watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday music thread

Started by Burt, March 27, 2015, 12:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

I saw Blur play their new album last week. It was excellent.

Berserker

Quote from: you lucky people on March 27, 2015, 08:14:16 PM
Just bought tickets for Brian Wilson appearing with Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin ( both genuine Beach Boys ), they are supported by America (Horse With No Name ) and Edwyn Collins  at Glasgow SSE Hydro tickets were just over £60 each which I think is good value...
Saw Edwin one Hogmany before he was ill, then saw him a couple of years ago at a gig in Oxford. Great fellow does a lot to encourage up and coming musicians
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: cmg on March 27, 2015, 06:04:30 PM
Quote from: The Equalizer on March 27, 2015, 03:15:00 PM
I went to see this lot last Saturday at the Manchester Academy.

Not a bad band at all, and supported by the excellent 'The Rezillos'.

The Stranglers were a bit too smooth for my liking, but The Rezillos - now you're talking. Amazed they're still around - thought they broke up (in proper Punk style) at the height of success around 1978.

This is probably their best known number. Not my favourite, but showcases Fay Fife's Dunfermline accent at its best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2krmvOCBJI#

There were times I could have Strangled them.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Travers Barney on March 27, 2015, 07:00:06 PM
The dexys film last friday on bbc 4 last week fair took my breath away...class every inch of the way..madeline is not bad aestetically either.

That Kevin Rowland wants putting in an asylum...Fruitcake.

Travers Barney

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 27, 2015, 09:18:42 PM
Quote from: Travers Barney on March 27, 2015, 07:00:06 PM
The dexys film last friday on bbc 4 last week fair took my breath away...class every inch of the way..madeline is not bad aestetically either.

That Kevin Rowland wants putting in an asylum...Fruitcake.

If you haven't got the first and last dexys albums then take a long hard look at yourself
We are the whites

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Best band ever - Roxy Music
Best Sax            Andy Mackay
Coolest singer     Bryan Ferry (+songwriter)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Forever Fulham

Just bought tickets for Brian Wilson appearing with Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin ( both genuine Beach Boys ), they are supported by America (Horse With No Name ) and Edwyn Collins  at Glasgow SSE Hydro tickets were just over £60 each which I think is good value...
I'd go see that concert.  You should check out "Love and Mercy", the new biopic on Brian Wilson.  I  saw it a week or two ago at South by Southwest ("SXSW"), annual music/film/interactive festival in Austin, Texas.  Brought the house down.  I hear it's finally making it to the cinema houses in a month or two.  Got a standing ovation from the packed audience that lasted for several minutes.  And then the director came on stage with most of the leading actors.  Jon Cusack helped Brian Wilson (!) walk out and sit down to field questions from the audience for 10 or 15 minutes.  A really special time that got odder the longer it went on.  A thirty something woman with a few tatoos walked up to the microphone to say, "I just want to thank you, Brian.  Your music saved my life."  Then she quietly walked back to her seat.  Could you hear a pin drop?  Hell, yes.   So, mark it down.  Make a note.  Go see "Love and Mercy".  Won't regret it.

nose

Quote from: YoungsBitter on March 27, 2015, 05:46:38 PM
Quote from: nose on March 27, 2015, 05:20:23 PM
I have just purchased tickets for dan penn and spooner oldham....if that means anything to anyone then you are truly top people with impeccable taste!
Does that mean you like "all kinds of music: country and western"?
Means I will never trust your judgement on matters Fulhamish now....

what?
Of course you can trust me
dan penn and spooner oldham are old soul, dan pen and spooner wrote and played on so many classics.... arethas greatest songs... and dark end of the street!
they are a bit old and a  bit white but they are pure Rhythm and blues ..
i really do not like country and country and western....

these guys are legends to be revered!

Jonaldiniho 88

Saw him at bestival a couple years ago. Great set for a mid afternoon. Especially seeing how much I was drinking the night before. How much of the performance was him I'm not sure but it sounded good to me. Took me from the fields of the Isle of Wight to a calli beach. Maybe that was the drink.

