watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Elton John Stand

Started by dannyboi-ffc, March 04, 2015, 09:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

Now I think it's great he has been given recognition by the club, so this is nothing personal against him. I love his music and think he's a nice person.

However, I can't believe no one has brought up how ridiculously cheap and tacky the new stand looks.  Picture the temporary stands put up in Greenwich Park for the 2012 Olympics and you will get a rough idea.  It looked flimsy like it was going to collapse,  it didn't look finished. The Elton John Stand lettering on top looked like it was going to fall off and to top it all off they had writing going from one end to the other quoting the chorus of 'your song'. It just looked crap.

I know we've had the MJ statue but that's not the point. I really hope when the riverside is developed that it is far superior to that standard.  We are so lucky to have a good looking ground, I thought Watford ' s looked like a dump and I hope that doesn't sound arrogant
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Scrumpy

I quite like Watford because it is based quite close to the town centre, so retains that 'old world' feel to it. Similar to The Cottage in that sense.

But in other ways, as you say, it could not be more different. It does look like it was mostly built 'on the cheap'. The new stand is marginally better than the old wreck that used to be there, but yeah, it's definitely the worst of the 4 stands. Seems a bit tough on Elton, to have this stand named after him  fp.gif.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

ron

Why, the stand isn't thatched as well is it?.... :022:

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Scrumpy on March 04, 2015, 10:15:07 PM
I quite like Watford because it is based quite close to the town centre, so retains that 'old world' feel to it. Similar to The Cottage in that sense.

But in other ways, as you say, it could not be more different. It does look like it was mostly built 'on the cheap'. The new stand is marginally better than the old wreck that used to be there, but yeah, it's definitely the worst of the 4 stands. Seems a bit tough on Elton, to have this stand named after him  fp.gif.

Dont get me wrong the location of the ground was lovely and refreshing.  Very similar to ours in that sense but I was talking about the quality of the ground especially the new stand.

It lacked any charm or character,  it wouldn't look too much worse if you bulldozed it into rubble and that's not even exaggerating. But I thoroughly enjoyed the night and will certainly be going back next season if they don't go up.

It was easy to get to and the wetherspoons was decent. (it was massive inside). I got a bit nervous when all the trains seemed to be cancelled from Watford Junction to Euston but the 10.33 train was really quick. Plus the performance was very encouraging and the atmosphere was brilliant, we really got behind the team. All in all a very good away day.

The stadium is still a dump though but nothing will ever compare to my precious little Cottage

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

jarv

MasterHaynes

It's always been a ramshackle stadium. I remember playing in my youth and the smoke from the Hospital incinerator which backed onto the Ground made it like playing in nasty smelling smog, at times it was difficult to see more than 40 yards until it wafted away.Admittedly it was a terrible conditions raining and blustery but their players said it happened regularly even when the first team played there. never forgotten it.

bog

I like Elton. You don't last as long as he has without real talent. He used to come to the Cottage a kid in the 50's to watch his uncle Roy Dwight play. A top player was Roy and his goal scoring exploits for 'our' club are rarely mentioned. I remember Elton interviewed at Old Trafford when Watford had knocked United out of the cup and he was beside himself loving the moment. A real fan.

092.gif

The Equalizer

Quote from: bog on March 05, 2015, 09:07:29 AM
I like Elton. You don't last as long as he has without real talent. He used to come to the Cottage a kid in the 50's to watch his uncle Roy Dwight play. A top player was Roy and his goal scoring exploits for 'our' club are rarely mentioned. I remember Elton interviewed at Old Trafford when Watford had knocked United out of the cup and he was beside himself loving the moment. A real fan.

092.gif

My old man fitted the carpets in his house on Queensdale Place. Says he's a nice bloke.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

bog

That does not surprise we one little bit Equalizer.

092.gif

filham

That stand is better than the eyesore that was there before and has obviously been built on a budget by a championship club to provide seats for extra bums. I understand it has been designed for upward future extension.

