watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (14/03/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 13, 2015, 05:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday: There'll be no club record unless we're all at it says Stuart Gray

Stuart Gray says his side must learn a lesson from their previous game with Fulham if they are to equal a club record this weekend.

Should the Owls not concede against the Cottagers on Saturday, it will see them match the club record for most clean sheets in a season.

But Gray says they will have to defend much better than they did when they lost 4-0 at Fulham in December.

"We defend from the front," Gray said. "Last week at Blackpool we had Atdhe Nuhiu and Will Keane closing down their defence and winning the ball back.

"The games where we've struggled are the ones where we've not done that and Fulham was one of those.

"We didn't take any pressure off the back four and the goalkeeper so we need to make sure we do that this weekend."

Gray admitted he was not aware of the club record until a few weeks ago but he spoke with pride about the potential achievement.

He said: "It's credit to the players because we aim to defend with 11 men and attack with 11.

"It's down to the hours of work we put in on the training ground.

"We must be doing something right.

"People used to talk about boring, boring Arsenal winning 1-0 but they were always up there.

"If you keep the ball out at one end you've got every chance of winning the game

"But you also have to pop the ball in there at the other end to be up at the top."

Sam Hutchinson trained yesterday and could feature against the Cottagers as he recovers from a bruised foot.

Jose Semedo, Kamil Zayatte and Sergiu Bus will all miss out.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/sheff-weds/sheffield-wednesday-there-ll-be-no-club-record-unless-we-re-all-at-it-says-stuart-gray-1-7153884

WhiteJC

Kit Symons and Mark Warburton top the Championship Sack Race

Earlier in the week Ian Holloway became the 18th casualty of the 2014/15 Championship campaign; a remarkable statistic, even in an age that is dominated bu a culture of impatience. The Championship Sack Race Market is now back-up and running, and it's the London-based duo of Fulham boss Kit Symons and Brentford's Mark Warburton who lead the way at the top of the betting, with odds of 5/1, courtesy of Bet Victor.

Kit Symons

Symons has only been in permanent charge of Fulham since the end of October, but already his job appears to be on the line, according to the latest odds at least. Under former boss Felix Magath the Cottages endured a nightmare start to the season, picking up just one point from their opening seven matches. Symons was handed the reins as caretaker manager in mid-September, before landing the full time job six weeks later after leading the club to five wins from nine matches.

Fulham were expected to push on, but they've frustratingly struggled since the back-end of January, winning only one of their last 11 matches in all competitions, seven of which they have lost. As a result the London outfit are hovering just above the dreaded drop zone in 21st, but while they may have an eight point cushion, a second successive relegation is by no means out of the question.

Mark Warburton

The outrage surrounding Brentford's decision to depart with popular boss Warburton at the end of the season may have died down, however should the 52-year-old lead the club to promotion up the Premier League, then you can expect a further pouring of outcry. With 10 games to play Brentford sit in 6th - just four points off the summit - half-a-dozen of those remaining matches against teams down in the second-half of the table.

Elsewhere Wigan gaffer Malky Mackay is priced at 8/1, followed by the trio of Russell Salde, Steve Evans and Stuart Gray, who have all been handed odds of 10/1 to be the next second-tier manager to suffer the sack.

http://www.thesackrace.com/news/13th-march-2015/kit-symons-and-mark-warburton-top-the-championship-sack-race?

WhiteJC

Former Spurs And Fulham Starlet Troost-Ekong Fancies Move To Celtic
Ex Tottenham Hotspur Defender William Troost-Ekong Welcomes Interest From Glasgow Celtic

Former Tottenham Hotspur center - half William Troost-Ekong is flattered to be linked with a move to Glasgow Celtic, but has reiterated that there has been no contact with the Scottish powerhouse.

With Dutch defender Virgil van Dijk tipped to depart Parkhead in the summer transfer market, Celtic chiefs have reportedly beamed their searchlight on Troost-Ekong, who spent his formative years at Fulham.

''Of course, I am flattered to be linked with Celtic, it's a big club. I only knew about the interest yesterday,'' said William Troost-Ekong to SL10.ng.

