watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Babies names

Started by stevehawkinslidingtackle, December 01, 2014, 05:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevehawkinslidingtackle

My cousin's first son was born recently so was looking for inspiration for a name. Top 100 UK names for boys used for 2014 have been published. Interesting front runner there. Sign of things to come I suppose ?

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a25011625/top-baby-boy-names-2014

Berserker

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

ron

Important that the given (Christian?) name doesn't clash with the surname so that it is difficult to say, or gives an unwanted rhyme, or creates an unintended meaning. The other thing to consider is the initials for the same reasons....

.........apart from that, go for what you like !

Berserker

If I had a boy I would have liked to have called him Jack

- Martin Luther King Jr.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Berserker on December 01, 2014, 05:54:57 PM

Haha funny that. The Mrs is having our son in January and we've already decided it will be Jack.

Jack Smith, a name suited to that of a future Fulham legend (I hope)
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Incredible that Muhammed is top.

As the op geezer with the unfortunate 'name' says  "Sign of things to come"
although it looks like it has.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

BigbadBillyMcKinley

To be fair, Muhammad has been in the top ten of names for decades, no surprise it's top.

My brother is called Jack and isn't too shabby at Left Back.....

Or just call him Vyvian and have some stars stuck to his head.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: sunburywhite on December 01, 2014, 07:18:19 PM
Winston

Was a Camel or Lucky Strike man, myself. Though they'd be interesting to say the least, I don't find them to be good baby names.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on December 01, 2014, 07:21:47 PM
To be fair, Muhammad has been in the top ten of names for decades, no surprise it's top.

Not sure about the top 10 for 'decades' statement mate. If you have evidence of that I'll willingly shave me eyebrows off.

RidgeRider

I am partial to name #3 on the list.  :022:

RidgeRider

+1

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on December 01, 2014, 07:21:47 PM

Ummmm......if you look at the same list for 2013 on that same website, Muhammad is #28.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Southcoastffc

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on December 01, 2014, 05:58:47 PM

Haha funny that. The Mrs is having our son in January and we've already decided it will be Jack.

Jack Smith, a name suited to that of a future Fulham legend (I hope)
Congrats on the impending birth.    Muhammed Smith does have a ring to it you know....... :021:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Shredhead

If we'd had a boy he would have been called Harvey, after my favourite brewer (at the time, now I prefer Dark Star I would have had to change his name by deed poll to that).
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

Peppo

If you want a name that is both distinctive and probably unique how about Haynes.

Forever Fulham

There's a theory floating around -- can't remember where I read it -- that mothers (who apparently have far more decision making power over naming rights than that of the husband or simply father) name their newborn in large part through the lens of pop culture.  TV soap operas, which were once the province of day time television, but now have crept, disguised, into prime time evening hours, supply the 'source material' for impressionable young women to name their babies.  And there are unspoken rules to such programming content's characters. So you end up with exotic names for the female leads: Pilar, Marissa, Sidney, Dakota, Alexandra, Rachel, Paris, etc.; and staid conventional names for the male 'good guys': David, John, Michael, Joseph, Peter, Thomas.  And swarthy European; latin, or bloc country names for the 'bad boys': Stephano, Dimitri, Roberto.  When a famous TV show's character is unappealing or otherwise perceived as an historic relic, that fact can have a profound effect upon baby naming.  Gone from the most-named list are Hazel, Ethel, Darin, Maude, Perry, Dawn, Betty.  I guess the names are a reflection of perceived qualities in modern role models which are usually manifested in fictional character's names.  And since everyone watches TV, that's the current most-used source for those role modes.  What was once the Bible, or great books, or famous leaders, is now replaced in large part with the pop culture of the moment.  Then you get the overlay of regionalism.  In Texas, for instance, you get a lot of Chase, Hunter, Derek, James, Hector, Juan.  And African American names.  Got to love them.  But now there's a backlash by black mothers of a certain educational level or higher against historically black names, the names automatically associated with blacks.  There's a perception those names will hold their children back, deny them opportunities for jobs and advancement.  Some even apply a gender filter, so keen is their filter for discrimination.  So, they take the easy race and gender markers out of the name.  Baby girl names become Alexandra ("Alex"); Cameron ("Cam"); Sidney ("Sid"). New England Indeterminate. It's as if the moment's struggles get played out in naming conventions.  Now, as to Mohammed as a top choice for England...

Logicalman

FF,
Good piece of writing there sir, and makes a lot of sense, especially the last item, as the lesser educated names still tend to be derived from more established historical names, just with a variance in spelling.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Berserker

I was born Louise but that was changed when I was adopted. I have had three surnames in my life

- Martin Luther King Jr.

love4ffc

My misses is all about names and truly believes in having a family connection.   Her family can trace their roots back to England and Ireland through both the Magna Carta and the potato famine.   

Daughter's name is Caitlin Farley and the son is Liam Staurt.  Both first names she picked to have a tie back to Ireland and both middle names are family surnames that trace back to family ties in England. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?