekend opponents look set to bring in some extra firepower.

Recently Jermaine Pennant's been playing in India but the former Arsenal, Leeds, Birmingham, Liverpool, Portsmouth and Stoke winger (that's a long list of former clubs) could join Millwall by the weekend. If he does that could put him in contention for the 'six-pointer' at the Den on Saturday?

Having been without a club since the Indian Super League ended in December, that only runs from October-December, and being a free agent before that since the summer we'll be hoping that his fitness levels are lacking as 'keeping fit in Thailand' is different to keeping fit with first-team professional football training isn't it.

Pennant's a blast from the past but he's produced the goods previously so we'll be wary of him, if he does join Ian Holloway's side and features against us....

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=388925#ixzz3RvgAJ3DX

WhiteJC

The Craven Corner: Time for Fulham to pull the plug on Symons

Kit Symons manager of Fulham (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)
Our Fulham blogger has lost patience with Kit Symons after Saturday's 2-1 home loss to Ipswich Town made it six games without a win.

It's hard to understand what is going on at Fulham at the moment.

We play with wingers, yet with two defensive-minded midfielders in the middle of the park. The most creative spark in Lasse Vigen Christensen is wasted out wide and because of the central pairing you have no willing runners. That in turn leaves the strikeforce with no support, and when the ball reaches the final third it's from a long ball that is simply hoofed forward due to the lack of movement.

The defence is simply a mess, there's no other way to word it. Jazz Richards, a loanee from Swansea, struggles to win aerial duels and the lack of intent and desire is apparent. The two central defenders are second to every ball and were bullied in the first half. In fact, to leave Dan Burn and Bryan Ruiz on the bench to start was criminal. You knew Ipswich's Daryl Murphy would get physical as he towers above Nikolay Bodurov, so Burn would have been able to deal with the striker much more efficiently.

The problem is clear – we lack a plan B and there is no motivation from the manager to change things. The ball goes back to the defenders or goalkeeper due to the lack of confidence to carry the ball forward or have someone create space for others. The reception from the home crowd when Ruiz warmed up shows how much he is needed. He's the only player who can remain calm in the final third and pick out a pass, creating more space for others to work in and leading to far more chances.

Sadly, it took over an hour for Kit Symons to clock that we needed something more in the midfield before Ruiz was introduced. It really is a sad time to be a Fulham fan. A club that was a European finalist not so long ago is now turning out heartless performances with no teamwork or commitment.

Every time the ball was hit forward against Ipswich the central midfield pairing were out of the game, leaving the two centre backs vulnerable. If you're going to play with two defensive midfielders then surely your back four should be protected. Time after time, Jazz Richards was caught out and Jay Tabb and co took advantage.

Kit needs to wake up and realise that we are drifting away as a club. There's no passion, communication or a game plan. If we're playing a long ball game then why was Matt Smith allowed to leave? If Ruiz left, who was ready to replace him? There's no answer for either question. We're lifeless and clueless, the club has no direction from top to bottom and it shows. Even Ipswich fans on the journey home apologised that I had to witness the demise of my own club.

As much as I hated the merry go round of last season with our managers, it's time to pull the plug in my eyes. You need experience and passion in this division and we lack both, on the pitch and off it. While Kit is a club legend, his understanding of the game and ability to influence a match are missing.

This could have all been avoided if the club either stuck with Rene after backing him last year, or appointed someone with credibility after Felix was sacked - Neil Lennon, Tony Pulis or Steve Clarke, all of whom would have been a better choice. They would have made us a stronger team from back to front and would have solidified our position this season much sooner, but now we are still looking over our shoulder at relegation.

This may make for a depressing read but the reality is that our club is a mess with or without Felix Magath and this season could even get worse. I sympathise with the rest of the Fulham faithful and I thank the guys and girls who follow our club all over the country.

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/the_craven_corner_time_for_fulham_to_pull_the_plug_on_symons_1_3957881

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

Matt Smith was on target again on Saturday but Bristol City squandered a one-goal lead as they lost 3-1 at home to Sheffield United.

The imposing striker broke the deadlock four minutes before half-time when he got on the end of Luke Freeman's cross, but the Blades were level on 54 minutes when Matt Done bundled the ball in after Jason Holt had seen his shot saved.

Done got his and United's second on 77 minutes as he got on the end of Jamie Murphy's cross, before Murphy wrapped the result up shortly after.

Despite the defeat, Bristol City remain at the summit of Sky Bet League One as the top-three all lost at the weekend.

At the other end of the division, Yeovil Town slipped back to last place following their 3-0 defeat away to Doncaster Rovers.

Stephen Arthurworrey played the full 90 minutes against Rovers, who took the lead on 22 minutes through Nathan Tyson.