LBNo11

Quote from: Berserker on March 27, 2015, 07:47:50 PM
If the Lone poets tweet their gig I'll retweet it again LB

...thanks Mrs B, just got back, I filmed it again tonight and they're getting a bigger following all the time. The lead singer Mike has a real talent for writing all the songs, just need to get a gig heard/seen by the right person and your re-tweeting will be much appreciated. The bass player is very talented too.. :008:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

alfie

Quote from: Forever Fulham on March 27, 2015, 10:57:17 PM
I'd go see that concert.  You should check out "Love and Mercy", the new biopic on Brian Wilson.  I  saw it a week or two ago at South by Southwest ("SXSW"), annual music/film/interactive festival in Austin, Texas.  Brought the house down.  I hear it's finally making it to the cinema houses in a month or two.  Got a standing ovation from the packed audience that lasted for several minutes.  And then the director came on stage with most of the leading actors.  Jon Cusack helped Brian Wilson (!) walk out and sit down to field questions from the audience for 10 or 15 minutes.  A really special time that got odder the longer it went on.  A thirty something woman with a few tatoos walked up to the microphone to say, "I just want to thank you, Brian.  Your music saved my life."  Then she quietly walked back to her seat.  Could you hear a pin drop?  Hell, yes.   So, mark it down.  Make a note.  Go see "Love and Mercy".  Won't regret it.
I saw Brian Wilson and his band couple years ago and the Albert Hall, what a bloody great night it was.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: alfie on March 28, 2015, 08:26:28 AM
Quote from: Forever Fulham on March 27, 2015, 10:57:17 PM
Just bought tickets for Brian Wilson appearing with Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin ( both genuine Beach Boys ), they are supported by America (Horse With No Name ) and Edwyn Collins  at Glasgow SSE Hydro tickets were just over £60 each which I think is good value...
I'd go see that concert.  You should check out "Love and Mercy", the new biopic on Brian Wilson.  I  saw it a week or two ago at South by Southwest ("SXSW"), annual music/film/interactive festival in Austin, Texas.  Brought the house down.  I hear it's finally making it to the cinema houses in a month or two.  Got a standing ovation from the packed audience that lasted for several minutes.  And then the director came on stage with most of the leading actors.  Jon Cusack helped Brian Wilson (!) walk out and sit down to field questions from the audience for 10 or 15 minutes.  A really special time that got odder the longer it went on.  A thirty something woman with a few tatoos walked up to the microphone to say, "I just want to thank you, Brian.  Your music saved my life."  Then she quietly walked back to her seat.  Could you hear a pin drop?  Hell, yes.   So, mark it down.  Make a note.  Go see "Love and Mercy".  Won't regret it.
I saw Brian Wilson and his band couple years ago and the Albert Hall, what a bloody great night it was.

The word Genius is often misused in everyday life.
Not in this case, Genius and Brian Wilson go together.. :HD:

bobbo

1975 just leaving home full of hope

cmg

Quote from: bobbo on March 28, 2015, 11:14:41 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 27, 2015, 05:47:19 PM
What happened to Bert Weedon
Brown bread

Couple of years ago. But he went down with flying colours with virtually every well-known British guitarist of the last 50 years attesting to his influence.

Burt

Quote from: cmg on March 28, 2015, 11:32:03 AM
Brown bread

Couple of years ago. But he went down with flying colours with virtually every well-known British guitarist of the last 50 years attesting to his influence.

Yup sadly no longer of this world.

But I did have the privilege of meeting him many moons ago. Me and my elder brothers went to Butlins on Camber Sands for a boozy one and Bert W was doing the cabaret and as we share the same surname we blagged it "backstage" (bit if a grand term for what it was) after he had finished and had our picture taken with him (with a proper camera, this was before the age of smartphones and selfies). He was a lovely guy, one of his lines was "well whilst we may not be directly related we're all bloody good looking"!!

Woolly Mammoth

Brown bread
Quote from: cmg on March 28, 2015, 11:32:03 AM
Brown bread

Sorry I did not realise he was deceased. He must have lived to a ripe old age, cause at his height back in the Sixties, he looked quite old then.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.