more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff 07.05.15

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 06, 2015, 04:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

The Sean Davis Column

Having been on such a good little run, it was disappointing to go away to Norwich and lose on the final day. But they seemed to want it a bit more – they're in the Play-Offs so they need to keep their form up to maintain momentum. Hopefully some of our players will have looked at them and thought 'hold on a minute, I want a bit of that next season' and took inspiration from what they've done and will try and produce it for us next year.

We ended the campaign in 17th place, and from the predicament we were in before Kit took over when we had just one point from seven games, we would have taken anything above the bottom three. But on the whole you've got to say it's a disappointing season. Overall, history shows that the first year after getting relegated can be quite difficult. We're building our Club again, we're almost building from scratch, but we've got a lot of players that are hungry and eager to prove themselves. Obviously we're disappointed but next season we're hoping these players, that have now got that experience in the Championship, will step up to the plate.

Looking back at the season just gone, in the first half of the campaign I'd say Lasse Vigen Christensen was our best player – he was excellent before he got injured. But for me, player of the year has got to be between either Ross McCormack or Marcus Bettinelli, and I think you'd have to give it to Ross. He's scored a lot of goals in a struggling side, he's always creative, and when Scotty's not there he's the captain, so he's a big character in the dressing room. He's our best player.

It was a toss-up, though, because Betts has been brilliant. Some people outside of Fulham might wonder how you could consider giving it to the goalkeeper with the number of goals we've conceded, but I think he's had a really, really positive season and I've been nothing but impressed with him. He's made a couple of mistakes that have been highlighted but if you'd have offered Betts over 40 games and survival in this team, he'd have bitten your hand off.

Kit has said that he's anticipating changes at the Club over the summer, and I think we should be excited about that. Looking at statistics and stuff like that, to get out of this league you need players that have Championship experience. It's a tough league, and normally the teams that do have that are the teams that get promoted. If we can get that experience in the core of the side, to get in there with these fantastic young players that the Academy has produced, then we stand a great chance of doing very well next season.

The season might be over but I'm pulling my boots on this month for the annual All Stars game. I'm really looking forward to it, it's always good to catch up with the old lads. The most important thing is to win, I don't care what anyone says. We've won every year so I'd never go into it to lose. Na, I'm only joking, the main thing is to progress with the Shooting Star Chase charity, and the Foundation. Every year it's got bigger and bigger, it's a good atmosphere and a good laugh, and the sun's usually out, touch wood. It's for a great cause and we've got a lot of players who have represented Fulham over the years who are going to come down and play, so it should be an all-round good day. It's all about the cause, though, and we're trying to raise as much money as possible.

After that I'm just like any other fan really over the summer, looking to see who we're bringing in, who's going out, the excitement, the build-up, waiting for the fixture list. I'm looking forward to all of the above and hopefully progressing next year.

Looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible at the Cottage on Saturday 23rd May!

Sean

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/06/the-sean-davis-column

Friendsoffulham

Fulham ready to offer goalkeeper a Newcastle escape route

Whites preparing for possible departure of Chelsea transfer target Marcus Bettinelli   

Rob Elliot of Newcastle United in action against Burnley at Turf Moor
Backup: Rob Elliot of Newcastle United in action against Burnley at Turf Moor

Fulham are ready to offer goalkeeper Rob Elliot a Newcastle United escape route.

The 29-year-old Londoner is becoming frustrated with life at St James' Park after playing understudy to first-choice Dutchman to Tim Krul.

Elliot would be keen to return to the capital and Craven Cottage is being tipped as a possible destination for the former Charlton shot-stopper.

Kit Symons wants England U21 international Marcus Bettinelli to remain between the sticks at Fulham next term but is aware he faces a summer of transfer speculation.

Rising star: Fulham's Marcus Bettinelli saves from Bournemouth's Callum Wilson

The talented 22-year-old has emerged as top dog for the Whites this term but is approaching the final 12 months of his contract, with Premier League champions Chelsea interested in signing him.

Jose Mourinho is putting plans in place for the possibility that Petr Cech will leave Stamford Bridge this summer after falling behind Thibaut Courtois in the pecking order.

Bettinelli could become the Belgian's new understudy and Mourinho visited the Cottage in April to make a personal check on his target in a 1-1 draw with Rotherham.

However, Symons is determined to hang onto the player, as well as highly-rated youngster Pat Roberts, and has moved to ward off potential suitors for the forthcoming transfer window.

Determined to keep his squad together: Fulham manager Kit Symons

He said: "We can keep them, for sure, and that's what we plan on doing.

"They've developed at this football club and they'll continue to develop here. It's a good place for young players to be.

"We want to keep hold of all our best young players, we want them to have a bright future with Fulham."