''I enjoyed my football in the United Kingdom and definitely if the right opportunity comes I would seriously consider returning.

''There has been no contact, nothing that  know of but I would love to play for The Bhoys.

''Celtic is a massive club and like I said if the opportunity to play somewhere like that arose, I would love to.''

The Groningen loanee admitted that he has been a keen follower of Celtic, especially in the Champions League, and has heaped praise on the club's supporters.

''I have watched a lot of games involving Celtic because it's a Champions League club.

''And having traveled to Glasgow in the past before, I have seen how passionate the supporters are.

''There has been interest from other teams but nothing concrete yet,'' the ex Holland youth - teamer added.

William Troost-Ekong is playing on loan at FC Dordrecht until the end of the 2014 - 2015 seasons.

Born in Haarlem to a Dutch mom and a Nigerian father, the 21 year old has committed his international future to the Super Eagles.

http://www.sl10.ng/news/articles/categories/nigeria-players-abroad/ex-tottenham-hotspur-defender-william-troost-ekong-welcomes-interest-from-glasgow-celtic/203802?

WhiteJC

Kit Symons: Goalless draw at Sheffield Wednesday would not be the worst result for Fulham
KIT SYMONS admits he would be content with a draw against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

Fulham's poor run of form in 2015 has seen them drop to 21st in the Championship table but they still have an eight point cushion above the drop zone.

The Cottagers have picked up just one point from their last six away games - a dour goalless draw at fellow strugglers Millwall - and Symons is desperate for his side to avoid defeat at Hillsborough.

He said at his pre-match press conference: "A nil-nil away from home is something you'd be quite pleased with generally.

"If we come back with a nil-nil from there I'd be happy enough so we'll be looking at the game and finding the best way we feel we can get a result.

Fulham were stuffed 5-1 by Bournemouth at Craven Cottage last Friday to take away the positivity built up from the recent home win against then table-toppers Derby.

Symons confessed his young side were shell shocked by the Cherries thrashing but insists they have bounced back in training this week.

He revealed: "We got stuck straight into the boys for training this week, the tempo has been very good and it's been OK.

"People are aware of our situation but I'm fully aware the way to get out of it is to roll your sleeves up and have a right go and that's what we've been doing."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/430521/Kit-Symons-Goalless-draw-Sheffield-Wednesday-would-not-be-the-worst-result-Fulham

WhiteJC

Next Up: Sheffield Wednesday

Fulham go in search of what would be an impressive league double when they face Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough on Saturday.

The opposition

Following their 4-0 defeat at the Cottage just before Christmas – the only time they've conceded more than three goals in a league fixture this season – Sheffield Wednesday provided a timely response with consecutive wins over Blackpool, Wigan Athletic and Nottingham Forest to move themselves up to eighth in the Sky Bet Championship table.

They endured something of a blip thereafter, though, when they went seven games without a victory – a period in which they picked up just three points in total – but they've recovered from that and go into Saturday's match in good form having won three of the last four.

Going into the reverse fixture at Craven Cottage, Wednesday had the second-best defence in the division, and the same is true ahead of the weekend's meeting. Only Middlesbrough have conceded fewer than their 34 goals, and if they keep a clean sheet against the Whites they will equal a club record of 17 shut-outs in a season.

It's up front where the Owls have struggled this season, and one would imagine they'd be higher than their current position of 11th had they found the back of the net more frequently. Only bottom two Millwall and Blackpool have scored less than their 32.

Team news

Wednesday could have Sam Hutchinson available for this weekend's game, as the former Chelsea man seems to have recovered from the bruised foot that saw him substituted after just 18 minutes of their previous outing. However, Glenn Loovens, Jose Semedo, Kamil Zayatte and Sergiu Bus all miss out for the hosts.

Inside the camp

Manager Stuart Gray says the Owls will continue pushing for a Play-Off spot until it's mathematically impossible for them to gatecrash the top-six.

Wednesday are currently 13 points behind sixth-place Brentford, but with 10 matches still to be played, stranger things have happened.

