more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (12/03/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 11, 2015, 05:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Why hiring Felix Magath would be an unmitigated disaster for Rangers

Reports suggest the former Fulham boss could be set for a role with Rangers. Supporters should hope not...

According to reports, Rangers are considering the possibility of hiring ex-Fulham coach Felix Magath as early as this season.

The German could be made caretaker boss or simply a member of staff to boost the Scottish Championship side's promotion bid in the short term, with the 61-year-old himself refusing to rule out any possibilities.

But, for a club like Rangers - already suffering from grave instability off the field - Magath is the last person in the world that need be looked at.

Why?

Well, the list is a long one...

The early signs came when former Bayern Munich chairman Uli Hoeness warned Fulham's players they will hate him if he took over at Craven Cottage. He duly did and the Cottagers were duly relegated, struggling desperately for form the following season, too.

"Felix wants total power. He is also a very suspicious guy. He sees ghosts and is convinced everyone is always talking about him," Hoeness said.

"This is why, at every club, he wants to become manager, director, coach, and even print the match day programmes.

"This can lead to a short revival but in the long term it leads to disaster. Felix Magath has proved that at every club he has been."

Hoeness's words were ignored - treated as a former employer's opinion that would hopefully be proven wrong.

But what followed at Fulham was exactly as the ex-Bayern supremo predicted.

Jon Arne Riise, Brede Hangelaand and Mohamed Al Fayed all slammed Magath as he destroyed his players both physically and mentally, before looking for anyone but himself to blame.

He got his tactics wrong, his line-ups wrong - and sold most of Fulham's most experienced and, arguably, best players.

When the inevitable day of his sacking came, supporters of the west London side were jubilant. It was reminiscent of Hoeness's saying that the players at Bayern 'had a party' when Magath was gone.

In his defence, there is perhaps a sense the German could kick Rangers into shape, with several aging players no longer giving their all for the Gers - something they would most certainly be forced to under Magath.

But Magath's 'all' is not a humanly possible 'all.' As another of Hoeness's aptly put quotes stated:

"He goes well beyond the limits of physical challenges with players. He is pushing players to a ridiculous stage. Well over the edge.

"For him it is natural to squeeze the body of a professional player like a lemon to the final drop. It goes well beyond the stage where it gets unhealthy for the body of a player."

The appeal of the 61-year-old as a short-term saviour for Rangers also falls rather flat when you consider the fact he was brought into Fulham to keep them in the Premier League. As a result of - admittedly not only but certainly hugely - his misdemeanours, they are now fighting to stay up in the Championship.

And then there was the whole 'cheese' business...

The evidence, then, is damning; the verdict: guilty. If Rangers have anything to do with Magath, it is surely bound to end in another unmitigated disaster.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/03/09/why-hiring-felix-magath-would-be-an-unmitigated-disaster-for-ran/?

WhiteJC

Bid To Remember

Signed Fulham shirts have raised £6,953 for The Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal in Sky Bet's #BidToRemember auction.

The 19 match-worn shirts, as well as 10 signed squad shirts, from Fulham's 3-1 win over Huddersfield Town on Saturday November 8 were auctioned through Sky Bet's eBay site.

Fans from all over the UK placed their bids on the shirts, which included a limited edition poppy badge emblazoned on the chest.

The most expensive Fulham shirt was Ross McCormack's shirt, which fetched £500.

In total, the signed football shirts auction from all 24 Championship clubs raised £118,897.

All the money raised will be used by The Royal British Legion to provide funding for services such as the Battle Back Centre in Lilleshall, an adaptive sport and adventurous training facility for wounded, injured and sick Service personnel.

A cheque was presented to the Legion and was accepted by ex-Sapper Clive Smith – a Wolves fan – who lost both legs serving in Afghanistan in 2010. Clive spent time at the Battle Back Centre as part of his recovery in 2012.

Sky Bet's Head of Sponsorship, Edwin Martin said: "The response to the #BidToRemember shirt auction from fans all over the world has been absolutely incredible.

"We've had bids from China, America and all over Europe, and the amount raised will go a long way to helping members of the Armed Forces community by funding vital facilities such as the Battle Back Centre."