Bettinelli's father, Vic, is an academy coach at Chelsea and has helped the Special One identify the Fulham star a potential recruits. Roberts has been linked with a switch to Manchester City and Arsenal.

http://i1.getwestlondon.co.uk/incoming/article9170595.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Symons.jpg

Friendsoffulham

A report has stated that Fulham are keen on signing Rob Elliot from Newcastle this summer.

As per the Chronicle, Elliot has been linked with a summer transfer to Fulham after four years on Tyneside.

It is claimed that the 29-year-old is keen on a return to London, having left the capital when signing for Newcastle from Charlton four years ago, with Fulham the main club showing an interest in the stopper.

He still has one year left on his contract at St James' Park, but Elliot faces the prospect of being even further out of the first-team picture for the Magpies next term. He has managed just 22 appearances in his four seasons with the club, and with the impending arrival of Karl Darlow, Elliot could end up as third choice 'keeper.

There is no knowing whether Tim Krul will remain at the club into next season, but Elliot is set to be behind the Dutch international and Darlow in the pecking order for selection.

SEE ALSO: The key managerial mistake Carver has made with Newcastle

Freddie Woodman and Paul Woolston are both England youth internationals and are said to be considered for first-team chances, maybe moving Elliot even further away from potential match action.

At 29 he should be in the prime of his playing career, and it appears as if Newcastle will not stand in his way should Elliot look for a move to the Championship, with playing opportunities likely to be increased in the second tier.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/05/06/report-newcastle-goalkeeper-rob-elliot-wanted-by-fulham/

Friendsoffulham

How Fulham's 2014-15 disastrous season unfolded

Take a look at our timeline of the Cottagers' disappointing Championship campaign

Fulham's tumultuous season finally came to an end on Saturday with a 4-2 defeat at Carrow Road.

The Cottagers racked up 52 points from 46 games in their first campaign in the Championship since the 2000-01 season, winning 14 games in the process.

The club sacked Felix Magath in September less than 24 hours after losing 5-3 to Nottingham Forest - the club's sixth defeat of the season.

Fulham found themselves rooted to the bottom of the table with only a point to their name but the club enjoyed an initial spurt of form when ex-player Kit Symons was named caretaker manager.

However the Whites' form eventually staggered and the club found themselves embroiled in a relegation battle.

Fulham made themselves mathematically safe come April though thanks to a victory at already-relegated Blackpool and will look to improve their fortunes next season.

Take a look back at a campaign filled with more downs than ups for the Cottagers.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-fulhams-2014-15-disastrous-season-9191303

Friendsoffulham

The Craven Corner: Why Fulham fans must be patient...But mainly with the players

After securing safety in the division, most fans expected to start seeing a lot more of the promising young stars that our academy have produced, in the hope of seeing what the future could hold. Unfortunately for those fans, the remaining games have only been a repeat of the same players, many of whom are out of contract or will be sold in the summer. Personally, I don't understand why Kit Symons chose these players considering, a few games at the end of the season would have given some players the confidence that they have a place in the team next season; arguably vital to keeping the likes of Patrick Roberts away from the clutches of the big clubs. Even though, we fielded a fairly strong side, our first half performance was nothing short of atrocious and Norwich tore us apart time after time – I suppose it was a demonstration on how far we had fallen over the course of the year. A second half revival, a Matt Smith screamer wasn't enough to get us back into the game and our season ended like it started – in defeat. One thing we have learnt though is that it looks like Kit is staying in charge for next season and will get the backing with many reports suggesting that over a dozen players will come in with a few moving on. Is that the right choice? Who knows, it's a waiting game and I suppose it's only fair that we judge him on the squad he builds rather than dealing with what he was left with. Even though, some selection choices (I.E. Exclusion of Burn) are questionable and I'll never understand them, so my doubts over his tactics will remain unless some drastic changes. Most likely, we will lose the quality of Bryan Ruiz amongst others; Fernando Amorebieta, Hugo Rodallega, Kostas Mitroglou & Maarten Stekelenburg which may be sad for some, but the removal of wages will be hugely beneficial for the club with some reporting Hugo was on around £60k a week. I would probably move on Tim Hoogland, Adil Chihi, Nikolay Bodurov & Kay Voser with quite a lot of the younger players finding loan moves – Moussa Dembele, Ange-Freddy Plumain & Liam Donnelly. It's a time for change at the club and it's not going to be a promotion season next year, it's going to take time to build it up. We have an incredibly successful owner who will finance the club and we are lucky to have those resources. Yes, he has been guided down the wrong paths but the main thing is he has spent throughout the managerial changes. While, he may not be a football man - he continues to spend, he is not to blame; it's the advisors that have got it wrong. One thing that we have learned this season is that we have taken points from 15 of the 22 games Dan Burn has played. Whenever Dan has been in the side we have been a stronger unit, so Kit has to realise that he is the main man to take the club forward and must be first choice considering he's captain quality too. We have a promising spine in this club with Marcus Bettinelli, Dan Burn, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Lasse Vigen Christensen, Ross McCormack & Matt Smith through the centre - we just need to supply some more quality around those to have a team we can be proud of again. Out of the loanees, Kostas Stafylidis will be moved on with Bayer Leverkusen wanting around £3m for his services. James Husband looks a steal if we can get a permanent deal sorted. While, Seko Fofana has been tweeting which gives me the impression he won't be returning which is a shame, he's provided much needed energy in the engine room. Danny Guthrie could be a good addition, should Scott Parker's legs give up. He seems to ping the ball about well and with a good pre-season to get in shape he could be a good buy. Michael Turner, I would sign up - He looks comfortable next to Burn and they both seemed very vocal and commanding when alongside each other and have been the best defensive partnership we have had at the Cottage all year. As for the other loanees, Richard Lee was bizarre and will retire, Thomas Eisfeld will return a better player, Chris David will stay abroad I imagine and Jazz Richards if cheap could be an option long-term. It's going to be a long summer, but time to support the club through the transition and forget this season.

