more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (10/04/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 09, 2015, 03:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Moussa Glad To Be Back

Moussa Dembélé returned to action for the Under-21s on Tuesday and played a starring role in their 2-1 win at Liverpool, scoring the equaliser and assisting the winner.

Having not featured since the defeat at Manchester City a month ago, the Frenchman was understandably happy to be back and on the winning side.

"It was a very good win," he told fulhamfc.com. "It was tough at the beginning, we started the game sloppily but we got back in it and kept it at 2-1 to win the match, which was nice."

The striker has been out with injury for the past couple of weeks but is now back to 100 per cent fitness.

"I've been out for 15 days with a contraction in my hamstring," he explained. "Now I feel better and I'm back. I'm fully fit now and played the 90 minutes and I feel great. It's nice to be back, and score as well."

Dembélé levelled things up in the first half following an excellent break from the Whites, in particular with good work from Solomon Sambou.

"We had a counter," the 18-year-old said of the goal. "Sol took the ball and drove in and I pulled up on the side and he gave me the ball. I took a touch with my right and finished with my left."

The 2014/15 campaign has seen Dembélé's game time split between the First Team and the 21s, and with just five matches remaining in the Sky Bet Championship he's aiming to feature again for Kit Symons' side before the campaign is out.

"I always train hard to show the Manager I'm ready to play and ready to help the team," he insisted. "Now I'm back I will do anything to get more minutes for the First Team before the end of the season."

His Under-21s manager was delighted with his performance on the day, with the striker unplayable at times as he used his strength and power to brush off defenders.

"He scored a great goal but his general play was excellent," Peter Grant stated. "His movement was excellent.

"He could have scored more but, to be fair to him, I've got an excuse for some of them because of the conditions of the pitch. I thought he was excellent overall.

"If he adds some more goals to his game, he's got everything. Pace, power, he's good in the air, but as a striker you'll always be judged on the final thing you do, and that's putting the ball in the back of the net."

Imagery courtesy of Nick Taylor/Liverpool FC.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/april/08/moussa-glad-to-be-back?

WhiteJC

Arsenal and Chelsea set to lose out in race to sign exciting midfielder

Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City and Tottenham all look set to miss out on Fulham starlet Patrick Roberts, according to Sports Mole.

The exciting 18-year-old midfielder has been heavily linked with a move away form Craven Cottage this summer, with a number of top-flight clubs vying for his signature.

However, Fulham boss Kit Symons has come out and revealed that the West London club will offer him a new deal to stay at the Championship outfit.

"Pat will be offered a new contract. We will look to tie up our best young players. He is a fantastic prospect," Symons told the London Evening Standard Newspaper.

Roberts has only started a mere three games for the Cottagers this season, in what has been a truly abysmal season for the club who were only relegated from the Premier League last season.

The 18-year-old can operate as a winger or striker has a contract that runs out in 2016, and he looks set to depart Craven Cottage this summer.

Kit Symons' Fulham side currently sit in 21st position in the Sky Bet Championship, having accumulated 43 points from 40 league games thus far this season.

There is no doubt that if Fulham want to succeed next season, keeping the likes of Roberts is essential to any success in the 2015/16 campaign.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/arsenal-and-chelsea-set-to-lose-out-in-race-to-sign-exciting-midfielder/?

WhiteJC

Match Report: Charlton Athletic 1 - Fulham 1

I went to a gig yesterday. But we drew against Charlton!

Two games in 5 days can be stressful. For us it was anyway, as we ended up coming out of The Valley with just a single point (fair enough, it's better than losing - I think) yesterday night after drawing Charlton, 1-1.

Early chances from Ryan Tunniclife and James Husband could have got us an even earlier lead, with Tunniclife flopping a cross to Sean Kavanagh, while Husband's low cross was caught by Charlton goalie Stephen Henderson. Ross McCormack made it 1-0 in the 8th minute (woo!), when Michael Turner shot a long pass, which Matt Smith managed to connect to the Scotsman, whose header went straight over Henderson and tucked in nicely under the bar. McCormack had another shot blocked, assisted by Danny Guthrie, five minutes later. The corner which followed was only slightly cleared, and a cross back into the box was won by Smith, which gave Hoogland a chance on goal, which then was saved by Henderson, making a pretty good save.

And then somehow Charlton managed to equalise in the 16th minute. An attack from the home side was cleared out by Dan Burn, but then Morgan Fox managed to cross back to Jóhann Gudmundsson, who found himself unmarked at the back post. 1-1. Two minutes later, a Gudmundsson corner was sent toward goal, with Kavanagh having to use goal-line reflexed to divert it off the line. Gudmundsson again almost made it 2-1 in the 27th minute, finding himself unmarked at the back post (again!), but luckily his shot went straight into the side netting, assisted by a cross from Igor Vetokele. A bad clearance from Henderson in the 35th minute meant that Scott Parker could pass along to Smith, who kept the ball under control using his chest on the edge of the box, before his left footed volley shot just four yards wide. McCormack had a nice attempt on goal from a free kick, which Henderson had to make a two handed save to catch before the first half ended.

