more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff 13.05.15

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 12, 2015, 06:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Johnny's Story

In 1962, Fulham's most famous son penned his footballing story so far. It's All In The Game sees Johnny Haynes regale readers with tales from his career, told at the height of his fame as England captain, and each week on fulhamfc.com we'll be serialising his words. This is Johnny's Story.
Chapter Nine – Wembley

Munich was the most appalling disaster in sport in my lifetime; the newspapers had the story and its sequel on the front pages for weeks after the event. The players who had to keep the club going played before home crowds which critics often felt were on the borders of hysteria. Nevertheless, they had by prodigious effort, reached the semi-final of the Cup and were due to meet Fulham at Villa Park. Looking back on the semi-final and the entire season, we might have predicted that it was not on the cards for us to win. Any other explanation is difficult to find!

We were distinctly better than Manchester United and were leading 2-1 just before the interval when Jimmy Langley was injured and carried off. Then before Langley had reached the dressing-room, Bobby Charlton snapped at a lucky rebound and beat Macedo all the way with a great shot, a goal scored in the extra minutes allowed for Langley's injury. The game ended at 2-2, and we went to Highbury for the replay. This time Manchester United had the edge on us, and were always in front throughout the game.
"The referee disallowed the goal because he reckoned I had handled the ball but he was entirely wrong. Then within seconds Manchester United had scored again to make it 5-3 instead of a possible 4-4 and the match was over. We were out of the Cup and United were at Wembley."

The crisis came when we had made it 4-3 for United, with five minutes left, and we were storming hell for leather at Gregg for the equaliser. A cross came from the left which I breasted down, and turned to Roy Dwight, who ran it home to equalise. The referee disallowed the goal because he reckoned I had handled the ball but he was entirely wrong. Then within seconds Manchester United had scored again to make it 5-3 instead of a possible 4-4 and the match was over. We were out of the Cup and United were at Wembley.

I was absolutely choked up. Tony Macedo had in fact made some errors which cost us a couple of goals but when, after the match, a newspaper reporter wanted to know what I thought of it all, I said I had no comment. Sometimes that looks even worse in print than the most outrageous comment, but having acquired a good insight into the workings of football reporters, I thought it safer. Later in a radio interview I said that there was no point in blaming Macedo and that if he had not played so brilliantly in the earlier matches, we might never have reached the semi-final.

It's All In The Game was published by Arthur Baker Limited.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/10/johnnys-story

Friendsoffulham

McCormack: Aiming High

Watch Ross McCormack review the Whites' season, and his own, before stating his ambitions for 2015/16.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZbHx5aos58

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/12/mccormack-review

Friendsoffulham

Which Premier League free agents should Fulham snap up?

Whites could dip their hand into the free transfer bargain basement this summer

Fulham have already started planning for next season after Kit Symons last week informed the squad who will be part of his plans for another crack at the Championship.

Symons gave fitness programmes the players he intends to hang onto at a post-season briefing after the Whites' disappointing year.

The likes of Bryan Ruiz, Kostas Stafylidis, Kay Voser, Gabor Kiraly, Fernando Amorebieta, Kostas Mitroglou and Maarten Stekelenburg could all be on their way out of Craven Cottage.

However, attention will soon turn to who may come into the side as the transfer window prepares to swing open on July 1.

And with more than 70 Premier League players' contracts set to expire next month, are there any bargains that Fulham should keep an eye on?

Could Brede Hangeland make a shock return to the Cottage now Felix Magath is out the door or maybe even Darren Bent?

Brad Jones would be available and could prove useful if Marcus Bettinelli is snared by west London rivals Chelsea during the close season.

There's plenty of other experienced campaigners who could do a job and move under the Bosman ruling.

Here's a list of top-flight stars who could be on the move this summer - and will be available on a free transfer.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/premier-league-free-agents-should-9241415

Friendsoffulham

Billy's Excellence

There was no-one more excited at Fulham FC than Club mascot Billy the Badger following the Football League Family Excellence Awards.

Not only did Fulham win the Football League Family Excellence Award, but our friendly Badger walked away with a trophy of his own – the Making the Most of Your Mascot 2014/15 Award.

It was his season-long enthusiastic greeting of fans outside the stadium, posing for pictures before a match, personally greeting fans in the family zone, as well as his entertaining dancing skills on the sidelines which bagged him the award.

