News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is McCormack being much better as a top two a problem?

Started by Jonaldiniho 88, April 28, 2015, 11:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonaldiniho 88

One of the stand out players of the season and I like almost everything about the way he goes about his game. Good at set pieces, clinical, very selfless and good at assist.

The only thing is he is best with someone up top with him and we have been a walk over in midfield all season and really haven't tried five in the middle. We have left our defence especially the wing backs exposed and although kaka, Roberts and Williams may not be good enough to play and defend well in a flat four or diamond but with more bodies in there and one up top we could have set up better against teams that were obviously going to attack down the flanks.

Without naming the gk or defence (and the players I'm picking in midfield are interchangeable) but;

Gk
   Rb.  Cb.   Cb.  Lb
            Tunni.
    Parker.    Guthrie/ fof/ lvc
Roberts.                           Kaka
                  Ross
This I don't think was tried and as I mentioned it doesn't have to be these players but is the reason because Ross is our best player and unsuited to it? He is probably my first on the team sheet. With this formation he wouldn't be on his own upfront as the wingers could support him and swap positions. Just a thought against teams who tend to overrun other midfields. Bit late now I suppose

FPT

I completely agree with your sentiment, I'm not convinced as to whether he could lead the line, but then again, I don't think we've really tried otherwise, and if he is going to be the lone striker - I agree with the system; as like Messi, he can become a false nine with central midfielders and wingers breaking ahead of him, which is the vital part of the system.

I also think that Christensen largely benefits from the three in midfield, so he can be a true box-to-box midfield and not have be shackled by an arguably 'stricter' two man central midfield partnership. I would like to see Danny Guthrie be the deepest midfielder of a 433; Guthrie can be the throttle/accelerator - controlling the speed and power, with Christensen and a 'other' acting as the cylinders which intake, compress, power and exhaust. In short, Danny Guthrie can control the game from deep, and Christensen with another like him moves the game from A to B and beyond the "brakes" if you will of Ross McCormack were he to lead the line on his own. I like comparing Christensen to Ramsey in that sort of, more dynamic Frank Lampard style - a lot of Aaron Ramsey's goals come from him going beyond Giroud - the lone striker.

Anyway, I've rambled, but you're not alone in fears with Ross on his own, for it to work I think we'd need to be a side that dominates possession consistently.

Another way to get the numbers in midfield, as well as having two strikers is with the three man defence. Example:

----------------Bettinelli-------------
-----Bodurov----Burn-----Hutchinson
Grimmer-------Guthrie---------Kavanagh
-------Christensen-----Parker------------
--------McCormack------Dembele

I know that doesn't look as good as it should, but you get the point with our likely June 1st squad. Of course, it then shares the worry we've had this season with regards to width, but the two wider centre backs should give more of a license for the full backs to be positioned further forward naturally. Again, just spitballing. It's a difficult summer for Kit and Rigg of how to approach the summer - do we build a squad for a specific shape and to get the best out of certain players? Or do we build a good squad that can be flexible but could bring the issue of what's our best system and team? All I know is that the management should know by now and have a shortlist written up.

*Quick sub note, watching Barcelona tonight neither one of Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez or Neymar were out of the line up and you could argue all three want to be the 'main man in the middle.' I do think that Ross could be a 'inside-left forward' in a 433, but again would rely on us retaining a hell of a lot of the ball and having a left back that would be adept at both attacking and defending to cover and overlap Ross's inevitable insistency to cut and drift inside as well as struggling to cover his man quickly.

*Quick note two, what about a 4231 with two direct wingers and a player in behind him? Then he can occupy and float around the two centre backs with a threat of passes wide and in behind. Certainly a conundrum.

Jonaldiniho 88

Love the post FTP. I think we should have tried it at least away from home against strong opposition. I worry a back three couldn't be played unless it was played for every game. It could but it could be another destabilising change at the back. I don't get the Roberts kaka aren't good enough because they can't defend. Some systems don't require them to do so much defending. Hoog could play instead of Roberts to sure it up. As I said it's prob a plan b but not the worst IMO.

Whitesideup

All theory. Over-complicated theory.

We need effective wide players who can defend as well as attack. We don't have them.

We need effective central midfield players who can break up play and pass the ball quickly and effectively. That rules out Parker ...Tunni? jury still out, but not looking that positive from my point of view. Guthrie for me best performer in midfield this year ...though I really liked the look of Hyndman earlier in the year. 

I think Smith has looked alright. He is not as one-dimensional as his height suggests. He could be part of the plan. But the plan should not be based on hoof it football. Apart from its limitations and the ease with which teams would adapt to it, we'd have to be able to change if he was injured/suspended.

Keep it simple. Do it well. Do it extremely well = success.

YankeeJim

Just my opinion, but I like him behind a lead striker. Putting him of top means the ball has a longer way to go to get to him, even without our lousy midfield.
I like him with the ball running at players and somebody like Smith as an outlet. He is best when he has the ball and being up top, he'd see less of it.
How was he used at Leeds?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Whitesideup on April 29, 2015, 12:11:04 AM
All theory. Over-complicated theory.

We need effective wide players who can defend as well as attack. We don't have them.

We need effective central midfield players who can break up play and pass the ball quickly and effectively. That rules out Parker ...Tunni? jury still out, but not looking that positive from my point of view. Guthrie for me best performer in midfield this year ...though I really liked the look of Hyndman earlier in the year. 

I think Smith has looked alright. He is not as one-dimensional as his height suggests. He could be part of the plan. But the plan should not be based on hoof it football. Apart from its limitations and the ease with which teams would adapt to it, we'd have to be able to change if he was injured/suspended.

Keep it simple. Do it well. Do it extremely well = success.

How is it all theory? What we have played was all theory until we put it into practice. As I said the players can be changed but Parker, tunni and lvc/fof/Guthrie/hoog/kav/Ruiz/whoever you want could play with two wider players ahead of them and leave Ross up top. Do I need to list the players who could play there? 451 is hardly a theory. It's been done before

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: YankeeJim on April 29, 2015, 12:53:09 AM
Just my opinion, but I like him behind a lead striker. Putting him of top means the ball has a longer way to go to get to him, even without our lousy midfield.
I like him with the ball running at players and somebody like Smith as an outlet. He is best when he has the ball and being up top, he'd see less of it.
How was he used at Leeds?

I agree which was the point of the post. We have been tailoring our side to accommodate players rather than the formation being picked to trounce opposition. Ross would be better with someone else up top or behind who is up top but surely two attacking wingers could offer him that luxury if they are making runs, cutting in ahead if him?