watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A new man discussion:

Started by FPT, March 15, 2015, 12:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apprentice to the Maestro

Do any of these have the experience or vision of managers that we have had in the past?

Let us remember that MAF brought us Keegan, Tigana, Hodgson and Hughes and even Jol. Before that we have had Alec Stock. Even Khan's appointment of Magath on paper was a selection of a very experienced and highly successful manager.

Against that list the names being put forwards trike one as underwhelming and unambitious.

Nero

SO Big Sam it is then once West Ham dont renew his contract, Has a history of getting teams up and keeping them up.  Wife loves London so its us or QPR as Brentfors want to go for an overseas manager and Carlton just want Belgium's

MJG

It's an interesting exercise looking at these names and threads.
I make it one foreign manager on FPTs list from Last ten years.
If we are looking at promotion next season do we consider that?
Do we look for someone who can stamp their style on the whole club or just worry about first team?
Do we want a long ball merchant in charge of first team when we are turning out a certain type of footballing youth?

Looking at all those teams promoted what kind of styles did they have?

After a season in this league I'm more of the view I'd rather have someone with experience of what's required to get out of it. Someone who knows the league well.

westcliff white

Not a fan of either of those 3, Poyet has problems quite clear for everyone to see, Garcia will not return to management in my opinion due to his heart and general health, Warburton the best choice of all 3 but just not keen on him
Every day is a Fulham day

mangoputney

I'd be happy with either Adkins or McD
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

FPT

Quote from: MJG on March 15, 2015, 02:38:07 PM
We are getting there FPT,  so would you say in order mcdermott would be third and Lambert just edges Adkins into first?

I'm put off by Lambert at Villa but as I wrote earlier need to look at the circumstances as to why they were last sacked.

I like Mcdermott as a person when I have seen him interviewed,  wonder really how much is heart is in being a manager after his spell at Leeds.

Adkins is an odd one. Did get the Southampton team going and up but Reading it all went  wrong.

Lambert maybe rested after Villa would be the goto person in the summer?

I think it's definitely Paul Lambert by a smidgen based on experience, success, playing with young players and business in the window. His style of football personally puts me, he's always struck me as one to go for "get it to the number 9 as quickly as possible" whether it be Grant Holt or Christian Benteke. A good friend of mine supports Reading, and appreciates what Nigel Adkins done at the club, sticking there through a bit of turmoil but his time had come as the club needed a bit of a freshening up. I'm confused with Brian McDermott, if he's the Chief Scout at Arsenal, you'd presume he's got a good eye for a player, but his transfer record leaves a lot to be desired.

Riversider

Would Tigana and Hodgson have passed your tests?
[/quote]
No they would not have and I'm  only sort of joking partly about having someone tick everything. But I saw Laudrup mentioned and let's be honest he would k ow sod all about the championship.
Tigana for all his skill in making players better still some entry a lot, don't get me wrong I love
[/quote]
Bournemouth,Derby and Norwich are currently doing pretty well wouldnt you say, any idea how much experience their managers have had of managing in The Championship before this season ? Im guessing far call ! So dont see the relevance.

MJG

Quote from: Riversider on March 16, 2015, 12:03:12 AM

No they would not have and I'm  only sort of joking partly about having someone tick everything. But I saw Laudrup mentioned and let's be honest he would k ow sod all about the championship.
Tigana for all his skill in making players better still some entry a lot, don't get me wrong I love
[/quote]
Bournemouth,Derby and Norwich are currently doing pretty well wouldnt you say, any idea how much experience their managers have had of managing in The Championship before this season ? Im guessing far call ! So dont see the relevance.
[/quote]
Howe had two seasons as Manager of Burnley in the championship.
McClaren had 13 games with forest in 2011 and also over 4/5ths of last season in charge at Derby.
The new guy at Norwich is doing well but too early to make a case for him.

snarks

On the summary of Adkins, I think there is something missing from his Scunthorpe portfolio. Yes he got them up from League 1 as champions, and they were relegated the following season. However he then got them back up the next season, and managed to make club history by keeping them in the championship the season after.

He then moved to Southampton.

Gus Poyet is a bloke I rate, he did well at Brighton, and very well to keep Sunderland up last season. This season, I'm not sure why it's gone so badly, but it doesn't make him a bad manager.

I should add I'm not saying Kit should be replaced, I want to see where the team are at the end of the season.

Riversider

Quote from: MJG on March 16, 2015, 07:37:36 AM
Sorry meant to say Boro not Derby.

