News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Maarten Cornelis Jol - A Better Manager Than Hodgson?

Started by White Noise, July 17, 2010, 06:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Given the track record RH came to Fulham with, are we actually taking a step up replacing him with Jol?

RidgeRider

Not sure about better but certainly higher profile than Hodgson was when he came to Fulham. I stated in a past thread that Hodgson's dilly dallying around with Liverpool and the length of time it has taken to acquire a new manager has removed all the good (cache building) that was created by the cluib's success in the Europa League this year and last season's finish, but I am not so sure anymore.

Jol would seem to be a better manager than we could have attracted pre-Hodgson (PH).

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

At the time, given the choice I would have preferred Martin Jol to Roy.

Now I would have preferred to have kept Roy but Martin Jol isn't a step down...

Logicalman

Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on July 17, 2010, 09:58:02 PM
At the time, given the choice I would have preferred Martin Jol to Roy.

Now I would have preferred to have kept Roy but Martin Jol isn't a step down...

I think young Winston here hits the nail quite squarely, but a further lesson needs to be learned.

When RH was signed following the LS era, very few, if any, felt it was an appointment based on track record, rather than he-couldn't-do-worse-could-he? and as such, notwithstanding whatever RH had done in the past, he was welcomed with open arms. It was not until the end of his first full season that we actually appreciated RH for all he was actually worth, and began to understand what a great catch he was 17 months earlier.

The simple fact that so many are looking at the Jol appointment (or anyone of that caliber) and speculating whether they can achieve the same successes enjoyed in the past 12 months shows how far the club has come in partnership with RH, when, 30 months ago, we wouldn't have even believed the likes of Jol would consider spending time at the cottage.