Second half goals from Dean Furman and Kyle Bennett cemented victory and sent Yeovil back to 24th spot after Leyton Orient won their match with Chesterfield.

In League Two, Josh Passley played the first 45 minutes of Portsmouth's 1-0 win over Exeter City at Fratton Park.

The full-back went close to opening the scoring midway through the first half, but saw his curling strike hit the crossbar.

Jed Wallace then missed a penalty for the hosts after the restart, but made amends with the winner in the 90th minute to move Pompey seven points clear of the relegation zone.

On Friday in Germany, Thomas Eisfeld played 79 minutes of VfL Bochum's 3-2 home victory against Eintracht Braunschweig.

The visitors took an early lead through Mirko Boland, but Bochum responded with Simon Terrode's brace and a Marco Terrazzino strike, before Benjamin Kessel's goal ensured a nervy finale.

But Bochum held on to claim the three points and remain 12th in the 2. Bundesliga.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/16/loan-round-up?

WhiteJC

Fulham youngster George Williams set to return to former club MK Dons on loan till the end of the season
Fulham youngster George Williams is set to join MK Dons on loan
The Welsh international moved to Craven Cottage from MK Dons in 2012
Williams has struggled for regular starts of late and could leave the club
Karl Robinson is hoping the midfielder will be keen on a return to the club

MK Dons are set to sign Fulham youngster George Williams on loan until the end of the season.

The Wales international, 19, began his career at the League One club before leaving for Craven Cottage in 2012 after making just two senior starts.

And MK Dons manager Karl Robinson has moved to re-sign the teenager on a temporary deal.

Fulham's Welsh international midfielder George Williams is set for a loan move to League One outfit MK Dons
Williams has struggled for regular starts of late, and Robinson is keen to take advantage of the uncertainty.

Williams has five caps for Wales and made his debut against Holland after he was called up to the squad as a replacement for Real Madrid winger Gareth Bale.

He came on in the 70th minute of the game as a substitute for Crystal Palace ace Jonathan Williams.

Williams has struggled for regular starts of late and MK Dons boss Karl Robinson is hoping to agree a deal

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2955667/Fulham-youngster-George-Williams-set-return-former-club-MK-Dons-loan-till-end-season.html#ixzz3RvkCxjjz
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Edun & Nabay Secure Draw

Fulham youngsters Tayo Edun and Foday Nabay both featured for England Under-17s in their 1-1 draw against Portugal in the Algarve Tournament on Sunday.

Left-back Edun played the full 80 minutes of the encounter, while central midfielder Nabay came on at half-time in place of Wolverhampton Wanderers' Connor Ronan.

The Young Lions went in front on 26 minutes when attacking midfielder Marcus Edwards floated in a free-kick that Portugal goalkeeper Felipe Dinis could only parry towards Andre Green. He headed the ball back across goal towards Tottenham Hotspur forward Kaziah Sterling who bravely nodded in.

The hosts equalised quarter of an hour into the second half in unusual circumstances. Leeds United goalkeeper William Huffer was penalised by the referee for holding onto the ball for too long, and so Portugal were awarded an indirect free-kick in the penalty area. Huffer saved the subsequent shot that came in after the ball was laid off, but Goncala Vieira was on hand to turn the rebound in.

The performance and result was a massive improvement on their opening fixture on Friday, when they were on the wrong end of a 7-0 scoreline versus the Netherlands.

Edun didn't feature in that game, but Nabay played the first half. A Javairo Dilrosum hat-trick and goals from Rashaan Fernandes, Teun Bijleveld and Jay-Roy Grot, along with a Cameron Humphreys own goal, did the damage.

England's final match sees them take on Germany on Tuesday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/16/edun-and-nabay-secure-draw?

WhiteJC

Fulham still rebuilding, says manager Kit Symons

Fulham manager Kit Symons has admitted his side are still a work in progress after a recent dip in form.

After taking charge in September, he guided the Whites from bottom of the Championship to a place in mid-table.

However, they have lost three of their last four league games and are now only five points above the relegation zone.

"Confidence is still quite fragile. There is a lot of work still to be done and that is clear for everyone to see," Symons told BBC London 94.9.

Fulham had only taken one point from the previous seven games, when Symons took charge on an interim basis following the sacking of Felix Magath.

The 43-year-old won five of his first nine games in charge and was confirmed as manager in October on a deal until the summer of 2016.

"When I first took over it was about steadying the ship, galvanising and getting everything together," Symons said.

"We did that and that went quite well. It is about rebuilding now and rebuilding is the tough bit, given where we had to come from. We need to get on with it and do better, without a doubt."