We almost managed to take the lead in the opening momnts of the second half. Smith started causing problems in the Charlton half before McCormack shot the ball toward goal, where had to be cleared off the goal line by Joe Gomez. Husband got a hold of the loose ball, sending a cross back into the box where Smith headed toward goal, the ball making its way into Henderson's hands. Dan Burn was booked in the 57th minute for a challenge on Gomez, and Tony Watt missed a good chance, after winning the ball back from Danny Guthrie and being tackled by Turner, shooting his effort just wide. He also shot just wide of the near post just moments after. Gudmundsson decided to try his luck, shooting from 25 yeards out, but his effort met the hands of Marcus Bettinelli. Kit Symons decided to bring Bryan Ruiz and Alexander Kaĉaniklić to replace Kavanagh and a tired Guthrie. And it almost led us to a goal! Ruiz passed down to Smith in the box, who then teed the ball to McCormack, his curled shot from 20 yards out tipped just round the post by Henderson. Scott Parker was booed by Charlton fans (shouldn't have left Charlton 11 years ago!) and shown a yellow card in the 70th minute for a bad foul on Watt.

We almost made it two in the 77th minute, when Smith held the ball for Ruiz, whose first-time shot fizzed just inches wide. An attack from the Cottagers broke down and Charlton had a chance, this time from Watt. Gudmunsson square the ball to him, who then forced Bettinelli to scramble the shot out for a corner. The game started to open up in the closing stages. Ruiz spotted McCormack making a run and crossed the ball towards him. The Scot missed but Henderson had to move to push the ball clear of the net. Smith almost made it 2-1 again when he caught onto a loose ball, but his shot went way too high. In injury time, Kaĉaniklić managed to win a free kick just outside the box, which McCormack sent just wide as the game finished. A well earned point to keep us out of the relegation zone.

Our next game is at home against Wigan, who we face on Friday. Come on Fulham!

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2015/4/8/8369289/match-report-charlton-athletic-1-fulham-1

WhiteJC

Fulham's Patrick Roberts set for new deal amid Premier League interest

Patrick Roberts has made 19 appearances for Fulham this season.

Fulham are set to reward youngster Patrick Roberts with a new contract in an attempt to fend off reported interest from a number of Premier League clubs.

Roberts, 18, has apparently caught the eye of Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool this season.

The England under-19 international only has one year remaining on his current contract with Fulham, but they are now keen to tie him down to a new deal.

"Pat will be offered a new contract," Fulham manager Pat Symons is quoted as saying by the Evening Standard. "We will look to tie up our best young players. He is a fantastic prospect."

Roberts has made 19 appearances for the Championship club this season, although just three of those were from the start.

Despite his talents, Symons said he thinks it is still a little too early for Roberts to be playing regular first-team football for Fulham.

"We have probably played too many this season," he said. "I inherited a squad and have had to do the best I can with it. There were a lot of young players in that squad and I am conscious of them not getting hurt."

Roberts impressed at the European Under-17 Championship in Malta last summer when he topped the assists chart with four, while scoring a further three.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/2386670/fulham-youngster-patrick-roberts-set-for-new-deal-amid-premier-league-interest?

WhiteJC

PAUL KONCHESKY ENTERS LIVERPOOL'S HALL OF SHAME (AGAIN)

Red failure is voted club's worst ever defender by Ladbrokes News readers

He may have only made 15 league appearances for Liverpool but it's fair to say there remain some fairly unsympathetic critics of Paul Konchesky's performances on Merseyside.

The 33-year-old has been voted the Reds' worst ever defender in Ladbrokes News' latest poll, attracting a (un)healthy 48 per cent of the vote.

Having impressed for West Ham and Fulham, Konchesky was brought to Anfield in the summer of 2010 and reunited with Cottagers mentor, Roy Hodgson.

And as we all know the switch would ultimately prove to be a bridge too far for both parties with neither lasting more than a season at the club.

Konchesky is best remembered for a series of underwhelming displays and gaffes, including this fairly lamentable 'backwards' shot against arch-rivals Everton.

Meanwhile, fellow misfit Djimi Traore (here's a link to THAT own-goal against Burnley) was second on the list.

The likes of Kolo Toure, Glen Johnson, Phillip Degen and Jan Kromkamp brought up the rear although none of our selections covered themselves in glory.

Liverpool face a tricky FA Cup quarter-final away at Blackburn this evening, a match they're priced up as the 13/20 favs to win in 90 minutes.

However, should things go horribly wrong, will we see another candidate for Konchesky's unfortunate accolade emerge?

Poll Result – Who is Liverpool's worst ever defender?

Paul Konchesky – 48%

Djimi Traore – 17%

Kolo Toure – 11%

Glen Johnson – 10%

Phillip Degen – 8%

Jan Kromkamp – 6%

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/polls/paul-konchesky-enters-liverpools-hall-shame-again_231063.html?

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham vs. Wigan Athletic

Wigan Athletic are staring a second relegation in three seasons in the face as they prepare to go into the final five games of the Championship season with a new manager.