Read more at: http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham

Friendsoffulham

Report: Fulham eye Newcastle goalkeeper Rob Elliot

Rob Elliot in action for Newcastle on November 29, 2014

Newcastle United goalkeeper Rob Elliot has reportedly been made a summer transfer target of Fulham manager Kit Symons.

It is believed that the Greenwich-born 29-year-old is eager to leave the Magpies due to a lack of starting opportunties, as well as habouring a desire to return to London.

That has captured the attention of Symons, who is eager to bolster his goalkeeping ranks before the start of next season, according to the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.

Elliot joined Newcastle from Charlton Athletic four years ago, but he has only gone on to make 22 appearances in all competitions.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/newcastle-united/transfer-talk/news/report-fulham-eye-newcastle-goalkeeper_221296.html

Friendsoffulham

Matt Smith's message on Twitter to Jay Emmanuel-Thomas

Former Leeds United forward Matt Smith hopes that ex-Arsenal prospect Jay Emmanuel-Thomas finds a club soon after leaving Bristol City.

Former Leeds United forward Matt Smith has taken to social networking site Twitter to give his reaction to the news that Jay Emmanuel-Thomas will leave Bristol City.

Forward Emmanuel-Thomas's time with City has come to an end, as he will officially leave the League One champions in the summer transfer window.

The former Arsenal prospect himself announced the news on Twitter on Tuesday, and now Fulham forward Smith has wished him the best of luck in his future.

Smith, who joined Fulham from Championship rivals Leeds United in the summer of 2014, played with Emmanuel-Thomas during a loan spell at City earlier this season.

It seems that during their time together at the Ashton Gate Stadium, the duo forged a good relationship with each other.

It remains to be seen what Emmanuel-Thomas now does. Much was expected of the 24-year-old attacker when he was at Arsenal, but his career has not gone as he would have hoped to.

SEE ALSO: Player Arsenal sold last summer could finally make his debut tonight

The former England Under-21 international left Arsenal and moved to Ipswich Town in 2011, but he struggled at Portman Road and joined City in 2013.

And now Emmanuel-Thomas is back on the lookout for a new club.

Will Jay Emmanuel-Thomas find a club in the Championship?

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/05/06/matt-smiths-message-on-twitter-to-jay-emmanuel-thomas/

Friendsoffulham

Almost Half-Price Mitroglou!

Indicative of that mad month when our fate was more-or-less sealed.

One day when somebody sits down and takes a long hard look at the reasons why our fortunes dipped so much in the space of such a short space of time the name of Kostas Mitroglou might well come up.

The signing of the Greek international was synonymous with how panic became the buzz word as different regimes sort to stem the tide and splashed the cash believing they were bringing a saviour to Craven Cottage.

Now Mitroglou may well have scored prolifically from whence he came but he never got near t hitting the proverbial barn door when he was at Craven Cottage.

Relegation saw Mitroglou moved off on loan and the 27-year-old striker was out of sight and out of mind.

It now seems that the player, who cost Fulham £13.4 million will be off-loaded for as little as £7 million, to a Turkish club, the devaluation indicative of the panic that spread through the club in January 2014 and caused our demise as a top-flight club.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=399036#ixzz3ZOCtCiN0

Friendsoffulham

Striker Wanted

As Kit Symons looks to re-shape our squad for next season, looking to juggle the finances as well as give us a chance of getting our Premier League status back, the name of a striker we`re interested in has become public knowledge.