The west London club were 14th in the table, and 11 points above the bottom three, after beating Nottingham Forest last month, but they have dropped to 19th after taking just one point from the last 12.

"We've always been closer to the bottom than we have to the top at any stage since I took over," the former Wales international added.

"We are in a bit of a scrap at the moment and we need to roll our sleeves up and fight.

"When things start going against us, I think collectively we need to get together, calm down, still look to get on the ball and pass it in the right areas of the pitch - without giving it away stupidly."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31490865

WhiteJC

Symons admits to 'fragile' Fulham

Fulham boss Kit Symons says confidence is 'fragile' in his side following a disappointing run of results in the Championship.

A 2-1 defeat to Ipswich in their last outing has seen Fulham go four games without a win, with the Cottagers now sat down in 19th place in the table.

Having taken over from the German Felix Magath, Symons made a positive start with five wins in his first nine games to take his team off the bottom of the table.

However without a win in four, Symons has admitted his side are still a work in progress. He told BBC London 94.9: "Confidence is still quite fragile. There is a lot of work still to be done and that is clear for everyone to see.

"When I first took over it was about steadying the ship, galvanising and getting everything together. "We did that and that went quite well.

It is about rebuilding now and rebuilding is the tough bit, given where we had to come from. We need to get on with it and do better, without a doubt."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/championship/symons-admits-to-fragile-fulham-1759179.html?

WhiteJC

Why we should keep the faith in Kit Symons
by FPTAYLOR on FEBRUARY 16, 2015

After the 2-1 defeat courtesy of Ipswich on Saturday afternoon, Kit Symons' honeymoon period was clearly over, finished and kaput. Fulham are now on a run of six games without a win in all competitions, or four in the league if you want to ignore the draw and defeat to Premier League opposition in Sunderland. The Welshman is not the first Fulham manager to go on a run of poor form, and won't be the last, but there are certainly some issues that need to be addressed.

The former youth coach stepped in following the sacking of Felix Magath, winning four of his six games as caretaker manager, which ultimately earned him the title of First Team Manager permanently as the committee of five deemed no one else to be a better option. Fulham had begun to play some nice, quick, counter attacking football, alongside games like Bolton and Charlton at home where Fulham had dominated. I think more questions would have been asked had Kit Symons not got the job and the same had played out, but that's just me.

The turn of the year looked promising for Fulham, an impressive performance at Sunderland and two home wins against Reading and Nottingham Forest followed with a loss at Cardiff wedged in between; it seemed the football club were ready to turn a corner and look up the table rather than over the shoulder. Since the turn of the year, Fulham have dropped just the one league spot from 18th on the 25th game week to 19th this, though at one point we peaked at 14th following the win against Nottingham Forest, also our second highest position in the table this season.

Kit Symons has now faced 30 games in charge of Fulham this season, with a win percentage of 36.67%, and there's certainly a development year feel at the football club this season. Kit is in his first period of official management so we must accept mistakes, especially with a lack of experience around him. It's like a young player; which people don't want to admit or recognise, young players should be encouraged when they try something that doesn't pull off, so should young managers – he will make mistakes, he will learn from them. Kit Symons is not stupid, he knows what we now and then some; he will learn and he will develop over the rest of the season, the summer and future years at Fulham or elsewhere.

One of the things that attracted me about Kit Symons was the football he had got the Under-21s playing, especially when you consider that Martin Jol was struggling to pull off a similar style with older and more experienced players. Of course, it helps when you have a great collection of players for that age group but the consistency of that group was exceptional. The 4411 was the formation of choice for Kit Symons, with Cauley Woodrow leading the line and Muamer Tankovi? just behind. Kit oversaw Fulham's Under-21 group go the first 12 games of the season undefeated; as the system would also dip into a 4231 here and there, does that show that Kit is utilising the diamond to get the best of the squad in place?

Felix Magath assembled the squad with the diamond in mind; against Crawley for example, Scott Parker sat in front of the back four with Lasse Vigen Christensen and Ryan Williams starting on the side of him and Chris David behind the two strikers of Cauley Woodrow and Hugo Rodallega. Felix Magath failed to bring in any wide-men (unless you want to count Moroccan Adil Chihi), and thus leaves Kit Symons with little but the diamond. We started with a 442 against Ipswich on Saturday, but we lost all that Lasse Vigen Christensen has to offer, by sacrificing him against the physically impressive Tyrone Mings. You could point the finger at the club failing to bring in a right-sided midfielder, but with bids for Matt Ritchie rejected and links with Ricardo Vaz Te, the club did identify the missing wide-man, but failed to do so, preferring (I presume) to look at the summer transfer window.

