watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why is Wigan game on Friday?

Started by Ed, April 08, 2015, 07:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Brentford, Chelsea and QPR not playing at home on Sat, so why are we playing on Friday night, our jinx night.....

Southdowns White

Holders

We always used to play on boat-race days.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

westcliff white

Used to yes but can't think of one we did in the last 15 years or so, so the boat race maybe the reason
Every day is a Fulham day

leonffc

I understood it to be because of the boat race. But in the past, The premier league gave us an away fixture that weekend

Skatzoffc

Must be the boat race.

We seem to have played a lot on Fridays this season tho.
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

bog

What a nonsense if it is because of the Boat Race. Is it Health & Safety worried in case a player falls over an oar? Or kicks a rollerk?   :046:

092.gif

Airfix

Quote from: bog on April 08, 2015, 08:54:28 AM
What a nonsense if it is because of the Boat Race. Is it Health & Safety worried in case a player falls over an oar? Or kicks a rollerk?   :046:

092.gif

Nah, it'll be concerns over the number of people in the area.

RaySmith

I remember standing on the Riverside terracing watching a game - it may have been a reserve game, when the boat race went past, and we all went up the back to watch it, before going back to attend to the game.

Cravenawin

Should ban the Boat Race. Most stupid sporting event ever invented. Thousands of hooray Henrys lining the Thames to see 18 Ruperts in a couple of boats, pathetic.

The Equalizer

Quote from: Cravenawin on April 08, 2015, 10:11:51 AM
Should ban the Boat Race. Most stupid sporting event ever invented. Thousands of hooray Henrys lining the Thames to see 18 Ruperts in a couple of boats, pathetic.

Actually, it's a lot more than just 'Hooray Henrys'. Some of us think that rowing is an excellent sport, and as someone who rowed for 8 years, I tend to agree with that.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

The Equalizer

Quote from: Airfix on April 08, 2015, 09:23:48 AM
Quote from: bog on April 08, 2015, 08:54:28 AM

092.gif

Nah, it'll be concerns over the number of people in the area.

Eggs Ackerly. Bishops Park has a big public event and a big ticketed event for The Boat Race, with bars, big screens etc.. Loads of people about, and the large area right by The Cottage is closed off completely.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

LBNo11

Quote from: RaySmith on April 08, 2015, 09:30:12 AM
I remember standing on the Riverside terracing watching a game - it may have been a reserve game, when the boat race went past, and we all went up the back to watch it, before going back to attend to the game.

...I was at the friendly against Kilmarnock around 1968, and everyone went up the steps of the Thamesbank to watch the event and then returned to their respective favoured haunts.

A great picture from the master of monochrome, Ken Coton:-

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Neil D

So who is compensating the club for the reduced attendance, given that very few Wigan supporters will be there and plenty of Fulham fans can't make evening fixtures? 
I also remember watching the race from the terracing of what is now the Riverside stand.

ffc73

Why were we playing a friendly in April?

Knocked out of the FA Cup and the team we were due to play in the league were still in the Cup?

No doubt nowadays the tired players would be given the weekend off or taken to the sun in Spain or Portugal

alfie

and a bunch of grown up's kicking a ball and rolling around the ground and screaming when they think they have broken a nail is not, just because you don't like it does not mean that it should not happen, we hear a lot on this site about tradition, and the boat race has been going a lot longer than you have. I like to see it, does that make me a hooray Henry then?

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

bog

Les, I think I was at that game also. Ken's photograph is of Ian Seymour is it not? I recall other times I was there and the oars went past.

092.gif 

Fulham1959

It's a fix, too.  The top two elite universities always get to the final !

Twig

Oh dear another rant

Apprentice to the Maestro

Should ban football. Most stupid sporting event ever invented. Thousands of Charlie's down by the Thames to see 22 overpaid spotty Herbert's kick an inflated bladder about, pathetic.