Congratulations Billy!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/12/billy-rewarded

Friendsoffulham

Reports: Chelsea want Fulham's Bettinelli as their third-choice keeper

Chelsea are interested in signing Fulham's Marcus Bettinelli to act as their third-choice goalkeeper next season, according to the Evening Standard.

The recently crowned Premier League champions started this season with Thibaut Courtois as their first-choice keeper, with Petr Cech and Mark Schwarzer as second and third respectively, although the latter moved to Leicester City in January.

Since then Jamal Blackman and Mitchell Beeney have both acted as Chelsea's third-choice, but with Cech reportedly looking likely to leave as well in the summer (via Mirror), the West London club are looking at their options.

Chelsea may miss out on Marcus Bettinelli over playing time concerns

Bettinelli averages 1.62 saves-per-goal this season

The aforementioned report claims that they want to bring in Robert Green from Queens Park Rangers to become Courtois' back-up, with Bettinelli then acting as the number three.

Earlier reports in The Telegraph have suggested that the 22-year-old is not too keen on the move though, as he is worried that a decrease in playing time will not be good for his career.

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/reports-chelsea-want-fulhams-bettinelli-as-their-third-choice-keeper/375035#0Jm12hpEQb5ulubC.99

Friendsoffulham

Chelsea Still After Bettinelli

Not that long ago there was the suggestion, in the media, Marcus Bettinelli was wanted by Chelsea.

Our neighbours, but not friends, from down the road, we relooking to take our England U21 keeper to bolster their keeping ranks with the Premier League title holders set to lose Petr Cech this summer.

At the time it was expected that Bettinelli would be the #2 to the highly rated Thibaut Courtois.

However, the situation appears to be changing all the time!

Today a third West London club, Queens Park Rangers has entered the conundrum. Relegated last weekend, it is being reported that 35 year-old Robert Green is wanted by Chelsea and that a £2 million fee could change hands.

But, despite the distinct possibility of Green becoming the #2 to Courtois, it seems Jose Mourinho`s outfit are still after Bettinelli, who would then be the third choice for Chelsea.

Whilst a move to Chelsea might, for some, be appealing, it seems that, quite rightly, Marcus isn`t thrilled about the prospect of a move considering his playing time will be dramatically reduced.

But, as they say, money often talks!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=399599#ixzz3Zxfo9BVS

Friendsoffulham

Will Kit Be Given Another Season?

It remains to be seen whether Kit Symons hangs on to the managerial job at Craven Cottage.

The Welshman managed to steer the good ship clear of the relegation zone after inheriting a club that was in disarray following the carnage wreaked by one Felix Magath.

The season may not have ended as we hoped but it could have been so much worse, but for the splendid efforts of Symons Fulham could now, conceivably, be staring at life in League One.

17th might not be the position we anticipated back in August 2014, when all our thoughts were geared towards promotion but circumstances, in the end, dictated that we should be grateful for it.

Talk, in the last week or so, has linked the out-going Brentford boss, Mark Warburton, as our possible manager next season, but it remains to be seen whether our owner, Shahid Khan, decides to wield the axe or keep the faith with somebody who took on the job in the most trying of circumstances.

Kit, talking to the media, admits that the style of football we played wasn`t what many wanted but also that it served a purpose, he was also aware that he was always going to ship some criticism when he remarked,

'Sometimes it was a bit ugly.

'I didn't enjoy watching it, and a lot other people made it quite clear they didn't enjoy it. But we needed to get results.

'Criticism is a part of a job, and you shouldn't be doing the job if you can't take it.'

Exactly and I`m of the opinion Kit has earned the right to be given another chance next season, but I`m just a mere supporter as opposed to the owner.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=399600#ixzz3ZxgO0yRd

Friendsoffulham

Will They Stay or Will They Go?

The first in a close-season special features none other than Scott Parker.

In what was a disappointing season for Fulham, I`m wondering whether the midfielder, now approaching the veteran stage of his career, will stay with is at Craven Cottage or be moved on either voluntarily of by compulsory means.

Last season Parker used all his experience to do his utmost to keep us in the Championship but his season was interrupted by far too many injuries, quite possibly a consequence of dropping into the more robust Championship.

However, there`s no doubting that having survived the ill-fated reign of Felix Magath, Scott`s influence in the dressing room was hugely appreciated, but the big question remains - will Scott Parker still be at Craven Cottage come the start of the 2015 / 2016 season?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=399602#ixzz3ZxhTGkq5