Talking of Ipswich, you can't deny that Fulham were poor. From misplacing simple short passes, to launching long balls into largely no one against Ipswich central defenders that ate up every high ball we offered. That showed tactical irresponsibility from Kit's side, especially for a team lacking a target man who will win these balls for us to play off of. We are a team of smaller stature, but technically comfortable players, and keeping the ball on the floor is where we should excel – but at the weekend, Scott Parker and Ryan Tunnicliffe were sloppy with the ball as Fulham lacked an incisive threat. It is sloppiness over the last two weeks that have cost us a comfortable zone over the relegation zone whilst we creep into the upper half of the table.

The football club needs to return to basics again to get themselves out of a torrid run, which will not get any easier with upcoming games at Wolves and Watford whilst also welcoming the visit of Derby. It could take a fluke result to regain morale and positivity that could see us through at the last hurdles. In a division based highly on momentum, Fulham have stagnated since travelling to Sunderland and it's a difficult job for Symons and his young backroom staff to turn it around – which will be a test of their man management skills as well as their coaching. Lets start doing the basics right, circulating the ball sufficiently, defending solidly and peppering the opponents' goal with shots.

Can Kit Symons take us forward? I think he can, what this football club needs is stability, togetherness and a plan; we've barely had any of those in the last two years. The key thing for me is a plan – where do we want to go on a 6-month basis? What style of football do we want to play? Fulham are desperate for a direction. I can sit here for a dozen paragraphs going off on a tangent discussing what I would do to move the football club forward, but that's maybe for another time.

Shahid Khan has begun to construct the upstairs staff that should aid in future success of the football club. Khan moved Alistair Mackintosh into a role where he will thrive, away from the on-pitch workings. For example, the current sponsorship deal with MarathonBet is a club record; more of that is what we want and need from the former accountant. The appointment of Mike Rigg should help the club find their feet in the transfer market, as finding players with the characteristics required will become easier with Rigg's vast scouting knowledge and amassed contacts over his 20 years in football.

Could Kit Symons benefit from the appointment of an experienced coach? I don't know, I suppose it depends on the coach. Ray Lewington complimented Roy Hodgson wonderfully, which led to Ray being Roy's right hand man at International level. Is there a Ray Lewington out there for Kit Symons to use? I'm not convinced. Alan Curbishley who (according to the Daily Mail) rejected our offer to see him overlook Kit Symons in a similar role to when he was here previously could be a shrewd option for the football club; Curbishley was allegedly very impressive when creating opposition preview sheets; though unknown how frequently he got his football boots on.

To conclude, I would back Kit Symons until the end of the season at least, before re-evaluating. Mike Rigg would be in full flow, the players would be better for the yearlong experience and the squad would be more tailored for progress; where we delete memory of Dino Fazlic, Adil Chihi and Elsad Zverotic ever being here. There are other possible exits, which again, is probably best discussed for another post. Obviously some will fear relegation, but I feel we'll creep to safety meaning another sacking would be pointless at this stage. Kit has a lot of learn, the squad needs a bit of tinkering and we perhaps need to be a bit more enduring as supporters – should we be grateful that Kit Symons has dragged us from the depths despite a halt in progress? He can get his team playing nice and attractive football whilst also getting results; his Under-21s showed that, but the bloke just needs a bit of time to get his methods into the players' heads – and our players also need to pick themselves up and be counted for. It is fine playing well when the whole team is, but who is going to get us out of a hole? Who is going to get us points that the club didn't deserve? Kit can't take blame for the weeks of Hugo's anonymity, but he can take the blame for continuing to pick the Colombian despite his weekly disappearances. Another plausible development step perhaps, Hugo may have been amazing in every training session, but still on the training ground on match day; Kit should have reacted. It's been frustrating, I understand and we have underachieved this year, not by much but we have nonetheless. Kit Symons can be trusted until the end of the season, and hopefully the end of his contract – let the man have a real go of it, rather than just reacting to a pre-constructed squad.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2015/02/why-we-should-keep-the-faith-in-kit-symons/?

WhiteJC

Zverotić & Fazlic Depart

Fulham Football Club can confirm that Elsad Zverotić and Dino Fazlic have both left the Club today.

Montenegro international Zverotić joined the Whites in September 2013 and went on to make 21 appearances for the Club. His contract has been terminated by mutual consent.

Fazlic has joined Croatian side NK Zadar on a permanent transfer.

We would like to wish both players all the best in their future endeavours.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/16/zverotic-and-fazlic-depart?

WhiteJC

Williams' MK Dons Loan

The Club can confirm that George Williams has joined MK Dons on a youth loan for the remainder of the 2014/15 season.

The Wales international will be in familiar surroundings in Milton Keynes, having come through the club's academy before making his first team debut as a 16-year-old. And when he found the net against Nantwich Town in the FA Cup, he became the competition's youngest ever scorer.

This season, Williams has made 16 appearances for the Whites, and he will now assist MK Dons' promotion charge in Sky Bet League One, with the team currently sitting one point off the automatic promotion places.

He could make his debut in Tuesday's away match against Colchester United, subject to Football League clearance.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/16/williams-mk-dons-loan?

WhiteJC

Dons swoop for Wales' Williams

MK Dons have re-signed Wales international and former Academy star George Williams on a youth loan from Fulham.
The 19-year-old striker, who made three appearances for the Dons during the 2011/12 season, will spend the remainder of this campaign at stadiummk. He will wear the number 35 shirt and could feature at Colchester United on Tuesday, subject to Football League clearance.

Williams is fondly remembered for scoring on his Dons debut in the 6-0 FA Cup victory over Nantwich Town in November 2011 which, at the age of 16 and two months, made him the Club's youngest-ever goalscorer – a title he still holds to this day.

Dons boss Karl Robinson, who handed Williams that debut, said of the signing: "Seeing George score that goal in the FA Cup was probably one of my proudest moments as manager.

"I was so gutted when he left and I took that really hard because he's a kid who has got everything. By the same token, I am so proud of what he's already gone on to achieve - seeing him play alongside the likes of Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey for Wales for a start.

"For whatever reason he's found himself as a sub for Fulham so we've brought him here to hopefully relight the fire. I'm really excited by this one and he can definitely give us something different."

Williams progressed through the Academy at stadiummk alongside the likes of Dele Alli and Brendan Galloway, before making his first foray into the first-team set up in November 2011 for that FA Cup clash against Nantwich.

The Newport Pagnell-born forward went on to make a further two appearances for Robinson's side before opting to sign a professional deal with then-Premier League outfit Fulham in the summer of 2012.

Scoring regularly for both the Under-18s and Development sides at Craven Cottage, Williams earned himself a call-up to the Wales Under-21 squad in March 2014 before, three months later, being included in the Welsh senior side for their friendly with Holland.

Williams came off the bench in that clash against the Dutch to earn his first international cap in front of 51,000 spectators at the Amsterdam ArenA. He has gone on to feature four more time times for his country, one of which - a 2-1 Euro 2016 qualifying victory over Cyprus - was from the start.

This season, Williams made 16 appearances for Fulham in the Sky Bet Championship, including eight starts. He will now be hoping to add games and goals to that tally during his time back in Milton Keynes.

Read more at http://www.mkdons.com/news/article/dons-re-sign-wales-williams-mk-dons-george-williams-fulham-wales-football-wales-football-transfer-loan-2275395.aspx#KiEOB7V2UZflJARH.99

WhiteJC

International George Williams makes Dons return

Welsh international George Williams has joined the growing list of players to return to MK Dons on loan.

The 19-year-old Fulham striker has rekindled his relationship with Karl Robinson's squad to join for the rest of the season, after leaving stadium:mk back in 2012.

He goes straight into the squad to face Colchester on Tuesday night.

Robinson said: "I remember when George first came into the first team at 15, and he looked every bit a goal scorer. I'm really excited by it, and I think he can give us something different.

"We're just looking forward to welcoming him home, and hopefully benefiting from the fruits of their labour.

"When you look at what some of the youngsters have achieved since leaving here, and we're immensely proud of what they've achieved, but it'll be great for him to achieve something with us.

"He's a great kid with tremendous potential. He's excited by it as well. He still sees it as home, and he's just as excited as us."

Williams' departure two and a half years ago was a shock to many at MK Dons after the promising start to his career.

And for Robinson, it was a real blow to lose a player he felt could have stepped up to the first team in almost no time.

"I was devastated when he left," said the Dons boss. "I felt he had all the components to be a top striker. And we weren't wrong.

"I watched him play for Wales, and thought 'wow, he's really starting to develop' and for Fulham, I knew he was a top player.

"This was an opportunity we were given. Fulham trust us with his development, and I think he's a real good'un. We'll welcome him home with open arms.

"He's Dele's best mate, and the theory between them was that he'd come back and pay a debt to the club that gave him the chance."

Williams made his debut as a 16-year-old, and in scoring against Nantwich Town in the FA Cup, became Dons' youngest ever goal-scorer.

After making appearances against Yeovil and Hartlepool later that season, Williams, from Newport Pagnell, was offered a professional deal at the club, but opted to move to Fulham, then a Premier League side.

Since then, Williams has worked his way through the ranks at Craven Cottage and has earned himself a call up to the Wales squad for the European Championship qualifiers.

Williams joins a growing list of players who have left for pastures new, only to make a return later in their careers.