"I've got a great bunch of lads, an honest bunch of lads who give 100 per cent," he says on swfc.co.uk. "Our challenge is to finish higher than last season and keep looking up to the Play-Offs until it's mathematically impossible.

"That's the challenge for the players. I've got players out of contract and fighting and scrapping for new ones.

"I've got players who are in the side at the moment and playing well. Confidence is high, we're in a decent run of form and had a good win at Blackpool last week.

"It surprises me where Fulham find themselves in the division because they have some quality players in their squad.

"It won't be an easy game but from my point of view, I'm only concerned with what we do and I want to see our good run extended at Hillsborough this weekend."

Player to watch

Lewis McGugan: An experienced campaigner at Championship level with a keen eye for goal, dynamic midfielder Lewis McGugan is currently on loan to the Owls from Watford. The 26-year-old came through the ranks at Nottingham Forest before making his debut for the club in 2006 whilst they were in League One. He wasted no time in announcing himself on the scene, winning Forest's Goal of the Season that year. He repeated that feat the following term as Forest gained promotion back into the Championship. McGugan was a mainstay in the side for the following four seasons, clocking up more than 200 appearances for the Reds and scoring an impressive 40 goals from midfield. He joined Watford as a free agent in the summer of 2013 but fell out of favour earlier this season and subsequently joined Wednesday on loan before the turn of the year, and then re-joined in February. A goalscoring midfielder known for his powerful long-range shooting and energy, he could be a threat to the Whites on Saturday with his set-pieces. He goes into the match with three goals from his last five games.

Marathonbet match odds

Sheffield Wednesday: 26/25

Draw: 49/20

Fulham: 16/5

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/march/13/next-up-sheffield-wednesday?

WhiteJC

Fulham coach will have say in team selection

Curbs to be involved in 'everything' at Craven Cottage

Fulham coach Alan Curbishley
Kit Symons freely admits Alan Curbishley will have a finger in each and every Fulham pie.

The former Charlton and West Ham chief is back at Craven Cottage a second time following a whirlwind appearance alongside Rene Muelensteen and Ray Wilkins in a doomed campaign last term.

Pointing the way: Kit Symons
But Symons reckons he will use Curbs as a 'sounding board' in all aspects of coaching, selection and tactics as Fulham hope to edge away from the bottom four starting at Sheffield Wednesday tomorrow.

"He'll be a great sounding board for me," said the gaffer. "He brings advice and experience in abundance and I'll be tapping into him for everything."

Even when it comes to deciding if this player is better than that one for the next game?

"I'll talk to him about everything in relation to the football club," Symons answered.

"I'm constantly asking his advice. Why would I not when you've got that experience. I intend to tap into it every way I can."

The rumour mill had it Curbishley and Wilkins were incadescent after lasting just eight weeks as Fulham got through the coaches in a desperate attempt to come up with a winning formula. But Symons insisted no arms were twisted to force a return.

"He was really keen to come in and he's been excellent," added the manager.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-coach-say-team-selection-8832914?

WhiteJC

Owls aim to avenge Cottage upset

Wednesday are out to right the wrongs of the earlier meeting with Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Back in December, the Owls were beaten 4-0 by Fulham and Stuart Gray is keen to avenge that result as the two sides go head to head at Hillsborough.

The Owls boss said: "We went down to Fulham and probably had the best of the play but conceded two quick goals and lost the game 4-0.

"We want to put on a better performance than that and of course get the three points.

"In the end we let ourselves and the magnificent support we had that day down with the result but one thing I want on Saturday is a performance and more importantly a result.

"The fans at Fulham were unbelievable and chanted from the first minute to the last and not many fans would do that when we've been beaten 4-0."

He added: "Fulham are fighting and scrapping for their lives at the moment and one place outside the relegation zone.

"I know Kit Symons well and he'll have his team fired up because they are fighting for their livelihood but we need to start strong, be in their faces and put them under pressure."