It seems that Fulham are looking at bringing the out-of-contract former Bristol City striker, Jay-Emmanuel Thomas to Craven Cottage.

However, it appears that if Fulham are to be successful then they must fight off overtures from Birmingham City for the player.

We`ll keep our ears and eyes open for any further developments.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=399037#ixzz3ZODFNRzm

Friendsoffulham

Ross McCormack was so good, we don't need to discuss anyone else for player of the year

Normally, I'd put a poll up so the fans could decide the player of the year. I don't think there's much of a point in doing that after this season. If you're picking someone other than Ross McCormack for the player of the year, I simply can't understand you.

Ross was the best player on the squad and it wasn't even close. He was the main scoring threat on the team, netting 19 goals (17 in the league). But he also was the main creator on the squad, leading the team with 11 assists (9 in the league). And it wasn't just great finishing by others that led to his assist numbers. He was also number one on the squad in key passes at 1.8 per game. He was one of the best players at taking others on with 1.2 successful dribbles per game. Not only was he great when he was on the field, he was iron man, playing 400 more minutes than anyone else. How many squads have a forward lead their team in minutes?

Fulham were a pretty awful team this year, and someone has to be the player of the year. Last year there was debate between Steve Sidwell, Ashkan Dejagah, and David Stockdale. They all had good seasons relative to Fulham's, but that was a low bar. For Ross though, he had a great season relative to anyone. Patrick Bramford won Player of the Year in the Championship. He scored as much as Ross; but played 1000 less minutes, had 7 fewer assists, fewer key passes, fewer dribbles, and fewer shots per game. If the question was which player has the brighter future, Bramford is the pick as he's only 21; but I don't think Fulham would have been better if the two players were swapped.

It's not just Bramford though, it was a giant snub that Ross wasn't even in the top 10 in voting. Ross was in the top ten in the league for both goals and assists. He was top twenty in key passes. I'm not sure what more you could have asked him to do. Fulham may have a lot of holes to fill, but Ross McCormack is a solid piece to build on.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2015/5/6/8561017/ross-mccormack-was-so-good-we-dont-need-to-discuss-anyone-else-for

Friendsoffulham

Fulham's record signing at the exit door

Greek international Kostas Mitroglou is finally set to leave Craven Cottage on a permanent basis following his turbulent time at the Championship club.

Arriving from Greek Champions Olympiacos in last season's January transfer window, The Cottagers paid a club-record fee of £12 million for the striker.

To say Mitroglou hasn't repaid this fee to the Whites is a bit of an understatement; he has played just three games for Fulham and failed to net on each occasion.

At the start of the 2014-15 season the 27 year-old was sent on loan back to his native Greece and his previous club Olympiacos.

Showing the form which made Fulham spend so big on him, Mitroglou has scored 19 goals in 32 games this season, helping his team record back-to-back Greece Superleague titles.

However, his permanent buyer is not likely to be the Greek giants as they cannot afford the price tag the attacker has; instead it seems as if Turkish side Fenerbache are the leading club for his signature.

Fenerbache have no doubt been impressed with the goal-scoring exploits of Mitroglou this season and see him as someone who could aid in their title ambitions in Turkey.

A further stipulation to the deal would be the presence of Emmanuel Emenike as part exchange, as the striker scored just four goals in 27 appearances this term – meaning he is surplus to requirements at the Turkish club.

http://the72.co.uk/26500/fulhams-record-signing-at-the-exit-door/

Friendsoffulham

The Fulham FC Foundation is delighted to announce that former Whites full-back John Pantsil has pledged his name to the cause ahead of the Charity All Stars match at Craven Cottage on Saturday 23rd May.

John joined Fulham in 2008 from West Ham United and made more than 90 appearances for the Club, helping to secure our record high finish of seventh in the Premier League in his debut season. He also featured in 10 of our UEFA Europa League matches en route to the Final the following year.

A buccaneering defender who could operate at left or right-back, Pantsil made 88 appearances for Ghana during his career, and won a place in the hearts of the Fulham faithful with his passion and exuberant laps of honour round the pitch following a successful result.

John will join a host of former Fulham stars on the day, including Maik Taylor, Rufus Brevett, Barry Hayles and captain Sean Davis. The Fulham All Stars team will be lining up against a Celebrity All Stars XI managed by Game of Thrones actor Sean Bean.

Adding steel to the Celebrity All Stars team will be two of Pantsil's international colleagues – midfielder Laryea Kingston and former Juventus star Stephen Appiah.

More names will be announced on fulhamfc.com, in due course. Tickets are on sale priced at £12 adults and £5 concessions (under-16s) and can be purchased at fulhamfc.com/tickets or by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) - seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Tickets can also be purchased in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

Please note that the price of an adult ticket increases to £15 on the day of the match.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/07/pantsil-returns