Former club captain Gary Caldwell has replaced Malky Mackay and young chairman David Sharpe is hoping the 32-year-old Scot, now the youngest manager in English league football, can steer them to an unlikely escape.

His first game in charge is a key six-pointer at the bottom as the Latics travel South to face Fulham in the capital on Friday night.

Fulham
Wigan's plight has been one of the biggest surprises in the Championship this season, but Fulham are doing nearly as badly following relegation from the Premier League last term.

The Cottagers lasted 13 seasons in the top flight and have not adjusted well to life back in the second tier. They have won just two of their last 16 games to lie two places above the bottom three in 20th place.

They were 21st before last night's match across London at Charlton Athletic, but earned a point at The Valley to move eight points clear of 22nd-placed Millwall, who do have a game in-hand on everyone else in the relegation mix.

Ross McCormack scored in both games over the Easter weekend to end a seven-game streak without a goal, but the £11m man is only on 12 for the season which is 16 less than he managed when top-scoring in the whole division for Leeds United last season.

The Cottagers' form at home has left much to be desired, with just one win in seven games and 12 goals conceded in three straight defeats to Bournemouth, Leeds and Brentford.

Recent form: LDLWLD

Wigan
Wigan stuck by Mackay under Dave Whelan, but his grandson Sharpe hasn't wasted much time in getting rid of the Scot who didn't win a single game at home in less than five months in charge.

Given Mackay's pedigree in getting promoted with Cardiff City, it's surprising how little impact he had on a side that not long ago were in the Premier League and winning the FA Cup. Caldwell has no managerial experience, but Sharpe is confident that this is an appointment for the long term.

Wigan's chances of staying up are extremely slim with just five games to go and an eight-point gap to Rotherham United in 21st just above the drop zone.

What will give the Latics hope is their upcoming three games against Fulham, Millwall and Brighton, all sides in the current bottom six that Caldwell will hope to take a maximum nine points from.

If they don't, closing games against playoff hopefuls Wolverhampton Wanderers and Brentford will be hard to get anything from and they could well be confirmed as down by the time they face the top-six candidates.

They might be without a home win since August, but they have won four of their last five on the road to keep alive their hopes of staying up. There should also be a sizeable away contingent in West London as the club have offered free travel to supporters.

Recent form: LWLDLL

Team News
Matt Smith and McCormack linked up well for the Cottagers' opener at Charlton on Tuesday and the little-and-large duo could again be paired together in attack.

Bryan Ruiz and Alexander Kacaniklic both came off the bench at The Valley and will be hoping to earn a start for Wigan's visit. It's been over a month since promising young Dane Lasse Vigen Christensen's last appearance and he remains a doubt.

New boss Caldwell could make a few changes in his first game in charge as Wigan look to put a stop to a two-game losing streak.

The likes of Jermaine Pennant, Chris McCann and Martyn Waghorn will hope to earn recalls and it seems unlikely that both Marc-Antoine Fortune and Leon Clarke will start in attack.

Fulham possible starting lineup:
Bettinelli; Hoogland, Turner, Burn, Husband; Tunnicliffe, Guthrie, Parker, Ruiz; Smith, McCormack

Wigan possible starting lineup:
Al Habsi; Perch, Maguire, Pearce, Bong; Pennant, McCann, Kim, McClean; Waghorn, Clarke

Referee: Mick Russell

Head To Head
The reverse fixture back on November 1 was a barmy game as six goals and two red cards were shared at the DW Stadium.

The last two meetings have been draws and eight of the last 14 meetings have been stalemates, with Fulham winning the other six to go 14 unbeaten against the Latics.

Wigan's last league win against Fulham came at Craven Cottage in October 2006, when Henri Camara's late goal proved to be the difference.

Video Preview
Hit play below to see what the Sports Mole Sofa had to say about this encounter:

We say: Fulham 1-1 Wigan

It's a must-win game for Wigan, so Fulham should be aiming to make it hard for them as they know that a draw limits the Latics' chances of staying up. Wigan might be in decent form away from home, but it's a huge six-pointer for Caldwell's first game as a manager. A tight 1-1 draw seems the most likely outcome.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/on-the-sofa/preview/preview-fulham-vs-wigan_215995.html

WhiteJC

Stereotypes

Upon hearing the name Fulham, for some of us, it conjures up the notion of 'jolly hockey sticks', a game of 'rugger' with the chaps, and a certain comedy character from the nineties. You know the one, "What an absolutely, thoroughly, bloody nice bloke!" For others of us we immediately think of Danny Murphy's wife. But we are football supporters and if anyone is going to milk the phrase 'stereotype' it's football fans, heaven knows, the Daily Mail readers are mindlessly tarring us with absurd regularity. Yes, I know what I did there.

Surely though there has to be some basis behind stereotypification? Well if I should have ever fancied a game of 'rugger' myself, the 19.01 train to Charlton from London Bridge last night was packed with suitable team mates. Harry Enfield couldn't have mimicked the accents any better, it was a public school outing into unknown territory, a thoroughly exciting time which was to be had by all. I say unknown territory for one lad, speaking to his father (master?) spotted our train pulling into Deptford and proudly proclaimed we had arrived in the Isle of Dogs. Another two were scrolling their smart phones looking for team news. They 'goshed' and 'guffawed' at the away sides selection, yet stared in puzzlement at the Addicks starting eleven. Not one of these fellows had they heard of! Terribly nice lads to share a train with certainly, but bloody dim.