Read more at http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/owls-aim-to-avenge-cottage-upset-2331906.aspx#lpUycU0E4pfuD85j.99

WhiteJC

Sheff Wed v Fulham

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: Hillsborough Date: Saturday, 14 March Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Coverage: Watch highlights on The Football League Show; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

Sheffield Wednesday boss Stuart Gray has no new injury worries, but is still without several key performers.

Glenn Loovens (ankle), fellow defender Kamil Zayatte (hamstring), midfielder Jose Semedo (foot) and striker Sergiu Bus (groin) all remain sidelined.

Fulham could give a debut to Michael Turner after bringing the defender in on loan from Norwich.

Fernando Amorebieta serves a one-match ban while fellow full-back Jazz Richards (ankle) could feature.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-Head
Fulham won the earlier meeting this season 4-0 at Craven Cottage in December.
Sheffield Wednesday have won only one of the last five meetings in all competitions. Their only win since 1985 was 1-0 at Hillsborough in the League Cup in August 2012.

Fulham have won only one of the last seven meetings at Hillsborough in all competitions. Their only win there since 1973 was 2-1 in the FA Cup in January 2009.

Sheffield Wednesday
Sheffield Wednesday have won three of their last four games, losing the other. Their only defeat since 21 February was 2-1 against Blackburn at home on 4 March.
Sheffield Wednesday have won only one of their last six home games. Their only win at Hillsborough since Boxing Day was 2-0 against Middlesbrough at home on 28 February.

Fulham
Fulham have won only one of their last 11 games in all competitions. Their only win since mid-January was 2-0 against Derby at home in the Championship on 28 February.
•   Fulham have lost six of their last seven away games in the Championship, drawing the other. Their last league win on the road was 1-0 at Leeds on 13 December.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31776030

WhiteJC

What next for Ross McCormack? Stick or twist?

The £11 million move to Fulham hasn't gone as planned so does the ex-Leeds United man stick it out or move on again?

Despite the rapid turnover of managers at Craven Cottage in recent years, nobody expected big-spending Fulham to struggle like they have in this season's Sky Bet Championship. And while the £11 million fee paid by the London club last summer, per the BBC, heaped some unwanted pressure on the Scottish international's shoulders, the team's form has not helped his own in a largely unproductive season.

McCormack has managed just 12 goals in 42 appearances as Fulham have limped through their first season at this level since 2001, following the path of a number of other relegated Premier League clubs who have struggled to adapt in the second tier. While McCormack has been hailed as one of the more consistent performers by Fulham fans and management alike, it has certainly not been the move he expected following a controversial exit from Elland Road last summer.

A war of words muddled the true reasons why McCormack left Leeds after a highly-productive 2013/14 season in front of goal, with president Massimo Cellino and the 29-goal hitman blaming each other for the high-profile exit. McCormack's Premier League ambitions were natural and viewed sympathetically by the Leeds faithful, less so his appearance on Sky Sports during the Brian McDermott fiasco of January 31st 2014, which bred a lot of mistrust within the fanbase.

It was therefore no surprise when McCormack eventually left Elland Road, but his move to newly-relegated Fulham raised a few eyebrows. Certainly the expectation was to be competing for an immediate return to the top tier, but movement in the opposite direction has always looked more likely. Fulham sit in 21st position with ten games remaining, but mercifully with an eight-point gap between them and Wigan in the last relegation spot.

McCormack will have one eye on Fulham's plight and another on where this will leave him should the unthinkable happen. At 28-years-old and with a sparse season in front of goal - and not his first by any means - McCormack's chances of attracting a Premier League club have receded dramatically in 12 months.

The Scottish international has been linked with a move to promotion-chasing Derby County this week, speculation that is unhelpful to Fulham manager Kit Symons, but which he responded to positively, telling GetWestLondon "If there is speculation it gives players a bit of a boost, really - and I'm sure that's the case for Ross. It makes them feel wanted. Certainly, Ross is very wanted here. He's never mentioned it, and he's been the same in training and for games, and long may it continue."

Certainly McCormack will continue to concentrate on maintaining Fulham's Championship status for another season, but if they stay up, as expected, it will not necessarily mean that the Craven Cottage club can fulfil his ambitions next season.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/03/13/jh-what-next-for-ross-mccormack/?