[/quote]
McClaren had 13 games with forest in 2011 and also over 4/5ths of last season in charge at Derby.
[/quote]

MJG

Aitor Karanka has 38 points from his 20 games and is doing well (1.9 ppg)

they had 31 from first 17 games (1.82 ppg) so hes slightly improved that.

No managerial experience that is true, but 3 years as an assistant at RM is a grounding of some sort.

As I said this was just a way of going down one route. List some criteria and who do you have,
Another could be does he talk a good game on MOTD? If so Danny Murphy who has yet to get his boots dirty doing any major coaching could be a candidate.

YankeeJim

Quote from: MJG on March 15, 2015, 08:07:15 AM
I'd have a list of things a manager has to have on his CV.
1: Has won promotion from championship in last 5,  maybe 10 years.
2: has to have managed for at least 100 games and had two seasons in the championship.
3: would check his transfer record to see if he is just a big cheque manager
4: his squads in past must have had a good core of youth to show he can work and use them.
5: check his past purchases and how many related to his agent
6: he will have been sacked since last job,  why did that happen and what we're the circumstances?

Good list even if a bit restrictive. We should go for a proven success. Say someone who has won a major league 2-3 times with a reputation for discipline. He wouldn't have to be popular with the players but would make them fit.
Ahhhh.......never mind.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

MJG

Quote from: YankeeJim on March 16, 2015, 04:48:32 PM
Quote from: MJG on March 15, 2015, 08:07:15 AM
I'd have a list of things a manager has to have on his CV.
1: Has won promotion from championship in last 5,  maybe 10 years.
2: has to have managed for at least 100 games and had two seasons in the championship.
3: would check his transfer record to see if he is just a big cheque manager
4: his squads in past must have had a good core of youth to show he can work and use them.
5: check his past purchases and how many related to his agent
6: he will have been sacked since last job,  why did that happen and what we're the circumstances?

Good list even if a bit restrictive. We should go for a proven success. Say someone who has won a major league 2-3 times with a reputation for discipline. He wouldn't have to be popular with the players but would make them fit.
Ahhhh.......never mind.
I'll add as mad as a box of frogs to the list as well.

mullers

Every change carries a risk - and god knows we've had enough recently. I really do feel that there's enough been shown under Kit to back him, but the recent run says he needs help. Stick with the devil you know or get another devil in it's a gamble both ways, and between god and the devil it's strictly touch and go.
Anyone going somewhere nice for their holidays?

filham

Quote from: mullers on March 16, 2015, 05:25:25 PM
Every change carries a risk - and god knows we've had enough recently. I really do feel that there's enough been shown under Kit to back him, but the recent run says he needs help. Stick with the devil you know or get another devil in it's a gamble both ways, and between god and the devil it's strictly touch and go.
Anyone going somewhere nice for their holidays?

Yes, Kit and Curbs plus a reasonable transfer budget will provide minimal disruption and are likely to do as well as any of the others.

Remember Kit has yet to spend a penny on transfers.

simplyfulham

Quote from: MJG on March 16, 2015, 07:37:36 AM

No they would not have and I'm  only sort of joking partly about having someone tick everything. But I saw Laudrup mentioned and let's be honest he would k ow sod all about the championship.

MJG I've loved your theoretical search for a new manager and think it throws up some fantastic points - thanks for that!

Can I just throw in that I would love to have NIGEL PEARSON should he ever become available. Or even SEAN O'DRISCOLL, he has the Fulham roots, the wealth of experience and knowledge of the football league.

Although he seems to be settled with the England youth setup (high quality footballers without the pressure of the sack every other week, can't blame him) and doubt he'll come out of the FA setup now.

Nick Bateman

Fulham probably need an international or foreign coach.  Unless the man's CV is outstanding, I would not embrace one of the old-school British managers like Billy Davis or Nigel Pearson.  Then we would look like any number of other Championship sides, slogging away to scrap a point, week in week out.  Would you pay to watch that??

Fulham's traditional style is to play attractive passing football so we need someone in that vein.

At the same time, some foreign coaches underestimate grit and work-rate, something very evident in the English league.  Putting in a team of "Bryan Ruiz's" would find the going tough to play their passing game.

That is why I felt René Meulensteen was perfect; he had that foreign outlook yet was very aware of the physical side of the EPL with numerous years at Manchester United.

I would have him back in an instant, but that may make Alistair Mackintosh's position untennable, so it seems hardly likely.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"