Don't knock it , it shows affordable progress by a small club.

epsomraver

Quote from: ron on March 04, 2015, 10:19:11 PM
064.gif 064.gif

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: filham on March 05, 2015, 11:15:19 AM
That stand is better than the eyesore that was there before and has obviously been built on a budget by a championship club to provide seats for extra bums. I understand it has been designed for upward future extension.

But this is what really bugs me about football clubs. To us the cottage is our pride and joy.  Glory comes second to our spiritual home.

But what you're saying is its good to see a club growing despite doing it at the expense of a hideous stand. It's the same for clubs like Leicester and Derby,  their grounds along with many others are soul less,  plastic and identical.

I'd rather not expand the riverside just for the sake of a few extra bums on seats if it's going to look a mess. Of course I'm excited about the riverside but only if it is going to look classy and compliment the rest of the ground in a modern way.

Watford are pushing for promotion and it's an exciting time but their gates against us didn't justify the extra seats. I don't know what their average is like for the season but it only matters when you're promoted.  

I suppose it's better than what they had before but it's still not impressive

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Burt

The thing I want to know is whether it is still standing, better than it ever did, looking like a true survivor etc. etc.  :dft011:

filham

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on March 05, 2015, 12:00:49 PM

But this is what really bugs me about football clubs. To us the cottage is our pride and joy.  Glory comes second to our spiritual home.

But what you're saying is its good to see a club growing despite doing it at the expense of a hideous stand. It's the same for clubs like Leicester and Derby,  their grounds along with many others are soul less,  plastic and identical.

I'd rather not expand the riverside just for the sake of a few extra bums on seats if it's going to look a mess. Of course I'm excited about the riverside but only if it is going to look classy and compliment the rest of the ground in a modern way.

Watford are pushing for promotion and it's an exciting time but their gates against us didn't justify the extra seats. I don't know what their average is like for the season but it only matters when you're promoted. 

What I am saying is it is commendable that Watford are working within their means and are not risking debt in order to build a monument for the chairman.

You may see the ground full in the bigger promotion battles as the season draws to an end.
If Watford gain promotion those extra seats will be worth an extra £50 per head (bum) in a lot of matches.

If you can't afford an impressive Rolls Royce buy a Ford, it will do the job at a lot lower cost. The Watford fans seem to be quite pleased with the stand.

Now if we are talking about the Cottage then that is special and yes it is much more sensitive, and any new development has to be just right.

Holders

Quote from: epsomraver on March 05, 2015, 11:52:35 AM
Quote from: ron on March 04, 2015, 10:19:11 PM
064.gif 064.gif

My house is thatched, it's stood for 350 years and I bet will still be standing long after Watford's ground is demolished.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Riverside

But this is what really bugs me about football clubs. To us the cottage is our pride and joy.  Glory comes second to our spiritual home.

But what you're saying is its good to see a club growing despite doing it at the expense of a hideous stand. It's the same for clubs like Leicester and Derby,  their grounds along with many others are soul less,  plastic and identical.

The Riverside stand will be class
I would stake my name on it

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: filham on March 05, 2015, 12:26:27 PM

What I am saying is it is commendable that Watford are working within their means and are not risking debt in order to build a monument for the chairman.

You may see the ground full in the bigger promotion battles as the season draws to an end.
If Watford gain promotion those extra seats will be worth an extra £50 per head (bum) in a lot of matches.

If you can't afford an impressive Rolls Royce buy a Ford, it will do the job at a lot lower cost. The Watford fans seem to be quite pleased with the stand.

Now if we are talking about the Cottage then that is special and yes it is much more sensitive, and any new development has to be just right.

What you're saying makes sense so ill agree with you but you think it looked crap too right?

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Abbotsbury White

092.gif
Just looked up Roy Dwight's goal scoring  record for Fulham  54 goals in 72 games..that's astounding!
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 05, 2015, 09:12:26 AM

092.gif

My old man fitted the carpets in his house on Queensdale Place. Says he's a nice bloke.
Bet he felt uncomfortable...
On his hands and knees and bum in the air! Probably the quickest laying ever!

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

It has but I think it's gonna be a long long time
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES