News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

50 years today since my first ever Fulham match: Fulham 4 Tottenham 1.

Started by Snibbo, February 19, 2015, 01:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snibbo

bobbo

I'll reply to YA mate if no one else will, it's good you can remember it my first one was 1956 and I can't remember who we played but I know we won . And the I didn't go again till 1958 but been pretty regular since, I like your comment on the swinging sixties ---- me too
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Black, White and Fred

3rd Feb 1996 lost to Torquay 2-1. I was aged 6 and that game has been discribed as the lowest moment in our history. So its all been onwards and upwards since. Well sometimes sideways as well.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

Old timer

Congratulations on your 50th. My first was in 1954 against Blackburn at the Cottage which we won.
A bunch of us boys with one of the Fathers used to go on a regular basis to Fulham and that other team. I wonder why some of us continued with Fulham and others preferred going to Fulham Broadway!
Anyway do any of you out there remember playing as kids on Eelbrook Common around the mid 50's ?

The Old Count

September 28 1963.  V Bolton.  3 - 1 to us.

Born up the road so it was either Fulham or Chelsea.  Luckily I was not swayed by the dark side.

Congratulations on 50 years of pain and pleasure.

brightster

Congratulation Snibbo, my 42nd year on 24th March 1973 (day before my 50th birthday), we lost in the league 1-2 to the Sunderland team that went on to win the FA Cup that year.

bog

I was at that one. Our best ever result v them. Johnny Key scored twice. What a result that was!!!  :Haynes The Maestro:

092.gif

Fernhurst

50 years today since my first ever Fulham match: Fulham 4 Tottenham 1.

Interesting Snibbo and congratulations.
Never really thought too much before now, but encouraged me to do the arithmetic. Lots of guys have done longer stretches with no time off for good behaviour.
I have loved supporting Fulham....with all it's up's and down.  It's part of me.
Having almost lost the club in the eighties, all the ramifications of managerial changes pale into insignificance.

From peanut sellers and slightly embarrassed polite clapping when a penalty scored to 5 ft leaps in the air with double tuck and pike with scream attached when tripped. Seen it and experienced it all.

18th September 2015 will be the anniversary of my first match v Ipswich in 1957 0-0 draw.

58 years.

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

domprague

Congrats to you, Snibbo. My first was a win against Sunderland when I was tiny. The first one I remember is the win over Hereford in 76-77. After one of his goals, Rodney Marsh slid on his knees towards the crowd and, when it was shown on The Big Match the next day, you could see our little group of boys and Dads clear enough to recognise us.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Tonywa

Quote from: bog on February 19, 2015, 09:40:06 AM
I was at that one. Our best ever result v them. Johnny Key scored twice. What a result that was!!!  :Haynes The Maestro:

092.gif

Seem to remember Johnny Key cutting in  from the right wing, turning inside and unleashing an unstoppable shot with his left foot for one of his goals.  Great stuff. My first game, as a child, was in February 1962 when we scored a lucky 1-0 over Port Vale in our run to the FA Cup Semi-Final.

cmg

Well done. You certainly picked a cracker. And you've stayed the distance, despite it being (mostly) downhill all the way since then!

I would have been playing that day, so wasn't present, but I see Jimmy Greaves scored the Spurs goal (Cook and Marsh were our other scorers).
Got me thinking that Greaves seemed to score every time I saw him play against us. No surprise there: he was the greatest English goalscorer of the post-war era. A little research shows that he scored 12 in the 15 league games he had against us.

This fascinating web page http://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-fulham/vereinsschreck/verein/931/saison_id/2014 shows that, of recent players, Wayne Rooney has matched that number (albeit in 23 goes). The list mostly includes the usual suspects, with one name unexpected - until you remember the two hat-tricks he got against us.

Can anyone come up with a name to rival the 12s of Greaves and Rooney from the pre-2000 period not covered by Transfermarkt?
These figures are League only - if Cups are included you could add at least 5 to Robbie Fowler's total!

nose

i cannot actually remember the first game i went to but i do remember the 4 1 win.... what a great day that was

JHaynes Paperboy

Quote from: Snibbo on February 19, 2015, 01:20:28 AM
I suppose I expected more of the same  :012:
My first game was September 15th 1962 Lost 1-3 Arsenal, I suppose I expected more of the same and got it!

ron

Quote from: bog on February 19, 2015, 09:40:06 AM

092.gif

Me too. I was on the old riverside terrace. Cook and Haynes were the other 2 if I remember rightly without a trip to the loft to see the progs !

One of the Key goals was a 25 yarder from the right hand corner of the pen area at the Hammersmith end, which beat Bill Brown at the far post.

I'm truly amazed that I can remember these details after 50 years, and yet can't remember what I was doing yesterday !

....possibly because I had fewer yesterdays to remember in those days !!

ron

Sorry TonyWa, just saw you recorded it first !    It must have been good if it had that impression on two of us !!!

georgiajohn

If its the game I am thinking of Rodneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee almost did an Ali shuffle in front of one of the spurs players, who then proceeded to dump Marsh on the floor, Marsh got up held the guys hand as though he was going to shake it, then bent over and kissed the guys boots, even the Spurs fans were killing themselves in laughter. Great days, when the game was bigger than the money, and we actually enjoyed the game for the game itself.

Was not my first game at CC that was in 1953, but do recall a very very cold cup tie where the field was more like a skating rink than a football pitch, and I nearly got my knee caught in the railings on the Thames side, it was very cold.

ron

A thing I do remember about that game is that Dave Mackay was unceremoniously dumped on the red ash path that surrounded the ground at that time, and finished the game with a red stained blue shirt.....

...and the fact that I went in to school and wrote "Fulham 4 Spurs 1" on the blackboard in my form room on the Monday morning for registration....which was greeted in silence by my mainly Spurs-supporting classmates.....