Thankfully around fifteen hundred of them managed to find their way to the ground from the station to watch their side take a step closer to Championship safety. With Rotherham and Millwall both winning over the Easter weekend Fulham had found themselves back in serious contention to join Blackpool in League One next season. I'd like to think if we found ourselves in such a situation (again) we'd manage to encourage slightly more to make a short hop across the capital to rally the troops.

If Fulham are up for the fight we definitely gave some assistance and made it look easier for them. An early soft goal set the tone, to which they could have added if it wasn't for a couple of fine saves from Henderson in either half. If you thought the dreadful day in Bermondsey on Good Friday was just a blip, be warned, we've taken our foot well and truly off the gas and have an eye firmly planted on the June sunshine and sand of some far flung destination. And who can blame them. We've worked our socks off over the past couple of months to ensure safety, now the end can't come quick enough.

In the Charlton way and true to form this wasn't going to be just an end of season game to forget. We've long memories in SE7, Fulham and bad refereeing decisions go hand in hand. Poetic justice then that our equaliser rustled a few Fulham feathers as they believed a flag should have been raised for offside. A lot of us thought the same but, well, what goes around and all that.

Then of course there was Scott Parker. If you wanted to go down the stereotype road again you'd presume we'd boo him all night long. Well, long memories to the rescue again, we did. I've seen articles today on forums and other such dreaded places I really shouldn't venture near stating that it's time we grew up, he was a young lad influenced by pound signs before the eyes. Well I say bugger that. He knew what he was doing and he could have moved on to the 'big time' with a lot more class than he did. But of course that's all water under the bridge for him isn't it? Judging by the way he squabbled and made gestures to the supporters in the North stand he despises us more than we do him. My biggest grumble was our choice of song. "One greedy bastard" sang the covered end choir forgetting of course that there is Jermaine Defoe in a similar bracket and Diego Poyet too for that matter. Perhaps "Average greedy bastard" would make him feel less superior should he ever return? However, the chorus of "that's why you're going down" after the most calamitous of quick free kicks was nothing short of superb.

A Fulham free kick on the edge of the box in stoppage time had the makings of a Parker finale but thankfully we were spared the arrogance as he left it for a teammate to kick high and wide. A point a piece and on reflection a fair outcome. The last floodlit fixture at the Valley of the season and the last late night train ride home. As we queued by the shut platform gates we caught brief moments of conversations around us. This Fulham chum was mentioning something about how both he and his lady friend had shed a tear when they went to see Les Mis. I kid you not. But as my comrade Jim quite rightly pointed out, next time we are stood here it will be in the middle of a group of Leeds fans. Now if you're going to start talking about stereotyping...

http://algordoncafc.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/stereotypes.html

WhiteJC

Sold in January, two giants reportedly want ex-Fulham & Manchester City trainee

Seeing a lack of progress in his career in England, Marcello Trotta returned to his native Italy with Avellino in January.

On from Marcello Trotta's agent admitting to meeting with Juventus, Tutto Mercato Web have reported interest from Napoli, said to be scouting the former Partenopei prospect.

It was with Napoli that the young striker first cut his teeth in football, spending five years in the youth ranks with the Campanian club before departing the peninsula for England.

Trotta first joined the Manchester City academy as a 16-year-old but quickly swapped the North West for London, joining Fulham after just three months with the Citizens.

According to Trotta himself, he arrived on English shores alone to take on a new adventure, seeking to soak up a foreign language and discover a new perspective on football.

But while the Italian was prolific for the Cottagers' U-21 side – scoring 24 goals in 33 games – he was never able to break through at the Premier League level.

Loan spells with Brentford and Wycombe Wanderers saw him impress in League One, but he would only ever make two appearances in the top two divisions.

Trotta turned out once in the Championship for Watford and only saw three minutes of Premier League action, in April 2012 against Bolton Wanderers.

Spending the first half of this season on loan at Barnsley, the 22-year-old took the decision to call time on his career in England in January, returning to his homeland.

With Trotta's contract set to expire in the summer, the Craven Cottage outfit offloaded the striker to Serie B side Avellino – and at the Stadio Partenio, he's taken off.

Trotta wasted little time establishing himself as a first choice option in attack, and has hit four goals in 10 Serie B appearances, earning plaudits for seizing his opportunity.

An Italy U-21 international, Trotta maintained a solid profile in his homeland in his years abroad, with his triumphant return seeming to confirm the positive feeling surrounding him in the peninsula.

Tutto Mercato Web had claimed that Juventus immediately dispatched scouts to watch the youngster, Trotta's agent confirming an informal approach from the Serie A champions.

Now, the same outlet is reporting that Napoli have too sat up and taken notice of their former youth player, observing him in equal measure.

