News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fans often don't know best. Don't listen to them.

Started by Whiteroom, February 18, 2015, 09:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiteroom

I remember when Felix left, and Kit had had about 10 games in charge there was an overwhelming tide of opinion if favour of appointing Kit straight away. He was the fans' no.1 guy, and hailed, with chants of "we've got our Fulham back", as the saviour of the club. I really think that the pressure from the fans had an effect on the decision of the club to give him the job. In retrospect, I think it was a case of collective naivety. Yes, he was doing well, but anyone would have improved the mood after the departure of a lunatic. Kit is Fulham, he is a good guy, but he is totally inexperienced. It was a risky appointment, driven by the fans. The weight of opinion is now fairly against Kit, and I don't think this puts us in a very strong position to hope our views are listened to in the future.

MJG

We had a vote on here yesterday and it was running at slightly over 52% in favour of Kit,  so hardly all against him.

Whiteroom

Quote from: MJG on February 18, 2015, 09:33:51 AM
We had a vote on here yesterday and it was running at slightly over 52% in favour of Kit,  so hardly all against him.
I think that serves my point quite well. A huge number people people have swung from a yes, to a no. Almost half saying that they want rid of Kit is hugely significant.

RaySmith

The 5 man panel also decided that Kit was the best man for the job out of the available candidates.

Danny Murphy spoke in favour of Kit on the radio, and the overwhelming consensus was for Kit.

The truth is that no manager can guarantee success, or that the team will not have a  bad run - money is the only thing that can pretty well guarantee it

westcliff white

Every day is a Fulham day

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Whiteroom on February 18, 2015, 09:23:33 AM
I remember when Felix left, and Kit had had about 10 games in charge there was an overwhelming tide of opinion if favour of appointing Kit straight away. He was the fans' no.1 guy, and hailed, with chants of "we've got our Fulham back", as the saviour of the club. I really think that the pressure from the fans had an effect on the decision of the club to give him the job. In retrospect, I think it was a case of collective naivety. Yes, he was doing well, but anyone would have improved the mood after the departure of a lunatic. Kit is Fulham, he is a good guy, but he is totally inexperienced. It was a risky appointment, driven by the fans. The weight of opinion is now fairly against Kit, and I don't think this puts us in a very strong position to hope our views are listened to in the future.

Thanks for the advice. I won't bother listening to you.

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: RaySmith on February 18, 2015, 09:47:14 AMThe truth is that no manager can guarantee success, or that the team will not have a  bad run - money is the only thing that can pretty well guarantee it

Indeed, and QPR are proving money can't guarantee it either
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Roberty

Quote from: RaySmith on February 18, 2015, 09:47:14 AM
The 5 man panel also decided that Kit was the best man for the job out of the available candidates.

Danny Murphy spoke in favour of Kit on the radio, and the overwhelming consensus was for Kit.

The truth is that no manager can guarantee success, or that the team will not have a  bad run - money is the only thing that can pretty well guarantee it

Once the season had kicked off and within 8 games we had gone from promotion near favourites to relegation candidates it was already too late to make major changes and the best that could be hoped for was that a new manager would come in and steady the ship.

In the closed season the management could sell the hopes and aspirations we all have for our club but good players are not going to jump onto a sinking ship to man the pumps and I am struggling to think of a worthwhile signing that we missed out on during the last window.

The time for change is in the summer and hopefully Kit can improve the players confidence and get us there without our suffering another demotion.

At that point everything can be changed and SK can invest to set us on course for what hopefully will be a more successful season.

It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

colcliff

I'm  not sure if kit is totally the right man for the job 
but just getting someone who has done well at another club is also no guarantee of success
I feel at the moment the club needs some stability there is a possibility that this may back fire and cost us
but who can say what can happen no one can predict how any manager is going to do
but I feel at this moment to change managers again may be a mistake
we keep on that the young players are not living up,to expectations  but nothing unsettles young players more than keep getting different managers with different approaches   

Apprentice to the Maestro

Who were the alternatives? None of the other names mentioned were inspiring.

It is easy to say that the current manager was the wrong choice but rather more difficult to come up with even just a viable alternative. The five man panel couldn't.

RaySmith

Reply to TwoTon Ted-

I said 'pretty well guarantee it' and I think generally success in football is commensurate with the money clubs have to spend on players.