The Royal British Legion Director of Fundraising Charles Byrne said: "The money raised from the Poppy Appeal helps us to support the Armed Forces community 365 days a year.

"We support Service personnel, veterans who are transitioning back to civilian life or have left the Forces, and importantly their families too.

"Thank you to Sky Bet, The Football League, all of the participating clubs and most importantly, all of the fans who bought a shirt."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/march/11/bid-to-remember?

WhiteJC

Inside Hillsborough

Ahead of Saturday's trip to Hillsborough, we caught up with Sheffield Wednesday season ticket holder Sue Hill to get her take on the Owls.

Wednesday go into the weekend's meeting sitting 10th – would you have taken that at the start of the season?

Absolutely! It makes a change for us not to be in a relegation scrap to be honest. Expectations are always high at the start of the season, and no matter how unrealistic it is we always start off thinking we're in with a shout of promotion, but even so I think most Wednesday fans would have snatched your hand off for 10th at this stage.

You're 13 points off sixth – are the Play-Offs at all possible still do you think?

We looked like we might challenge for a Play-Off spot earlier on in the season, but I think we're missing a couple of key players – namely an experienced striker and a winger – and we just haven't been consistent enough, which at the moment looks like it might have cost us a shot at the Play-Offs. However, this is Sheffield Wednesday we're talking about so just about anything is possible.

Do you think you can challenge for the top-six next season?

I think next season could be the first season in a long, long time where we can realistically look to challenge for promotion. Milan Mandaric sold us recently to Dejphon Chansiri, and early indications are that our new chairman is prepared to spend what's necessary to mount a challenge. Add that to the already decent squad we have and there are reasons to be optimistic. It would be the least our long suffering supporters deserve!

Wednesday have got an admirable defensive record this season - what do you put that down to?

A couple of key purchases pre-season, and good coaching. Keiren Westwood, our keeper, has been outstanding. He signed from Sunderland in pre-season and must be one of the best keepers in the Championship, if not the best; he's rescued us with some incredible saves in quite a few games. Central defender Tom Lees, bought from Leeds at the start of this season, has also been fantastic - Leeds must have an amazing defence to have let him go! Along with fellow defender Glenn Loovens, the defence is really well marshalled, and that has to be down to good coaching from Stuart Gray. It's a long time since we've had a defence like this, currently the second best defence in the Championship, only Middlesbrough have conceded fewer goals than us.

Who have been your stand out players this season?

In addition to Westwood and Lees mentioned above, you'd have to say that latterly Lewis McGugan has made a real difference to the team. He is back with us for a second loan spell from Watford and he is a player who has stood out for his quality, creativity and eye for goal. McGugan is that midfielder that we seem to have been looking for forever; it's imperative we sign him up on a permanent deal.

What were your thoughts after the 4-0 defeat at Craven Cottage earlier this season?

Gutted. I didn't see that coming at all. We had been playing well away from Hillsborough, and with our good defensive record this result was a bit of a shock, but we didn't really turn up at all and with the quality players you have at your disposal you were able to pick us off to get a deserved win.

Which Fulham players do you think could cause you problems on Saturday?

Ross McCormack always seems to have a decent game against us so we'll hopefully be keeping a close eye on him. Scott Parker was impressive in the way he bullied Will Hughes when you played Derby recently, though I couldn't have seen him doing the same to Jose Semedo had he been fit! When you look at the other quality players you have, such as Bryan Ruiz and Hugo Rodallega, we will need to be switched on to be able to deal with them effectively.

What's the best and worst thing about a trip to Hillsborough?

Best thing – our retro scoreboard?!!! – and the fact that we have a very traditional ground which provides a great atmosphere when it's full. However, Hillsborough is in desperate need of some investment and upgrading and the pitch is starting to resemble Blackpool's, so that would be the worst. Our new chairman has promised a million pound pitch for next season, and a new scoreboard, so things are definitely looking up!

Where can away fans go for a pint before the match?

Probably the Horse and Jockey at the top of Wadsley Lane. The Railway Tavern on Penistone Road is also good for away fans.

How do you see Saturday's game going?