Keith Andrews returned to stadium:mk after eight years away last month, Dele Alli completed a move to Tottenham on transfer deadline day and was loaned back, goalkeeper David Martin is a first team regular, while Izale McLeod and Jason Puncheon have all made reappearances in Dons' shirts after departing.

And that's a positive sign for the club, according to Robinson.

He said: "With Keith Andrews coming back, Dele Alli returning to us on loan, and now George Williams - it shows we do have a history now. Players leave but want to come back. And people say never come back..."

http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/mk-dons/international-george-williams-makes-dons-return-1-6583318

Fulham1959

Quote from: WhiteJC on February 16, 2015, 07:26:12 PM

After the 2-1 defeat courtesy of Ipswich on Saturday afternoon, Kit Symons' honeymoon period was clearly over, finished and kaput. Fulham are now on a run of six games without a win in all competitions, or four in the league if you want to ignore the draw and defeat to Premier League opposition in Sunderland. The Welshman is not the first Fulham manager to go on a run of poor form, and won't be the last, but there are certainly some issues that need to be addressed.

The former youth coach stepped in following the sacking of Felix Magath, winning four of his six games as caretaker manager, which ultimately earned him the title of First Team Manager permanently as the committee of five deemed no one else to be a better option. Fulham had begun to play some nice, quick, counter attacking football, alongside games like Bolton and Charlton at home where Fulham had dominated. I think more questions would have been asked had Kit Symons not got the job and the same had played out, but that's just me.

The turn of the year looked promising for Fulham, an impressive performance at Sunderland and two home wins against Reading and Nottingham Forest followed with a loss at Cardiff wedged in between; it seemed the football club were ready to turn a corner and look up the table rather than over the shoulder. Since the turn of the year, Fulham have dropped just the one league spot from 18th on the 25th game week to 19th this, though at one point we peaked at 14th following the win against Nottingham Forest, also our second highest position in the table this season.

Kit Symons has now faced 30 games in charge of Fulham this season, with a win percentage of 36.67%, and there's certainly a development year feel at the football club this season. Kit is in his first period of official management so we must accept mistakes, especially with a lack of experience around him. It's like a young player; which people don't want to admit or recognise, young players should be encouraged when they try something that doesn't pull off, so should young managers – he will make mistakes, he will learn from them. Kit Symons is not stupid, he knows what we now and then some; he will learn and he will develop over the rest of the season, the summer and future years at Fulham or elsewhere.

One of the things that attracted me about Kit Symons was the football he had got the Under-21s playing, especially when you consider that Martin Jol was struggling to pull off a similar style with older and more experienced players. Of course, it helps when you have a great collection of players for that age group but the consistency of that group was exceptional. The 4411 was the formation of choice for Kit Symons, with Cauley Woodrow leading the line and Muamer Tankovi? just behind. Kit oversaw Fulham's Under-21 group go the first 12 games of the season undefeated; as the system would also dip into a 4231 here and there, does that show that Kit is utilising the diamond to get the best of the squad in place?

Felix Magath assembled the squad with the diamond in mind; against Crawley for example, Scott Parker sat in front of the back four with Lasse Vigen Christensen and Ryan Williams starting on the side of him and Chris David behind the two strikers of Cauley Woodrow and Hugo Rodallega. Felix Magath failed to bring in any wide-men (unless you want to count Moroccan Adil Chihi), and thus leaves Kit Symons with little but the diamond. We started with a 442 against Ipswich on Saturday, but we lost all that Lasse Vigen Christensen has to offer, by sacrificing him against the physically impressive Tyrone Mings. You could point the finger at the club failing to bring in a right-sided midfielder, but with bids for Matt Ritchie rejected and links with Ricardo Vaz Te, the club did identify the missing wide-man, but failed to do so, preferring (I presume) to look at the summer transfer window.

Talking of Ipswich, you can't deny that Fulham were poor. From misplacing simple short passes, to launching long balls into largely no one against Ipswich central defenders that ate up every high ball we offered. That showed tactical irresponsibility from Kit's side, especially for a team lacking a target man who will win these balls for us to play off of. We are a team of smaller stature, but technically comfortable players, and keeping the ball on the floor is where we should excel – but at the weekend, Scott Parker and Ryan Tunnicliffe were sloppy with the ball as Fulham lacked an incisive threat. It is sloppiness over the last two weeks that have cost us a comfortable zone over the relegation zone whilst we creep into the upper half of the table.