While on loan at Brentford in September 2013, Trotta admitted that he hoped to one day represent Napoli, having grown up just outside Naples and left the club as a teenager.

What the Italian likely never believed would happen in coming back to Italy just a few months ago is that Juventus and Napoli could be doing battle for his signature in the summer.

Trotta's career has undergone a massive turnaround in a short time, although he'll have to sustain his success at Avellino to ultimately earn a move to one of Serie A's giants.

Repatriating so far appears to have been exactly what the former Fulham man needed to spark his rise to upper echelon of football – and now Trotta must use interest from two of Italy's big boys as motivation to kick on and break through to the top flight.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/04/08/ic-sold-in-january-two-giants-reportedly-want-ex-fulham-manchest/?

WhiteJC

Meet The Ref - Fulham v Latics - Mick Russell

Latics travel down to London on Friday to face Fulham at the Cottage, last chance saloon? I believe that we have already drank there and spilt our beer, but a win could put pressure on both Rotherham and Fulham which would make the last four games of the season interesting to say the least.

This will also be Gary Caldwell's first game as Latics boss, I'm sure that he'll have the squad fired up, making sure that all is fair on the field of play will be Hertfordshire official Mick Russell.

Although he's been a league ref for 14 years this will only be Russell's second Latics game, usually found around the lower reaches of the Football League our paths hadn't crossed until January this year when he was incharge of our defeat away at Birmingham.

Russell made the news for all the wrong reasons back in 2012, during a Yorkshire derby between Huddersfield Town and Sheffield Wednesday he did what is commonly known as a 'Graham Poll', he booked the same player twice (Jeremy Helan Sheff Weds), but failed to send him off! His excuse was that he recorded the wrong number in his notebook, not a great eye for detail then.

Mick Russell Card Watch 2014/15

Games - 28
Yellows - 71
Reds 4

Fulham v Wigan Athletic
Referee - MICK RUSSELL
Assistants - Andrew Fox and Geoffrey Russell
Fourth Official - Andy D'Urso

Read more: http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=395664#ixzz3Wp9gHNoB

WhiteJC

'Amorebieta and Tiendalli slotted in with no problems at all', says Jonathan Woodgate

Jonathan Woodgate says it was fine debuting Boro loanees Dwight Tiendalli and Fernando Amorebieta at Watford

Skipper Jonathan Woodgate believes the two new faces in the back four will beef up Boro for a tense promotion run-in.

Head coach Aitor Karanka made a big call for the Easter Monday summit six-pointer at Watford as he gave his new loan signings their debuts.

The Spanish supremo signed giant Venezualan-born Basque centre-back Fernando Amorebieta and Dutch international full-back Dwight Tiendalli from Swansea before the loan transfer window closed last week.

He introduced both to the starting line-up at Watford and questions were raised over teething troubles in that selection as Boro crashed to a 2-0 defeat in the key clash.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/amorebieta-tiendalli-slotted-no-problems-9005467?

WhiteJC

Any Previous? - Fulham v Latics

Latics meet Fulham on Friday at Craven Cottage, a fixture down the years that has seen the Cottagers enjoy the lion's share of our 43 meetings:

Latics 10 wins, Fulham 18, draws 15.

The Latics actually had a decent record against Fulham, that is until the 28th October 2006, we won that day away at Craven Cottage thanks to a late Henri Camara goal, since then we have gone 14 games and never been on the winning side!

Games between the two sides, no matter how they end up, are usually tight affairs, of the 43 games, 30 have either been draws or settled by the odd goal and only on one occasion has there been more than two goals separating the clubs at the end of a game, that was back in November 1989 when Fulham smashed us 4-0 at Craven Cottage in front of 3,156 spectators.

The first time the two clubs met was back in October 1986 in a Division Three game, the Latics ran out 2-0 winners at Springfield Park, just to mention that season 1986/87, we finished 4th and were very unlucky to lose in the play-off's to Swindon, Bournemouth finished up Division Three champions, whilst Bolton ended the season in 21st spot and were relegated to Division Four. I don't know why I felt compelled to mention that...hmm.

The Last Six Meetings

01 Nov 2014 - Championship - Latics 3 Fulham 3
02 Jan 2013 - Premier League - Fulham 1 Latics 1
22 Sep 2012 - Premier League - Latics 1 Fulham 2
21 Apr 2012 - Premier League - Fulham 2 Latics 1
29 Oct 2011 - Premier League - Latics 0 Fulham 2
15 Jan 2011 - Premier League - Latics 1 Fulham 1

Last Time Out

Latics 3 Fulham 3
Goal scorers: Latics - Forshaw (pen) 9, Espinoza 54, Maloney 82 mins
Fulham - Christensen 30, Ruiz 36 & 86 mins (pen)
Referee - James Adcock
Attendance - 12,084

Teams

Latics - Carson, Tavernier, Huws (McClean 61), McManaman (Maloney 81), Espinoza (Ramis 87), Cowie, Barnett (Capt), Forshaw, Kiernan, Figueroa, Fortune
Unused subs - Nicholls, Waghorn, Kvist, Delort

Fulham - Bettinelli, Stafylidis, Bodurov, Parker (Capt), Ruiz, Zverotic, Rodallega, Vigen, Williams(Dembele 84), Burn, McCormack
Unused subs - Kiraly, Hutchinson, Roberts, Woodrow, Hyndman, David

Read more: http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=395666#ixzz3WpALeORf

WhiteJC

Latics Free Travel Offer To Fulham Extended

The free travel offer to Fulham for Latics Friday night encounter as been extended to 5pm today (Thursday).