I would hope that we will start quickly and put you under pressure straight away as we've been guilty of only performing for 45 minutes on more than one occasion this season. Your performance may depend on how you cope with the state of the pitch. If we get a good start the crowd will really get going and hopefully push the team over the line.

What score prediction are you going for?

I think it could be quite a close game, but the fact you've only won away three times this season and we've only won four at home suggests the likeliest outcome is a draw. I'll go for 1-1, but will of course be hoping for a win.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/march/11/inside-hillsborough?

WhiteJC

Fulham striker and ex-Bristol City loanee insists he's more than just a support act

Matt and Mac is not Whites' forward's only talent

Purple patch: Matt Smith (R)
Matt Smith has little time for the idea he is the Large in the Little act alongside Ross McCormack.

The giant Fulham striker reckons he deserved to be bought by the Whites from Leeds in his own right for around £800,000 last September rather than as stooge to the £11m striker.

McCormack spoke of rekindling the successful partnership the pair enjoyed at Elland Road last season, but it lasted a mere 18 minutes in Smith's debut at Reading.

Fulham's Matt Smith (left) receives his marching orders against Reading
A rash challenge on Royals' Hope Apkan saw Smith see red, which as it turned out was a taste of what happened next.

The 6ft 6ins forward was loaned to Bristol City, where in Robins red he netted seven times in 14 games, including all four when City beat Gillingham 4-2 away in January.

Fulham boss Kit Symons saw it happen, and now Smith insists he is ready to impress his fourth gaffer in a roller coaster season - and hopefully get a start at Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

He said: "It's been a bit of a odd season to be under a few different managers, and playing for a few different teams in a few different competitions, but it's all part of the learning curve, I suppose.

Staying put: Matt Smith will remain with Bristol City until March 1
"My spell at Bristol was character building and served its purpose in scoring goals regularly, hope I can continue it here at Fulham.

He netted 25 minutes into his Cottage debut on Friday, but it was bittersweet, bearing in mind the 5-1 hammering at the hands of rampant Bournemouth in front of the TV cameras.

Ross McCormack (R) celebrates with Matt Smith after scoring the second goal for Leeds United
However, the goal was fashioned in Yorkshire from a sixth sense pass by McCormack that played in his pal to rifle high into the net. It's been a long time coming.

"It's disappointing we're talking about it in March," said Smith. "We understand each other's games very well, so it was good to be back out there together and we linked up well in parts.

"But I'd like to think I was bought on the back of a good season in my own right rather than as Ross's partner.

"I made my Cottage debut and it didn't go the way I would have wanted it to go. But you've got to take the small positives and move on collectively as a group and make vast improvements in time for Sheffield Wednesday.

"I always knew I was coming back from Bristol and this is where I want to be and do well here. It's up to me to keep my spot."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-striker-ex-bristol-city-loanee-8817009?

WhiteJC

Zat Knight to join Reading FC on a free transfer

Former England international will arrive on a short term deal until the summer

Royals are closing in on a deal for former Bolton man Zat Knight.
Reading are to sign Zat Knight on a free transfer.

The experienced central defender spent last week on trial at Watford but Steve Clarke has now stepped in and won the race to sign him.

Knight, who has two senior England caps, will join on a short term deal until the end of the season.

The 34-year-old is currently a free agent having had an unsuccessful spell in Major League Soccer with Colorado Rapids.

He started his career with Fulham and spent eight years at Craven Cottage before sealing a move to Aston Villa in 2007.

Knight joined Bolton Wanderers in 2009 and spent five seasons with the Totters, making 168 appearances, before being released last summer.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/zat-knight-join-reading-fc-8817848?

WhiteJC

Derby County cast their eye on Fulham striker Ross McCormack after being told Jordan Rhodes is not for sale
Derby County are interested in signing Fulham striker Ross McCormack
McCormack joined the west London club for £11million in the summer
But their gamble backfired as they continue to stutter in the division
Rams have also made enquiries to sign Jordan Rhodes from Blackburn

Derby County have revived interest in Fulham's Ross McCormack.

