more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jimmy Conway Testimonial

Started by White Noise, July 11, 2010, 11:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

a BIG THANK YOU WN.

In the same vein as Ed is with Les, and notwithstanding the maestro himself, Jimmy was, and always will be my star player.

It's good to see his bio, and his successes since leaving the UK. I wish him all the best.

White Noise

No worries. Sadly he has apparently been diagnosed with trauma-induced dementia. There are several fundraising events planned over the next few months to raise awareness and aid more research. You can also leave any best wishes messages you want on the site above.

I never saw him play Logicalman; where do you think he rates in terms of wingers you have seen at Fulham?

There a couple more links here -

http://www.oregonyouthsoccer.org/assets/news/JC_Testimonial.pdf

http://www.facebook.com/jimmyconwayjct

And a nice pic from the first site here -

Lighthouse

For those of a certain age Conway on the Wing and later in midfield, crossed from the Haynes era
to the Cup Final. He played over 350 times scoring 76 goals. Conway made his debut in 1966 and scored a great goal against Wolves in a League Cup game. Have to admit that I had forgotten he played at right back in the days of our double relegation. However he was a great Fulham player and will be best remembered for his wing play.

Conway moved to Manchester City and ended his footballing career in North America. He played International football for Eire and his brother John played for us and his son went on to play Pro football to. Jimmy Conway was one of the reasons why watching Fulham became a habit. A true Fulham great. Hope nothing but good wishes for the Charity, his family and Jimmy himself.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

CorkedHat

In my opinion - if it counts for anything - Jimmy Conway ranks as the number three winger in my almost 60 years of following Fulham. Graham Leggat was the best, Les Barrett was second, Jimmy third and Arthur Stevens fourth.
That afternoon against Northampton when Jimmy almost single handedly saved us from relegation is etched in the canyons of my mind. God Bless you Jimmy - you were a real hero :clap_hands:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Teabag

Jimmy Conway, Les Barrett and Steve Earle - what a great, and very quick, strike force. Jimmy Conway lost his bottle after a bad tackle from some thug playing for Doncaster or Darlington, can't remember which. After that he wouldn't go near a tackle. But a great winger.

Logicalman

Not having the advantage of advanced years as Corkie there I cannot answer to the more golden oldies of the club, but I would however concur as to the Barrett / Conway legacy, and at risk of Ed bouncing my chin off his knuckles next month, I would actually put Jimmy above Les.

To my mind, he had the same style as sniffer in so many ways, both arriving at the cottage in the same year, and really came more into his own after the latter moved on teaming up more with Les on the opposite wing, causing all sorts of torment.

I have always planned on getting over to the West coast at some time and shaking Jimmy by the hand and personally thanking him for those great memories. By all accounts though, he seemed to turn his back on English football when he left Citeh, and embraced the colonial lifestyle bringing his well-earned reputation and great skills to a nation that desperately needed them, and I have very little doubt, due to his participation in the pacific school area, was one of the few that laid the foundations for the upcoming US players of the late 80's and 90's.

Thanks Jimmy for all you did for Fulham mate. Total respect.

Logicalman

Quote from: Teabag on July 12, 2010, 01:49:24 PM
Jimmy Conway, Les Barrett and Steve Earle - what a great, and very quick, strike force. Jimmy Conway lost his bottle after a bad tackle from some thug playing for Doncaster or Darlington, can't remember which. After that he wouldn't go near a tackle. But a great winger.

Hey JC, certain you could do something with this picture in the right vein ....

WhiteJC

Quote from: Logicalman on July 12, 2010, 05:33:28 PM
Quote from: Teabag on July 12, 2010, 01:49:24 PM

Hey JC, certain you could do something with this picture in the right vein ....

I'm in Cornwall until the end of the week, I'll see what I can when I get back to my 'proper' computer  :dft012:

CorkCity

When im asked who is Fulhams greatest all time player I always answer Jimmy Conway, he was my first hero watching Fulham, loved watching him fly up and down the wing. We used to sit on the sloping wall between the Hammersith End and the Stevenage Rd stand, Jimmy would always acknowledge us when he used to take the corners. Jimmy made us feel part of the club.
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

LBNo11

...a truly great winger and goal provider who complimented Les on the other wing, and every now and again they would cross over wings in the middle of the park and confuse the bejassus out of the opposition. A magical player who did so much for Fulham.

"We've got Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Conway on the wing, on the wing,
We've got Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Conway on the wing, on the wing,
Jimmy, Jimmy Conway, Jimmy Conway on the wing,
Jimmy, Jimmy Conway, Jimmy Conway on the wing"

Good luck Jimmy...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

CorkedHat

Quote from: LBNo11 on July 13, 2010, 04:21:45 PM
...a truly great winger and goal provider who complimented Les on the other wing, and every now and again they would cross over wings in the middle of the park and confuse the bejassus out of the opposition. A magical player who did so much for Fulham.

[

How did he compliment him? "I say, Jimmy, yoú're looking real sharp today. I love your haircut. I reckon you are the best player in the team."  :011: :011:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us