News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Somebody Pinch Me! U.S. dominates Mexico.

Started by Forever Fulham, April 16, 2015, 04:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

OK, OK, I know what many of you are thinking.  Mexico didn't have at least 3, perhaps 4, of its best players tonight against the U.S.M.N.T.  But look at who was missing from the U.S. team!  No Dempsey, no German-based Americans, the tall skinny Nordic kid (what the hell is his name?!  God, I'm getting old.), none of the top 3 goalkeepers.  Instead, they trotted out a host of young MLS talent who, for the most, beat the Mexican team to just about every single 50/50 ball, who jumped on every momentary loss of possession to poke, pry, push, and pull the ball from the control of their Mexican opponents.  2-0.  Clean sheet. No let up.  Attack, attack, attack.  And the ball control in tight spaces was simply terrific (well, let's not talk about Brek Shea).  Couldn't find a more friendly environment in the U.S. for the Mexico team to play than San Antonio.  What is it now -- 70% Hispanic?   And then, when Juan Aguadelo scored the second goal for the U.S., the crowd erupted.  Kind of fascinating to see the Mexican Americans cheering so hard for Juan's goal.  The camera panned around the fans.  Gave me a lump in the throat.  Hatter, were you in the stands? 

YankeeJim

That was the poorest Mexico team I have ever seen. The US was no great shakes either. The kid from Stanford (Jordon Morris) looks like a bright prospect. Bradley looked the best I've seen of him since before the WC. Diskerud looked strong on both side of the ball. I wasn't impressed with Zardes but it might just have been my hatred of his hairdo. I hate skunks. I thought the other new kids Garza, Corona & Alvarado did ok. Alvarado looks like he could figure in the back line in the near future. Given that Jones is old, Gonzales is mistake prone and Cameron plays a solid rt back for Stoke, it is none to soon.

Since the 2002 WC cycle the US is 13-5-5 against Mexico. The idea of El Tri  as the dominant team in CONCACAF is 20+ years out of date.

On the other hand, if this is the next generation of Mexican talent, they'll struggle getting to the next two WC's.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Forever Fulham

YJ, as I was watching that game, I was thinking to myself, 'Is the Mexican team on the pitch as ordinary in skill as they seem to me, or have we gotten that much better?'   Blowing by them, ball on foot.  Cutting and swerving, possessing our way up, gang defending with high pressure a la Southampton.  Taking chances.  Got to be a big boost to the players to succeed at playing that way. 

love4ffc

They made the us look like we are all that and a bag of chips. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

YankeeJim

I think the poor condition of the pitch hampered Mexico's game more than us. Even with that, I wasn't impressed with them at all. They seemed unfit and slow. Bradley & Diskerud made their midfield look like Fulham against (insert Championship club name here) and were clearly the two best players on the pitch. My though was that if this is the future for Mexico dos a cero is going to become quatro a cero & Honduras & Panama will be fighting for position #3 in CONCACAF with Mexico chasing Jamaica for the playoff spot. Life is good!

Schadenfreude! Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

love4ffc

The CONCACAF Gold Cup will be held in Atlanta July 22nd.  Planning on going if anyone is interested in joining. 

Forever Fulham

End of July in Atlanta.  Just the thought of that is making my shirt stick to my skin, and sweat start to run down my collar.  Humid and miserable.   Still, I might go anyway.  I'll mark the date.

YankeeJim

Quote from: love4ffc on April 17, 2015, 08:25:07 PM
The CONCACAF Gold Cup will be held in Atlanta July 22nd.  Planning on going if anyone is interested in joining.  

FF, that would be a great birthday present for me. You can send the ticket & hotel reservation to me or I can just picked up from the limo driver you send. I'm sure that Tony, Roger, Don & Coastie would be happy to donate as well.  :008:

valdeingruo

Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

love4ffc

Quote from: andersons11 on April 20, 2015, 01:02:56 PM
Wont be in country :Get Coat gif:

Is that why we don't hear much from you ole boy? 

YankeeJim

Andy,
Don't know where you'll be but given your profession, be safe my friend.