Supporters wishing to take advantage of the complimentary coach offer to Fulham now have until Thursday afternoon, 5.00pm to secure their travel ticket - subject to availability.

The club can confirm there has been a good response to the offer to supply free coach travel to and from London for Friday night`s crucial Sky Bet Championship encounter against Fulham at Craven Cottage and that extra seats have been made available beyond the original deadline of 2.00pm Wednesday.

Latics enter a new era with new manager Gary Caldwell in charge for the first time and he has already spoken of the importance of the supporters over these coming weeks.: 'The supporters have stuck by the team this season and we need them more than ever, starting with Fulham. They can make such a huge difference.'

ALL SUPPORTERS PURCHASING A TICKET FROM THE DW STADIUM TICKET OFFICE WILL RECEIVE A COMPLIMENTARY COACH TICKET.

Read more: http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=395703#ixzz3WpAhnMrt

WhiteJC

Parker Praises Fans

Scott Parker praised the efforts of the Fulham fans who made the trip to The Valley on Tuesday evening.

The away supporters were in fine voice throughout the 90 minutes, and were duly rewarded with a valuable point.

"I thought the fans did really well," Parker told the official website. "The travelling fans sung really well, got behind us and it was a great following. They've been fantastic with us this year, to be honest.

"I've said it many a time, there's been times that have been really disappointing and we've not given them a lot to shout about, but they still come and support us which is pleasing and we really appreciate that support."

The Captain didn't receive quite such a positive reception from the home crowd, though, and was roundly booed whenever he was in possession.

He made 145 appearances for Charlton Athletic prior to leaving for Chelsea more than 11 years ago, but it seems time isn't a great healer in SE7.

"It doesn't really bother me," he stated. "It's a bit pantomime isn't it, with the bad guy. It's a shame but it is what it is. It's fine, I don't let it bother me one bit really."

Fulham have taken four points off the Addicks now this season, but Parker was left frustrated that number isn't six.

"I thought we probably should have won the game," he admitted. "We were the better team. We scored an early goal and at times dominated the first half.

"They obviously got back into it – although the goal was offside, it was clear to see – but other than that I thought we controlled the game quite well and it seemed like there was only one team that was going to win it second half, and that was us.

"It was a good team performance, I thought we looked quite solid. In the first half there were times after we scored when they put us under a little bit of pressure and put some crosses into the box, but we dealt with that quite well and defended quite well.

"So we're a little bit disappointed we've only come away with a point. But a point away from home in a London derby, we'll take that as we need to keep adding to our total."

Kit Symons' men are thrown straight back into action as Wigan Athletic make the journey south on Friday (8pm), and a win for the home side would move us 12 points clear of the Latics.

They go into the fixture led by former captain Gary Caldwell who was promoted to manager on Tuesday, and Parker is anticipating a gritty encounter under the Cottage floodlights.

"It will be an edgy game," he stated. "Obviously they're down there and it will be a battle. When a new manager comes in it normally gives a team a lift, so we'll see how it goes.

"We need to adopt the same formula as we did on Tuesday. We need to be hard to beat, defend well, and build on that, because we're a very good team. I think we can see that – we play through units very well and we always look to attack.

"I think sometimes during this year defensively – and that's all of us, not just defenders – we've struggled a little bit at times. So we need to carry the Charlton performance into Friday."

Tickets for Friday's game are available to purchase on General Sale, priced from £25 adults and £10 juniors. Prices increase by £5 on matchday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/april/09/parker-praises-fans?

WhiteJC

Triple defensive doubt for Fulham

Fulham have doubts over defenders Jack Grimmer, Jazz Richards and Nikolay Bodurov ahead of the crucial clash with fellow strugglers Wigan.

Grimmer is carrying a knee injury, Richards has a calf problem and Bodurov is struggling to shake off the knock he suffered against Brentford on Good Friday, with all three players missing Tuesday night's 1-1 draw at Charlton.

Shaun Hutchinson returns after a two-match ban and Moussa Dembele is available after a hamstring injury, but Lasse Vigen Christensen (hamstring) and George Williams (cruciate) are still out.

Brian Ruiz could come into the starting line-up after a lively cameo as a substitute at The Valley. New Wigan boss Gary Caldwell will pick a team for the first time at senior level having been swiftly ushered in following Malky Mackay's exit on Monday.

The 32-year-old said on Wednesday he had not yet thought about who he would select at Craven Cottage for a fixture which could effectively seal Latics' relegation into the third tier.

He will be unable to pick himself after officially announcing his retirement upon being unveiled and Grant Holt (knee), Emyr Huws (ankle) and Don Cowie (hamstring) are all unavailable too.