The football club needs to return to basics again to get themselves out of a torrid run, which will not get any easier with upcoming games at Wolves and Watford whilst also welcoming the visit of Derby. It could take a fluke result to regain morale and positivity that could see us through at the last hurdles. In a division based highly on momentum, Fulham have stagnated since travelling to Sunderland and it's a difficult job for Symons and his young backroom staff to turn it around – which will be a test of their man management skills as well as their coaching. Lets start doing the basics right, circulating the ball sufficiently, defending solidly and peppering the opponents' goal with shots.

Can Kit Symons take us forward? I think he can, what this football club needs is stability, togetherness and a plan; we've barely had any of those in the last two years. The key thing for me is a plan – where do we want to go on a 6-month basis? What style of football do we want to play? Fulham are desperate for a direction. I can sit here for a dozen paragraphs going off on a tangent discussing what I would do to move the football club forward, but that's maybe for another time.

Shahid Khan has begun to construct the upstairs staff that should aid in future success of the football club. Khan moved Alistair Mackintosh into a role where he will thrive, away from the on-pitch workings. For example, the current sponsorship deal with MarathonBet is a club record; more of that is what we want and need from the former accountant. The appointment of Mike Rigg should help the club find their feet in the transfer market, as finding players with the characteristics required will become easier with Rigg's vast scouting knowledge and amassed contacts over his 20 years in football.

Could Kit Symons benefit from the appointment of an experienced coach? I don't know, I suppose it depends on the coach. Ray Lewington complimented Roy Hodgson wonderfully, which led to Ray being Roy's right hand man at International level. Is there a Ray Lewington out there for Kit Symons to use? I'm not convinced. Alan Curbishley who (according to the Daily Mail) rejected our offer to see him overlook Kit Symons in a similar role to when he was here previously could be a shrewd option for the football club; Curbishley was allegedly very impressive when creating opposition preview sheets; though unknown how frequently he got his football boots on.

To conclude, I would back Kit Symons until the end of the season at least, before re-evaluating. Mike Rigg would be in full flow, the players would be better for the yearlong experience and the squad would be more tailored for progress; where we delete memory of Dino Fazlic, Adil Chihi and Elsad Zverotic ever being here. There are other possible exits, which again, is probably best discussed for another post. Obviously some will fear relegation, but I feel we'll creep to safety meaning another sacking would be pointless at this stage. Kit has a lot of learn, the squad needs a bit of tinkering and we perhaps need to be a bit more enduring as supporters – should we be grateful that Kit Symons has dragged us from the depths despite a halt in progress? He can get his team playing nice and attractive football whilst also getting results; his Under-21s showed that, but the bloke just needs a bit of time to get his methods into the players' heads – and our players also need to pick themselves up and be counted for. It is fine playing well when the whole team is, but who is going to get us out of a hole? Who is going to get us points that the club didn't deserve? Kit can't take blame for the weeks of Hugo's anonymity, but he can take the blame for continuing to pick the Colombian despite his weekly disappearances. Another plausible development step perhaps, Hugo may have been amazing in every training session, but still on the training ground on match day; Kit should have reacted. It's been frustrating, I understand and we have underachieved this year, not by much but we have nonetheless. Kit Symons can be trusted until the end of the season, and hopefully the end of his contract – let the man have a real go of it, rather than just reacting to a pre-constructed squad.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2015/02/why-we-should-keep-the-faith-in-kit-symons/?

A nicely-measured piece.

terryr

Quote from: Fulham1959 on February 17, 2015, 03:21:45 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on February 16, 2015, 07:26:12 PM

After the 2-1 defeat courtesy of Ipswich on Saturday afternoon, Kit Symons’ honeymoon period was clearly over, finished and kaput. Fulham are now on a run of six games without a win in all competitions, or four in the league if you want to ignore the draw and defeat to Premier League opposition in Sunderland. The Welshman is not the first Fulham manager to go on a run of poor form, and won’t be the last, but there are certainly some issues that need to be addressed.

The former youth coach stepped in following the sacking of Felix Magath, winning four of his six games as caretaker manager, which ultimately earned him the title of First Team Manager permanently as the committee of five deemed no one else to be a better option. Fulham had begun to play some nice, quick, counter attacking football, alongside games like Bolton and Charlton at home where Fulham had dominated. I think more questions would have been asked had Kit Symons not got the job and the same had played out, but that’s just me.

Kit Symons has now faced 30 games in charge of Fulham this season, with a win percentage of 36.67%, and there’s certainly a development year feel at the football club this season. Kit is in his first period of official management so we must accept mistakes, especially with a lack of experience around him. It’s like a young player; which people don’t want to admit or recognise, young players should be encouraged when they try something that doesn’t pull off, so should young managers – he will make mistakes, he will learn from them. Kit Symons is not stupid, he knows what we now and then some; he will learn and he will develop over the rest of the season, the summer and future years at Fulham or elsewhere.