WhiteJC

U18s Host Southampton

Fulham Under-18s return to league action when they entertain Southampton at Motspur Park on Saturday (11am).

The Whites haven't played a competitive game since losing 4-1 at Tottenham Hotspur three weeks ago, following the conclusion of the first stage of the Barclays U18 Premier League campaign.

In the Final Stage, they have seven more matches to play, starting with the visit of the Saints. The sides have met twice already this season, with both matches ending in a home win.

The south coast outfit finished 10th in the initial phase of the competition, one place and four points below Fulham.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/march/13/u18s-host-southampton?

WhiteJC

Pompey Look East After Passley Injury

Versatile Portsmouth player Danny East is set for his first start of the season after an injury to loanee Josh Passley.
East has had an injury hit spell at Fratton Park since signing in the summer of 2013. He recently returned from a pelvic injury and moved out on loan to Aldershot Town in a bid to regain match fitness. The 23-year-old has only made 15 appearances, all last season for the Blues.

Fulham loanee Passley pulled up with a tight hamstring during training after a successful spell in the side and is rated as 50/50. Portsmouth invoked a cluase to bring him back to the club as cover. Youngster Adam Webster, a rival to Passley's spot, has come under fire from some sections of the Fratton Park support.

East, who has also played for Northampton and Gillingham, has been used as a right-back, right winger and in central midfield during his Portsmouth stay and Awford isn't afraid to use him as wing-back. He told the Portsmouth News:

"The challenge for him now is to get into our team. It's down to him to do the business when he does get an opportunity. I didn't want to leave myself exposed and Danny gives us some cover in that area. Bringing him back was the sensible thing to do with Passley being iffy."

Portsmouth face Luton Town at Fratton Park on Saturday, lying in fourteenth place in League Two despite a recent upturn in form.

http://the72.co.uk/22750/pompey-look-east-after-passley-injury/?

WhiteJC

Owls Host Fulham

Wednesday will be without Jordan Rhodes, Ben Marshall and Marcus Tudgay for this game against The Cottagers, ohh cottaging, i'm from Brighton and we love a nice cottage.

Anyhow I digress, yeah we are without Rhodes, Marshall and Tudgay cos our tight arsed owner hasn't signed them yet and I'm not stepping foot inside Hillsborough until he does.

Anyone got a stream? PM me.

What do we know about Fulham?
Well I'll be honest I know they are better than us cos they spent more money and best us 4-0 earlier in the season, I watched that on a stream provided by Boywonder whilst cuddling Opti.

Ross McCormack is a brilliant player, well he cost them £11m so he must be.

Well that's all I do know, I'm not into googling answers I'll just ask on the forum cos I'm lazy.

Last time we met at Hillsborough we won 1-0, dunno who scored though, Walkley can you answer that one?

Cheers
Wednesdayschild.

https://owlsonline.com/?page=news&news_id=1366

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday: We owe Fulham one says Stuart Gray

Stuart Gray admits there is a feeling among the Owls squad that they 'owe one' against Fulham this afternoon.

Wednesday slumped to a 4-0 defeat at Craven Cottage in December.

The Owls head coach admits he is still annoyed about his side's biggest league defeat of the season.

And he believes that disappointment can be used to Wednesday's advantage.

"It's a game that rubs me up a bit," Gray said. "We went there, probably had the best of the play, conceded two quick goals and lost 4-0.

"We let ourselves down at Fulham. And we let the fans down.

"They were incredible down there and you won't get many fans applauding them off at the end after losing 4-0.

"That was the disappointing thing.

"You can use it sometimes.

"We want to put on a better performance, get three points.

"I want the performance but I want the three points as well."

Sam Hutchinson could make a swift return to the side after being forced off after 18 minutes at Blackpool last weekend.

Gray said: "He just damaged a nerve in his foot a little bit and it went numb.

"But he's got some blood back flowing around it and he trained well on Thursday.

"If there's been no reaction he's got a chance."

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/sheff-weds/sheffield-wednesday-we-owe-fulham-one-says-stuart-gray-1-7155571