Latics have struggled for goals this season and Caldwell would instantly curry favour with supporters if he handed Martyn Waghorn a first start since January.

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/wigan-athletic/triple-defensive-doubt-for-fulham-1765296.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Wigan preview
Fulham have doubts over defenders Jack Grimmer, Jazz Richards and Nikolay Bodurov ahead of Friday night's crucial Sky Bet Championship clash with Wigan at Craven Cottage.

Jack Grimmer: Remains an injury concern for Fulham

Grimmer is carrying a knee injury, Richards has a calf problem and Bodurov is struggling to shake off the knock he suffered against Brentford on Good Friday, with all three players missing Tuesday night's 1-1 draw at Charlton.

Shaun Hutchinson returns after a two-match ban and Moussa Dembele is available after a hamstring injury, but Lasse Vigen Christensen (hamstring) and George Williams (cruciate) are still out.

Brian Ruiz could come into the starting line-up after a lively cameo as a substitute at The Valley.

New Wigan boss Gary Caldwell will pick a team for the first time at senior level having been swiftly ushered in following Malky Mackay's exit on Monday.

The 32-year-old said on Wednesday he had not yet thought about who he would select at Craven Cottage for a fixture which could effectively seal Latics' relegation into the third tier.

He will be unable to pick himself after officially announcing his retirement upon being unveiled - and Grant Holt (knee), Emyr Huws (ankle) and Don Cowie (hamstring) are all unavailable too.

Latics have struggled for goals this season and Caldwell would instantly curry favour with supporters if he handed Martyn Waghorn a first start since January.

http://www.football365.com/match/3740352/preview?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Wigan

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Friday, 10 April Kick-off: 20:00 BST
Coverage: Watch highlights on The Football League Show; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

Fulham could be without defenders Jack Grimmer (knee), Jazz Richards (calf) and Nikolay Bodurov (knock) for the visit of Wigan.

Midfielder Danny Guthrie (calf) is a doubt but centre-back Shaun Hutchinson returns after a two-match ban.

Gary Caldwell takes charge of his first game as Wigan manager following the sacking of Malky Mackay.

Caldwell will be without striker Grant Holt (knee), while midfielders Emyr Huws and Don Cowie are unavailable.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-Head
• The earlier meeting this season ended as a 3-3 draw at the DW Stadium in November.
• Fulham are unbeaten in the last 14 meetings, winning six. Wigan's last win was 1-0 at Craven Cottage in the Premier League in October 2006.
• Fulham have won four of the last six meetings at Craven Cottage, drawing the other two.

Fulham
• Fulham have won only one of their last seven games. Their only win since February was 2-0 at Huddersfield on 21 March.
• Fulham have lost their last three home games, conceding 12 goals. Their last win at Craven Cottage was 2-0 against Derby on 28 February.

Wigan
• Wigan have lost three of their last four games, drawing the other. Their last win was 2-1 at Rotherham on 14 March.
• Wigan lost their last away game 1-0 at Middlesbrough on 3 April, having won their previous four games on the road.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32172417

WhiteJC

Kit's Wigan Preview

It's been a busy week for Friday's opponents Wigan Athletic, who relieved Malky Mackay of his duties and moved to appoint former player Gary Caldwell as their new boss in a final bid to beat the drop.

Fulham Manager Kit Symons, though, says that his side will address the fixture no differently.

"We approach the game in the same way as if Malky was in charge," he stated in his pre-match press conference. "We've done our homework on them as a team.

"Gary could come in and change things around dramatically, change the system, change the personnel, but we can only prepare and try and get as much information on the opposition as we can, which we've done, and prepare the players properly for that.

"I was a little bit surprised to see Malky go. It's always disappointing and unfortunate when you see another manager lose their job.

"Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast and it goes with the territory, but also we've had that a couple of times when we've played teams straight after a managerial change, so we're used to it now.

"We're at home in front of the Craven Cottage faithful so it's down to us to take the game by the scruff of the neck and make sure we do the job."

However, Symons was not overly surprised at the decision to appoint 32-year-old former Latics captain Caldwell on a permanent basis.

"He's someone who knows the club very well," Symons stated. "So in that respect it's not too much of a shock. I'm sure they've got their reasons for doing it so it's not a massive surprise."

Symons was also asked in the press conference about the influence of Alan Curbishley, who joined the club in an advisory capacity.

"It's been a massive help to me, bringing in someone of Alan's experience," he admitted. "He's been low key, he's only come in for a short period of time and it's all very relaxed.

"He's a good football person and a good guy and he fits in perfectly with what we want to do at this Football Club.

"My staff have been excellent and what they've done is tremendous. They are young, diligent and very hard working, but what we haven't got is that experience, which Alan has."

There was speculation about the future of Patrick Roberts in the press this week, and while Symons admitted that it has not been the ideal season to throw the youngster in, he insists he has a big future with the Whites.

"Pat's a really exciting young player who I think has got a huge future for this Football Club," he stated. "This very, very challenging season in the Championship has probably not been an ideal time to blood a young player of Pat's stature.