One of the things that attracted me about Kit Symons was the football he had got the Under-21s playing, especially when you consider that Martin Jol was struggling to pull off a similar style with older and more experienced players. Of course, it helps when you have a great collection of players for that age group but the consistency of that group was exceptional. The 4411 was the formation of choice for Kit Symons, with Cauley Woodrow leading the line and Muamer Tankovi? just behind. Kit oversaw Fulham’s Under-21 group go the first 12 games of the season undefeated; as the system would also dip into a 4231 here and there, does that show that Kit is utilising the diamond to get the best of the squad in place?

Talking of Ipswich, you can’t deny that Fulham were poor. From misplacing simple short passes, to launching long balls into largely no one against Ipswich central defenders that ate up every high ball we offered. That showed tactical irresponsibility from Kit’s side, especially for a team lacking a target man who will win these balls for us to play off of. We are a team of smaller stature, but technically comfortable players, and keeping the ball on the floor is where we should excel – but at the weekend, Scott Parker and Ryan Tunnicliffe were sloppy with the ball as Fulham lacked an incisive threat. It is sloppiness over the last two weeks that have cost us a comfortable zone over the relegation zone whilst we creep into the upper half of the table.

The football club needs to return to basics again to get themselves out of a torrid run, which will not get any easier with upcoming games at Wolves and Watford whilst also welcoming the visit of Derby. It could take a fluke result to regain morale and positivity that could see us through at the last hurdles. In a division based highly on momentum, Fulham have stagnated since travelling to Sunderland and it’s a difficult job for Symons and his young backroom staff to turn it around – which will be a test of their man management skills as well as their coaching. Lets start doing the basics right, circulating the ball sufficiently, defending solidly and peppering the opponents’ goal with shots.

Can Kit Symons take us forward? I think he can, what this football club needs is stability, togetherness and a plan; we’ve barely had any of those in the last two years. The key thing for me is a plan – where do we want to go on a 6-month basis? What style of football do we want to play? Fulham are desperate for a direction. I can sit here for a dozen paragraphs going off on a tangent discussing what I would do to move the football club forward, but that’s maybe for another time.

Shahid Khan has begun to construct the upstairs staff that should aid in future success of the football club. Khan moved Alistair Mackintosh into a role where he will thrive, away from the on-pitch workings. For example, the current sponsorship deal with MarathonBet is a club record; more of that is what we want and need from the former accountant. The appointment of Mike Rigg should help the club find their feet in the transfer market, as finding players with the characteristics required will become easier with Rigg’s vast scouting knowledge and amassed contacts over his 20 years in football.

Could Kit Symons benefit from the appointment of an experienced coach? I don’t know, I suppose it depends on the coach. Ray Lewington complimented Roy Hodgson wonderfully, which led to Ray being Roy’s right hand man at International level. Is there a Ray Lewington out there for Kit Symons to use? I’m not convinced. Alan Curbishley who (according to the Daily Mail) rejected our offer to see him overlook Kit Symons in a similar role to when he was here previously could be a shrewd option for the football club; Curbishley was allegedly very impressive when creating opposition preview sheets; though unknown how frequently he got his football boots on.

To conclude, I would back Kit Symons until the end of the season at least, before re-evaluating. Mike Rigg would be in full flow, the players would be better for the yearlong experience and the squad would be more tailored for progress; where we delete memory of Dino Fazlic, Adil Chihi and Elsad Zverotic ever being here. There are other possible exits, which again, is probably best discussed for another post. Obviously some will fear relegation, but I feel we’ll creep to safety meaning another sacking would be pointless at this stage. Kit has a lot of learn, the squad needs a bit of tinkering and we perhaps need to be a bit more enduring as supporters – should we be grateful that Kit Symons has dragged us from the depths despite a halt in progress? He can get his team playing nice and attractive football whilst also getting results; his Under-21s showed that, but the bloke just needs a bit of time to get his methods into the players’ heads – and our players also need to pick themselves up and be counted for. It is fine playing well when the whole team is, but who is going to get us out of a hole? Who is going to get us points that the club didn’t deserve? Kit can’t take blame for the weeks of Hugo’s anonymity, but he can take the blame for continuing to pick the Colombian despite his weekly disappearances. Another plausible development step perhaps, Hugo may have been amazing in every training session, but still on the training ground on match day; Kit should have reacted. It’s been frustrating, I understand and we have underachieved this year, not by much but we have nonetheless. Kit Symons can be trusted until the end of the season, and hopefully the end of his contract – let the man have a real go of it, rather than just reacting to a pre-constructed squad.

A nicely-measured piece.
It still doesn't convince me.
Time is running out and with Kit we are an academy squad with no plan B