The Championship promotion hopefuls had made enquiries about signing Jordan Rhodes from Blackburn Rovers but the Ewood Park club's reluctance to deal has prompted fresh questions about McCormack.

The Scotland international made an £11million move from Leeds in the summer but the move has backfired with Fulham falling perilously close to the relegation places in recent weeks.

Fulham striker Ross McCormack battles with Bournemouth's Matt Ritchie during their clash at Craven Cottage

Fulham striker McCormack gets his shot away as Fulham take on Watford in the Championship

McCormack has been linked with a move to promotion hopefuls Derby County as Fulham stutter in the division

McCormack, 28, has still managed 12 goals in a struggling side and Derby are keen to see if Fulham will loan him with a view to a permanent deal should they go up.

Fulham's form is poor with just three wins this year and they are unlikely to want to lose one of their best forwards.

They have an eight point cushion between themselves and Wigan and plan a re-structure in the summer should they survive.

Second-placed Derby face promotion rivals Norwich on Saturday.

Jordan Rhodes (centre) was on the subs' bench for the duration of Blackburn's FA Cup match with Liverpool

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2989664/Derby-County-cast-eye-Fulham-striker-Ross-McCormack-told-Jordan-Rhodes-not-sale.html#ixzz3U69f5qeu
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Essential reading

Since I started this site an underlying ethos (!) has been that we really shouldn't be half as certain about things we see on a football pitch as we are.  I'd get into message board arguments over this kind of thing, people taking positions that I felt couldn't really be justified with any great certainty.   It's quite hard to have a discussion along these lines and in retrospect probably fairly pointless (but then isn't all of this?). In any case, football isn't nearly as obvious as we like to think it is; people make sense of patterns they see but in reality 99% of us are watching the ball 99% of the time and generally see what they want to see anyway.

This article about Mesut Ozil is a great example of the kinds of things I've tried to say.

I really recommend it.

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/essential-reading/?

WhiteJC

Now It's Ross McCormack!

The striker that Derby now want having been told Blackburn's Jordan Rhodes 'isn't for sale' is another Scottish international in the shape of Fulham's former Leeds striker Ross McCormack?

Depending on what report you read Rhodes isn't for sale anyway, although it's been claimed Middlesbrough are 'in pole position' to sign him! Having been 'rebuffed' in the apparent Rhodes efforts the Daily Mail now says that we've 'cast our eye' McCormack!

The £11m move that he made to Fulham might not have gone as planned but he's still scored 12-goals for a struggling side this season and is proven at this level but, much like Rhodes anyway, could you really see Fulham allowing McCormack to leave? I couldn't. Even less so as any 'promise to buy' would be dependant on us getting into the Premier League, which is of course the aim.

Steve McClaren might make a move into the loan window before it closes for another striker but I would be surprised if Rhodes or McCormack arrived, in fact I would be surprised if they left Blackburn and Fulham, respectively, for anyone this side of the summer!

Read more: http://www.derby.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=392084#ixzz3U6AsRIOK

WhiteJC

Real Madrid star Gareth Bale Tweets encouraging message to Fulham teenager George Williams

The former Tottenham star is international team-mates with recently crocked George Williams for Wales.

19-year-old George Williams is just one of many top young talents coming through the ranks at Fulham. He made an impressive start to the new season, playing in 20 games for the Cottagers.

His first team appearances have been mixed so, considering his age, Fulham saw fit to send him out on loan to get some first-team football and continue his development.

Williams signed up for his boyhood club MK Dons on loan until the end of the season and played in four games before disaster struck.

He tore his anterior cruciate ligament in his knee and underwent surgery earlier in the week. He has been ruled out, according to the official Fulham website, for a period of four to six months - which is thankfully not as severe as it could have been.

Yesterday he received a welcome Tweet from a Real Madrid superstar. Former Tottenham attacker Gareth Bale sent this message Williams' way:

Of course it wasn't just out of the kindness of his heart. Williams is a fellow Welsh international, holding five caps to his name.

But it was a nice touch from the Real star to send the Fulham youngster an encouraging Tweet after this injury setback.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/03/11/real-madrid-star-gareth-bale-tweets-encouraging-message-to-fulha/?