watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Will NFL football come to the Cottage?

Started by GloucesterWhite, February 18, 2015, 04:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarks

The biggest drawback to an NFL team in london isn't the start times, (all Wembley games this year will be 12.30 starts so 9.30am in the USA) it really is the travel.

It would probably mean any UK NFL team playing all regular season games at home one after the other, then all away games one after the other. Teams that come to London have a bye week after to allow them to recover. Also the problem if a London team got in to the playoffs as a home team would also be an issue the way their playoff's are structured.

I recall when they had NFL Europe they played at White Hart Lane, but really it would have to be Wembley for an NFL franchise. Also possible NFL teams to come here would be Jacksonville or Buffalo, both of whom struggle to fill home stadia.

Holders

I just don't see why such a large capacity stadium (rather than pitch) would be required. Surely there aren't that many US ex-pats who'd attend regularly once the novelty has worn off to sustain it?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

King_Crud

Quote from: snarks on February 19, 2015, 09:44:59 AM
The biggest drawback to an NFL team in london isn't the start times, (all Wembley games this year will be 12.30 starts so 9.30am in the USA) it really is the travel.

2 games start at 2:30pm, one of them is 1:30pm, east coast USA is 5 hours behind

snarks

Quote from: King_Crud on February 19, 2015, 11:59:59 AM
Quote from: snarks on February 19, 2015, 09:44:59 AM

2 games start at 2:30pm, one of them is 1:30pm, east coast USA is 5 hours behind

And I've got tickets too, :dft001: still it is October, plenty of time to sort that out all I could remember was Sky saying 9.30 am East coast time (so I never was good with time zones)

Jonaldiniho 88

Would khan have built the worlds biggest screen in Jacksonville if he plans on moving to the uk?

Rupert

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on February 19, 2015, 12:31:36 PM
Would khan have built the worlds biggest screen in Jacksonville if he plans on moving to the uk?

Yes, so the Jacksonville fans can continue to watch games live at their stadium. Just on TV.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Rupert on February 19, 2015, 12:47:13 PM

Yes, so the Jacksonville fans can continue to watch games live at their stadium. Just on TV.

It all makes sense now. It could be an open air cinema the rest of the week.

snarks

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on February 19, 2015, 12:52:20 PM
Quote from: Rupert on February 19, 2015, 12:47:13 PM

It all makes sense now. It could be an open air cinema the rest of the week.

Actually if you read in to Stadia etc for NFL teams, most of the costs are paid by the taxpayer (locally in most cases). Also all the revenue is shared between the 32 teams, it's just divided up, doesn't matter what city you are in.

Khan is actually making money from having a losing NFL team with plenty of Salary cap space.

Roberty

Quote from: Holders on February 19, 2015, 09:54:19 AM
I just don't see why such a large capacity stadium (rather than pitch) would be required. Surely there aren't that many US ex-pats who'd attend regularly once the novelty has worn off to sustain it?

There are only 8 home games before the play-off's - so they will not need to be that regular and there are lots of British fans for the professional game.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Nightwind15

As an American let me say, I HOPE THE FOCK NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I played in the first match I ever saw!

YankeeJim

The NFL will continue to play the odd game in England just as many EPL teams will come to the US. But with travel, trade rules and the lack of size of the Cottage..............

Ah, Hatter said that HOURS ago. It will never happen.

Now what they might do is a have a game of the week or some such where two teams make the trip to England and than take a bye the next week, maybe, but the Cottage? Fulham fans are more likely to quit whining before that happens.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

King_Crud

The whole premise of the NFL playing at the Cottage is just absurd, it will never happen, I just don't understand why people think it would ever happen. I will eat a Michael Jackson related FFC tribute t-shirt thing if it was to pass.

hurricane_nz

Will never happen what a stupid thing to even consider, Khan gets more than 25 thousand even when the Jags ground is only 2/3rds full in the US so wouldnt make sense.And they play the games in London yes but how many Jaguars fans go? When I have been its mostly fans of every other NFL team going to see a game. Its a novelty that wouldnt be so interesting if it was played there every few weeks

MJG