We ourselves only got to the Prem because of MAF's money, and it was when he began to withdraw his funding that we began to fail.

nose

Regarding the OP there are always a large number of people in any walk of life who sway with the breeze.
There are a few others that try and think a bit harder about a subject and come to a more considered conclusion.

The fans views are vitally important and in many instances do knw what's best or rather can see that all is not well and action needs to be taken..... the issue is the nature of the action. For me, kit is the man, we are have a poor run and it highlights the deficiencies we have, all we need to do is ensure the management of the club act to get IMO a good or better No2 for Kit and as soon as possible a few better quality players in all the positions we endlessly discuss.

Kit plays the formation he does because of the personnel, not because I think he is in love with it. I do think the people against him need to have a bit of a reality check. He has to stay because a) I think in the long run he will be a tremendous manager and b) because even if he isn't another change now would guarantee league one football!

Lighthouse

CAN WE PLEASE STOP WITH THE LIE - Anybody could NOT have improved the team, the form, the tea making facilities, the mood once the German had gone. By all means give the view that Kit was wrong in the longer term or he was born on the back of a pack of laughing hyenas.

But this constant argument by many that ANYBODY could have improved things is simply not true.

There I said it. Now leave me alone
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MJG

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 18, 2015, 12:52:01 PM
CAN WE PLEASE STOP WITH THE LIE - Anybody could NOT have improved the team, the form, the tea making facilities, the mood once the German had gone. By all means give the view that Kit was wrong in the longer term or he was born on the back of a pack of laughing hyenas.

But this constant argument by many that ANYBODY could have improved things is simply not true.

+1

Scrumpy

Quote from: nose on February 18, 2015, 12:24:58 PM
Regarding the OP there are always a large number of people in any walk of life who sway with the breeze.
There are a few others that try and think a bit harder about a subject and come to a more considered conclusion.

The fans views are vitally important and in many instances do knw what's best or rather can see that all is not well and action needs to be taken..... the issue is the nature of the action. For me, kit is the man, we are have a poor run and it highlights the deficiencies we have, all we need to do is ensure the management of the club act to get IMO a good or better No2 for Kit and as soon as possible a few better quality players in all the positions we endlessly discuss.

Kit plays the formation he does because of the personnel, not because I think he is in love with it. I do think the people against him need to have a bit of a reality check. He has to stay because a) I think in the long run he will be a tremendous manager and b) because even if he isn't another change now would guarantee league one football!

Spot on Sir!  :plus one:
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

nose

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 18, 2015, 12:52:01 PM

i agree with you 100%... no doubt you are correct and I have no truck (what horrible phrase but i am not minded to delete it) with the horrible anti kit sentiment

BUT

It has hard to imagine that anybody could have made it worse than Felix.....

GrahamG

LIE is an awful choice of words. My OPINION is that anybody (with any people skills) could have pulled things round after Felix. Almost certainly, the 'good will' feeling would have worn off in time whoever was put in charge and genuine management skills would have been required to keep momentum. Kit now has that problem and I don't believe he has the skills.

Dodger53

It seems to me the big unknown is what Kit thinks of this team, If he thinks what I think he can say it in private but not in public and maybe not even to the players because of morale etc. If he thinks they are only a game away from world beaters we are in trouble. From what he has said I think he knows they are not good enough and do not have the required quality I think he knows now who he wants to keep and who will go but that was only ever going to happen next year after the terrible start to this season.

Baszab

I know (for a fact) that fans views on this board were DEFINITELY taken into account before KS as appointed - Khan wanted to be seen to be following  the populist course of action

Oakeshott

"there are always a large number of people in any walk of life who sway with the breeze"

Maybe. But there are others who change their opinions in the light of additional evidence.

Over most of the games since just before Christmas Kit has to me looked as clueless as Chris Coleman did towards the end of his period as manager. In saying this I am not concerned about the results, but rather the manner of the performances.

Maybe with our two returning loanees getting better integrated into the side, and the seemingly imminent availability of H and A after their injuries, we will see improvement and I for one don't agree we have a weak squad. Including the four players just referred to,we have a squad well capable, IF PROPERLY MOTIVATED AND MANAGED, of staying in the Championship this season. But if Kit is to survive 'til the end of the season with us still retaining Championship status, we are going to have to see some markedly better performances starting, ideally, on Saturday.