"It's been difficult, he would have wanted a lot more game time which I understand, and I'd expect that to be the case, but he's realistic about where the Club is and the situation we're in, and he's keen to help in any way he can."

Tickets for Friday's game are available to purchase on General Sale, priced from £25 adults and £10 juniors. Prices increase by £5 on matchday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/april/09/kits-wigan-preview?

WhiteJC

Preparing for a Wigan Invasion?

Our dalliance away from Saturday kick-offs hits us again this week.

With other events hogging the limelight, but I won`t give them the publicity they don`t deserve, Fulham will be entertaining Wigan Athletic in what is being termed a crucial relegation battle.

Well that might be the case with Wigan but after grabbing a point against Charlton Athletic, on Tuesday, I reckon we`re possibly safe.

But Wigan are adrift in the relegation places and know that desperately need a win if they are going to muster a last gasp relegation escape.

However they`ve not given up and there could be a fair contingent of Wigan supporters at Craven Cottage this Friday evening with the club offering free coach travel to and from Craven Cottage for those buying match tickets.

David Sharpe, who took over recently from Dave Whelan, has remarked about the plan,

'We have a huge five games ahead of us and we will keep fighting to stay in this division, starting on Friday.

'We need the supporters to come to London and back the team.

'This is when we need to stick together as a football club, on and off the field, starting on Friday.'

So that`ll be about five coaches instead of the usual one then!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=395751#ixzz3WsFZxYnZ

WhiteJC

Celtic consider summer move for ex-Leeds United striker

Scottish giants Celtic are considering a summer move for Fulham striker Ross McCormack, according to FLW sources.

FLW understands that scouts from the SPL champions were present at The Valley to watch the Scotland international in action for Fulham against Charlton Athletic on Tuesday evening.

Ronny Deila's Celtic are currently top of the Scottish Premiership, and are seemingly on the look out for more firepower going into next season.

The former Leeds United forward fired the Cottagers into an early lead in the match, in what was the striker's 14th goal of the Sky Bet Championship season.

Fulham shelled out a sizeable £11 million to buy McCormack from Leeds United last summer, and it is very unlikely that he will be sold again for a sum of that magnitude.

His form with Fulham this season is somewhat mediocre compared to that of last season, with the Scotland international notching an impressive 29 goals last season for Leeds United.

Kit Symons' Fulham side have endured a torrid season and currently sit in 20th place in the Sky Bet Championship, having accumulated 44 points from 41 league games.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/celtic-consider-summer-move-for-ex-leeds-united-striker/?

WhiteJC

D.C. United Designated Player Eddie Johnson's Career Likely Over

After playing for eight clubs across four countries, Eddie Johnson's career looks to be over due to a a heart condition.

Eddie Johnson, who joined D.C. United as a Designated Player prior to the 2014 MLS season, career is presumably over. It has been reported by Steven Goff of the Washington Post, via Twitter, that D.C. United is anticipating salary cap relief this year because of Eddie Johnson health issues.

Goff tweeted: "D.C. United anticipating salary cap relief this year bec of Eddie Johnson health issues. Career likely over. Lawyers & union involved."

Johnson, 31, has been battling an ongoing issue involving a serious heart condition. He missed United's entire 2015 preseason and so far the entire regular season. The last time he player for United was during the second leg of the Eastern Conference semifinals on November 8th, 2014.

Johnson entered MLS in 2001 when he was drafted in the second round of the 2001 MLS SuperDraft as a Project-40 player by the Dallas Burn. From 2001-2005, he appeared in 84 games and scored 24 goals. In 2006, he was traded to the Kansas City Wizards due to salary cap issues with Dallas. In two years, he appeared in 43 games and only scored 17 goals.

In 2008, Johnson joined Fulham and was loaned to Cardiff City for the 2009-2009 season. During his time with Cardiff, he only scored two goals in 30 appearances. After his loan with Cardiff, he was sent to Greek side Aris Thessaloniki for another loan. During his time with Fulham he scored no goals in only 19 appearances. He had a little more success is Greece has he scored five goals in 14 appearances with the club.

The Montreal Impact selected him via the allocation process on February 17, 2012. The next day, he was traded to the Seattle Sounders in exchange for Lamar Neagle and Mike Fucito. He made an immediate impact while with the Sounders. He led the team in scoring during his two years with the club. He was also selected for the 2012 MLS All-Star team and scored the game-winning goal against Chelsea.

His time with the Sounders came to an end prior to the start of the 2014 season. Near the end of the 2013 MLS season, he was not happy with his current contract and made open pleas for a new deal. During a match against the Columbus Crew, he made a "pay me" gesture after scoring a goal instead of celebrating with his team. The Sounders traded him to D.C. United in exchange for allocation money. He appeared in only 30 games for United across all competitions and scored nine goals.

In his career, he has appeared in over 328 matches and scored 90 goals at the club level. He also has made 63 appearances for the USMNT, scoring 19. If this is the end of his career, it is a sad end to a once promising athlete.

http://www.vavel.com/en-us/soccer/473911-d-c-united-designated-player-eddie-johnson-s-career-likely-over.html?